• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sixteen Crazy But Curious Questions About Enlightened People!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Just out of curiosity, here are sixteen off-beat, crazy questions about what an enlightened person might do. Feel free to explain your answers because that might start a discussion.

(1) Do you think an enlightened person would likely express contempt for people who were behaving foolishly?

(2) Does it make sense to you that an enlightened person would likely tell people he or she was enlightened?

(3) If an enlightened person saw a bit of trash on the sidewalk, and was not pressed for time, would he or she likely pick it up to throw in the trash bin? What's your best guess?

(4) If you happened to be speaking to an enlightened person, do you think he or she would likely pay unusually close attention to what you were saying?

(5) Would an enlightened person likely make casual or idle comparisons between one person and another?

(6) Would an enlightened person likely make you feel he or she thought you were unique or special?

(7) Would an enlightened person likely be curious about you?

(8) Would an enlightened person's home likely be clean and tidy?

(9) Do you think an enlightened person would usually or habitually eat his or her food with condiments?

(10) Would an enlightened person likely jump or start if you made a sudden noise behind him or her?

(11) Would an enlightened person likely notice if he or she were in a large room and a door was very quietly opened at the far end of the room?

(12) Would an enlightened person likely be bored?

(13) Would an enlightened person likely masturbate?

(14) If an enlightened person thanked you for complimenting them would they likely thank you because the compliment was important to them or because it was important to you?

(15) Would an enlightened person likely be curious about the fact that only one of these questions explicitly asks the reader to make a guess?

(16) Would an enlightened person likely idealize enlightened people?

Have fun! And please don't take these questions too seriously! :D

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Just for fun, here are some off-beat, crazy questions about what an enlightened one might do. To keep this fun, let's have no answers along the lines that some enlightened ones would do these things, while others would not! That's just too grim!

Do you think an enlightened person would likely express contempt for people who were behaving foolishly?

Does it make sense to you that an enlightened person would likely tell people he or she was enlightened?

If an enlightened person saw a bit of trash on the sidewalk, and was not pressed for time, would he or she likely pick it up to throw in the trash bin? What's your best guess?

If you happened to be speaking to an enlightened person, do you think he or she would likely pay unusually close attention to what you were saying?

Would an enlightened person likely make casual comparisons between one person and another?

Would an enlightened person likely make you feel he or she thought you were unique or special?

Would an enlightened person likely be curious about you?

Would an enlightened person's home likely be clean and tidy?

Do you think an enlightened person would usually or habitually eat his or her food with condiments?

Would an enlightened person likely be bored?

Have fun! :D

No.
No.
Yes.
Yes.
No.
Yes.
Yes.
Uhh...define 'clean and tidy'.
Absolutely.
No.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It's too early in this thread to tell, but I wonder if there's more of a consensus about what enlightened people are than I suspected!

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Uhh...define 'clean and tidy'.

Do you think it likely there would be much trash lying around, crumbs all over the dining room table, dirty dishes, a general disorder to the home's furnishings?

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Just for fun, here are some off-beat, crazy questions about what an enlightened one might do. Feel free to explain your answers because that might start a fun discussion.

For clarity, i'm not defining enlightened here as some religious or spiritual man/woman with exceptional abilities or attributes. Rather just a particularly extremely wise and very knowledgeable person.

(1) Do you think an enlightened person would likely express contempt for people who were behaving foolishly?

Very unlikely.

(2) Does it make sense to you that an enlightened person would likely tell people he or she was enlightened?

Not likely, but possible in some contexts. It's okay to identify one's own knowledge and wisdom, i don't particularly place humbleness as a requirement, especially false humbleness, but most of the time, i don't think such a person would talk about that. And if he/she does, i think they most likely would not use the word enlightened to describe themselves.

(3) If an enlightened person saw a bit of trash on the sidewalk, and was not pressed for time, would he or she likely pick it up to throw in the trash bin? What's your best guess?

Very likely.

(4) If you happened to be speaking to an enlightened person, do you think he or she would likely pay unusually close attention to what you were saying?

Yes, but not always, naturally. They'd just be generally better at doing that than most other people.

