• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should the government create a law that requires Congress to balance the budget?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I'm for much better fiscal responsibility and a drive to balanced budgeting.
But I think making it a law robs the nation of needed flexibility.

I get that politicians have proven somewhat irresponsible in dealing with that responsibility, but I think there is more that can be done around independent oversight and transparency of reporting that wouldn't have the negative unintended consequences I'm foreseeing.

We squeaked out a budget surplus this year, after 15 years in the red.

Yes, when I was in Australia, some 35 years ago, I was impressed with the governments ability to balance its budget while still providing really good services to it's people. I always thought the US could learn from them. Taxes were higher but the benefits of those taxes were visible.

So I'm not necessarily against higher taxes, just the US government's apparent inability to be responsible with them.

EconGuy

However the US government itself without the Fed, which is a private entity, cannot create money.

I've already address the claim that the Fed is a private entity in this thread

Though, when I copied and pasted that from another place I had written it, I did not copy the source (the Federal Reserve):

Though I embellished a few more facts.

Though you seem to recognize this here:
Ok, I suppose you are confusing the Federal Reserve with the government, which is not entirely untrue

This is sort of like me, trying to discipline myself and what I eat by giving my wife the power to feed me whatever she wants as long as she follows a few rules. I tell her that my goal is to loose weight, but also eat nutritiously and not go hungry for long periods.

Now, who's really in control, me or my wife?

The answer is, I can take back control any time I want, by a wave of my hand and do what I want if I think my wife isn't doing what I asked, just as Congress can take back all power from the Fed if it wished to.

The Fed is independent within the government, not independent of the government. The Federal Reserve is a government agency, though the regional banks are private wholesale banks (just read the post above).

As a nation we do this because we know if we left it entirely up to politicians to decide things like interest rates, rates would be set based on trying to win favor of voters. Not very disciplined.

So let's see if we can come to some agreement, before we continue.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Not a terrible idea to makes the voters directly responsible for government spending. However the idea is to give the government flexibility in bad times. Like the spending to develop the corona virus vaccine and cover some of the cost of distribution couldn't have happened under a balanced budget law.

However it shouldn't be the SOP of the government. Borrow money in the bad times. Pay it back in the good times. Not a continued increase in spending to make the voter happy and secure your reelection. So IDK, yes it will make the voters more accountable but it would also limit the government's ability to respond to national disasters,
Natural disasters can be addressed by establishing a fund.

EconGuy

First, I wanted to thank you for continuing our discussion and asking challenging questions.

Ok, so hopefully we've come to some agreement on the Feds role. The Fed has been given autonomy within the government and it's statutory requirement is to buy or sell bonds to meet whatever statutory obligations it has as well as exercising it's own independence in managing monetary policy to achieve the goals given to it as part of it's charter. In fact the Fed and Treasury work together, quite closely.

The inescapable fact that you've been unwilling to concede so far, is that the government spends before the Fed sells bonds. In other words, there can never be a shortage of money to purchase bonds, because the government injects that money into the economy prior to any bonds being sold. Fiat economies could never exist if this weren't true. The Fed couldn't sell bonds if this weren't true.

That's not the way it works according to every source I look at including directly from the US Treasury web site. If the Fed wants to inject money into the economy it does so by buying US treasuries.

I think you're making this harder than it has to be. I'm trying to pull back the curtain here a bit and show how things work under the sheets.

My only argument here is that taxes and treasury sales do not make it possible for the government to spend. The fact is, the government could spend without taxes or Treasury sales. Now, please, please don't misunderstand what I just said. I'm simply trying to establish the fact that taxes and treasuries are not for the reasons we are told. They are still necessary (though one could argue that you only need taxation, but that's for a latter time). The point is simply that taxes and bonds do not fund spending, they are required only for statutory reasons. They are a self imposition.

Look, I admit that my view aren't orthodox, but strictly speaking I'm right. Much of what the nation have come to believe exists, is because it is the way things were understood in prior money regimes. We stuck to a gold redemption/ gold backed theory of how to learn our system of money even after we changed the system. The fear was and still is that if Congress and the people learn that there's no real (real being a fiscal term here, not an offhanded one) constraint on money creation, specifically that taxes and borrowing aren't the real constraint to money creation, that Congress and the people will go crazy with spending and drive the economy into a state of hyperinflation ignoring the fact that there are real limitations that people should be aware of.

Understanding the real constraints on the economy is the only thing that will prevent:

1693751926240.png

That yellow area is the difference between the nations capacity to produce before resulting in demand driven inflation pressure and what it is actually producing. Inflation happens when the bottom line in that graph meets or exceeds the top line.

Now what could have been done with all that lost productivity? How much infrastructure could have been fixed? How many schools, or playgrounds built? Hospitals, nursing homes, whatever? All productivity you can never get back because you've been told that debt someday (though no one ever says when, but it's always right around the corner) will all have to be repaid with taxes, despite the fact that your taxes don't pay a single dollar towards the debt, not $1.

However, I've pointed out that the government does in fact repay the debt, many times over every single year, mostly by rolling over existing debt and then selling new debt equal to whatever the defect is for that year. Not a system that will last forever for sure as things change, but that doesn't mean that future change will be the apocalypse.

I think that leads us to one of your responses, that I should address here.
People have to be willing to purchase the debt. If people stop being willing then the US government will have no choice but to default.

