• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stuff Republicans say.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
How many times do I have to post that why we know that there is global warming is because of the stats based on actual measurements, not models.

[Where's that head-banging against the wall icon?]

as above, 'actual measurements' of any accuracy are limited to satellite data dating to 1979, and showing a current anomaly of +.35C that's not a disputed measurement-
and far below what models predicted.

other than that, correlation does not equal causation- the likelihood of any two data sets having an overall correlation of both 'up' or both 'down'. is 50%

not only does it not prove global warming, it doesn't even suggest it

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
You're obviously extremely well informed in this area :)
Actually fairly well-informed, especially since it's not my area of science. I have done the research from many different sources, including some that claim it's a hoax. Obviously, you haven't.

metis

as above, 'actual measurements' of any accuracy are limited to satellite data dating to 1979, and showing a current anomaly of +.35C that's not a disputed measurement-
and far below what models predicted.

other than that, correlation does not equal causation- the likelihood of any two data sets having an overall correlation of both 'up' or both 'down'. is 50%

not only does it not prove global warming, it doesn't even suggest it
Complete, unadulterated nonsense. Since you are unwilling to do the research from scientific sites, I'm not going to waste any more time with you.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Complete, unadulterated nonsense. Since you are unwilling to do the research from scientific sites, I'm not going to waste any more time with you.

Don't waste time with me, look at the data for yourself, don't accept anyone else's interpretation of it.

"The important thing is to not stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing".-- Einstein

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
So long as it's one guy proposing this law, & the legislature hasn't passed it, you needn't worry.
From the article:
The bill does not change the six-month jail term and $500 for a first offense or one-year jail term and $1,000 fine for a second offense.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
From the article:
The bill does not change the six-month jail term and $500 for a first offense or one-year jail term and $1,000 fine for a second offense.
His proposal is a change to an existing indecent exposure law. The change would be terrible, but is Montana's indecent exposure harsher than other states?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Some states. I can't list off the exact laws of many states, but I have seen some that are far more relaxed.
One must be careful when nature calls & there are no lavatories handy. There's a risk of becoming a registered sex offender just for doing what every one does.

Midnight Rain

actually global warming is most accepted amongst people with high school education or less, graduates in science are more likely to consider it scientifically illiterate garbage...
This is incredibly false.
Science is about not having to take other people's word for it. what is your understanding of how an extra couple molecules of CO2 in 10,000 of air disrupts the climate?
CO2 doesn't absorb heat energy from electromagnetic waves shorter than 4000 nanometers but does a great job of absorbing heat energy from electromagnetic waves a bit longer than 4000 nanometers. The light from the sun enters our atmosphere with high energy waves that are shorter than the 4000 nanometers and when it "bounces" off the surface the energy is dispersed into waves longer than 4000 nanometers which CO2 easily absorbs.

So the CO2 in the atmosphere doesn't retain or block any heat energy from entering the surface from direct sunlight but the indirect ricochet of energy off of the surface is retained.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
actually global warming is most accepted amongst people with high school education or less, graduates in science are more likely to consider it scientifically illiterate garbage...
Oh, boy....where to even begin? Probably with the fact that well over 90% of scientists agree that human contributions have accelerated climate change beyond what is normally experienced by the earth, perhaps? That those scientists know that CO2 in the atmosphere traps waves the sun, waves that would normally bounce back into space but instead are reflected back into the earth because of the CO2?
CO2 doesn't absorb heat energy from electromagnetic waves shorter than 4000 nanometers but does a great job of absorbing heat energy from electromagnetic waves a bit longer than 4000 nanometers. The light from the sun enters our atmosphere with high energy waves that are shorter than the 4000 nanometers and when it "bounces" off the surface the energy is dispersed into waves longer than 4000 nanometers which CO2 easily absorbs.

So the CO2 in the atmosphere doesn't retain or block any heat energy from entering the surface from direct sunlight but the indirect ricochet of energy off of the surface is retained.
Clearly, such an explanation that is a bit more detailed than a basic collegiate Earth science class is only for foolish high schoolers. Considering the properties of CO2 and the wavelengths are electromagnetic waves that come from the sun are just not things a real scientists does, and is only for those high schoolers who are barely taught a thing about Earth science.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I disagree, I think the people running society should represent that society, not be a minority elite who claim to own knowledge and intellectual superiority.