(5) Would an enlightened person likely make casual comparisons between one person and another?

I don't see why not. Though admittedly i'm not sure i see what's precisely intended by the words casual comparisons. If in the sense of being judgmental or dismissive of people, then no, that's very unlikely.

(6) Would an enlightened person likely make you feel he or she thought you were unique or special?

Yes, but not always, and not necessarily all people.

More likely than not, and on the general scale, very likely.

Yes, that's likely.

(9) Do you think an enlightened person would usually or habitually eat his or her food with condiments?

Just depends on his taste and financial condition (which isn't needed to be much). Actually, if someone places high importance in regards to not doing the above, i'd be affected greatly to move towards thinking that they're not enlightened.

That is, if it's a general approach. I make a distinction between temporary states of all kinds, which some people might like to try or go through to learn certain things, and between what i perceive as misplaced judgements in relation to what an enlightened person's life is supposed to be like in general.

(10) Would an enlightened person likely jump or start if you made a sudden noise behind him or her?

They could, but generally, i think they'll tend to have a less severe response than most people, and in many cases not be startled at all. Not because of any thing other than the fact that i think most of the time, these people tend to be very calm and collected. But not always, it's not a necessity.

(11) Would an enlightened person likely notice if he or she were in a large room and a door was very quietly opened at the far end of the room?

Not necessarily at all.

Of course, but not necessarily more or less than any other person would. And it depends on where they're at in their lives.

If they wanted to, needed to, and refrained in general because they thought they shouldn't on account of it being wrong, unbeneficial or degrading to them, that would be a serious blow to any possibility of me considering them enlightened in any sense.

(14) If an enlightened person thanked you for complimenting them would they likely thank you because the compliment was important to them or because it was important to you?

Being enlightened in my view has nothing to do with appreciating kind words from others as well as the reflections these words have on you. Taking pleasure from such things does not affect my view of the person's knowledge and wisdom.

(15) Would an enlightened person likely be curious about the fact that only one of these questions explicitly asks the reader to make a guess?

Not necessarily, but it would most likely at least catch their attention. Normally, that is.

Unlikely but possible in many contexts.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

No. For one thing, contempt is a powerful mental poison. For another, expressing it is rarely constructive.

Perhaps under very unusual, very rare circunstances. Generally no, only con men would clain to be enlightened.

Of course he would. It is almost a test of the ability to keep a stable mind, even.

I would like to think so. But it is probably just wishful thinking, although I suppose there are a few with such a talent.

(5) Would an enlightened person likely make casual comparisons between one person and another?

Most certainly. As should everyone.

If he or she were of the kind that reached the level of realizing the need to awake others, you mean? If so, then yes, doubtlessly. We all are, after all.

No idea. It would depend a lot on the circunstances, I must assume.

It really depends on the circunstances of the world around him or her, and to a lesser degree on the vocations of that enlightened person. Among other factors, how often does that person even live in there?

A few might not.

Many if not most would, if for no other reason because having shared experiences is very useful to establish meaningful relationships with others, and a sufficiently enlightened person feels a powerful drive towards communicating meaningfully with others.

Good question. I really don't know.

Generally not. I believe a certain variety would.

Not usually. Part of being enlightened - or perhaps of learning to remain so - seems to be a certain kind of mastery of keeping interested and motivated.

Beats me.

Yes. As in, both.

Anyone who has had any significant experience teaching others (which I assume to include enlightened people) can appreciate that compliments are important to both parties and should be recognized as such.

I have a hunch they wouldn't even notice.

Maybe they wouldn't even have such a concept.

just out of curiosity, here are sixteen off-beat, crazy questions about what an enlightened person might do. Feel free to explain your answers because that might start a discussion.

(1) do you think an enlightened person would likely express contempt for people who were behaving foolishly?jesus went into the temple threw a fit and turned over the money changers tables. Moses destroyed idols. Contempt, eh. Throw a fit and break stuff? Apparently.

(2) does it make sense to you that an enlightened person would likely tell people he or she was enlightened?

would it matter if they did or not? Usually it is other people that say the person is enlightened. Then again they could do it telepathically so sure, yes. They would tell your soul and your ego would have to deal with it.

