• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Abortion Be Made Illegal Based On The State You Live In?

Should Abortion Be Made Illegal Based On The State You Live In?

• Yes, it should come under State's Rights not Roe v. Wade

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • No

Votes: 24 77.4%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shmogie

- It's inside her.
- She supplies nutrients & removes waste by her circulatory system.
this sounds a lot like other organs, eh.

Au contraire, they share much genetic info.
DNA testing can show this mother-fetus relationship.

And yet....it's part of her body, different blood type notwithstanding.

This is important because it shows relative value of life for even anti-abortion types.

That is a matter of definition.
Moreover, "human" is different from being a "person".

If "human" & "person" were the same, we wouldn't have 2 words.

Word games.....
I'm not the one using "killing" so broadly, or conflating "fetus" with "baby" & "person".
Nor am I the one treating a personal definition as "scientific", or citing scripture.
None here are more objective than I.
You used the term human, so did I. Substitute person for human, that is fine with me.

Yes, some DNA is shared, and yes DNA can establish relationships, yet the baby has a different DNA profile from the mother.

Would you consider a tapeworm as part of it's hosts body?

I have not cited one scripture in this discussion. My personal definitions are just that, However, I am able to cite a large number of scientists and physicians who believe as I do, and the number is growing.

70% of the American people want some form of restriction on abortion after the first trimester.

Is there a great word god that prohibits me from calling a baby, a baby?

In many states if you kill a pregnant woman, you are guilty of TWO murders. How can you be guilty of murder if you killed a non person?

The explanation for the stupidity is in the Roe decision. The court declared that for the purpose of abortion ( not other purposes) the unborn baby was to be considered not a person.

BUT ! The court also stated that with advancements in science specifically related to the unborn, a person's personhood may have to be revisited and possibly changed.

That is one reason, among many, why Roe is a severely flawed, and inconsistent ruling.

An unborn baby can be a person who is murdered, but not a person when killed by it's mother and her doctor.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Would you consider a tapeworm as part of it's hosts body?
No.
It can get murky deciding what is & what isn't part of a person's body.
Consider that most of the cells in our body are bacteria, viruses & fungi.
Some are useful, some are benign, & others are disease.
The tapeworm is more of an enemy.
Btw, do you know how to rid them using lemon cookies & a boiled egg?
I have not cited one scripture in this discussion.
I spoke generally, & didn't attribute that to you.
My personal definitions are just that, However, I am able to cite a large number of scientists and physicians who believe as I do, and the number is growing.
If scientists make a cogent argument it's worth considering.
But many wade into personal values & religion.
In matters of ethics & religion, a scientist has no more
authority than you or I.
70% of the American people want some form of restriction on abortion after the first trimester.
That speaks to the resulting political compromise.
I don't say what is absolutely right or wrong...just
to what is constitutional & most useful.
Is there a great word god that prohibits me from calling a baby, a baby?
Not that I know of.
But language shouldn't be altered so that an
argument is based upon ad hoc definitions.
In many states if you kill a pregnant woman, you are guilty of TWO murders. How can you be guilty of murder if you killed a non person?
Laws don't determine the morality of issues.
Instead, they should be the result of striving for morality.
We should note that the Bible doesn't treat the fetus as a person.
(I got this from an anti-abortion Bible-tote'n fundie friend.)
The explanation for the stupidity is in the Roe decision. The court declared that for the purpose of abortion ( not other purposes) the unborn baby was to be considered not a person.
I'm not a fan of the rationale behind Roe v Wade.
But it is reasonable to say that the fetus differs significantly from a person.
BUT ! The court also stated that with advancements in science specifically related to the unborn, a person's personhood may have to be revisited and possibly changed.
The whole issue will be continually re-visited so long as passions run high.
That is one reason, among many, why Roe is a severely flawed, and inconsistent ruling.
Earlier I presented a better argument for abortion rights.
An unborn baby can be a person who is murdered, but not a person when killed by it's mother and her doctor.
Tell me.....
If a woman conceives due to rape, should she be allowed an abortion?
If incest?
If her health is at risk?

shmogie

Agreed.

And recriminalizing abortion will only make that even more so the case, as women of means will always be able to get an abortion, but the poor who have no access to local, legal abortion will simply be spouting out not just babies born into poverty, but unwanted baby's born into poverty. How much better if that person could terminate the unwanted pregnancy, stay in school, and have a baby in five or ten years when she was better able to provide for herself and the baby.

Why? I never made that claim. You said, "One of the arguments against it is the right of the unborn fetus and when life begins," and I replied, "Irrelevant. Life doesn't enter into the moral calculus. We kill whenever we fell a cornstalk or step on an ant. The moral argument does not depend on semantics or definitions. It doesn't matter what you call a fetus - person, life, human being, citizen - the moral status of ending that life don't change for me."

