• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sixteen Crazy But Curious Questions About Enlightened People!

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Just out of curiosity, here are sixteen off-beat, crazy questions about what an enlightened person might do. Feel free to explain your answers because that might start a discussion.

Solid. I'm stealing Badran's definition of 'enlightened'. I think it was a wise and extremely knowledgeable definition.

(1) Do you think an enlightened person would likely express contempt for people who were behaving foolishly?

Yes, but not for the sake of it. It would be for educational purposes to either the fool, or the neutral audience (so to speak) and would be framed in such a manner. Grandstanding, petty point scoring, or trying to prove 'I'm right, you're wrong' are not part of an enlightened person's modus operandi.

(2) Does it make sense to you that an enlightened person would likely tell people he or she was enlightened?

Nup. An enlightened person realises they will never be completely enlightened. It is simply a subjective comparison. In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

(3) If an enlightened person saw a bit of trash on the sidewalk, and was not pressed for time, would he or she likely pick it up to throw in the trash bin? What's your best guess?

Sure. Why not? But I wouldn't see it as defining them as enlightened or not, regardless of action.

(4) If you happened to be speaking to an enlightened person, do you think he or she would likely pay unusually close attention to what you were saying?

To what I was saying? Possibly not. They're likely capable of realising most of what I talk is complete crap. But I think they would pay attention if there was any danger of me raising a coherent point.

(5) Would an enlightened person likely make casual or idle comparisons between one person and another?

No.

(6) Would an enlightened person likely make you feel he or she thought you were unique or special?

Perhaps. Not deliberately though. But my guess is that the mere fact an enlightened person is paying attention to you, and the manner in which they interact would somewhat make you feel special or unique.

(7) Would an enlightened person likely be curious about you?

Sure. The only thing I'm unsure about is whether it would be a clinical curiosity (what must have occurred to make him like THAT) or on a more equal footing.

(8) Would an enlightened person's home likely be clean and tidy?

Possibly. I think the cleanliness thing is more definite. Tidy seems less likely or important to me.

(9) Do you think an enlightened person would usually or habitually eat his or her food with condiments?

Is bacon a condiment? If so, yes.

(10) Would an enlightened person likely jump or start if you made a sudden noise behind him or her?

Yes. They're enlightened, not inhuman.

(11) Would an enlightened person likely notice if he or she were in a large room and a door was very quietly opened at the far end of the room?

Yes...assuming they are watching the door.

(12) Would an enlightened person likely be bored?

By this quiz? Not so far...

(13) Would an enlightened person likely masturbate?

Whilst answering this quiz? Not so far...

(14) If an enlightened person thanked you for complimenting them would they likely thank you because the compliment was important to them or because it was important to you?

To reinforce behaviour. Enlightened people can be cynical.

(15) Would an enlightened person likely be curious about the fact that only one of these questions explicitly asks the reader to make a guess?

Only to the degree that they'd try to determine what it meant about you and your motivations/worldview.

(16) Would an enlightened person likely idealize enlightened people?

Hmmm...at some point. People aren't born enlightened, so I would hazard a guess that the path to enlightenment would be littered with various mentors or heros. As they became more enlightened, I would guess (as with question 2) that their view of enlightenment would change, and their view of enlightenment would move to a more subjective understanding.

Have fun! And please don't take these questions too seriously! :D

Now you tell me. In that case, please assume my answers were hilariously ironic.

Last edited:

maxfreakout

Enlightenment has absolutely nothing to do with mundane ethics/conduct of life, therefore to all the questions (except perhaps the last one), the answer would be no different to if the same question was asked of an unenlightened person.

Enlightenment is about a person's mental model/tacit assumptions about reality

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Just say no to boy-scout committee-designed lowest common demoninator everyman feel-good syncretic enlightenment propositions.

******* BS.

Designer 'Shree Barbie and Ken'. A Philip K Dick joke/nightmare.

