• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sikhism: Ask your questions

Monotheist 101

मैत्रावरुणिः;3414946 said:
Random, brother. Random.

Sleep deprivation does that to me..thats my cue..later guys..I enjoyed reading your responses and getting your side of the story firsthand as well..Ive got questions for my pro Mughal friends!!

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Sleep deprivation does that to me..thats my cue..later guys..I enjoyed reading your responses and getting your side of the story firsthand as well..Ive got questions for my pro Mughal friends!!

Namaste,

Hahaha. No problem, brother. Jai Shri Krishna! (a Gujarati way of saying goodnight in this situation/in this case) :)

M.V.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
something wonderfull from sikh net ...

showing that what one hold in the heart is more important than what one wears on ones head :)
images

Last edited:

nameless

The Creator
how did the Muslims manage to do all the raping and killing when they were a 20% minority without any significant political power over present day india..
you should add the population of pakistan and bangladesh to the 20% to get the actual muslim population before the partitioning, and also the muslim population were all concentrated in north india, the place where all these has happened, that makes a big difference.

Last edited:

chinu

chinu
Has the current version of Sikhism changed compared to time of the gurus..if so, how?
Similarly like the atmosphere/ambience of the classroom gets change when there's no teacher present in the classroom. Mostly Sikhs consider "SGGS" as guru/teacher, But imo.. its just like a classroom where book is kept on the table but there's no teacher in the classroom :)

Treks

Is there any recommended translation of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib?

Not really. Better approach is to compare translations.

Nikky Guninder Kaur Singh translated some significant shabads in her book The Name of my Beloved, like Japji Sahib, Sukhmani Sahib, shaloks of 9th mehla. Her translations are really cool because they're gender-neutral. Let me know by PM if you're interested in them and I might be able to show you a snippet.

One of the most common translations you'll find is by Dr Sant Singh Khalsa. It's the default translation at www.srigranth.org. It can become a bit confusing and appear contradictory when the translations regarding karma and reincarnation conflict with the urgency of our precious human lives, hukam and Grace. The alternate translation my Bhai Manhoman Singh is more literal word-for-word which is better but not very poetic! It's good to contrast them.

The best of course is to learn the language yourself. Meantime pick a translation that sounds nice to you (that's probably going to be the good Dr's) and use it, with caution, and don't stop learning behind the scenes. If something he's translatd doesn't make sense then dig deeper. The way I look at it, as long as you keep an awareness that translations are just that, you'll be OK with Dr Khalsa's or Bhai Manmohan Singh ji's.

IMHO.

Last edited:

GURSIKH

chardi kla
Now I understand why Sikhs are hating on Islam..

hello bro

m sorry if you experienced hate from any Sikh , anyone with hate can't be a good Sikh .
ਹਿੰਦੂ ਤੁਰਕ ਕੋਊ ਰਾਫਜੀ ਇਮਾਮ ਸਾਫੀ ਮਾਨਸ ਕੀ ਜਾਤਿ ਸਬੈ ਏਕੈ ਪਹਿਚਾਨਬੋ ॥
हिंदू तुरक कोऊ राफजी इमाम साफी मानस की जाति सबै एकै पहिचानबो ॥
Someone is Hindu and someone a Muslim, then someone is Shia, and someone a Sunni, but recognize all human race as one and the same.

ਦੇਹਰਾ ਮਸੀਤ ਸੋਈ ਪੂਜਾ ਔ ਨਿਵਾਜ ਓਈ ਮਾਨਸ ਸਬੈ ਏਕ ਪੈ ਅਨੇਕ ਕੋ ਭ੍ਰਮਾਉ ਹੈ ॥
देहरा मसीत सोई पूजा औ निवाज ओई मानस सबै एक पै अनेक को भ्रमाउ है ॥
The temple and the mosque are the same, there is no difference between a Hindu worship and Muslim prayer; all the human beings are the same, but the illusion is of various types.
Guru Gobind Singh ji

Last edited:

Treks

Illykitty ji it depends who you ask. *shrug* I'm from the camp of no reincarnation and no karma. If you're interested you can read the paper by Dr Baldev Singh I linked a few pages back, he explains it better than I ever could.

MV ji, my apologies. I will reword. I was a bit miffed when I wrote the post and chose poor words. What I really meant by 'nonsense' was that the sentences really don't make sense when Dr Khalsa Ji translates "karam" as "karma" and not "actions", for example, then goes on to talk about how nothing is in our control. It gets a bit contradictory in the translation.

Last edited:

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
MV, my apologies. I will reword. I was a bit miffed when I wrote the post and chose poor words.

Namaste,

Rubbish! You don't have to reword at all. This isn't an Abrahamic DIR...here we are very accepting of the various Dharmic approaches. Last time I checked, Sikhism is a Dharmic religion, is it not? Thus, don't worry about it, Treks-ji.

M.V.

Treks

No MV ji, I think you had a point, and I'm grateful to you for picking me up on my carelessness in such a gracious manner. :)

GURSIKH

chardi kla
मैत्रावरुणिः;3416399 said:
Namaste,

Rubbish! You don't have to reword at all. This isn't an Abrahamic DIR...here we are very accepting of the various Dharmic approaches. Last time I checked, Sikhism is a Dharmic religion, is it not? Thus, don't worry about it, Treks-ji.

M.V.

ya , Sikhi s stand is Dharmic ,sure . new thread for better understanding might be good idea , we can discuss it in the light of Gurbani .

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Illykitty ji it depends who you ask. *shrug* I'm from the camp of no reincarnation and no karma. If you're interested you can read the paper by Dr Baldev Singh I linked a few pages back, he explains it better than I ever could.
What do you believe happens post death of the body, if anything? :)

And link to the paper? :D