• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Significance of Amun being praised in all Christian, Jewish and Muslim prayers

ChieftheCef

Weedian Magnus
Why does this matter?

I do believe that these religions have egyptian influences (based off very limited knowledge) because of the religions that came before them from all over the region influencing them, which is natural, but why are these possible connection significant to you?
That's what I'm asking! Did you read the thread or title?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Please do Explain.
Atum is a Sun-God who is seen as the father of Shu and Tefnut etc. He is pictured as a dark skinned human man.

Amun is not a sun-God, he began as a wind God, and did not generate Shu and Tefnut. He is pictured as a blue human man; blue to represent his invisibility. He is often pictured with a ram head. He is concerned with the poor and and troubled people, with such prayers being directed to him.

ChieftheCef

Weedian Magnus
Atum is a Sun-God who is seen as the father of Shu and Tefnut etc. He is pictured as a dark skinned human man.

Amun is not a sun-God, he began as a wind God, and did not generate Shu and Tefnut. He is pictured as a blue human man; blue to represent his invisibility. He is often pictured with a ram head. He is concerned with the poor and and troubled people, with such prayers being directed to him.
Who is the creator god? Who is the king of the gods?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Who is the creator god? Who is the king of the gods?
There isn't.

Ancient Egypt has at least 4 different creation myths with different Gods at the head of different pantheons. It doesn't work like European Paganisms; it's very eclectic. In some places it's Khnum, in some places it's Atum, in some places it's Ptah etc., all very different Gods. You have at least 4 different theologies to look at, without getting into the later Amun theology of the New Kingdom. They can't be put nicely together to form a coherent narrative because that's not how it worked for them. Each nome had its chief God, a Divine Triad often, etc. It is very complex.

There is no unified 'Ancient Egyptian religion' or belief system. It's many different, local theologies. It's pretty cool.

Last edited:

ChieftheCef

Weedian Magnus
There isn't.
So that's a lie, there are creator gods and Atum is one of them.
Ancient Egypt has at least 4 different creation myths with different Gods at the head of different pantheons. It doesn't work like European Paganisms; it's very eclectic. In some places it's Khnum, in some places it's Atum, in some places it's Ptah etc., all very different Gods. You have at least 4 different theologies to look at, without getting into the later Amun theology of the New Kingdom. They can't be put nicely together to form a coherent narrative because that's not how it worked for them. Each nome had its chief God, a Divine Triad often, etc. It is very complex.

There is no unified 'Ancient Egyptian religion' or belief system. It's many different, local theologies. It's pretty cool.
THere must be a way for it to have stayed unified though. Could be more unified than your minor amount of archealogical evidence (you know that survived) that you have seen, right?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
So that's a lie, there are creator gods and Atum is one of them.

THere must be a way for it to have stayed unified though. Could be more unified than your minor amount of archealogical evidence (you know that survived) that you have seen, right?
There are multiple creator Gods, not just one. Nor are they all just names for the same God.

We have lots of papyrus evidence, books, court records, stories, letters and so on from Egypt. We have reams of evidence for their theological beliefs. They were not unified and that didn't matter. You find the same in modern India. Depending on which nome you went to you would find a different creator God. This God would be known in the rest of Egypt but was not seen as the creator God.

This is all fairly basic stuff. It's not contested.

ChieftheCef

Weedian Magnus
There are multiple creator Gods, not just one. Nor are they all just names for the same God.

We have lots of papyrus evidence, books, court records, stories, letters and so on from Egypt. We have reams of evidence for their theological beliefs. They were not unified and that didn't matter. You find the same in modern India. Depending on which nome you went to you would find a different creator God. This God would be known in the rest of Egypt but was not seen as the creator God.

Anyway, I figured it out, Amun is the beggar god, like Jesus.

Thanks for helping me figure that out, guys. :)

There is significance to Amun and Yahweh, and others. They are all an a-oo, but Amun is a false God (yes capital G God, not like a god)

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I'll say it slowly, one of the key similarities is they are both God God.

I think there's more to it than that.

Remarkably the same to neutral parties.

Let's agree to disagree.

I have [ looked at the details of Amun and details of א-מ-ן.]

Well? Care to share those details? I asked for details regarding Amun you deflected/dodged and referred to YouTubers.

If you have details on א-מ-ן, that's needed too if you want to compare the two.

ChieftheCef

Weedian Magnus
I think there's more to it than that.
Definately, but right now I'm training my brain back to normal levels so I can really go at it with the conversations again.
Let's agree to disagree.
Fair enough.
Well? Care to share those details? I asked for details regarding Amun you deflected/dodged and referred to YouTubers.

If you have details on א-מ-ן, that's needed too if you want to compare the two.
I have a hunch you're wrong, but I am not sure exactly why. It has to do with the possibility of Wodenists, Khemetists, Polytheists in general, having some kind of solemn amun sound, or even polytheist religions like in the Amazon, and New World.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I have a hunch you're wrong, but I am not sure exactly why

Well, if you want to discuss it further with me send me a PM or tag me in this thread. It sounds like you're noticing a phonetic similarity cross cultures. In order for me to discuss it, I would need more details.

The "ah >>> mmmm >>> ayh >>> nnnnn" is an interesting vocal combination. And there might be something there which unites the concepts you've referred to. But again in order to distinguish it from a coincidence, details are needed.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, if you want to discuss it further with me send me a PM or tag me in this thread. It sounds like you're noticing a phonetic similarity cross cultures. In order for me to discuss it, I would need more details.

