• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Significance of Amun being praised in all Christian, Jewish and Muslim prayers

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
The forms of the word Amun, Amen (Christain and Jewish "amen") and Ameen (Islamic Amen), are said at the end of prayers. Is there any significance to this?

In Judaism it's pronounced Ahmayn. Definitely not Amun. It's an acronym. אמן - Aleph-Mem-Nun. It means Ail Melech N'emahn. "God [is] a faithful King".

Makes sense at the end of a prayer, or, a blessing of course. In that context it's like saying, "I have faith in this, because God is a faithful King". There can be no stronger affirmation than saying "I agree so much, it's as if God has promised."

ChieftheCef

Weedian Magnus
In Judaism it's pronounced Ahmayn. Definitely not Amun. It's an acronym. אמן - Aleph-Mem-Nun. It means Ail Melech N'emahn. "God [is] a faithful King".
For a pleasant reply you receive pleasantness! That makes sense because Amun is the highest God of the Egyptian's state religion. Thank you sir, I wish you well on your days.

ChieftheCef

Weedian Magnus
In Hinduism, Aum forms the beginning and end of prayers.

Aum, Amen, Ameen, Amun, could there be a common origin of these words !
Exactly! It's the worldview that makes sense to me! All religions are talking about God. Even daoism and confucionism. They are talking about a sort of spirituality arising from the universe, Atum who contains all things.

ChieftheCef

Weedian Magnus
No, because just because two words sound a little alike does not logically conclude they are related, especially when they are two different languages.
But that doesn't even mean that they aren't rooted in the same meaning and sound.
In Hinduism, Aum forms the beginning and end of prayers.

Aum, Amen, Ameen, Amun, could there be a common origin of these words !
There may even be Pagan words expressing amn. I mean, so far, all of these come after Egypt pronouncing it ah muhn.

ChieftheCef

Weedian Magnus

Makes sense at the end of a prayer, or, a blessing of course. In that context it's like saying, "I have faith in this, because God is a faithful King". There can be no stronger affirmation than saying "I agree so much, it's as if God has promised."
And that IS what your side says.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
For a pleasant reply you receive pleasantness! That makes sense because Amun is the highest God of the Egyptian's state religion. Thank you sir, I wish you well on your days.

Thank you too :) And I likewise wish you well.

Has there been information posted here on the egyptian god Amun so that I can read more about it?

And that IS what your side says.

Naturally. What other source is available to provide the etymology for א-מ-ן ?

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Our Father, which art in Heaven,
Hallowed be thy name
Thy Kingdom come,
Thy will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven,
Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive those who trespass against us,
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.
Woden.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
You clearly weren't listening. His point was that there can't be any relationship between the two words, because the word Amen in Hebrew is an acronym.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I don't know. I would check YouTube.

So where are you getting your information on Amun? Youtube? I've found that to be a terriblee soource for information. Especially when it comes to the attempts to sync-up Judaism with Egyptian religions.

Amun is the highest God of the Egyptian's state religion.

This is what I'm looking at.

I haven't read it carefully, but, I don't see "the highest God of the Egyptian's state religion". Do you see that?

I do see a rising to power and a name change to Amun-Ra. That's significantly different than Ahmayhn. Amun, it seems was a "wind" god. Alpeh-Mem-Nun is referring to a faithful king. The root Aleph-Mem-Nun means "faith". Judaism doesn't have a "wind" god. The word for wind or spirit is Ruach, that is Reish-Vav-Chet. It's a totally different word.

Amun-Ra's spouse, Ma'at, I think is the "faithful" god in the egyptian pantheon.

These are the sort of details that get omitted often when "youtubers" masquerade as experts.

Could be any inscription of Amun.

Bring one! Let's look at it!

You as well, dawg

t's great you said this. Dawg is a great example. What's happening, it seems, is a phonetic similarity is being exaggerated into something significant when it isn't. There's a term for this. It's called "parallelomania".

It should be obvious that phonetic similarities do not always have significance nor confer a relationship between two words. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

In english is there a relationship between "sun" and "son"? How about the name "Don" and the sun rising at "dawn"? What about "damn" the expletive and a "dam" built by beavers? Is there any corresponence?

You mentioned "dawg" it's one of my favorite examples. Because in hebrew a "dog" ( dawg ) is a fish! Literally. You see, people claim these phonetic correlations a lot, but, they're really silly. They're claiming a dog is a fish! Then when it's shown to them that the two words are actually quite different, they put their fingers in their ears and close their eyes like a crazy person. That's why it's called parallelomania. The individual has a sort of mania.

What you'll find is, the shorter the word, the easier it is to falsely imagine a phonetic correspondance when there isn't one.

Conversely, there could be a correspondence, and it could be that someone like me has paralllelophobia where they will deny ANY parallels. It's the same cognitive fault as the maniac, but it's being applied in reverse as a phobia ( of sorts ).

Make sense?

That's why it's good to look at these correspondences to see if the phonetic similarity *actually* describes a parallel, or, are all the differences being ignored such that a dog is imagined to be a fish?