How much global warming is being measured in Boston right now?
Represent society - yes. Not pander to the ignorant.

And to to refer to one location at one time is to display ignorance. I could easily cite Northern California which has temperatures like we should have in mid-April. But such an assertion on my part would be scientifically ignorant.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think the people running society should represent that society, not be a minority elite who claim to own knowledge and intellectual superiority.

The sad fact is there is no law or rule that states the village idiots who deny evolution and global warming must necessarily be our leaders. Alas!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
How many times do I have to post that why we know that there is global warming is because of the stats based on actual measurements, not models.

[Where's that head-banging against the wall icon?]
You can't really argue with someone who puts politics ahead of truth/science. There were some apparent issues with projections which is a valid question. But to ask if we're missing a factor in projections is not at all the same thing as denying the science. For example Global warming slowdown: No systematic errors in climate models is one answer to a valid scientific question. And another one is http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/v7/n3/full/ngeo2098.html

Now there are valid questions such as how fast is the climate changing, what changes in weather patterns are occurring and will occur and how can we mitigate the effects. Those are valid policy questions.

But when you have one side insisting to the point of disallowing projections based on fact (which happened in one southern state), you leave science and enter into extreme political correctness overruling truth. t

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I think the people running society should represent that society, not be a minority elite who claim to own knowledge and intellectual superiority.
In other words politics is more important than truth. But take it to its logical conclusion. Doctor are a "minority elite" so we should ignore what medicine says and vote on what causes disease and how to cure it. Historians are a "minority elite" so let's vote on what really happened in the past. Electricians are a "minority elite" so let's vote on the best way to wire a house. Engineers are a "minority elite" so let's vote on how to build buildings.

Sigh.

metis

Don't waste time with me, look at the data for yourself, don't accept anyone else's interpretation of it.

"The important thing is to not stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing".-- Einstein
I have from rather reputable science sources. I've posted some for you, but you're obviously not interested in science and are far more interested in politicized hogwash. Too bad that you use your religious faith as a set of blinders to reality. To me, any such approach, not only is anti-scientific, it's also anti-God.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I have from rather reputable science sources. I've posted some for you, but you're obviously not interested in science and are far more interested in politicized hogwash. Too bad that you use your religious faith as a set of blinders to reality. To me, any such approach, not only is anti-scientific, it's also anti-God.
I think you're making the point about a false dichotomy between belief in God and care for creation. There are increasing numbers of people who believe that God wants us to take the best possible care for the Earth. The light of science is part of that because otherwise we make bad decisions based on superstition and ignorance.

metis

I think you're making the point about a false dichotomy between belief in God and care for creation. There are increasing numbers of people who believe that God wants us to take the best possible care for the Earth. The light of science is part of that because otherwise we make bad decisions based on superstition and ignorance.
Yes, and maybe you noted that under my avatar are the words "Jewish Naturalism", which is a spin-off of Spinoza's alternative name for God, "Nature", using that name in its broadest reference.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

like sacrificing to the weather Gods to prevent bad weather? that's the oldest most self destructive superstition known to man. Christianity freed much of the world from superstitious yokes like this

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
In other words politics is more important than truth. But take it to its logical conclusion. Doctor are a "minority elite" so we should ignore what medicine says and vote on what causes disease and how to cure it. Historians are a "minority elite" so let's vote on what really happened in the past. Electricians are a "minority elite" so let's vote on the best way to wire a house. Engineers are a "minority elite" so let's vote on how to build buildings.

Sigh.

I would think that the majority would vote to largely trust professionals, craftsmen, to the degree that they are held to practical results, they would not vote to agree with academics on evolution and global warming, and certain opinion/politically driven elements of history, so yes I think it works.

i.e. science is a method, not a political opinion is the point

Stalin replaced the method of the common farmer with academic, 'scientific' elite opinion, and killed millions