• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science Fiction

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
For fantasy, I can't recommend Jacqueline Carey highly enough. The Kushiel series, which consists of two trilogies, and a third in the works, is my favorite story of all time. Profound, disturbing at times, and gorgeously written, it's one I return to time and time again.

Here's a decent review of Kushiel's Dart, the first book.

I'm not quite as enamored of the second trilogy, but it's still head and shoulders above anything else I've read in recent years.

Separate from the Kushiel series is The Sundering duology. It was written as a single, massive novel, but the publisher made her split it in two: Banewreaker, followed by Godslayer. For this, she lifted the entire structure of Lord of the Rings, then turned it on its head by telling it from the perspective of "evil." And I simply cannot do justice to the beauty of the writing. The prologue of Banewreaker moves me to tears every time I read it, and that's not easily done.

What really separates Carey from the pack is, imo, the depth of her writing. She's a former theologian, and uses her stories to explore such concepts as the nature of evil (The Sundering), free will and love (Kushiel series). Her work is profound, true myths in the best sense of the word, and my repeated readings never fail to reveal yet another layer of meaning.

I have to mention the writing itself again. Carey is a true master of her craft. Phedre's voice is the most distinctive I have ever read, you can HEAR her narrating. Carey's phrasing is as formal as Tolkein's, yet somehow more accessible, more human, elegant yet warm.

Anyway, I could ramble on about this for hours, so I'll stop now. ;)

rojse

RF Addict
I'm due to get myself a new lot of books to read, so I'll keep a look out for Jacqueline Carey.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I should point out, they're not for the squeamish. Phedre, the heroine, is a sexual masochist and sacred prostitute. The sex scenes are sometimes explicit, though never gratuitous, and can be (intentionally) disturbing, especially in the last installment.

rojse

RF Addict
I should point out, they're not for the squeamish. Phedre, the heroine, is a sexual masochist and sacred prostitute. The sex scenes are sometimes explicit, though never gratuitous, and can be (intentionally) disturbing, especially in the last installment.

You've just intrigued me more, Storm, rather than turned me away from the books. now I must have a look at these works.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
The following are philosophy-heavy and simply great Sci-Fi novels (* denotes especially good):

Arthur C. Clark

2001/2010/2061
*Childhood's End

Dan Simmons

*Hyperion
Fall of Hyperion
Endymion

Isaac Asimov

*The Foundation Series

Philip K. Dick

*Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (aka "Blade Runner")
We Can Remember It All For You Wholesale (aka "Total Recall")
*VALIS

Kurt Vonnegut
*Slaughterhouse Five
Cat's Cradle

Breakfast of Champions

Ray Bradbury
*Farenheit 451

These are the classics - most of them would be in a sci-fi "canon" if there were one (except maybe Simmons, he's too recent).

Last edited:

rojse

RF Addict
doppelgänger;1371536 said:
The following are philosophy-heavy and simply great Sci-Fi novels (* denotes especially good):

Arthur C. Clark

2001/2010/2061
*Childhood's End

Dan Simmons

*Hyperion
Fall of Hyperion
Endymion

Isaac Asimov

*The Foundation Series

Philip K. Dick

*Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (aka "Blade Runner")
We Can Remember It All For You Wholesale (aka "Total Recall")
*VALIS

Kurt Vonnegut
*Slaughterhouse Five
Cat's Cradle
Breakfast of Champions

I have read quite a lot of the books mentioned there, and can recommend Dick, Clarke, and Vonnegut, particularly the mentions of "Childhood's End", "2001", "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep", and "Slaughterhouse Five".

Another Dick book I would have to recommend is "Ubik".

Scruffitude

Scruffy Nerf Herder
If I may be so bold: Neal Stephenson - Snow Crash

If I remember the plot right, it delves into themes involving religion, politics, and human nature. It's a fairly fast-paced book, and has mature themes. Also, kinda off topic but Stephenson's idea of a Metaverse is very prescient considering the existence of certain Massively Multiplayer Online communities.

rojse

RF Addict
If I may be so bold: Neal Stephenson - Snow Crash

If I remember the plot right, it delves into themes involving religion, politics, and human nature. It's a fairly fast-paced book, and has mature themes. Also, kinda off topic but Stephenson's idea of a Metaverse is very prescient considering the existence of certain Massively Multiplayer Online communities.

Snow Crash was a weird book - it starts off as a parody of cyberpunk books (mafia pizza delivery guys, a guy named Hiro Protagonist that wields two katanas) but saoon starts to take itself quite seriously, which is somewhat disconcerting. It's not a bad book, but it is extremely jarring.

And the Metaverse is an quite accurate depiction of things like Second Life and the like.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
The only Sci-Fi book I've read as been Dune. And some Warhammer 40k books if you count them(can't remember which ones though)

rojse

RF Addict
The only Sci-Fi book I've read as been Dune. And some Warhammer 40k books if you count them(can't remember which ones though)

That sounds so sad...:(

If you actually think about the books you have read, some of them would be SF and they would have slipped under your radar. Have you read George Orwell's 1984, for example? Aldous Huxley's Brave New World? Any books by Kurt Vonnegut?

rojse

RF Addict
I thought Dune was overrated, myself.

You didn't like the commentary about the interwining of religion and politics? Messiahdom? Religious prophecy and it's manipulation? And disregarding religion, the thoughts about the environment or politics?

Oh, and I loved the story about the political infighting between the two Houses.

If you haven't guessed, it is one of my favourite SF books.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
All that was good, but the story didn't grab me. And without the story, what's the point?

rojse

RF Addict
All that was good, but the story didn't grab me. And without the story, what's the point?

I respect your view Storm, but I must disagree - I loved the story. The feud between two great houses, the story of the planet Arrakis, the young man seeking to avenge his father...

Every time I read it, I get something more out of it. The first time I read it, I enjoyed it for the central story. The next time, I enjoyed it for the discussion about nature and how our actions might affect it. After that, having gotten into religion, I enjoyed the discussions of prophethood and messiahdom.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
That sounds so sad...:(

If you actually think about the books you have read, some of them would be SF and they would have slipped under your radar. Have you read George Orwell's 1984, for example? Aldous Huxley's Brave New World? Any books by Kurt Vonnegut?

I've read a little bit of 1984, but not t he whole book. There's is another book that my mom has but I can't remember that title. I'll find out and post it later, it early here.
Edit: I remembered it. Battlefield Earth.

Last edited:

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I've read a little bit of 1984, but not t he whole book. There's is another book that my mom has but I can't remember that title. I'll find out and post it later, it early here.
Edit: I remembered it. Battlefield Earth.
Battlefield Earth is by L. Ron Hubbard, the creator of Scientology. If I remember (long time ago) it reads like most of Hubbard's SF, basically a comic book in print instead of graphics, IMHO. Also an awesomely BAD John Travolta movie.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
I'd recommend anything by Neal Asher, if you like fast paced action filled sci-fi. The Line of Polity is all about a world ruled by a Theocracy.