* &^$&%#^%$ !*

Just out of curiosity, do you think people will take the questions too seriously, Aophenia?

maxfreakout

Do you think the questions were seriously about ethics and/or "conduct of life" then?

yes, all but the last one are about "what an enlightened person would do", or "would an enlightened person do x - yes or no?" - ie personal conduct of life/mundane ethics

in that regard, enlightened people are mostly indistinguishable from unenlightened people

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
yes, all but the last one are about "what an enlightened person would do", or "would an enlightened person do x - yes or no?" - ie personal conduct of life/mundane ethics

in that regard, enlightened people are mostly indistinguishable from unenlightened people

Why do you think so? And how could one distinguish them if it is so?

AmbiguousGuy

Why do you think so? And how could one distinguish them if it is so?

As usual, I see language as trying to fool us again. Since we have the word 'enlightened', we tend to think there are enlightened people and unenlightened people.

It's like the theism/atheism thing.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Thanks for an opportunity to discuss a point that interests me!

So do you think enlightened people likely experience a disconnect between how they perceive or see the world and how they behave?

Or would it be more correct to say that, in that regard, enlightened people are indistinguishable from unenlightened people?

If you think that it is at all unlikely that an enlightened person would experience a disconnect, then would you be willing to speculate that it might be enlightened people are relatively unlikely to experience a disconnect between how they perceive or see the world and how they behave because, in part, they are not attempting to behave according to some code of ethics, nor according to some notion of how to properly conduct their lives, but are instead significantly more inclined to behave spontaneously, but in line with how they perceive or see the world?

I'm curious how that question might be answered.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Just out of curiosity, here are sixteen off-beat, crazy questions about what an enlightened person might do. Feel free to explain your answers because that might start a discussion.
Though I no longer rely on the concept of enlightenment, I think I might be able to answer your questions from the viewpoints outlined in the doctrine of Creaturehood.

(1) Do you think an enlightened person would likely express contempt for people who were behaving foolishly?
Not for someone acting foolishly, no. If they were acting in a manner that warranted contempt, that's a whole different situation. In that case, then possibly, yes. It would be a mood thing.

(2) Does it make sense to you that an enlightened person would likely tell people he or she was enlightened?
They might at first, but they quickly learn not to admit it or even allude to it. The wise ones are in stealth mode.

(3) If an enlightened person saw a bit of trash on the sidewalk, and was not pressed for time, would he or she likely pick it up to throw in the trash bin? What's your best guess?
It is likely they would, if it was convenient. Again, it is a bit of a mood thing. They may just look down and think, "Ah, Trash..."

(4) If you happened to be speaking to an enlightened person, do you think he or she would likely pay unusually close attention to what you were saying?
For the most part, yes - very closely indeed. How long they attentively listened is quite another thing based on the content of the conversation however.

(5) Would an enlightened person likely make casual or idle comparisons between one person and another?
Depending on the circumstances, I don't see why not. It might provide an interesting segue into a perfectly valid point.

(6) Would an enlightened person likely make you feel he or she thought you were unique or special?
In most cases, I'd think so. Perhaps not special, but they would perhaps reinforce the uniqueness of every individual.

You would have to ask them. :)

Well ordered perhaps as they are in harmony with their world, as it were.

(9) Do you think an enlightened person would usually or habitually eat his or her food with condiments?
o.O I'd assume it would be to his or her or it's personal tastes, Phil.

(10) Would an enlightened person likely jump or start if you made a sudden noise behind him or her?
Not likely, as legend has it that they are very aware individuals, so you may have difficulty sneaking up on them. Not to say said person could not be startled just like any other human animal, but it is less likely due to the enhanced awareness of their surroundings.

(11) Would an enlightened person likely notice if he or she were in a large room and a door was very quietly opened at the far end of the room?
Probably. Legend has it that they don't miss much.

Sure, but it is unlikely they would stay bored for very long.

Why wouldn't they? They are still human animals.

