• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Social Darwinism

uberrobonomicon4000

If you survive and don't reproduce you have failed to be successful.
I feel sorry for anyone that thinks like this. Success is not based on reproduction, you are falling into the original ideology of Herbert Spencer and ignoring the fact that a race or species can survive by adapting to their natural environment. That is what survival is about, not reproduction. Reproduction only carries a species so far before other factors come into play to determine their success.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
If you agree with evolution

I accept evolution as a fact and a scientific theory.
I'm not sure what 'agree with' means in this context.

are you a supporter of Social Darwinism as well?

Nope.

If not then why?

Because the one has nothing to do with the other.
One is a fact (allele frequencies change over time) and a scientific theory (living things evolve).
The other is at best a complete misunderstanding of the former, and also, it is nonsense.

Last edited:

freethinker44

I feel sorry for anyone that thinks like this. Success is not based on reproduction, you are falling into the original ideology of Herbert Spencer and ignoring the fact that a race or species can survive by adapting to their natural environment. That is what survival is about, not reproduction. Reproduction only carries a species so far before other factors come into play to determine their success.

A species can survive without reproducing? If not then I would say that is a pretty important part of survival. Reproduction is the ultimate goal of evolution. It isn't survival of the fittest to live, it is survival of the fittest to reproduce. All that is required to bypass extinction is reproduction. If a species can reproduce, they are good to go. Anything else is extra.

You say survival is about adapting to natural environment, not reproduction. What is the point to survive now just to die out later? There is a reason the ability to reproduce in some way is innate in all life on Earth. They wouldn't have survived if they weren't able to reproduce. A species can survive anything nature can throw at them, but if they can't reproduce they are just delaying their extinction. They haven't really survived, they just haven't died yet.

Kerr

And unless your specie is immortal, it will die out if it cannot reproduce.

uberrobonomicon4000

A species can survive without reproducing? If not then I would say that is a pretty important part of survival. Reproduction is the ultimate goal of evolution. It isn't survival of the fittest to live, it is survival of the fittest to reproduce. All that is required to bypass extinction is reproduction. If a species can reproduce, they are good to go. Anything else is extra.

You say survival is about adapting to natural environment, not reproduction. What is the point to survive now just to die out later? There is a reason the ability to reproduce in some way is innate in all life on Earth. They wouldn't have survived if they weren't able to reproduce. A species can survive anything nature can throw at them, but if they can't reproduce they are just delaying their extinction. They haven't really survived, they just haven't died yet.
I never said anything of the likes. I said it's not based solely on reproduction.
Not all species can handle anything nature can throw at them. Hence, the reason why so many species have gone extinct. Which is why I said reproduction can only carry a species so far before other factors come into play to determine its success.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
I never said anything of the likes. I said it's not based solely on reproduction.
Not all species can handle anything nature can throw at them. Hence, the reason why so many species have gone extinct. Which is why I said reproduction can only carry a species so far before other factors come into play to determine its success.
The success reproduction is the mark of the survival of the species. If they do not reproduce they die. If they successfully continue to reproduce then they have successfully adapted to their environment. The giraffe didn't get a long neck because it stretched really hard. Individual adaptation doesn't guarantee species success, in fact it can only help in two ways: passing the genetic adaptation on, or passing a learned behavior on through species that can teach learned behavior.

Both are only relevant such as they make the species more likely to continue to reproduce indirectly or directly.

uberrobonomicon4000

The success reproduction is the mark of the survival of the species. If they do not reproduce they die.
Any living organism can reproduce. It is just a fact. I would not consider the cow a very successful species seeing how we prolong its death by breeding them for consumption. I would not consider the cat a very successful species, seeing how we use them as pets, etc. That is not to say they are not useful or beneficial to someone else.
If they successfully continue to reproduce then they have successfully adapted to their environment.
So livestock is successful or have they just learned to accept the fact they will all be going to a giant slaughter house to be butchered and sold on the market?
[FONT=&quot]The giraffe didn't get a long neck because it stretched really hard. Individual adaptation doesn't guarantee species success; in fact it can only help in two ways: passing the genetic adaptation on, or passing a learned behavior on through species that can teach learned behavior.[/FONT]
Individual adaptation can too determine a species success. If farmer Jain were to teach a group of indigenous people cultivation, then she would have made her imprint on many generations to come.
Both are only relevant such as they make the species more likely to continue to reproduce indirectly or directly.
The point is, just because a species can reproduce and survive doesn’t mean they are any better off.

Which is why Social Darwinism takes on socioeconomic aspects of survival and is given a bad rep because it’s based on finical success and superiority of one race over another. Some races are better at surviving than others. I’m not racist, but for instance, some races of humans are capable of civil wars and overcoming their difference for the betterment of society or the community. While others just fall apart. Now that is just one extreme end of the spectrum with Social Darwinism. Let’s say on the other side of the socioeconomic spectrum there is an ideology that is not so extreme. That actually looks out for the general welfare of a population or people within a certain community. Would that be bad? It is still about the survival… only take a less extreme approach for the betterment of society.

gnostic

The Lost One
uberrobonomicon4000 said:
If you agree with evolution, are you a supporter of Social Darwinism as well?
If not then why?

I don't even know what Social Darwinism is.

And since I don't know what it is, I could say "yes" :yes:, "no":no:, "probably", "probably not" :sad:, "may be", "I don't know" :shrug:, "no comment" :foot:, "mind your own business" :tsk:, or "ask my mother". :rolleyes:

I think that about cover it.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Any living organism can reproduce. It is just a fact. I would not consider the cow a very successful species seeing how we prolong its death by breeding them for consumption. I would not consider the cat a very successful species, seeing how we use them as pets, etc. That is not to say they are not useful or beneficial to someone else.

You are confusing biological success with some other usage of success.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

So livestock is successful or have they just learned to accept the fact they will all be going to a giant slaughter house to be butchered and sold on the market?
Evolutionarily, yes, they're successful.

I like how Dan Dennett put it in a TED Talk he did: "how clever it was of sheep to have acquired shepherds!"

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Which is why Social Darwinism takes on socioeconomic aspects of survival and is given a bad rep because it’s based on finical success and superiority of one race over another. Some races are better at surviving than others. I’m not racist, but for instance, some races of humans are capable of civil wars and overcoming their difference for the betterment of society or the community. While others just fall apart.
I won't speak to whether YOU'RE racist, but that statement was.

Warren Clark

Informer
I don't even know what Social Darwinism is.

And since I don't know what it is, I could say "yes" :yes:, "no":no:, "probably", "probably not" :sad:, "may be", "I don't know" :shrug:, "no comment" :foot:, "mind your own business" :tsk:, or "ask my mother". :rolleyes:

I think that about cover it.

Social Darwinism is the idea that we socially behave like that of our primitive ancestor in our fight for survival. We are willing to kick people down in order to stay up the food chain. So to speak.

Now from wikipedia:
Social Darwinism is an ideology of society that seeks to apply biological concepts of Darwinism or of evolutionary theory to sociology and politics, often with the assumption that conflict between groups in society leads to social progress as superior groups outcompete inferior ones