• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sect versus cult

Would you distinguish between a sect and a cult? If so, what distinction would you make between them?

I regard the two as separate ideas which overlap most of the time. However, I get the impression that for a lot of people they are synonyms.

Audie

Veteran Member
Would you distinguish between a sect and a cult? If so, what distinction would you make between them?

I regard the two as separate ideas which overlap most of the time. However, I get the impression that for a lot of people they are synonyms.
There's no bright line distinction.
And from atheist pov all religions are cults.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Depends on the context of the discussion.

Generally, a "sect" is a subdivision or offshoot of a larger human social organization with particular ideologies and/or practices that deviate from those of the parent organization. It is, more or less, how new social organizations are born whether we're talking political movements, schools of philosophy, religious traditions, or whatever.

Generally, a "cult" is a pejorative term applied to human social organizations that are either out of favor with mainstream cultural perceptions or characterized by a charismatic leader that exerts social control over the personal lives of its members in ways that are harmful and isolating to its members. It doesn't have to be a subdivision or offshoot of anything, so a "cult" need not be a "sect."

In academic circles there are much different and more technical meanings that I'm only somewhat familiar with. In the context of classical studies for example (or amongst some contemporary Pagans which is why I know about this usage) "cult" actually refers to the circle of worship that surrounds a particular god or goddess. It is understood more as "cultivation" or duty in service to a deity which is radically different from the usage the term typically has now.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The word "cult" can have different meanings. But this is a helpful differentiation:

RECOGNIZE THE CHARACTERISTICS OF CULTS
  1. Isolating members and penalizing them for leaving
  2. Seeking inappropriate loyalty to their leaders
  3. Dishonoring the family unit
  4. Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability.
  5. No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.
  6. No meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget, expenses such as an independently audited financial statement.
  7. Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies, and persecutions.
  8. There is no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong in leaving, negative or even evil.
  9. Followers feel they can never be "good enough".
  10. The group/leader is always right.
  11. The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing "truth" or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is really acceptable or credible.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member

If I disapprove of it then I would call it a cult

If not then I would call it a sect, or a New Religious Movement (NRM)

But there are criteria for identifying a group as a cult that are much less subjective

Here is how I would make a difference between the two:

A sect claims to be the one true version of a faith, despite the faith being much broader. This distinguishes it from a denomination.

A cult claims that what it teaches cannot be understood without hidden revelation. A cult would not attempt to explain part of what it teaches merely by laying out what it believes to be a rational argument.

Obviously, a huge number of sects also come into the cult category. At the same time, nothing stops a cult from claiming that other forms of occult revelation exist elsewhere, which would mean that the cult in question is not a sect.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

In both cases, each word has more than one meaning, so I'm not sure i can really answer. However, I'll give it my best.

The most common use of the word cult refers to small, new religions outside of the mainstream that others consider to be sinister. For example, in the US where Christian culture is dominant, groups like the Hare Krishnas are looked upon as a cult.

A sect is not its own religion. It is a subgroup within a religion. It is almost the same thing as a denomination, but doesn't share the same legitimacy as a denomination. A sect is usually smaller and less organized than a denomination. It is usually seen as more marginal and contentious. Despite these subtle differences, you'll find that many people tend to use sect and denomination interchangeably. Although Branch Davidians are commonly called a cult, technically speaking they are actually a sect, a radical subgroup of Seventh Day Adventists.

Interestingly, the word cult has by far the greater stigma, but the worst religious mass suicides have actually been done by sects, such as the infamous Jonestown.

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

In both cases, each word has more than one meaning, so I'm not sure i can really answer. However, I'll give it my best.

The most common use of the word cult refers to small, new religions outside of the mainstream that others consider to be sinister. For example, in the US where Christian culture is dominant, groups like the Hare Krishnas are looked upon as a cult.

A sect is not its own religion. It is a subgroup within a religion. It is almost the same thing as a denomination, but doesn't share the same legitimacy as a denomination. A sect is usually smaller and less organized than a denomination. It is usually seen as more marginal and contentious. Despite these subtle differences, you'll find that many people tend to use sect and denomination interchangeably. Although Branch Davidians are commonly called a cult, technically speaking they are actually a sect, a radical subgroup of Seventh Day Adventists.

