• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientists and Religion

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Science and, presumably, most scientists, work methodically, from observations to theorems to testing and re-evaluation. Science is an evidence based research modality.

Religion is usually faith, not evidence based. It's not falsifiable or even tested.
Scientists, used to following the evidence and withholding belief in unsupported theorems, would be expected to do the same with religious dogma. A low level of religious faith would be expected.

A

Jim Holt said that Science « is ressurecting » God.
Is this « trend » confirmed?

I found this pool but I don ‘t know if it’s reliable:
http://www.pewforum.org/2009/11/05/scientists-and-belief/

That study is already outdated. I believe with the insurgence of the LGBTQWXYZ the amount of those believing in God has diminished. Not only has the reprobate minds of the LGBTQWXYZ affected their own, but also the general public and the scientific world as well. Weak believers have been shamed into denouncing God by the secularists who have stated the homosexual acts are sin. People don't want to be known as homophobic.
There has been lots of scientists that have become creation scientist proving the Bible, especially Genesis is factual. It's pretty interesting if you have any curiosity and aren't easily shamed.

Science and, presumably, most scientists, work methodically, from observations to theorems to testing and re-evaluation. Science is an evidence based research modality.

Religion is usually faith, not evidence based. It's not falsifiable or even tested.
Scientists, used to following the evidence and withholding belief in unsupported theorems, would be expected to do the same with religious dogma. A low level of religious faith would be expected.

A

Scientists and believers have to begin looking at the physical evidence from their own beginning points of understanding. It's easily possible to prove Genesis true if you start from the belief in God and that the Bible is true. Scientists have to take geological evidence and assume the Big Bang is a true theory. They have to assume that the universe and earth are billions of years old. When they do, they have to guess on much of the time line. And, they have to make other assumptions about human beings not being made in the likeness of our Father in Heaven.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
Scientists and believers have to begin looking at the physical evidence from their own beginning points of understanding. It's easily possible to prove Genesis true if you start from the belief in God and that the Bible is true. Scientists have to take geological evidence and assume the Big Bang is a true theory. They have to assume that the universe and earth are billions of years old. When they do, they have to guess on much of the time line. And, they have to make other assumptions about human beings not being made in the likeness of our Father in Heaven.
I don't know what Kool-Aid you've been drinking, but that's not how anything works. Assume the Big Bang is a true theory? You don't have to assume anything, it has already been verified by many reputable scientists.

TransmutingSoul

One Planet, One People, Please!
Premium Member

A

What is not considered with this comment, is that there are more senses than our 5 material senses.

Faith is always tested in the Spiritual State and has ample evidence in this Mind. In fact it is the only sense that can not be taken away from a person when death visits them upon this earth.

Faith does not need science to confirm or refute this well know truth, it is what it is.

Peace be upon you and all

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That study is already outdated. I believe with the insurgence of the LGBTQWXYZ the amount of those believing in God has diminished. Not only has the reprobate minds of the LGBTQWXYZ affected their own, but also the general public and the scientific world as well. Weak believers have been shamed into denouncing God by the secularists who have stated the homosexual acts are sin. People don't want to be known as homophobic.
There has been lots of scientists that have become creation scientist proving the Bible, especially Genesis is factual. It's pretty interesting if you have any curiosity and aren't easily shamed.

I think you have your terms backwards. Weak believers are those that demand the Genesis myths be true, otherwise they can't seem to believe in God. People with a strong faith can both accept reality and still believe in salvation.

And "creation scientists" is a contradiction in terms. Almost every creationist site requires those that work for them not to use the scientific method, so it is very hard for them to honestly claim to be scientists at that point.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Jim Holt said that Science « is ressurecting » God.
Is this « trend » confirmed?

I found this pool but I don ‘t know if it’s reliable:
http://www.pewforum.org/2009/11/05/scientists-and-belief/
The Pew polls are good from what I've seen so I would take that result as being reasonably accurate. It does note that the belief in God has not changed much amongst scientists over years.

I would also not state that science is "resurrecting" God but that some current theories makes some aspects of religion or perhaps spirituality more attractive.

I don't know what Kool-Aid you've been drinking, but that's not how anything works. Assume the Big Bang is a true theory? You don't have to assume anything, it has already been verified by many reputable scientists.

LOL!!! Many reputable scientists are now slowly backing away from a Big Bang. No one is disbuting the size and distances of stars and galaxies. But, how we came into being is changing based on new information.
But, once again, that information is “interpreted” based on the belief the universe is old. While a creationist can interpret what is seen and known differently and theorize differently too. The fact is, no one really knows for sure. Except God :)

What is not considered with this comment, is that there are more senses than our 5 material senses.

Faith is always tested in the Spiritual State and has ample evidence in this Mind. In fact it is the only sense that can not be taken away from a person when death visits them upon this earth.

Faith does not need science to confirm or refute this well know truth, it is what it is.

Peace be upon you and all

Yep! Faith does not need empirical evidence.

Milton Platt

There has been lots of scientists that have become creation scientist proving the Bible, especially Genesis is factual

Please point others to the papers describing the research that have been published in peer reviewed journals, or barring that, list the most prominent names and others can look up the papers if they exist. What is the branch of science called that scientifically examines the Bible?

Please point others to the papers describing the research that have been published in peer reviewed journals, or barring that, list the most prominent names and others can look up the papers if they exist. What is the branch of science called that scientifically examines the Bible?

Almost fell off my chair laughing about you wanting prominent named scientists as if you know any. Also, you would only accept those who believe as you do. But, I can refer you to sites you could actually look up yourself that has work from PhD’s from renowned universities. Try doing some balanced investigation yourself. I have.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
LOL!!! Many reputable scientists are now slowly backing away from a Big Bang. No one is disbuting the size and distances of stars and galaxies. But, how we came into being is changing based on new information.
But, once again, that information is “interpreted” based on the belief the universe is old. While a creationist can interpret what is seen and known differently and theorize differently too. The fact is, no one really knows for sure. Except God :)
What "reputable scientists" are you talking about. Claims without support are not very convincing.