First, the US government CAN NEVER EVER be forced to default in its own currency. That is an abhorrent myth.

Don't believe me? Here are quotes from former Federal Reserve Chainman.

Alan Greenspan: “A government cannot become insolvent with respect to obligations in its own currency.”
Alan Greenspan: “There is nothing to prevent the federal government from creating as much money as it wants and paying it to somebody.”
Alan Greenspan: “The United States can pay any debt it has because we can always [create] the money to do that.”
Ben Bernanke: “The U.S. government has a technology, called a printing press (or, today, its electronic equivalent), that allows it to produce as many U.S. dollars as it wishes at essentially no cost.”
Quote from former Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke when he was on 60 Minutes:
Scott Pelley: Is that tax money that the Fed is spending?
Ben Bernanke: It’s not tax money… We simply use the computer to mark up the size of the account.

Note how the former chairman of the Fed refer to the "Federal government" not the "Federal Reserve" when talking about creating money?

So respectfully, no, the US government can never be insolvent in its own currency. Every single member of the European Economic Union can, any nation that borrows money in another nations currency can, but the US government cannot default. I know that politicians tell us that we can, but that's because they, quite literally, don't understand economics much better than the average business owner.

But let's go back to what you said about people being willing to buy US debt. The key word here is "if". First, most of the "debt" purchased inside the US is purchased by the government itself.

But let's focus on the foreign sector.

Why do you think China, of all places is the whole world, that is increasingly being seen at the US' primary rival would "fund" our debt?

You said it in an answer to another question I asked when I said, where does China get the money it purchases US debt and you said:

Quite right. So, the US doesn't "borrow" China's yuan, China reinvests the dollars is acquires though trade, as opposed to trading them for yuan on FOREX (foreign exchange). As a matter of fact, China creates it's own money, ex-nihillo to purchase US dollars from the FOREX market!

Now I wonder why it does that? As I'm sure you are aware, China buys US dollars to keep the value of it's own dollar low in comparison.

But why? Again, I'm sure you know that keeping the value if it's dollar low keeps prices on its good low here in the US. How nice!

So what if China stopped buying US debt?

Would the government be unable to spend?

No!

Under the current law, as you've pointed out, it would be problematic for sure. If the government maintained current levels of spending and China stopped buying US debt, then deficits and debt would increase substantially.

Which leads us to another of your concerns.
The issue is that the workers are not creating enough value through their labor to cover government spending so they are obligating future generations to pay for a debt they didn't create.

There's a lot to unpack here. How exactly would you define "value" in this statement.

I mean, if I need a welder, that has a very specific set of skills, I mean one that only a tiny fraction of all welders have, is his value measured in dollars or in the skill he possesses?

The other thing I really don't understand that you keep repeating is the claim that future generations will have to repay debt.

I might be showing my age here just a bit, but the debt was $370 billion dollars when I was born, it is $32 trillion dollars today. Yet taxes are lower, not higher. Is it your belief that at some point debt will reach some tipping point, like the climate where it must be repaid?

As I've stated and you didn't disagree, the purpose of taxes is:
1. As an instrument of fiscal policy to help stabilize the purchasing power of the dollar;
2. To express public policy in the distribution of wealth and of income, as in the case of the progressive income and estate taxes;
3. To express public policy in subsidizing or in penalizing various industries and economic groups;
4. To isolate and assess directly the costs of certain national benefits, such as highways and social security.

There's nothing in there about financing spending. or repaying debt, That's not the purpose of taxes. As a matter of fact, today, zero dollars collected in taxes are used to pay debt.

The problem is that people like yourself tend to look at the debt or said another way, the national surplus all by itself.

You also haven't acknowledged that the roughly $31.7 trillion dollars of debt (national surplus) as also bought a lot of stuff that my kids benefit from. Trillions of dollars in high tech infrastructure, trillions of dollars in educating the population that has lead to one of the highest standards of living in the world and for better or worse, depending where you sit, the worlds most powerful miliary just to name a few.

And none of the three things I mentioned, would have been possible unless the government created debt asset pairs totally trillions of dollars.

Respectfully, you are so close, but you're unnecessarily buying into the myth that debt is a "ticking time bomb" that will explode.

If the economy crashes it will be a lack of productivity that causes the problem, just like almost any other hyperinflation that's occurred in the last 100 years. Weimar, Zimbabwe, Argentina, Hungry (Venezuela being the exception, that was a crash in energy prices, corruption and poor planning).... If you want to exacerbate that problem, call for reductions in government debt......

Why? Because the government's debt adds net fiscal assets to the economy and allows it to grow. No debt creating, no growth. And no, the Fed cannot induce growth, it can only increase reserves. Reserves do not circulate in the economy.

How do we know this?

I think it's pretty evident by something like this chart:

1693760484606.png

When we look at year-over-year changes to the amount of bonds purchased and brand spanking new reserves created by the Fed, peaking at $4.1 trillion had no correlation to the growth of the economy. The reason is, the Fed can't make purchases of real goods and services in the economy. The Feds money creation only increases or decreases reserves within the banking system. The Fed uses reserves as a way to manipulate the interest rate.

EconGuy

I should probably address this
That's not the way it works according to every source I look at including directly from the US Treasury web site. If the Fed wants to inject money into the economy it does so by buying US treasuries. If it wants to take money out of the economy, it does so by selling these treasuries. Nothing gets "printed" this is just credits or debits which gets added to the system.