I repeat: Words don't enter into the moral argument for me - just the guidance of my conscience. Calling a fetus life doesn't make terminating the pregnancy immoral to me just as calling a cornstalk life is irrelevant to the matter of whether it is immoral to kill it.

Furthermore, adding the qualifier human is also irrelevant, since I have no moral value that says it is immoral to kill a human being. Kill one in self-defense if you must. You'll have my approval.

Nor does calling a fetus a baby change anything.

Legal arguments also don't enter into the moral calculus. Calling abortion murder is irrelevant to the moral issue. Making it murder by recriminalizing it also doesn't enter into the moral argument. Nor do any rights or Constitutional amendments.

It's really only about what my conscience tells me, which is that there is no moral barrier to early term abortion, but that using the state to enforce the will of the church against the will of the pregnant woman is immoral whether done legally as it was before 1973, or not. And removing the availability of safe, legal abortion is immoral, since we know that it will lead to unsafe abortions.

I watched the Netflix documentary on Gloria Allred, a prominent American feminist activist and attorney, and learned that she had been raped at gunpoint at age 25 while vacationing in the Caribbean, before abortion was legal. She was asked if that was the worst thing that had ever happened to her. She answered no, it was the back alley abortion she needed because of the rape. She began hemorrhaging and developed a fever of 106 degrees due to infection, almost dying in the process, and nearly died.

The church would have this back. If your religion or conscience forbids you to get an abortion, don't get one. That's your freedom. But if you would impose those views on others, then you are attempting to use the state to make many women unwilling incubators on behalf of a church.

Those are my values, and they don't change with with semantic arguments.

Conscious and capable of suffering. If I thought the fetus was both of those, I would consider aborting it immoral. Once again, I have no argument for this. It's how I feel. It's what my conscience tells me, and that is what I go by.

How do I know early term fetuses don't suffer? For the same reason that when you crack open an egg and discover that it was fertilized, the chick fetus doesn't start screaming. It doesn't have the necessary nervous system.

Not to me. I don't get my moral values from any external source.

I also don't find biblical advice to be particularly moral apart from the Golden Rule, which is a value of mine, but also didn't come from a book. It's the natural result of the ability to feel empathy, another message from the conscience.

Requiring a father to help support his child hild support is moral and sensible. I'm a humanist, and we believe in facilitating individual development and personal excellence. A baby needs a certain amount of economic support to be warm, safe and healthy.

I've already explained that saying that life begins at conception means nothing to me. I don't care when life begins. When does the capacity to suffer begin?

Irrelevant to a discussion of whether abortion should be legal and available. What might have happened doesn't matter. What did happen does.

My point exactly. You calling it murder is just semantics, and it doesn't change the fact that I prefer to keep abortion safe, legal, and available.

Wrong to you, not me. I recommend that if you find abortion wrong, don't have one. Follow your conscience and allow other to follow theirs.

Or try to impose yours on others if you think that's appropriate. I don't. I consider doing that immoral.
Your conscience, nor mine has any true relevancy to anyone else.

If we lived in a world where each person was allowed to follow their conscience, with no law, the world would be in a state of terminal chaos.

So, we are governed by law, not our conscience.

Laws can be wrong, being a law doesn't in itself, make it right.

In b the pre civil war South blacks were subject to and controlled by a set of laws that were rotten to their very core. Black folk were considered sub human, much as unborn babies are today by some.

It was a bad set of immoral laws.

Roe v Wade is bad, immoral law. It is legally flawed in a number of area's.

You think it is immoral of me to try to have this law changed, and to try and change minds on the matter.

I would assume then that you find those before the civil war who agitated for huge changes in the law for the enslaved blacks as immoral too.

I see no difference in a man in slavery who has no control over any aspect of his life and is dependent totally on others for what sustains his life, and an unborn baby after the first trimester.

Both can be arbitrarily snuffed out, neither has any protection of the law, both are totally dependent on others for survival, both are considered non persons. Both are denied what the Declaration of Independence demands,m LIFE, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness,

So, I and millions of others will continue advocating for the unborn, you may consider us immoral in doing so, but that really has no bearing on the matter.

epronovost

How about after the first trimester, or the second, or in the third ? Babies are killed at all stages of pregnancy, thus my question is perfectly applicable.

96% of all abortions are made before the 16th week of pregancy (that's the first trimester btw) so that pretty much answer the question. Before that point the fetal brain is too underdevelopped to process pain thus they don't feel it; pain is a neurological process that requires certain structures. It's of course far too underdevelopped to process emotions or anything like that. The fetal brain isn't connected to the spine which means that only spinal reflexes can be produced. So it can feel pressure and heat, but doesn't have sensations. More conservative estimate that a fetus cannot feel pain in a human sense of the term before the 27th week of gestation though more liberal interpretation place it at the 16th weeks.