Last edited:

ChieftheCef

Weedian Magnus
So where are you getting your information on Amun? Youtube? I've found that to be a terriblee soource for information. Especially when it comes to the attempts to sync-up Judaism with Egyptian religions.
YouTube actually has very reliable sources if you're not less than a caveman you can figure it out. Fog.
This is what I'm looking at.

I haven't read it carefully, but, I don't see "the highest God of the Egyptian's state religion". Do you see that?

I do see a rising to power and a name change to Amun-Ra. That's significantly different than Ahmayhn. Amun, it seems was a "wind" god. Alpeh-Mem-Nun is referring to a faithful king. The root Alpeh-Mem-Nun means "faith". Judaism doesn't have a "wind" god. The word for wind or spirit is Ruach, that is Reish-Vav-Chet. It's a totally different word.

Amun-Ra's spouse, Ma'at, I think is the "faithful" god in the egyptian pantheon.

These are the sort of details that get omitted often when "youtubers" masquerade as experts.

Bring one! Let's look at it!

t's great you said this. Dawg is a great example. What's happening, it seems, is a phonetic similarity is being exaggerated into something significant when it isn't. There's a term for this. It's called "parallelomania".

It should be obvious that phoentic similarities do not always have significance nor confer a relationship between two words. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

In english is there a rrelationship between "sun" and "son"?
Actually that significance is Jesus, try harder.
How about the name "Don" and the sun rising at "dawn"? What about "damn" the expletive and a "dam" built by beavers? Is there any corresponance?
There very well is possibly a connection between all these words. Just because science didn't discover it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You can understand that, can't you?
You mentioned "dawg" it's one of my favorite examples. Because in hebrew a "dog" ( dawg ) is a fish! Literally. You see, people make claim these phonetic correlations a lot, but, they're really silly. They're claiming a dog is a fish! Then when it's shown to them that theey two worrds are actually quite different, they put they're fingers in their ears and close their eyes like a crazy person. That's why it's called parallelomania. The individual has a sort of mania.
Oh you mean like skydaddymania.
Conversly, there could be a correspondence, and it could be that someone like me has paralllelophobia where they will deny ANY parallels. It's the same cognitive fault as the maniac, but it's being applied in reverse as a phobia ( of sorts ).

Make sense?

That's why it's good to look at these correspondences to see if the phonetic similarity *actually* describes a parallel, or, are all the differences being ignored such that a dog is imagined to be a fish?
I was polite to you. Why couldn't you be polite to me?

ChieftheCef

Weedian Magnus
Our Father, which art in Heaven,
Hallowed be thy name
Thy Kingdom come,
Thy will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven,
Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive those who trespass against us,
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil
, Atum
Wouldn't even make sense, Wodens not God. Brahma is god. Atum is god. Nanna is god. Odin's not even the first created thing.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
, Atum

Wouldn't even make sense, Wodens not God. Brahma is god. Atum is god. Nanna is god. Odin's not even the first created thing.
Woden is the head of the Anglo-Saxon pantheon.

Atum and Amun aren't the same.

You need to drop this, it's just internet nonsense, dude. It's blindsided you.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
YouTube actually has very reliable sources if you're not less than a caveman you can figure it out. Fog

How would you know if they are reliable or not? Do you have a method for fact checking them?

Actually that significance is Jesus, try harder.

I'm not going to twist myself into a pretzel to go from אמן ---> egyptian wind god ---> Jesus.

אמן ---> Jesus makes more sense if the egyptian wind god is removed from the chain.

There is such a thing as trying to pound a square peg into a round hole.

Oh you mean like skydaddymania.

No, that's not what I meant. :)

I was polite to you. Why couldn't you be polite to me?

I'm sorry. I am being polite. Let's look at Amun. Let's look at the details. Then let's look at אמן. Let's look at the details.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
The forms of the word Amun, Amen (Christain and Jewish "amen") and Ameen (Islamic Amen), are said at the end of prayers. Is there any significance to this?
Why does this matter?

I do believe that these religions have egyptian influences (based off very limited knowledge) because of the religions that came before them from all over the region influencing them, which is natural, but why are these possible connection significant to you?

ChieftheCef

Weedian Magnus
Woden is the head of the Anglo-Saxon pantheon.

Atum and Amun aren't the same.

You need to drop this, it's just internet nonsense, dude. It's blindsided you.
WHat is the difference between Atum and Amun? As I was aware they were just titles.

ChieftheCef

Weedian Magnus
How would you know if they are reliable or not? Do you have a method for fact checking them?

I'm not going to twist myself into a pretzel to go from אמן ---> egyptian wind god ---> Jesus.

אמן ---> Jesus makes more sense if the egyptian wind god is removed from the chain.

There is such a thing as trying to pound a square peg into a round hole.
I'll say it slowly, one of the key similarities is they are both God God.
No, that's not what I meant. :)
Remarkably the same to neutral parties.
I'm sorry. I am being polite. Let's look at Amun. Let's look at the details. Then let's look at אמן. Let's look at the details.
I have!