Yes, that's exactly how it works, but there's something you've completely misunderstood. The Fed does everything you've said, but the Fed isn't the original source of money in the economy, it's simply using it's power to create increased stocks or flows of dollars though treasury sales or treasury purchases.

QE is a perfect example, buying bonds and creating reserves which in turn banks earned more money on reserves and were supposed to increase lending, but reserves weren't the issue and why QE failed....But I digress). And while that money is created by the Fed is ex-nihilo (offset by an existing asset, like a treasury), as you say, it is limited by the money in existence (created by government) and is balanced, 1 for 1 on the Feds books, assets for liabilities. The reserves the Fed created (which only exist within the banking system) last until the bond comes due. The government on the other hand creates money when it spends. It doesn't sell the bond or tax first. You really need to let that sink in.

In a fiat economy the government MUST create and circulate it's dollars before it can sell bonds or collect taxes. Neither private banks, nor the Fed can create money until the government creates and circulates money first.

Everything else is a statutory requirement. Going back to the example of letting my wife decide how much I eat. That's not an objective requirement. It's one that is chosen. I'm trying to get people to look past the statutory requirements at the way the system actually works.
Again the Fed adds credits to the system by purchasing US treasuries. This is still ex-nihilo. This is just how they go about it. Although the Fed has no money to pay for this. They just have the ability to magically create credits in bank accounts.

As I said, the government creates and spends money into the economy. Statutorily, it creates a debt asset pair as you and I agree. The asset is created, though it is already earmarked for spending before it is created, by law (the Congressional budget) first and the treasury is sold later after the the government creates and circulates the money (again, but issuing instructions to the Fed to credit accounts). It cannot be any other way. It's impossible in the confines of the system that we operate under to sell debt or collect taxes before you circulate money to buy treasuries or pay taxes.

I'll come back to some of the other stuff soon

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Money only has a value because people trust it.

If people cease to trust it it will have zero value.

That is the tipping point people fear.

The USA could never pay off its debts.

That is why other countries are selling their bonds and buying gold. And trading in other currencies.

America nor any one else can print gold.

EconGuy

Raise taxes to fund the mitigation & recovery.
So taxes could, at least in theory become an increasingly large part of an individuals taxes if there were a bad stretch of years with major disaster.

Or recognize that there are limits to what
the country should subsidize.
The only real limit is the nations capacity to increase productivity to deal with the disaster without causing deep acute or chronic long term shortages in the labor or materials markets.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So taxes could, at least in theory become an increasingly large part of an individuals taxes if there were a bad stretch of years with major disaster.
Yes.
And taxes could be reduced as expenses decline.
The only real limit is the nations capacity to increase productivity to deal with the disaster without causing deep acute or chronic long term shortages in the labor or materials markets.
Consider the advantage of requiring that taxes rise
to match expenses, ie, immediate feedback to voters
regarding how politicians spend money. It's an
opportunity to rein in spending.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I should probably address this

Yes, that's exactly how it works, but there's something you've completely misunderstood. The Fed does everything you've said, but the Fed isn't the original source of money in the economy, it's simply using it's power to create increased stocks or flows of dollars though treasury sales or treasury purchases.

QE is a perfect example, buying bonds and creating reserves which in turn banks earned more money on reserves and were supposed to increase lending, but reserves weren't the issue and why QE failed....But I digress). And while that money is created by the Fed is ex-nihilo (offset by an existing asset, like a treasury), as you say, it is limited by the money in existence (created by government) and is balanced, 1 for 1 on the Feds books, assets for liabilities. The reserves the Fed created (which only exist within the banking system) last until the bond comes due. The government on the other hand creates money when it spends. It doesn't sell the bond or tax first. You really need to let that sink in.

In a fiat economy the government MUST create and circulate it's dollars before it can sell bonds or collect taxes. Neither private banks, nor the Fed can create money until the government creates and circulates money first.

Originally the dollar was tied to gold. The gold existed, is wasn't magically created by the government. In 1973 when Nixon took the US off of the gold standard, the dollar was already in circulation. The currency was already out there in existence. The only thing taking the dollar off the gold standard was to substitute the dollars already in existence as the standard for gold. The government did not have to create or circulate the dollar. They only had to agree to continue to honor the value of the dollar already in circulation even if you would no longer be able to exchange the dollar itself for actual gold. IOW, the value already was in circulation however the dollar itself became the standard back buy the US government.

Everything else is a statutory requirement. Going back to the example of letting my wife decide how much I eat. That's not an objective requirement. It's one that is chosen. I'm trying to get people to look past the statutory requirements at the way the system actually works.

As I said, the government creates and spends money into the economy. Statutorily, it creates a debt asset pair as you and I agree. The asset is created, though it is already earmarked for spending before it is created, by law (the Congressional budget) first and the treasury is sold later after the the government creates and circulates the money (again, but issuing instructions to the Fed to credit accounts). It cannot be any other way. It's impossible in the confines of the system that we operate under to sell debt or collect taxes before you circulate money to buy treasuries or pay taxes.

I'll come back to some of the other stuff soon

First gold was the standard then later the dollar itself. Both were were already in circulation when the dollar became the substitute standard.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
First, I wanted to thank you for continuing our discussion and asking challenging questions.

