• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sexuality: Sinful or Sacred?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I spent a great deal of my personal search for truth as a neopagan. One of the things which drew me to that path, something I still adore and believe, was the teaching that sexuality is inherently sacred, one the greatest gifts given us by the God and Goddess.

Yet, to so many deeply spiritual people, sexuality is a temptation to be resisted, a vice if not an outright sin.

Why is this?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Either, both.

I never understood how something could be a sin before a ritual, and sacred after. That idea always struck me as an excuse for the "sin."

nutshell

It's sacred.

The sin is not in the act, but in the circumstances the act is committed. Is it how God intended or not?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Although I don't think sex is inherently sacred, I believe it can be sacred. As I was telling my Acme Latex Love Doll the other day, It's all in whether you approach sex as a sort of communion with another person, or selfishly. She seemed to agree with me because she raised not even a peep of an objection to my thesis.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I think the labeling of sexuality as a sin comes from the attempt to control the inner "beast." Sexual desire is basic, and hard to control sometimes. Some may find it hard to concentrate on the spiritual while drawn back into sex (with the assumption that sex isn't spiritual itself).

On the individual level, sex is sacred or sinful depending on the associations made with it. A sexually abused person may see it as sinful. Someone who delights in sex would see otherwise.

athanasius

Sacred, at least according to the Catholic position. That's why we believe Marriage was elevated to a sacramental level by Christ. A great book on this by Pope John Paul II is called " The Theology of the Body". At leas that where we stand.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I spent a great deal of my personal search for truth as a neopagan. One of the things which drew me to that path, something I still adore and believe, was the teaching that sexuality is inherently sacred, one the greatest gifts given us by the God and Goddess.

Yet, to so many deeply spiritual people, sexuality is a temptation to be resisted, a vice if not an outright sin.

Why is this?
I don't know that I can properly answer your question because I don't view sex as either sacred or sinful. I simply view it as a human pleasure to be respected.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I say it's neither sacred or sinful. It's there to fulfill a biological need. Some may find personal meaning behind it though, but others may not.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass

Sacred, at least according to the Catholic position. That's why we believe Marriage was elevated to a sacramental level by Christ.
And yet, does the Catholic position not hold premarital sex to be a great sin? Why does marriage make the difference? Does it change the fundamental nature of the act? If so, how? If not, then why does it matter?

A great book on this by Pope John Paul II is called " The Theology of the Body".
I'll add it to my list. Thank you. :)

Booko

Deviled Hen

That's pretty much how I view it.

I don't see sexuality is a sin, but it is a very powerful force and has the possibility of doing much harm if mishandled.

Sort of like fire. Fire is a good thing, but not if handled unsafely. Then it becomes destructive.

I don't know exactly why there is some strain in religion that seeks to control others, but history shows it turns up in strength now and again. As sex is arguably the strongest drive, on wonder it gets such special treatment from control freaks. But CF religious leaders do not limit their scope to sex -- they want to dictate many other things as well.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
OK. So how do you respect a pleasure?
Because sex involves another person, respect for that person and their needs is required. Ideally, early (and later) in the relationship expectations are discussed so that both are content afterward.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
That it take place in marriage because it's sacred.
Why does marriage matter? Why marriage and not love, or the respect Buttercup points to?

Is premarital sex not just as sacred? What about homosexual sex?

nutshell

Why does marriage matter? Why marriage and not love, or the respect Buttercup points to?

Is premarital sex not just as sacred? What about homosexual sex?

Marriage matters because God said so (at least I believe He did).

Sex is for pleasure, but it is also the power of creation. There are rules to govern this great power just like their are rules for handling nuclear power. The use of both have great benefits, but an accident can lead to disasterous results. :D

Mike182

Flaming Queer
sexual desire is needed in society, but it can also be overpowering - and there in lies the danger of sex and sexuality.

Pariah

Let go
[FONT=&quot]The sexual embrace can only be compared with music and with prayer.
- Marcus Aurelius
[/FONT]