• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soy will make you gay?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
:biglaugh:

Link

I thought I had heard it all. But I guess they can't keep blaming it on choice when so many of their own keep proving them wrong. Remember Ted Haggard, now there's another evangelical preacher of a mega-church who's admitted the same. Too much tofu, boys?

I'll bet the beef industry loves this. I can hear their new slogan now: Beef, it will make you a real man!

:rolleyes:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Neither one of these two preachers came out on his own. Both condemned homosexuality in their careers. That speaks volumes about their morals.

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
Maize said:
Soy will make you gay?
Well, in large quantities it is ridiculously unhealthy, verging on medically toxic, and the comment that;

Unfortunately, when you eat or drink a lot of soy stuff, you're also getting substantial quantities of estrogens.
Is actually mostly true, though that's due more to the current methods of growing it then any inherent deficiency in the food itself. The problem is further exasperated by the large number of food products that are soya-based or indirectly contain soya-byproducts.

If anyone's interested, herein lies an interesting article on soya:-
http://www.guardian.co.uk/food/Story/0,,1828158,00.html

-----

However, the (somewhat more Christian) article's claims that there exists a direct link between the effects of soya food and sexuality are not only wildly unsubstantiated and reliant on a whole legion of (equally unsubstantiated) assumptions, but seemingly offers arguments that contradict the oft-spoused evangelical position that homosexuality is a choice, and a poor one at that.

dbakerman76

God's Nephew
I guess with all the soy I consume, I'm fast on my way to gayness.

Oh well....I wouldn't be the first one in my family.

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
Maize said:
:biglaugh:

Link

I thought I had heard it all. But I guess they can't keep blaming it on choice when so many of their own keep proving them wrong. Remember Ted Haggard, now there's another evangelical preacher of a mega-church who's admitted the same. Too much tofu, boys?

I'll bet the beef industry loves this. I can hear their new slogan now: Beef, it will make you a real man!

:rolleyes:

Rats! My wife may have just made me gay. She made me two soy-sausage, egg and swiss mcmuffins this morning. And, now that I think of it, Brad Pitt sure does have a sexy stomach! What to do! O' Holy evengelical god of wrath, ssave me from the soy!:shout

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Nordicßearskin said:
Well, in large quantities it is ridiculously unhealthy, verging on medically toxic, and the comment that;

Is actually mostly true, though that's due more to the current methods of growing it then any inherent deficiency in the food itself. The problem is further exasperated by the large number of food products that are soya-based or indirectly contain soya-byproducts.

If anyone's interested, herein lies an interesting article on soya:-
http://www.guardian.co.uk/food/Story/0,,1828158,00.html

-----

However, the (somewhat more Christian) article's claims that there exists a direct link between the effects of soya food and sexuality are not only wildly unsubstantiated and reliant on a whole legion of (equally unsubstantiated) assumptions, but seemingly offers arguments that contradict the oft-spoused evangelical position that homosexuality is a choice, and a poor one at that.

Exactly. I think everyone is aware that large quanities of anything is not good for you - but to claim that a food will change your sexual orientation is just silly.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
That is the craziest link I've read in a long time. That a person could write something as ludicrous as that and keep a straight (haaaaa) face is beyond me.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Maize said:
I know what I'm having for dinner tonight! Soy burgers!! Let's see if I can get more gay. :rainbow1:
Make me one up too ok? I want to turn gay for a week or two just for fun!

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
Maize said:

Exactly. I think everyone is aware that large quanities of anything is not good for you - but to claim that a food will change your sexual orientation is just silly.
Perhaps I should have been a little clearer. By 'large quantities' I wasn't referring to, say, eating disorders or a diet containing naught but soya, but any diet that contains soya as a significant part of it. (Which would be more then first thought, given that roughly 60% of all processed food contains some form of soya).

And by 'ridiculously unhealthy' I meant, well... Pretty much what I said. *smiles*

My point was that despite the later claims and conclusions, at least one central premise of the WND article is broadly supported by growing medical evidence; in essence that as a culture we're consuming too much of a product which has some nasty side-effects.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Wait a minute.... does the soy have the same effect on men and women? :areyoucra

If it's giving you loads of estrogen, wouldn't that make women *gulp* more effeminate?

*slowly puts down soy burger and backs away*

lunamoth

Will to love
Nordicßearskin said:
Perhaps I should have been a little clearer. By 'large quantities' I wasn't referring to, say, eating disorders or a diet containing naught but soya, but any diet that contains soya as a significant part of it. (Which would be more then first thought, given that roughly 60% of all processed food contains some form of soya).

And by 'ridiculously unhealthy' I meant, well... Pretty much what I said. *smiles*

My point was that despite the later claims and conclusions, at least one central premise of the WND article is broadly supported by growing medical evidence; in essence that as a culture we're consuming too much of a product which has some nasty side-effects.

The part about estrogen is true, which is why women in menopause are sometimes encouraged to eat lots of soy. Or so I've heard...