Ok, so hopefully we've come to some agreement on the Feds role. The Fed has been given autonomy within the government and it's statutory requirement is to buy or sell bonds to meet whatever statutory obligations it has as well as exercising it's own independence in managing monetary policy to achieve the goals given to it as part of it's charter. In fact the Fed and Treasury work together, quite closely.

The inescapable fact that you've been unwilling to concede so far, is that the government spends before the Fed sells bonds. In other words, there can never be a shortage of money to purchase bonds, because the government injects that money into the economy prior to any bonds being sold. Fiat economies could never exist if this weren't true. The Fed couldn't sell bonds if this weren't true.

The money is already in circulation created by the banks through the loans process. The banks are obligated to pay back this money to offset the debt created by the banks original loan from the government. The government doesn't only have to sell treasuries to the government, it can also sell bonds to other countries, to other government agencies, to the public. In order to cover its debt it can sell bonds to varies agencies. No additional money needs to be created for this.

I think you're making this harder than it has to be. I'm trying to pull back the curtain here a bit and show how things work under the sheets.

My only argument here is that taxes and treasury sales do not make it possible for the government to spend. The fact is, the government could spend without taxes or Treasury sales. Now, please, please don't misunderstand what I just said. I'm simply trying to establish the fact that taxes and treasuries are not for the reasons we are told. They are still necessary (though one could argue that you only need taxation, but that's for a latter time). The point is simply that taxes and bonds do not fund spending, they are required only for statutory reasons. They are a self imposition.

Sure, the government could simply print money but in doing so the dollar would quickly loose value so it doesn't do this.

Look, I admit that my view aren't orthodox, but strictly speaking I'm right. Much of what the nation have come to believe exists, is because it is the way things were understood in prior money regimes. We stuck to a gold redemption/ gold backed theory of how to learn our system of money even after we changed the system. The fear was and still is that if Congress and the people learn that there's no real (real being a fiscal term here, not an offhanded one) constraint on money creation, specifically that taxes and borrowing aren't the real constraint to money creation, that Congress and the people will go crazy with spending and drive the economy into a state of hyperinflation ignoring the fact that there are real limitations that people should be aware of.

Understanding the real constraints on the economy is the only thing that will prevent:

View attachment 81674

That yellow area is the difference between the nations capacity to produce before resulting in demand driven inflation pressure and what it is actually producing. Inflation happens when the bottom line in that graph meets or exceeds the top line.

So I produce 100 cars. I could produce 140 cars. If I produced 140 cars, the maximum I could produce, we'd have inflation?

What if nobody wants the additional 40 cars I produced? I would end up having to reduce their price in order to entice additional buyers,

Now what could have been done with all that lost productivity? How much infrastructure could have been fixed? How many schools, or playgrounds built? Hospitals, nursing homes, whatever? All productivity you can never get back because you've been told that debt someday (though no one ever says when, but it's always right around the corner) will all have to be repaid with taxes, despite the fact that your taxes don't pay a single dollar towards the debt, not $1.

Sorry, I simply don't know where you are coming from. You seem to assume that money can be created without the creation of debt. If you give a dollar to someone, the must be able to exchange it for something else because it is tied to the debt of the, in this case, US government.

However, I've pointed out that the government does in fact repay the debt, many times over every single year, mostly by rolling over existing debt and then selling new debt equal to whatever the defect is for that year. Not a system that will last forever for sure as things change, but that doesn't mean that future change will be the apocalypse.

This is simply saying your handing off the debt to someone else(future generations).

I think that leads us to one of your responses, that I should address here.

First, the US government CAN NEVER EVER be forced to default in its own currency. That is an abhorrent myth.

Don't believe me? Here are quotes from former Federal Reserve Chainman.

Alan Greenspan: “A government cannot become insolvent with respect to obligations in its own currency.”
Alan Greenspan: “There is nothing to prevent the federal government from creating as much money as it wants and paying it to somebody.”
Alan Greenspan: “The United States can pay any debt it has because we can always [create] the money to do that.”
Ben Bernanke: “The U.S. government has a technology, called a printing press (or, today, its electronic equivalent), that allows it to produce as many U.S. dollars as it wishes at essentially no cost.”
Quote from former Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke when he was on 60 Minutes:
Scott Pelley: Is that tax money that the Fed is spending?
Ben Bernanke: It’s not tax money… We simply use the computer to mark up the size of the account.

Note how the former chairman of the Fed refer to the "Federal government" not the "Federal Reserve" when talking about creating money?

So respectfully, no, the US government can never be insolvent in its own currency. Every single member of the European Economic Union can, any nation that borrows money in another nations currency can, but the US government cannot default. I know that politicians tell us that we can, but that's because they, quite literally, don't understand economics much better than the average business owner.

All very bad ideas. What the US can do and what it should do are different things. A currency not tied to debt has no intrinsic value. Thankfully this is not the policy of the US government.

But let's go back to what you said about people being willing to buy US debt. The key word here is "if". First, most of the "debt" purchased inside the US is purchased by the government itself.
No, it is actually held by the public.
Who Owns the US National Debt?

As I've stated and you didn't disagree, the purpose of taxes is:
1. As an instrument of fiscal policy to help stabilize the purchasing power of the dollar;
2. To express public policy in the distribution of wealth and of income, as in the case of the progressive income and estate taxes;
3. To express public policy in subsidizing or in penalizing various industries and economic groups;
4. To isolate and assess directly the costs of certain national benefits, such as highways and social security.