Interestingly, the word cult has by far the greater stigma, but the worst religious mass suicides have actually been done by sects, such as the infamous Jonestown incident.

A well known alternative meaning of the word cult is that of a toxic religion, a group that insteading building you up tears you down. They are almost always run by a charismatic leader who exerts total control over his followers. Fear is used to keep people in line. Questions are not tolerated. People are isolated from their families and friends. Certain abuses are common, such as sexual and financial abuse. In extreme cases, families are broken up, separating spouses or children from their parents. It is in this sense that Jonestown and Branch Davidians, although they are sects, can also be called cults.

This sort of cult can be a religion, a sect, or even a single church. The destruction usually happens gradually, with trusting people slowly getting sucked into it. For example, a nice Pentecostal church can hire a new pastor who is such a gifted orator that they see him as filled with the holy spirit, not realizing that this sort of charisma is also associated with psychopathy. Without the congregation even being aware of what is happening, the new pastor slowly increases his control and intimidation. What was once a lovely, healthy church becomes a place of fear and abuse.

Last edited:
With the Pentecostals, and the entire Charismatic movement, I would use the word 'occult', in its adjectival form, to describe them. Whether this makes a specific Pentecostal congregation a cult is another matter.

IndigoChild5559

With the Pentecostals, and the entire Charismatic movement, I would use the word 'occult', in its adjectival form, to describe them.
Can you explain why?

The word occult comes from the latin word ocultus, which means hidden or secret. It came to refer to those religious practices which were done in secret, or which had hidden knowledge. This group includes: alchemy, astrology, divination, magic, mysticism, spiritism, scrying, witchcraft, and satanism.

Can you explain why you put pentecostalism into that group?

Pentecostals claim to receive occult knowledge.

This is sometimes in the form of 'words of knowledge' or 'feeling led'. It also explains their anti-intellectual approach to scholarship applied to the Bible.

IndigoChild5559

No Pentecostal would be caught dead saying they receive occult knowledge. I think here it is you that is applying the word occult, not them.

This is sometimes in the form of 'words of knowledge' or 'feeling led'.
I can see why you would think this is similar, so thank you for replying with a direct answer. I, however, would not say that these things are hidden knowledge. If they "are led" or get a "word of knowledge" they openly share it. Anyone in the church, including non-believers, is welcome to hear it. Is the way they get this "knowledge" strange? It is to me. That alone doesn't make it occult.

I don't think we are really that far apart. I'm barely on one side of the line, and you are barely on the other. We may simply agree to disagree here.
It also explains their anti-intellectual approach to scholarship applied to the Bible.
Occult has absolutely nothing to do with anti-intellectualism or a literalist approach to the Bible. Thinking Moses wrote the Torah is not occult. I've known people who did Tarot, an occult practice, who were neither anti-intellectual nor literal.

Anyhow, I do appreciate your direct answer. Your clarity is refreshing.

It makes no difference what they do with the 'knowledge' once they claim to receive it. The point is that they themselves claim it is from a hidden, i.e. occult, source. I am well aware that Pentecostals don't like being called an occult group. However, there is such a thing as calling a spade a spade.

The hostility to the intellect among Pentecostals is precisely because they believe that there is something missing from an approach to the Bible which does not have the component they believe is 'revealed' to them. The very fact that they believe they need this 'revelation' is a form of occultism.

It makes no difference how passionately you believe God exists.

To anyone who either does not or who does not believe the voice in your head is God, it is mere occultism.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
In the very traditional sense, I belong to both a cult and a sect. In Diabolica could be seen as a Left Hand Path sect and also as a NRM/neopagan cult.

In the more recent sense, we're definitely not a cult.

The distinction is that a cult doesn't necessarily have to be attached or affiliated with any current established religious movement. A group could be both. The Branch Davidians were a break away sect inside a religious organization that was already considered a cult.