(3) if an enlightened person saw a bit of trash on the sidewalk, and was not pressed for time, would he or she likely pick it up to throw in the trash bin? What's your best guess?

an enlightened person may not see a difference in the trash, the sidewalk, and them self.

Is the trash plastic or a banana peel?

My guess is enlightened people recycle because they dont want to **** on mother earth and kill animals like many people.

(4) if you happened to be speaking to an enlightened person, do you think he or she would likely pay unusually close attention to what you were saying?
that would depend on what the person is saying. They would probably be paying attention to much more important things about you than what you are saying. Like your aura or they would likely just know your presence.

(5) would an enlightened person likely make casual comparisons between one person and another?

it is an easy way to explain things. Could start some good parables that way...

(6) would an enlightened person likely make you feel he or she thought you were unique or special?

everyone is unique and special. Generally people see in others what they see in themselves. This makes my mind go down the path of "why doesn't god just make everyone good?" they would likely tell you. People don't feel much now a days it seems anyway.

(7) would an enlightened person likely be curious about you?

an enlightened person would likely know more about you than you do about yourself.

(8) would an enlightened person's home likely be clean and tidy?

many historical enlightened people had no home at all. But at the time of enlightenment , yes.

(9) do you think an enlightened person would usually or habitually eat his or her food with condiments?

this question is irrelevant. There are gurus that don't eat hardly at all. Happy fat buddha looks like he had plenty of peanut sauce with his spring rolls.

(10) would an enlightened person likely jump or start if you made a sudden noise behind him or her?

people are animals with a startle response. I wonder if people play this kind of joke on the dalai lama....

(11) would an enlightened person likely notice if he or she were in a large room and a door was very quietly opened at the far end of the room?

would you? It is the senses that are not even widely accepted to exist that enlightened people have. Maybe to an enlightened person the door and room do not exist.

(12) would an enlightened person likely be bored?
never.

(13) would an enlightened person likely masturbate?
this question is so wrong. And....tantra....kama sutra. How is the enlightened persons root chakra? Maybe they need to be grounded in the body so they don't spontaneously ascend!

(14) if an enlightened person thanked you for complimenting them would they likely thank you because the compliment was important to them or because it was important to you?

neither. They would be thankful a complimentary person is speaking.

(15) would an enlightened person likely be curious about the fact that only one of these questions explicitly asks the reader to make a guess?
no

(16) would an enlightened person likely idealize enlightened people?
Idealize, no. Do you idealize your family? Would you idealize your past lives or reincarnations? They would look at enlightened people like cousins i suppose.

Have fun! And please don't take these questions too seriously! :d

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
For clarity, i'm not defining enlightened here as some religious or spiritual man/woman with exceptional abilities or attributes. Rather just a particularly extremely wise and very knowledgeable person.

Thanks for the qualification!

Not likely, but possible in some contexts. It's okay to identify one's own knowledge and wisdom, i don't particularly place humbleness as a requirement, especially false humbleness, but most of the time, i don't think such a person would talk about that. And if he/she does, i think they most likely would not use the word enlightened to describe themselves.
I think those are illuminating points. At least, they've helped me understand.

Yes, but not always, naturally. They'd just be generally better at doing that than most other people.
You might be interest in this. I once met someone who impressed me as like no other person I'd met before. That sounds a bit too dramatic, but I can't at the moment think of a better way of putting it. Now, I am certain this person did not consider herself enlightened. However, she struck me as not merely better than average at paying attention to people, but as simply the most attentive person I'd known. She had many other strange qualities, too. So I asked her what her secret was. She told me to find a meditative technique.

I don't see why not. Though admittedly i'm not sure i see what's precisely intended by the words casual comparisons. If in the sense of being judgmental or dismissive of people, then no, that's very unlikely.
By "casual" I meant comparisons that served no obvious or pointed purpose. Idle comparisons, if you will.

Just depends on his taste and financial condition (which isn't needed to be much). Actually, if someone places high importance in regards to not doing the above, i'd be affected greatly to move towards thinking that they're not enlightened.