The few abortions that do happen after the 16th week are often done for medical reason or in case of severe birth defects which can't always be detected before then. I think it's reasonnable to have abortion passed the 16th week for medical reaons, in cases of rape and incest and in cases of severe birth defects. If you wanted to place a hard limit to abortion at the 16th week except for those exception I would be in agreement with you provided that women have access to safe abortion services in a timely manner.

Abortion - Wikipedia

There no abortion performed passed the 24th week of pregancy since they are too dangerous and the fetus is already viable so if there is a problem it's possible to simply trigger early childbirth and put an end to it (that's how my daughter was born btw following a very hard pregnancy). There might be exception where the fetus died and isn't positionned properly to be expelled by triggering childbirth and it needs to be basically cut up in pieces and extracted but this is extremely rare and a life threatening condition since a dead fetus will rot inside a woman's womb and can cause septicemia and necrosis.

Does that answer your question and reassure you a bit on the nature of abortions? A lot of people have a rather flase and dramatised image of abortions.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Google "lifecycle of a primate".

The science is very clear and cogent.
Tom
It's not a very convincing argument to say "google for me".
If you want to claim a particular point in gestation when
life &/or personhood begin, you're free to present it.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
It's not a very convincing argument to say "google for me".
If you want to claim a particular point in gestation when
life &/or personhood begin, you're free to present it.
Person is a word rather like murder. Too subjective to be consistently useful.

So I stick to more concrete concepts like human being and killing.
Tom

shmogie

No.
It can get murky deciding what is & what isn't part of a person's body.
Consider that most of the cells in our body are bacteria, viruses & fungi.
Some are useful, some are benign, & others are disease.
The tapeworm is more of an enemy.
Btw, do you know how to rid them using lemon cookies & a boiled egg?

I spoke generally, & didn't attribute that to you.

If scientists make a cogent argument it's worth considering.
But many wade into personal values & religion.
In matters of ethics & religion, a scientist has no more
authority than you or I.

That speaks to the resulting political compromise.
I don't say what is absolutely right or wrong...just
to what is constitutional & most useful.

Not that I know of.
But language shouldn't be altered so that an
argument is based upon ad hoc definitions.

Laws don't determine the morality of issues.
Instead, they should be the result of striving for morality.
We should note that the Bible doesn't treat the fetus as a person.
(I got this from an anti-abortion Bible-tote'n fundie friend.)

I'm not a fan of the rationale behind Roe v Wade.
But it is reasonable to say that the fetus differs significantly from a person.

The whole issue will be continually re-visited so long as passions run high.

Earlier I presented a better argument for abortion rights.

Tell me.....
If a woman conceives due to rape, should she be allowed an abortion?
If incest?
If her health is at risk?
The case cannot be made that a clump of non specialized cells is a person.

Thus, unlimited abortion in the first trimester is legally tenable.

IF a serious PHYSICAL threat to the mother develops, where she would be in danger of a debilitating or fatal condition if she carried her baby to full term, then an abortion should be available.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Maybe ultraliberal Revoltistan(I've heard stories about Ann Arbor) you confidently assume what someone means by the various words.
Here in conservative Christian Trumpistan people commonly change the meaning such words in mid-sentence.

Yeah, I am.
And you know it.
Tom
I wouldn't say you're right...just not even wrong.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The case cannot be made that a clump of non specialized cells is a person.
I don't have any problem making the case all human beings start out as tiny, utterly dependent, beings. And they are always clumps of cells.

You knee jerk baby killer you.
Tom

epronovost

I don't have any problem making the case all human beings start out as tiny, utterly dependent, beings. And they are always clumps of cells.

You knee jerk baby killer you.
Tom

Thought experiment time!!!

If you give me one of your kidney and it's succesfully transplanted into me and then I procede to stab the rest of you to death. Can I call you still alive because a clump of living cells with your DNA is into me? Am I guilty of murder or simply of assault?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The problem with this endless debate is what the consequences of murder which happens to be a fetus should be.

If you believe that abortion is murder, then murder should be punished. If I go to a hit man and pay for him to murder someone, how am I punished in law. If I go to, say, a medical hit man, and pay for him to murder a person in my body, how should I be punished in law.

If your answer is different in those two different cases, then you make the pro-legal abortion argument stronger by failure to consider the consequences of your judgement.

Altfish

Veteran Member
To demand giving birth unwillingly is the fundamental problem.
Paying for the baby's & mother's care doesn't make that legit.
Don't buy into the bogus liberal argument that abortion is OK
because conservatives oppose social welfare programs.
I think we'll have to agree to disagree

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The problem with this endless debate is what the consequences of murder which happens to be a fetus should be.
That's not the problem I see.
What I see as the problem is people prioritizing the entitlement to sex over human life.
Other people prioritize their entitlement to vengeance over human life. Capital punishment.
Other people prioritize their entitlement to corporate profits over human life. Invade Iraq.
People prioritize their entitlement to money over human life. Immigrant abuse.

Really, the list is kinda endless.
Tom