• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Schumer changes Senate dress code

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

Shaul

Premium Member
I suppose if they can't act like professionals there isn't much point to dressing like one either.

Will we see any Senators dressed in drag soon?

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
There should be a dress like a Satanic cultist day. Or at least, dress like Darth Sidious or Emperor day. (Since someone brought up hoodies)

esmith

Veteran Member
Oh, you mean the Fetterman dress code.
You do realize that the new dress code only applies to Senators and not anyone else.
“Senators can now [wear] what ever (sic) they want. However, others entering the chamber must comply with the dress code. Coats/ties for men. Business attire for women,

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
You do realize that the new dress code only applies to Senators and not anyone else.
“Senators can now [wear] what ever (sic) they want. However, others entering the chamber must comply with the dress code. Coats/ties for men. Business attire for women,
Do as I say, not as I do.

Sounds typical of government.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Rules for thee, but not for me.

Last edited:

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I think we need to democratise our Senator's wardrobes.

From now on, every outfit a Senator chooses to appear in must pass a majority vote from their constituents.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
They should be forced to wear the stupid corporate costumes fast food workers are forced to wear

cant-use-this-photo.jpeg

anna.

colors your eyes with what's not there
This makes a lot of sense, if you look at the actual before and after. From the Axios link in the OP:

Zoom in: The updated rule will go into effect this week, according to a Senate official. The change applies only to senators — staff members will still be required to follow the old dress code.​
  • Under that standard, men and women have been required to wear business attire on the Senate floor — which has meant coat and tie for men.
  • But senators fresh off a plane or from the gym could circumvent the dress code by voting from the edge of the Senate floor, with one foot still in the cloakroom.
  • They could hold their thumb up or down to indicate their vote and then step back out of the chamber. Technically, they weren't considered to be in violation of the floor's dress code. Fetterman and other senators have voted this way.
The intrigue: It's unclear whether the Senate dress code is actually an official, written policy. It appears to be more of an informal custom, enforced by the Sergeant at Arms.
  • No senior staff contacted by Axios on Friday could find a written record of the rules — an omission that also has puzzled some on social media.
Between the lines: Five years ago, Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) petitioned her colleagues to make some changes in the dress code, according to New York Times reporter Jennifer Steinhauer's book "The Firsts: the Inside Story of the Women Reshaping Congress."
  • After some grumbling by males, the standards for women's attire were relaxed. Afterward, women on the Senate floor were allowed to show their arms. Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (I-Ariz.), a triathlete, often goes sleeveless.

So: they've relaxed unwritten, unfindable rules, so they don't have to do the rather ridiculous "one foot in and one foot out" voting when they aren't dressed appropriately, and wow! women were finally able to show their arms! Progress!!

F1fan

Veteran Member

F1fan

Veteran Member
I suppose if they can't act like professionals there isn't much point to dressing like one either.
Then Trump should dress like a two year old, as he throws his constant tantrum. Give him a juice box and makeup.
Will we see any Senators dressed in drag soon?
What, and more fully represent the diversity of Americans? That's not what republicans do.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So: they've relaxed unwritten, unfindable rules, so they don't have to do the rather ridiculous "one foot in and one foot out" voting when they aren't dressed appropriately, and wow! women were finally able to show their arms! Progress!!
Next step...
Allow men to show their arms too.

I wonder how the rules address non-binary people?
Does the Sergeant At Arms inspect genitals to decide
which dress code applies?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
My wife said she heard that it's based on the "dress-down Friday" trend.

If nudism is allowed, I'll never watch C-Span again.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That quote with all of the corrections was not made by Schumer. It was made by a FOX correspondent:

' “Senators can now [wear] what ever (sic) they want. However, others entering the chamber must comply with the dress code. Coats/ties for men. Business attire for women,” Fox News journalist Chad Pergram said in a post to X, confirming the Axios report. '

The "(sic)" usage is more correct once one realizes that it was a quote of a written statement, a reporter in this case, than a quote of someone speaking. It can be almost impossible to claim "He said 'what ever' instead of 'whatever' " if someone is speaking. There could have just been a gap between syllables. In a written message the error becomes obvious.