There's nothing in there about financing spending. or repaying debt, That's not the purpose of taxes. As a matter of fact, today, zero dollars collected in taxes are used to pay debt.

I'll wait for you to provide a source for this because it is not anything close to what I've read. Although yes, that is the complaint. The government is not fulfilling it's obligation to it's debt.

The problem is that people like yourself tend to look at the debt or said another way, the national surplus all by itself.

You also haven't acknowledged that the roughly $31.7 trillion dollars of debt (national surplus) as also bought a lot of stuff that my kids benefit from. Trillions of dollars in high tech infrastructure, trillions of dollars in educating the population that has lead to one of the highest standards of living in the world and for better or worse, depending where you sit, the worlds most powerful miliary just to name a few.

And none of the three things I mentioned, would have been possible unless the government created debt asset pairs totally trillions of dollars.

Right, the debt is necessary for the value of the dollar.

I think it's pretty evident by something like this chart:

View attachment 81675

When we look at year-over-year changes to the amount of bonds purchased and brand spanking new reserves created by the Fed, peaking at $4.1 trillion had no correlation to the growth of the economy. The reason is, the Fed can't make purchases of real goods and services in the economy. The Feds money creation only increases or decreases reserves within the banking system. The Fed uses reserves as a way to manipulate the interest rate.

Sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to show me.
I see depository reserves vs GDP. What does bond purchases have to do with this.

The Fed can both manipulate interest rate and purchase bonds. It can also change the reserve requirement for banks so the Fed can control the amount of "new" money created by the banks. Whichever they feel is the best way to support their statues.

EconGuy

The money is already in circulation created by the banks through the loans process. The banks are obligated to pay back this money to offset the debt created by the banks original loan from the government. The government doesn't only have to sell treasuries to the government, it can also sell bonds to other countries, to other government agencies, to the public. In order to cover its debt it can sell bonds to varies agencies. No additional money needs to be created for this.

You like sources, so I gave you quotes by actual Fed Chairman who acknowledged that the government creates money by marking up balances in accounts. Shall I quote it again? How much does the Fed mark up those accounts? By the amount of the budget set by Congress. They don't borrow the money first, then mark up the accounts, the Fed marks up the account at the instruction of the Treasury, only after does it sell the bond as a procedural measure.

Sure, the government could simply print money but in doing so the dollar would quickly loose value so it doesn't do this.

Oh boy. So now you think that if the government creates money it results in inflation, but you think the Fed does it and it's somehow different?

Please tell me you don't really believe that in all instances, that creating new money and circulating it into an economy doesn't as a rule create inflation? If yes, then give some modern examples, anything in the 20th century or more recent.
So I produce 100 cars. I could produce 140 cars. If I produced 140 cars, the maximum I could produce, we'd have inflation?

Again, let's talk in things that are necessary and neglected, then we'll get to things like cars.

Let's say 140 dams need critical levels of repair, but there is one enough money created to fix 100. If we have people to do the work and the raw materials to do it, then creating the money and fixing all 140 is the right thing to do.

You'd say that creating the extra money would create extra debt we'd pass on to our children, I'd say that the REAL costs we pass on to our children is the additional costs to repair increasingly run down infrastructure that costs more to repair the longer you wait. It costs more in business not being able to use thousands of bridges just, for instance, in the St. Louis area?

That is the real legacy of cost that we're passing on to our children. Not interest rates costs that are in the same proportion they were in 1940!!
Those bridges were in better shape in the 1980s than they are now, which means any kid during that time got the benefit, but now those kids are 40, 50, 60 year old adults telling tomorrows kids, sorry, we don't want to spend the money our parents spent because we've been fooled into thinking that you'll have to pay more in taxes. Ironically, it was the same kinds of lies they've been telling for 50 years. It wasn't true then and it's not true now.

Now don't misunderstand me here. there is a LOT of generalization going on. There are things being done in government that need improvement. there are lots of bad spending policies.. Do get confused here and think that I'm defending what happens in Congress today as ok, or no problem. I'm simply saying that you are mistaken about where money comes from, what the real costs are and "who pays for it".

Now, let's say the government creates enough money to fix $1 trillion dollars of infrastructure. We save our kids the future expense (not to mention potential loss of life) and todays adults will earn that $1 trillion dollars as income. Construction people, engineers, steel companies, computer manufactures, the list is endless. Where would the money come from to pay taxes on that extra trillion dollars? How about the trillion dollars of earned income building the new infrastructure????
Sorry, I simply don't know where you are coming from. You seem to assume that money can be created without the creation of debt.

I have literally agreed with you on this point several times. All money is created as a debt asset pair. Not just "debt" but two things. A debt held by the government an an asset earned by whomever the government pays. I recently started worked for the government. My paycheck is the result of government creating debt equal to my salary, dollar for dollar. So let's say I make $100k, the government incurs $100k in debt. My $100k in fiscal assets are the result of the government's $100k in fiscal debt.

So if the government needs something that I make, let's say I design high speed fiber optic networks that improve speed and efficiency and lower cost for the government, that something the next generation will benefit from. The extra dollars that paid for older slower networks can now be used on something else.

You seem to think debt only creates debt, while completely ignoring the fact that not creating new money and repairing things like dams, whont have real costs on our kids.
This is simply saying your handing off the debt to someone else(future generations).

Who said "handing off".