That is, if it's a general approach. I make a distinction between temporary states of all kinds, which might like to try or go through to learn certain things, and between what i perceive as misplaced judgement in relation to what an enlightened person's life is supposed to be like in general.
Here's a funny story for you, Badran. I was at university taking a course in Hinduism. My professor was someone I was mildly suspicious of because he had a lot of hippie like qualities, and I thought such qualities suspect back then. But I somehow managed to sense he was authentic -- that is, true to himself -- and I respected that much about him. At any rate, one of the class assignments was to write a paper on a chapter of the Gita.

I submitted my paper on the second chapter. A couple weeks went by when something totally unexpected happened. I got a letter from him thanking me for submitting the paper and expressing his opinion that it was as profound as anything he'd ever read on the Gita, both "published or unpublished".

Perhaps you can imagine how full of myself I was after that! When I walked to school next day, you could hear my ego clanging louder than my footsteps. I would have been the funniest sight on campus to anyone who could have seen into me. "My paper is profound. I'm profound. Look at me, everyone! I'm profound!"

But that all came to an abrupt end the next time I was in class with him. For, you see, he asked me two or three questions. One of them was the question about condiments that I just asked. And, as I stumbled over myself trying to answer those questions, he seemed to me disappointed. But not because, I think, he was disappointed in me. Rather -- I thought I sensed -- his disappointment stemmed from the fact he was looking for someone he could share things with. Someone on the same wavelength as him. That is, he was looking for a friend!

They could, but generally, i think they'll tend to have a less severe response than most people, and in many cases not be startled at all. Not because of any thing other than the fact that i think most of the time, these people tend to be very calm and collected. But not always, it's not a necessity.
A scientific study of Zen monks once found that when they were meditating, at least, they were not easily startled by sudden noises. In fact, I don't recall any of them were at all startled. But the study didn't say what the same monks did when they were not meditating.

Not necessarily at all.
The same experimenters found that the same monks were able to notice a door quietly opening behind them across a large room from them.

Of course, but not necessarily more or less than any other person would. And it depends on where they're at in their lives.
My guess is they'd be less bored than most of us. But I think your guess is as good as mine.

If they wanted to, needed to, and refrained in general because they thought they shouldn't on account of it being wrong, unbeneficial or degrading to them, that would be a serious blow to any possibility of me considering them enlightened in any sense.
Thanks! Your answer makes sense to me of that issue.

Being enlightened in my view has nothing to do with appreciating kind words from others as well as the reflections these words have on you. Taking pleasure from such things does not affect my view of the person's knowledge and wisdom.
Just out of curiosity, what would you think if you knew for certain that enlightened people were more likely to say, "Thank you! That's very nice of you to say that" and similar things mainly because they sensed your compliments were important you and they were so extraordinarily sensitive to you that they didn't want to in any way demean your effort to compliment them? What would you think of that?

Thank you! :)

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond
Just out of curiosity, here are sixteen off-beat, crazy questions about what an enlightened person might do. Feel free to explain your answers because that might start a discussion.

I'm drunk. I didn't read the thread, but this looks like a fun quiz, so I'm just going to jump in, balls out.

Nope.

Nope.

Depends on her nature. Some would let it go to accept the world as it is, others would tidy it up to create the world that should be.

If I were talking to an enlightened person, I would be paying unusually close attention to what she was saying.

(5) Would an enlightened person likely make casual or idle comparisons between one person and another?

No.

No.

Possibly. I would like to think so.

Depends on their nature. If I were (more) enlightened, sometimes my home would be tidy and sometimes it wouldn't, and I would not necessarily prefer one state to the other.

Depends on their nature. (That's Taoism for you). If I were enlightened, I would generally prefer unprocessed, whole, natural food.

No.

There are a lot of factors, but it is more likely that an "enlightened" person will notice such a thing than someone who is bogged down in incessant, self-obsessed thinking.

It's very difficult to be bored. You have to work at it.

I will let you know!

At the risk of being repetitive, it depends on their nature. If they thanked me because they thought it was important to me, I'd be annoyed.