The "ah >>> mmmm >>> ayh >>> nnnnn" is an interesting vocal combination. And there might be something there which unites the concepts you've referred to. But again in order to distinguish it from a coincidence, details are needed.
This may be a clue:

In his groundbreaking paper “Why ‘Mama’ and ‘Papa’?,” linguist Roman Jakobson pointed to the first syllable babies are usually capable of making: “ah,” or “mah.” These are usually the first sounds babies reach for because they don’t require complex mouth positions (or the use of tongue or teeth).

This also explains the universality of words like “papa” and “dada” — the “p” or “b” sound usually follows the “m” sound in baby linguistics. Once babies start saying “ma,” they soon start saying “pa” and “da.”

Moreover, “mah” is associated with the murmuring sound a baby makes when it’s breastfeeding. Jakobson wrote:

ChieftheCef

Weedian Magnus

Right which is what the thread title is asking for

ChieftheCef

Weedian Magnus
This may be a clue:

In his groundbreaking paper “Why ‘Mama’ and ‘Papa’?,” linguist Roman Jakobson pointed to the first syllable babies are usually capable of making: “ah,” or “mah.” These are usually the first sounds babies reach for because they don’t require complex mouth positions (or the use of tongue or teeth).

This also explains the universality of words like “papa” and “dada” — the “p” or “b” sound usually follows the “m” sound in baby linguistics. Once babies start saying “ma,” they soon start saying “pa” and “da.”

Moreover, “mah” is associated with the murmuring sound a baby makes when it’s breastfeeding. Jakobson wrote:

It may just be.

ChieftheCef

Weedian Magnus
Read 'em and weep.

Thebes, dawg.

ChieftheCef

Weedian Magnus
Bedsides this when given the input "what does amun say to be like? what does he say not to do it writes "

Amun

Amun

Explore

Amun, the enigmatic Egyptian god, is a multifaceted deity with a rich tapestry of attributes and roles. Let’s explore what he embodies and the wisdom he imparts:
  1. Father of the Gods: Amun is hailed as the "Father of the gods"1. His divine lineage extends to many other deities, making him a central figure in the Egyptian pantheon.
  2. The Mysterious One: Amun’s nature is paradoxical. Sometimes, he manifests as a well-defined solar deity, while at other times, he remains hidden like the wind1. This duality allows the ancient Egyptians to associate him with various aspects of existence.
  3. Maker of Men: As a primordial deity, Amun played a role in the mysterious part of creation. His title “The Mysterious One” reflects this cosmic significance1.
  4. Lord of Truth: Amun embodies truth and justice. His presence is felt everywhere, even though he remains unseen like the wind. His oracles communicate divine will to humanity2.
  5. Protector and Helper: Amun swiftly comes to the aid of Egyptian kings on the battlefield and assists the poor and friendless2.
  6. Invisible and Forgiving: Unlike other gods, Amun doesn’t reside in a distant celestial realm. He is everywhere, yet unseen. His disposition is forgiving, even when humans falter3.
What Not to Do:
  • Do not underestimate his hidden power: Although unseen, Amun’s influence permeates existence.
  • Do not forget his role in creation: Acknowledge his primordial connection to the mysterious origins of life.
  • Do not disregard truth and justice: As the “Lord of truth”, Amun upholds cosmic order.
  • Do not neglect the poor and vulnerable: Amun responds to their cries.
  • Do not take forgiveness lightly: Despite our failings, Amun extends forgiveness. "
Look what I did with the internet today! Haha!

ChieftheCef

Weedian Magnus
No. Amun is Yamanu in Egyptian.

Words that sound the same in different languages are not always related. Amen is pronounced not nearly the same as Amun in Hebrew/Egyptian. They're completely unrealted.
Bing says no. Are we allowed to outright lie any lie we want to on YouTube?

Amun

Amun

Explore

Amun, also spelled Amon, Amoun, Amen, and sometimes Imen, is the name of a deity in Egyptian mythology. This multifaceted god originated in Thebes, which was part of the Upper Kingdom of classical Egypt. The literal meaning of his name is the “Hidden One”. Throughout Egyptian religious history, Amun played various roles, including that of a creator god, a fertility god, and a patron of human rulers12.
In an Egyptian context, Amun belonged to a belief system that developed in the Nile river basin from earliest prehistory to around 525 B.C.E.. The Egyptian gods were relatively ill-defined, representing specific elements of the natural world. Amun’s cult was localized, but his flexibility allowed for the development of multipartite cults, such as the cult of Amun-Re, which unified the domains of Amun and Re. During the New Kingdom period, when the Theban pharaohs unified Egypt, Amun became the subject of a national cult, eventually merging syncretically with Ra (as Amun-Ra). However, after the dissolution of the fragile alliance between North and South, Amun gradually faded into relative obscurity, overshadowed by the growing popularity of Osiris, Horus, and Isis1.
The Greek form of Amun’s name is Ἄμμων (Ammon), and in early Egyptian mythology, he was revered as a god of the air, creativity, and fertility. His influence was particularly strong in Thebes3. Thus, Amun remains a significant figure in the rich tapestry of ancient Egyptian beliefs and legends.