No, no, no......These are legitimate fiscal operations that exist because of the HUGE market for US global international trade. Our balance of trade that you can call "fiscally defect" or "real good surplus" (it is literally both). Open your eyes brother. You are so focused and fearful of the cost you've completely blinded yourself to the benefits.

Do you like your iPhone (or whatever phone you have). For iPhones specifically I've seen papers that estimate the cost to build the phone here from screw-to-screen entirely in the US, would be $12,000 to $30,000. Now that's a very large range, with a lot of mitigating hard to answer questions, but you can pick one up for $750 because someone else in the world can do it for less than we can. Now I don't want to address the moral side of that (and yes, I agree up front, there is moral component here, but this isn't the place to address it).

So no, it's not "handing off" as you say, it is a very large and complex series of events that take years to understand. He is the best way I can explain in layperson terms. In this example I'm just outlining China for simplicities sake.

1693875406840.png

So again, no, saying it's "handing off debt" as to hand wave away the fact that I'm right, and US taxpayers don't pay a single cent on the debt, and in fact earn interest on it, is disingenuous.
A currency not tied to debt has no intrinsic value. Thankfully this is not the policy of the US government.

The US dollar is tied to Treasury debt, and it's value is not intrinsic either way. It's value is extrinsic.

Let's try this, we can agree that super bowl tickets are extremely valuable. But their value isn't intrinsic, it's extrinsic. The value is tied directly to the debt you are owed. In this case, a seat at the game.
No, it is actually held by the public.

Wow?

1693875831280.png

From the article you just posted.
For those reading along here is what Nakosis is responding too....

"First, most of the "debt" purchased inside the US is purchased by the government itself." -EG

The Balance, the creator of the pie chart isn't wrong, but they are a little sloppy here.

"debt held by the public" is usually called "the non-government sector" which can be further broken down into the US private sector and the foreign sector.

If we dig a little deeper than two categories, we see that my claim was correct.

1693876148685.png

That means, that 40% of the debt, the government could just forgive itself. It doesn't because the debt is a method of accounting. Of "keeping score", this is how finance works.
I'll wait for you to provide a source for this because it is not anything close to what I've read. Although yes, that is the complaint. The government is not fulfilling it's obligation to it's debt.

I already did. I showed you the Daily Treasury statement here:

1693876511147.png

I found the prettier PDF version....

The government year to date has issued $129 trillion dollars and repaid $127 trillion. There it is. All $127 trillion dollars in debt that was redeemed this year and every other year was paid for by issuing new treasuries.

No person income taxes were necessary. There isn't a single line item budget for payment of government debt with income taxes. I mean, there might be idiots in the US House or Senate using fear as method to get elected by telling you this will all come right around the corner. This is a lie that's not at least 84 years old, with congress in the 1940 predicting the same fiscal calamity. The worst prediction ever (well, except the one about Jesus coming back).

Here's the source:

It lists every single day of every single year for the last 25 years. Then I believe there's also an archive.
Right, the debt is necessary for the value of the dollar.
Debt asset pairs, are necessary to properly account for spending in a fiat economy. The debt doesn't have to be a treasury, that's really a relic of the gold standard era, but yeah.

Sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to show me.

You said that the Fed injects money into the economy, I'm just trying to show you that it adds and removes reserves by asset swaps. The Fed creates dollar assets and buys bonds, increasing reserves in the banking system (and balances of individuals) or it sells bonds, the swap is bonnds for dollars.

That's all it is. The Fed isn't buying anything real. That's Congresses job.

I'm afraid we're reaching the limit of what we can accomplish in this conversation. Usually my opponents at this point are pretty fixed in their positions so I don't expect anything I said will make you smack yourself on the forehead and suddenly understand. Some of that is my fault as I often read things like this later and realized I doing stick on a particular point or a did a poor job of explaining.

Either way, it's been great fun to discuss, and even if I haven't convinced you, I hope I've at least caused you to second guess something and I encourage you to keep learning. For my part, I always learn more from these kinds of exchanges which is why I participate in them.

I hope other find our conversation even more useful than you are I.

Respectfully,

EG

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
You like sources, so I gave you quotes by actual Fed Chairman who acknowledged that the government creates money by marking up balances in accounts. Shall I quote it again? How much does the Fed mark up those accounts? By the amount of the budget set by Congress. They don't borrow the money first, then mark up the accounts, the Fed marks up the account at the instruction of the Treasury, only after does it sell the bond as a procedural measure.

No, I addressed this previously. Actually I'm looking for a reference saying the doesn't use tax revenue to pay for its budget.

Oh boy. So now you think that if the government creates money it results in inflation, but you think the Fed does it and it's somehow different?

Please tell me you don't really believe that in all instances, that creating new money and circulating it into an economy doesn't as a rule create inflation? If yes, then give some modern examples, anything in the 20th century or more recent.

Germany, 1920
1920s Hyperinflation in Germany and Bank Notes

More recently, during the US recession 2008, although the government increased the money supply, the banks refused to lend. So what prevented inflation, even tough the government increased the supply of money, that money was put into circulation. The idea here is to not cause inflation. So if we have been avoiding it, it is thanks to the monetary policy or like when the banks themselves limited the circulation of money.

Again, let's talk in things that are necessary and neglected, then we'll get to things like cars.

Let's say 140 dams need critical levels of repair, but there is one enough money created to fix 100. If we have people to do the work and the raw materials to do it, then creating the money and fixing all 140 is the right thing to do.

Sure, you are focused on need vs want. If the government did the same, I suspect balancing the budget wouldn't be a problem.

You'd say that creating the extra money would create extra debt we'd pass on to our children, I'd say that the REAL costs we pass on to our children is the additional costs to repair increasingly run down infrastructure that costs more to repair the longer you wait. It costs more in business not being able to use thousands of bridges just, for instance, in the St. Louis area?

That is the real legacy of cost that we're passing on to our children. Not interest rates costs that are in the same proportion they were in 1940!!
Those bridges were in better shape in the 1980s than they are now, which means any kid during that time got the benefit, but now those kids are 40, 50, 60 year old adults telling tomorrows kids, sorry, we don't want to spend the money our parents spent because we've been fooled into thinking that you'll have to pay more in taxes. Ironically, it was the same kinds of lies they've been telling for 50 years. It wasn't true then and it's not true now.

Now don't misunderstand me here. there is a LOT of generalization going on. There are things being done in government that need improvement. there are lots of bad spending policies.. Do get confused here and think that I'm defending what happens in Congress today as ok, or no problem. I'm simply saying that you are mistaken about where money comes from, what the real costs are and "who pays for it".

Now, let's say the government creates enough money to fix $1 trillion dollars of infrastructure. We save our kids the future expense (not to mention potential loss of life) and todays adults will earn that $1 trillion dollars as income. Construction people, engineers, steel companies, computer manufactures, the list is endless. Where would the money come from to pay taxes on that extra trillion dollars? How about the trillion dollars of earned income building the new infrastructure????

Kind of like the roads in Calif. The state would say they needed more money to fix the roads. The tax payers would improve tax increases. Everyone benefits from better roads. Except the government would take the increased tax revenue and spend it elsewhere. The roads wouldn't get fixed. Too often I've seen the government fail to deliver the infrastructure as promised.

I have literally agreed with you on this point several times. All money is created as a debt asset pair. Not just "debt" but two things. A debt held by the government an an asset earned by whomever the government pays. I recently started worked for the government. My paycheck is the result of government creating debt equal to my salary, dollar for dollar. So let's say I make $100k, the government incurs $100k in debt. My $100k in fiscal assets are the result of the government's $100k in fiscal debt.

So if the government needs something that I make, let's say I design high speed fiber optic networks that improve speed and efficiency and lower cost for the government, that something the next generation will benefit from. The extra dollars that paid for older slower networks can now be used on something else.

You seem to think debt only creates debt, while completely ignoring the fact that not creating new money and repairing things like dams, whont have real costs on our kids.

If the government is spending on necessary infrastructure then this should grow the economy along with that spending. Any additional spending should cause an increase in tax revenue so targeted infrastructure spending should pay for itself.

Who said "handing off".

No, no, no......These are legitimate fiscal operations that exist because of the HUGE market for US global international trade. Our balance of trade that you can call "fiscally defect" or "real good surplus" (it is literally both). Open your eyes brother. You are so focused and fearful of the cost you've completely blinded yourself to the benefits.

The benefits should include increased tax revenue.

EconGuy

No, I addressed this previously. Actually I'm looking for a reference saying the doesn't use tax revenue to pay for its budget.

If the government collects more than enough in treasury sales to repay outstanding treasury balances (with interest), how is that not adequate? I can't show you payments that don't exist.

If you prefer, you can look at inferences like how much debt increased in a given time span and how taxes changed to reflect increase in the deficit.

(Hint: tax levels have stayed the same or fallen over the long term) despite massive increases in debt.

Inflation is really a thread unto itself.

Put simply. what we really want to know when it comes to a subject like inflation is what is the root cause?

So for instance, if a person falls out of a boat and drowns. What was the cause? Imagine if you asked the police, what was the cause of death? If he responded, "water filled his lungs". Yeah, we know that, duh....That's literally the definition of drowning, but that doesn't tell us why he drowned, what was the cause. Saying that creating money caused inflation is as meaningless as saying that water is the cause of drowning. Inflation is always the result of demand exceeding supply causing prices to increase, but that's not really useful as that is the letteral explanation of the cause of inflation. But it tells us nothing of the circumstances, the root of the cause of the problem, which often need context and a level of understanding to determine the true cause.

So why did Weimar end up in hyper inflation? There are several causes, but most significantly was the destruction of German factories in the war. If you don't have production your money loses value because there's less to buy with it. In other words, if you have a well functioning economy, inflation is very low, and tomorrow production stops, prices will slowly increase as goods and services purchased are not replaced with new goods and services. In other words, you can have inflation without printing a single dollar.

Next, the last most productive place in Germany that was still whole, the Ruhr Valley was annexed by the French, where the German workers there refused to work (more loss of productivity).

So add it up, create more money and limited ability to make the things that you can use that same money to purchase, bingo, inflation.

Now just add the treaty that forced Germany to repay gold in reparations, gold that quickly ran out inside Germany and had to be purchased on the global market with.......Bingo, you guessed it, money created by the government. So money was created, exported to the global market to buy gold. So the money created and spent did NOTHING to increase productivity in Germany.

So the cause of hyperinflation wasn't "creating money" it was a lot more complicated than that. Anyone that believes it's that simple lacks a real understanding of inflation.
More recently, during the US recession 2008, although the government increased the money supply, the banks refused to lend.
This is the kind of statement that, respectively, comes from reading blogs or headlines.