Eh, wot? I was guessing for all of them. (Or speaking from experience. You decide! ;))

An enlightened person would not even believe in enlightened people, let alone idealize them.

Have fun! And please don't take these questions too seriously! :D

Mission accomplished!

Me Myself

Back to my username
Disclaimer: dont take my answers too seriously either.

Here we go:

I dont think they could contempt, but maybe they could act as if they were experiencing it to teach someone else a lesson or as some sort of game.

I think the person may or may not. I dont think either telling or not telling is intrinsically more likely or less likely on an enlightened person.

My best guess is maybe :D

I think they would pay as much attention as they felt like paying. If for some reason I was for sure the person was enlightened, I would probably be paying very close attention to this person.

if this person talks and is interested in people, then probably.

I think an enlightened person would make me feel the world and everything in it is special, including me.

I would think enlightened people may be curious in general.

I think not :D

NO idea.

I think probably not, but maybe they would and then alugh about it. Maybe they would just to eff with my expectations of them not doing so. I dont know

I think it would be more likely that with unenlightened people, yes.

I dont think an enlightened person could be bored. Maybe be a bit less amused than usual, but not bored.

I assume some do.

Maybe its just an habit from unenlightened selves that they didnt care to break. Maybe they felt silence would strike me as rude.

Maybe the compliment would be enjoyed but I am sure the lack of it wouldnt be missed.

dk but I was :D

I doubt so unless she did it as a game.

apophenia

Just say no to boy-scout committee-designed lowest common demoninator everyman feel-good syncretic enlightenment propositions.

******* BS.

Designer 'Shree Barbie and Ken'. A Philip K Dick joke/nightmare.

* &^$&%#^%$ ! *

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You might be interest in this. I once met someone who impressed me as like no other person I'd met before. That sounds a bit too dramatic, but I can't at the moment think of a better way of putting it. Now, I am certain this person did not consider herself enlightened. However, she struck me as not merely better than average at paying attention to people, but as simply the most attentive person I'd known. She had many other strange qualities, too. So I asked her what her secret was. She told me to find a meditative technique.

I kind of consider meditation to be a given, in terms of being a useful practice. I never actually tried it, but it seems so natural to me that i tend to take the idea for granted. I think though that i view it in different and most likely simpler ways than you would. Which while in part would be natural given the fact that i never tried it, is also i believe related to why we would each meditate in the first place. As in, our motives for trying meditation.

For instance, reading your story, i have no doubts that meditation is not by far the only or the most important factor contributing to this woman becoming that way. The way i see it, her life experiences as well as her personal make up are what's responsible, including the experience of meditation, which is just part of a bigger picture. I'd consider meditation to be something that helped her get to where she's at, a tool, perhaps even a crucial tool, and a reason among the reasons which helped her achieve this level of clarity and functioning. But that level would not be reached if it were not for a whole other set of experiences as well as attributes she personally possesses.

Now, none of what you said actually goes against any of that, but i just suspect that you probably view it differently to the way i do, and as such i'm interested in sharing with you my supposedly differing perspective.

By "casual" I meant comparisons that served no obvious or pointed purpose. Idle comparisons, if you will.

If i'm understanding correctly (and i suspect that i'm not), i can see contexts in which such a comparison would be made without subtracting in anyway from the person's supposed enlightenment. For instance, if they're made in a joking manner. Or if the person is intentionally being silly.

As it's probably becoming clear, my view of enlightenment doesn't include in anyway the necessity of the person having this 'unattached' touch to them. That's not what enlightenment is about for me. An enlightened person can be that way, but that's not necessary. Reason being that this state of mind in my view is only relevant and beneficial in certain contexts and for certain purposes. But generally, i don't think it should be aimed for. In fact, and in regards to what i'm aiming for with my life at this point, it is for the most part a kind of expression of enlightenment that is out of my sight. As in, i would never aim for such state.

Of course, it might be also becoming clear that enlightenment for me is not defined as reaching a certain outlook on life, rather it's the clarity based upon which one would deal with their situation in life, which could be done in more than one way.

