• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientists Create Building Block for Life - God Not Required

TechTed

Just read a brief article stating that some scientists at the University of Manchester, UK, created a ribonucleotide. Creating a building block of RNA is a feat that has never been performed. The ribonucleotide was created from simple chemicals under conditions that might have existed on earth millions of years ago.

This gives more plausibility to the "RNA World' hypothesis which suggests that life began when RNA, a polymer related to DNA that can duplicate itself and catalyse reactions, emerged from the primordial soup.

"This is extremely strong evidence for the RNA world. We don't know if these chemical steps reflect what actually happened, but before this work there were large doubts that it could happen at all," says Donna Blackmond, a chemist at Imperial College, London.

Also within the past year, Scripps researchers created RNA enzymes that replicated themselves without human intervention.

It is quite possible that in our lifetime scientists will be able to create synthetic life from inert chemicals.

SoyLeche

meh...
Reminds me of the story about the scientists who had figured out how to make life out of the dust of the Earth. They went to God and said, "We don't need you - we can create life all on our own."

God said, "Show me."

They bent down and started collecting dust, and God said, "Wait a minute - make your own dust".

rojse

RF Addict
Reminds me of the story about the scientists who had figured out how to make life out of the dust of the Earth. They went to God and said, "We don't need you - we can create life all on our own."

God said, "Show me."

They bent down and started collecting dust, and God said, "Wait a minute - make your own dust".

That story reminds me of the story of the scientists who went to God and said: "We can do anything that you can do."

God said: "Well, can you kill all of the firstborn children in Egypt?"

TechTed

Assuming that scientists will continue to make progress in this area and eventually be able to create life (some scientists believe they will be able to do this within a few decades)...

How do you think the religious community will, or should, respond to this? What message will be given to the faithful?

I think we can imagine how the extremists will react, but what about the more mainstream religious denominations?

For those of you who believe God is the creator of life, would this accomplishment weaken your faith or strengthen it, and why?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
My theology couldn't get much further from the mainstream, but this doesn't trouble it a bit. The divine qualities of our reality render abiogenesis inevitable... recreating it was merely a matter of time. (And btw, God is still very much involved.)

As for my religion, I imagine my fellow UUs will be either excited or indifferent, depending on their interests.

Please do try to remember that not all of us religious types are rabidly ignorant anti-science wackos.

Enlighten

Assuming that scientists will continue to make progress in this area and eventually be able to create life (some scientists believe they will be able to do this within a few decades)...

It wouldn't surprise me if this will happen, science is so advanced that anything is possible.

I was just reading this earlier: BBC NEWS | Health | Scientists claim sperm 'first'

How do you think the religious community will, or should, respond to this? What message will be given to the faithful? I think we can imagine how the extremists will react, but what about the more mainstream religious denominations?
I think there will be outrage by some churches, but then there will always be some that disagree's with the progress of science, thats not to say science should come to a halt - personally it fascinates me (not that I understand most of it)

For those of you who believe God is the creator of life, would this accomplishment weaken your faith or strengthen it, and why?
It doesn't alter my faith in anyway, we are created in God's image so why shouldn't we also be able to create life, God is very much still part of the picture.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Ribonucleotides are simply an expression of the fundamental principles of organic chemistry,” said Sutherland. “They’re doing it unwittingly. The instructions for them to do it are inherent in the structure of the precursor materials. And if they can self-assemble so easily, perhaps they shouldn’t be viewed as complicated.
I sometimes wonder if the difference between "just is" stories and "just so" stories amounts to little more than a preference in narrative.

"One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." [Einstein]

TechTed

It doesn't alter my faith in anyway, we are created in God's image so why shouldn't we also be able to create life, God is very much still part of the picture.

I suspect your response would have gotten you burned at the stake a few hundred years ago. What has changed between then and now with respect to the Bible?

It is interesting to see how people reconcile and then alter their religious beliefs in the face of scientific progress over time.

I imagine that many religious communities would view this discovery as an answer to "how" God created the world, allowing them to continue relying on their various doctrines to explain the "why" part.

knockknock

It is interesting to see how people reconcile and then alter their religious beliefs in the face of scientific progress over time.

Doesn't the scientific community do just the same thing? Religion is about life not about being stuck in a time warp.

I imagine that many religious communities would view this discovery as an answer to "how" God created the world, allowing them to continue relying on their various doctrines to explain the "why" part.

It makes sense, why wouldn't they.

TechTed

Doesn't the scientific community do just the same thing? Religion is about life not about being stuck in a time warp.

It makes sense, why wouldn't they.

Yes, the scientific community alters its viewpoint when new discoveries lead to a better understanding of the facts. Religion isn't based on "facts" but on "faith". So that is the difference I believe.

And to your second point, it does make sense to me which is why it's interesting when you consider that some of these "hows" scientists are / will accomplish were thought to have only been possible by God at one point in our history.

And to Jayhawker - I'm looking to debate and discuss.

Enlighten

I suspect your response would have gotten you burned at the stake a few hundred years ago. What has changed between then and now with respect to the Bible?

I personally didn't live a few hundred years ago, so thats a blessing eh?!

Where have I altered my religious beliefs in the face of scientific progress? As you have made an assumption of me and my beliefs I assume I can do the same, so you are one of those who think because I am a Christian then I will automatically have the exact same thoughts as the next Christian??

You imagine :yes: but we don't actually know exactly how they will react until they actually react, so for now we can only assume.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It is quite possible that in our lifetime scientists will be able to create synthetic life from inert chemicals.

I think one should assume that's just a matter of time. That might have implications for various creation myths, but I'm not sure it has many implications for certain forms of spirituality -- such as one might find in Buddhism or Taoism.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

God said, "Show me."

Hm...interesting perspective. When we speak of a Creation of life are we discussing the mechanism or the creation of the mechanism.

I think the argument between evolutionists and creationists is rather silly. One is stating the creation of a process, while the other is discovering the mechanisms behind it. Maybe creations and evolutionists should get a restraining order on their ideas. (Just kidding, the debates are too fun and informative! :D)

TechTed

I personally didn't live a few hundred years ago, so thats a blessing eh?!

Yes, it is!

Where have I altered my religious beliefs in the face of scientific progress? As you have made an assumption of me and my beliefs I assume I can do the same, so you are one of those who think because I am a Christian then I will automatically have the exact same thoughts as the next Christian??

I wasn't speaking to you specifically but using "people" as a general term. You can't argue with the fact that "back in the day" it was considered heretical for Christians to think that man could perform the same feats as God. Or am I wrong here? Yet they are following the same Biblical instructions that are still in place today, and Christians in general don't burn people at the stake anymore (just ruin their political careers I guess). Progress made through science must be causing people in general to reinterpret the Bible on some level. Is there a tipping point somewhere when the "hows" that the Bible explains are discredited to the point that even the "whys" are considered fallacies?

You imagine :yes: but we don't actually know exactly how they will react until they actually react, so for now we can only assume.

That is the point of these forums to make assumptions and discuss? It's fun, right?