Here is the conclusion of a paper that I'd agree with:

Two alternative factors are correlated with declines in bank lending: increases in bank regulations and banks’ excess reserves. Bank regulations ballooned following the crisis, and several studies provide evidence of their detrimental effects on lending and the banking system. Since the financial crisis, the Fed’s policy of paying interest on reserves has caused banks to take on trillions of dollars of excess reserves, and their loans have declined in equal measure. Future discussions of the decline in bank lending should focus on the effects of regulation and excess reserves rather than on economic activity, which was not an important driver of lending in the post-crisis period.

Increases in regulations have a pretty obvious effect, but excess reserves? Yes, banks lend and take risk, when the Fed started paying interest just to hold bank reserves, that resulted in banks wanting higher levels of interest simply to make a loan.

The one thing not mentioned here is how many people had ruined their credit. This chart I plucked off Google images shows.....

1693930777657.png

So now on top of everything else, higher regulations, decreases in risk tolerance and fewer credit worth borrowers.

Of course, during the pandemic we avoided this problem by "bailing out" the average person with increases in unemployment benefits, free money, halting certain types of loans ect.....
Kind of like the roads in Calif. The state would say they needed more money to fix the roads. The tax payers would improve tax increases. Everyone benefits from better roads. Except the government would take the increased tax revenue and spend it elsewhere. The roads wouldn't get fixed. Too often I've seen the government fail to deliver the infrastructure as promised.

Those are failures of policy, not evidence that the fiscal system doesn't work.

The point, which you missed or ignored is that not fixing those problems are the real costs we pass on to our children.

If the government is spending on necessary infrastructure then this should grow the economy along with that spending. Any additional spending should cause an increase in tax revenue so targeted infrastructure spending should pay for itself.

Not that I disagree that infrastructure can create growth opportunities in the economy, but this idea that things "pay for themselves" is the problem. Assuming that a bridge in the right place allows for 100's of millions of dollars in increased revenue, decreased costs in time and energy expense. You're thinking about "paying for itself in fiscal terms, yet you seem at other times to recognize that productivity is the issue. People use this term "pay for itself" a lot in politics, but you cannot save your way to prosperity.

If you want 3% growth in your economy and you know you're going to have 2% inflation, then the amount of omney spent in the economy has increase by 5%. That's math, that's how it works. Increasing taxes to repay debt removes money from an economy, you're going in the wrong direction.

Infrastructure increases productivity, and you want to penalize that by taking increasing amount of money out of the economy to pay taxes to lower debt. To what end, to what benefit? Will my taxes fall as a result? Nope. Debt went for $5 trillion in 1990 to $32 trillion today and we can see tax rates are not reflective of debt levels.

1693949301493.png

I keep saying that the economy runs on spending, every dollar you remove in taxes to pay down debt removes business from the economy. You want to repay $300 billion, your going to remove about $1-1.5 trillion in economic activity. Why? Because dollars circulate and touch more than one person, so now you have decide who get's paid $1-$1.5 trillion less to pay down the debt $300 billion (or whatever amount you want)?

Spending is income, loans create deposits, government debt are earned private sector income.

The benefits should include increased tax revenue.

You want this because intuitively it feels right, but I've shown you 10 ways to Sunday that increasing tax revenue won't "make room" for more spending, it won't lower your taxes and it won't help the children of the future.

If you want to help the children of the future, look at how money is spent.

Money spent on the War in Iraq and Afghanistan, could have paid for free education and healthcare for decades, and while I like cool military tech like this:

1693949668540.png

I wish we had more money for healthcare, education and vocational training opportunities.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
You might find this interesting?

Paul Sheard has a very radical way of looking at money which it seems few agree with.

I'll look into it more but in initially it seems that he separates money, the dollar, from the value that is attached to it.

So although the dollar itself is the standard, it also represents the goods and services it can purchase. When the government goes into debt through the sale of treasuries it also removes from the economy, the bathtub, the value attached to those dollars.

In his example of a twenty dollar bill. You go to the Fed and ask to be given the value of a twenty dollar bill. The Fed takes the twenty dollar bill and returns to you another twenty. So what? The Fed is only providing the standard of exchange, not the value attached to it. If you want the value of the dollar you have to go out into the economy and purchase good and services with it. At the same time, the US government takes this standard of exchange and uses it to purchase goods and services. In this sense the US government becomes another consumer using the dollar the same as any other consumer.

Paul Sheard has a lot of experience with the Japanese economy. I don't know how well that translates to understanding the US/Federal monetary system. Hie understanding of the debt seems off. The debt holders of US treasuries have had the value attached to their dollars taken from them, temporarily, and expect that value, guaranteed by the US government, returned to them.

EconGuy

When the government goes into debt through the sale of treasuries it also removes from the economy, the bathtub, the value attached to those dollars.

The sale of a bond simply moves dollars to savings, liquid to illiquid. It's no different than buying a CD at the bank, at least with respect to its effect on the economy.
In this sense the US government becomes another consumer using the dollar the same as any other consumer.

With the exception of the fact that the US government is the monopoly issuer of the currency, every one else on earth is a user if they hold dollars.

The debt holders of US treasuries have had the value attached to their dollars taken from them

How so? Would you say the same thing about a certificate of deposit?