(14) If an enlightened person thanked you for complimenting them would they likely thank you because the compliment was important to them or because it was important to you?
The latter of the two, since they are a bit beyond needing their ego stroked.

(15) Would an enlightened person likely be curious about the fact that only one of these questions explicitly asks the reader to make a guess?
No doubt they would be closely analysing the entire thing looking for meaning and intent.

I doubt it.

Have fun! And please don't take these questions too seriously! :D
Oh come now, Phil, do people actually take things on RF seriously?

Last edited:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I think if the results of enlightenment were so simple, predictable, and consistent, that it would no longer be enlightenment.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
For clarity, i'm not defining enlightened here as some religious or spiritual man/woman with exceptional abilities or attributes. Rather just a particularly extremely wise and very knowledgeable person.

By the way, I'm under the impression that enlightened people are frequently mythologized. For instance, it seems common enough to claim for them an ability to walk on water. At least, in some cultures.

When I read things like that, I wonder what could be the meaning or purpose of saying such things? Is it as simple as the authors of those claims intend "walking on water", etc, to be taken by us as evidence that someone was enlightened? Or is there, as there is with so much myth, a poetic meaning to such claims? That is, a poetic way of describing an actual trait or attribute? Jung might have known, but I certainly don't. Do you have an opinion about it?

Last edited:

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

Not express it directly, but they'd express it through small bits of metaphors that you have to look deeply to understand.

Maybe, if asked.

I don't think so. They'd understand that it's the order of things, and my idea of an enlightened person is sort of like a ghost - they put themselves aside of the order of things at the best they can.

Either they would because they are better with observation, or they wouldn't because they needn't know what someone non-enlightened is saying, or they already know what I am saying.

An enlightened person probably views most casual people as the same or similar in a sense.

No, there's no reason to

No, there's nothing interesting to an enlightened person; while everything is pretty, everything is also revealed.

Probably unorganized and sloppy, they let the chips fall where they may

Depends on the enlightened person I suppose. Otherwise, I suppose you could say that an enlightened person might prefer organic food and no add-ons.

No, there's nothing to fear for them.

Possibly just a little beyond what the average person can notice, but not unrealistically.

No, because everything is pretty to an enlightened person, they are not picky.

Doubt it, unless they needed to. I doubt an enlightened person would care much at all for lust.

For me.

Probably, because I was kind of wondering why only that one question said to make a guess and I am not enlightened. Though, an enlightened person might not be curious, they might have seen this coming.

Not sure

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think if the results of enlightenment were so simple, predictable, and consistent, that it would no longer be enlightenment.

I was wondering if someone would raise that issue! It's quite an interesting question to me. Do you think enlightened people likely see the world and themselves in fundamentally similar ways?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
As usual, I see language as trying to fool us again. Since we have the word 'enlightened', we tend to think there are enlightened people and unenlightened people.

Assuming everyone's enlightened, do you think it likely an enlightened person would feel bothered if another enlightened person questioned or denied that he or she was enlightened?

Also, assuming everyone's enlightened, do you think it likely an enlightened person would feel bothered if he or she heard someone say that a person other than him or herself [i.e. other than the enlightened person] was enlightened?

I sometimes wonder about these things.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
So do you think enlightened people likely experience a disconnect between how they perceive or see the world and how they behave?

Or would it be more correct to say that, in that regard, enlightened people are indistinguishable from unenlightened people?

If you think that it is at all unlikely that an enlightened person would experience a disconnect, then would you be willing to speculate that it might be enlightened people are relatively unlikely to experience a disconnect between how they perceive or see the world and how they behave because, in part, they are not attempting to behave according to some code of ethics, nor according to some notion of how to properly conduct their lives, but are instead significantly more inclined to behave spontaneously, but in line with how they perceive or see the world?

Although I originally directed these questions to maxfreakout, I would enjoy discussing them with anyone who's interested, by the way.