• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simplified argument vs free will

Koldo

Outstanding Member
You could want both the pie and cake due to extreme want.

Okay, eating both is also possible and acceptable for my argument.
With this in mind, I will change my questions:

To exemplify, if you are presented with a choice to make between pie and/or cake ( or eating both ), and you don't want to choose between pie and/or cake or both, what event other than choosing none could possibly happen? Wouldn't choosing none and not choosing bring about the same state of affairs? If yes, wouldn't it be correct to say that at least for practical use, choosing none and not choosing are the same in this situation?

What if you want the cake but you choose not to want it?

Then your 'want' to eat it was lower than your 'want' to not eat it.
This is better explained by saying that whenever there is a conflict between 'wants' we always choose based on our highest ranked want.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
If you want neither, then "neither" becomes a third option to choose. Wants lead to choice.

But if you simply don't decide--it's called withholding--then you no choice occurs.

Once you are aware of the cake you have to make a decision about it. Only if you are unaware of the cake does a decision not need to be made. Once presented with the information/stimulus you have to decide what to do with it.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
If you want neither, then "neither" becomes a third option to choose. Wants lead to choice.

But if you simply don't decide--it's called withholding--then you no choice occurs.

If my argument is that every conscious action/choice requires a want, then it follows that it is impossible to 'withhold' such as you mean to say it, because 'withholding' requires a want.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Once you are aware of the cake you have to make a decision about it. Only if you are unaware of the cake does a decision not need to be made. Once presented with the information/stimulus you have to decide what to do with it.
You have to have a belief about it. You're talking about belief.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
If my argument is that every conscious action/choice requires a want, then it follows that it is impossible to 'withhold' such as you mean to say it, because 'withholding' requires a want.
Let's say two options face you: A and B.

Then I inform you that A is XYZ, while B is ZYX.

Where do your wants lie?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

You are explaining these things well enough. Maybe I'm just confusing things?

The concepts are easy enough to grasp so I'm motivated to put my 2 cents in.

However I hope I'm not derailing the conversation by it.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Where do your wants lie?

You have to decide what to do about the information.
If ignore then then you have to want to ignore it.

Or you can decide to file it away for reference.

Like I tell you my cat's name is Toby. What do you do with that information now that you have it.

You can decide to do other then the scenario provided. But it is still a decision with a want driving it.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
You are explaining these things well enough. Maybe I'm just confusing things?

The concepts are easy enough to grasp so I'm motivated to put my 2 cents in.

However I hope I'm not derailing the conversation by it.
The image of 'a belief' as a decision or choice isn't a bad one. At its heart, a belief is a proposition: a subject and a predicate. The predicate says something about the subject, and in order to say something about it, you must have "decided" something about it.

But when we talk about wants leading to choices, I think we're talking about another image.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

Where do your wants lie?

I want none because XYZ and ZYX are meaningless to me.
Can you tell me what are 'XYZ' and 'ZYX' so i can say whether i, in fact, will want one of them?

idav

Being
Premium Member
Then your 'want' to eat it was lower than your 'want' to not eat it.
This is better explained by saying that whenever there is a conflict between 'wants' we always choose based on our highest ranked want.
How can a person not 'want' to eat?

Lets say the answer were a yes or no, 1 or 0, another possible answer is null. Null is neither a yes or a no so it isn't a want.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What? :sarcastic
I didn't refuse to choose.
Withholding isn't a refusal to choose at all, but holding back choice until you can make a choice. Until you can, no choice (between A and B) is made.

Until you can, the conditions for you to choose (or even want) are not in place.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Withholding isn't a refusal to choose at all, but holding back choice until you can make a choice. Until you can, no choice (between A and B) is made.

Until you can, the conditions for you to choose (or even want) are not in place.

But i did chose to ask you what are the meanings of those terms, because that is what i wanted to.
This is in itself an alternative to choosing between XYZ and ZYX ( that still involves a want ).

idav

Being
Premium Member
How did you come to the conclusion that something that is neither 1 nor 0 isn't a want?
You could ask someone to choose a or b and then they could turn around and tell us to effe off. Not answering is neither a yes or no so it is a null, not a want.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
You could ask someone to choose a or b and then they could turn around and tell us to effe off. Not answering is neither a yes or no so it is a null, not a want.

If i ask someone to choose a or b and then they turn around and tell me to effe off, they chose to tell me to effe off because they wanted to. Their selected option was still based on their want. Wasn't it you who said there are alternatives to a and b?