• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sorry Gay People, This Country Failed You Again

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
And as for those of you who hope that American soldiers who have reservations about serving with gay men and women get killed in a suicide bomber attack, I just hope my daughter, son, and son in law (all serving in the US military) are not in the same vehicle or market square when this **** goes down. Damn.

There are many, many good people serving our country in the military, and many of then couldn't care less what adults do in the privacy of their own home, or dorm room.

You're entitled to your opinion about the our military, but just keep in mind when you express it that some of the forum members have served, or have loved ones serving. Most suicide bombers take out innocent people when they detonate their bombs (ironically, if you're Muslim and living in a Muslim country, you're more in danger from your fellow Muslims than you are from Western military personnel). Keep that in mind when you're fantasizing about suicide bombers killing people you disagree with.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I feel bad about singling you out, and I like your thread, but I kind of feel like responding to ignorance with intense anger and hatred is only fueling the fire. This is certainly an important issue, with the constant intolerance and segregation and all that, but I don't think it ever helps to lose one's cool. I don't think it's ever ok to wish for someone to die in a suicide bombing.
:clapVery well said. Treating ignorance with such hatred will only deepen the justification of being ignorant. Someone said that same day those who don't bother to pick up a book will die off. Let's also hope that those who are just as intolerant as those they talk down on will die off as well.
A degree of hostility towards 142857 has certainly been shown, and why should he bother to even think about changing his opinion or even learning about why his views are inaccurate when so many people went straight for their torches and pitchforks. Any of the people who did that should be ashamed.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
I feel bad about singling you out, and I like your thread, but I kind of feel like responding to ignorance with intense anger and hatred is only fueling the fire. This is certainly an important issue, with the constant intolerance and segregation and all that, but I don't think it ever helps to lose one's cool. I don't think it's ever ok to wish for someone to die in a suicide bombing.

I feel sorry for 142857. He apparently has some pretty weird fantasies or terrible experiences or something, and is ignorant about a lot of things. People that have responded by educating him about things he doesn't understand have done a good service.

And as for those of you who hope that American soldiers who have reservations about serving with gay men and women get killed in a suicide bomber attack, I just hope my daughter, son, and son in law (all serving in the US military) are not in the same vehicle or market square when this **** goes down. Damn.

There are many, many good people serving our country in the military, and many of then couldn't care less what adults do in the privacy of their own home, or dorm room.

You're entitled to your opinion about the our military, but just keep in mind when you express it that some of the forum members have served, or have loved ones serving. Most suicide bombers take out innocent people when they detonate their bombs (ironically, if you're Muslim and living in a Muslim country, you're more in danger from your fellow Muslims than you are from Western military personnel). Keep that in mind when you're fantasizing about suicide bombers killing people you disagree with.

Agree strongly with both these posts.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Does anyone else here see the irony in this OP? The article is from a Muslim news source. Gays are persecuted and even publically stoned in many Muslim countries.
I was wondering just how credible Al Jazera is. I honestly have no idea.

So, I talked to a 5 cops last night, all men. 3 individually and 2 as a pair. 4 short conversations....unanimously stated they all endorse gay women as police officers over straight women and none wanted to work with a gay man, period. My bet is that soldiers will mirror that sentiment exactly.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
So, I talked to a 5 cops last night, all men. 3 individually and 2 as a pair. 4 short conversations....unanimously stated they all endorse gay women as police officers over straight women and none wanted to work with a gay man, period. My bet is that soldiers will mirror that sentiment exactly.

Did you read the article I posted?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Ok.....Honestly, as bad as it may sound.....Straight soldiers don't want gay guys watching their backs....

Honestly, The Strongest Fighting Force in the world would be slightly de moralized if it were to become the worlds first openly gay brigade.

If this is true, they aren't very good soldiers.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

I see nothing statistically wrong with this unbiased study whatsoever.

Smoke

Done here.
I was wondering just how credible Al Jazera is. I honestly have no idea.

More credible than the average news source in America. In fact, Al Jazeera is controversial -- apart from garden-variety anti-Arab prejudice -- precisely because it's an excellent news source, and governments rarely like that.

Their reporting on Qatar is for obvious reasons not very hard-hitting. In other respects, Al Jazeera's standard of journalism is excellent.

But regardless of what one thinks about Al Jazeera, the facts about DADT aren't really in doubt.

Smoke

Done here.
So, I talked to a 5 cops last night, all men. 3 individually and 2 as a pair. 4 short conversations....unanimously stated they all endorse gay women as police officers over straight women and none wanted to work with a gay man, period.
The scientific rigor of your study is admirable. :rolleyes:

My bet is that soldiers will mirror that sentiment exactly.
It is possible, but not very likely, that a majority of U.S. soldiers share your ignorance and bigotry. All the evidence we have indicates that the majority do not.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Blatant hypocrisy. Were they from a department in a small hick town?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It is possible, but not very likely, that a majority of U.S. soldiers share your ignorance and bigotry. All the evidence we have indicates that the majority do not.

Even if they did, they enlisted so now their place is to shut up and do as their told.

dust1n

Zindīq

Thanks for the ethics lesson. Personally, I think it is entirely okay to wish for a bigot to die in a suicide bombing. I mean, hell, they go off all the time regardless; I wish they would hit less civilians and more bigots. Oh, I was really drunk last night, too. :cover: ;)

I feel sorry for 142857.

Me too.

dust1n

Zindīq
Does anyone else here see the irony in this OP? The article is from a Muslim news source. Gays are persecuted and even publically stoned in many Muslim countries.

Kinda the pot calling the kettle black, wouldn't you say?

Are you serious? :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Please provide one article from Al Jazeera where gays are condoned.

dust1n

Zindīq

Me too, unless they are bigots, which I know they are not. You know my sentiments on the topic. Everyone is over there on there own reserve.

dust1n

Zindīq

So? It's not their ******* choice.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Regardless of religious and national origins, I'm sure Al Jazeera at least pretends to be objective like western news agencies do. They do a better job at feigning "fair and balanced" than FOX news does, anyway.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't know the statistics of whether the military personnel are comfortable with allowing homosexuals to serve or not. Or police officers.

Frankly, I don't see why the statistics should matter. I don't think segregation and intolerance should be legal even if the masses want it. If most people vote that blacks shouldn't have the same rights as whites, or that interracial couples can't marry, or that homosexuals cannot openly serve in the military, it shouldn't make a difference. Basic rights, freedoms, and equal treatment should be upheld regardless of popular opinion. The masses can decide many things, but not basic human rights.

As for homosexuals in the military, I'd wager that most civilized people would either be accepting of it or would get over it if they were not. As other people have pointed out, other armed forces have done alright with open homosexuals serving.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Personally, I think military and police need to have high standards and integrity, and the honor and valor they're advertised to have. Not a bunch of knuckle-dragging, slack-jawed cowboys.