Here's a funny story for you, Badran. I was at university taking a course in Hinduism. My professor was someone I was mildly suspicious of because he had a lot of hippie like qualities, and I thought such qualities suspect back then. But I somehow managed to sense he was authentic -- that is, true to himself -- and I respected that much about him. At any rate, one of the class assignments was to write a paper on a chapter of the Gita.

I submitted my paper on the second chapter. A couple weeks went by when something totally unexpected happened. I got a letter from him thanking me for submitting the paper and expressing his opinion that it was as profound as anything he'd ever read on the Gita, both "published or unpublished".

Perhaps you can imagine how full of myself I was after that! When I walked to school next day, you could hear my ego clanging louder than my footsteps. I would have been the funniest sight on campus to anyone who could have seen into me. "My paper is profound. I'm profound. Look at me, everyone! I'm profound!"

But that all came to an abrupt end the next time I was in class with him. For, you see, he asked me two or three questions. One of them was the question about condiments that I just asked. And, as I stumbled over myself trying to answer those questions, he seemed to me disappointed. But not because, I think, he was disappointed in me. Rather -- I thought I sensed -- his disappointment stemmed from the fact he was looking for someone he could share things with. Someone on the same wavelength as him. That is, he was looking for a friend!

My first thought is that he shouldn't have concluded much based on that. Sometimes when we're put on the spot and infront of people we don't express our thoughts properly, especially if it's regarding questions we've never thought about well before, or haven't really reached the phase where we can word our thoughts about them properly. Though i can see how he might get disappointed if he had built a rather excessively grand picture in his mind, and especially if he really needed that.

A scientific study of Zen monks once found that when they were meditating, at least, they were not easily startled by sudden noises. In fact, I don't recall any of them were at all startled. But the study didn't say what the same monks did when they were not meditating.

The same experimenters found that the same monks were able to notice a door quietly opening behind them across a large room from them.

I'm not surprised, that's actually what i'd expect from those test subjects.

For clarification, i'd consider such reactions possible to come from an enlightened person, but besides what i clarified about it not being a necessity, i also would not consider the mere presence of these attributes as a serious indicator of enlightenment. Zen monks or anybody else, given what enlightenment revolves around in my mind. Having such reactions on it's own would suggest certain things, but i wouldn't consider that to entail or necessitate enlightenment.

And to further clarify on each of those attributes, the first of the two, regarding the calmness idea, is based on observations that i have had about people who i've deemed pretty close to being labeled with the word enlightened. It's also more related to the core of the idea of enlightenment as i define it, in that it's more beneficial. The second one however (regarding hearing the door) seems much less necessary because such keen sense is not really as much beneficial or helpful in reaching high levels of knowledge and wisdom. It could be helpful, but in a much less crucial sense than the first one, and i have not personally observed it as much. So overall, it seemed much less related and almost irrelevant.

Just out of curiosity, what would you think if you knew for certain that enlightened people were more likely to say, "Thank you! That's very nice of you to say that" and similar things mainly because they sensed your compliments were important you and they were so extraordinarily sensitive to you that they didn't want to in any way demean your effort to compliment them? What would you think of that?

A mixture of different things:

1) Sometimes when we compliment people, it really is more about us than it is about them. As such, even if i get insulted (which is likely) by realizing that they think it's important to me, i'll be understanding of why they might consider it important to me. Which is because it actually is sometimes, even if in that particular case it was actually the other way around (more about them than about me).

2) On another front, i'll probably also feel insulted that my words didn't mean much or anything to them (regardless of what it meant to me and/or what they think it meant to me). Perhaps even threatened by what i would definitely and baselessly label as arrogance then. :D

3) I'd also feel sad for them, but would be curious to use the opportunity and understand precisely why they are unaffected by compliments. I'll have guesses, but it's better to look further and possibly gain decent knowledge about that mentality, even if it's gonna require me to do things i'm very uncomfortable with.

4) On the long run, i'll have to make sure i'm not around such a person for like years or anything close to that, though. For practical reasons, nothing else. I could really use not having that kind of person around me at this point in my life.

Last edited: