• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taking the name of the Lord God in vain.

M

Majikthise

Squirt said:
Exodus 20:7 states, "Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain." Since I have recently been accused of doing just that, I am wondering what you all think this means. What constitutes taking God's name in vain?

It's just like a black cat crossing your path, breaking a mirror or the number thirteen,...superstition.

Unedited

1. 'Name' doesn't refer to god's actual name, but rather to his reputation, to who he is.
2. Shav', translated as vain, can also mean false or worthless.

So I believe that the commandment speaks of falsely representing god, and the use of his name in circumstances which contribute to the defiling of his name (reputation).

Jonathan

Hi. This is my first post and I was curious about something. Unfortunately one thing I have done on occassion is take the Lord's name in vain by saying "___ damnit." I feel really badly for this and I have asked for forgiveness for it and don't do it anymore. I saw this in Matthew and is spoken by Jesus:

31. Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
32. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Does this mean that I cannot be forgiven for taking the Lord's name in vain, ever? I have been baptised and I know I will be forgiven for my other sins but I'm not sure if this can be forgiven if I am reading this right. It was just something really stupid I used to say when I was angry and I'm really not sure why I used that combination of words when I didn't mean to insult my Lord. What do you guys think?

Mykola

Jonathan said:
31. Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
32. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Does this mean that I cannot be forgiven for taking the Lord's name in vain, ever? I have been baptised and I know I will be forgiven for my other sins but I'm not sure if this can be forgiven if I am reading this right. It was just something really stupid I used to say when I was angry and I'm really not sure why I used that combination of words when I didn't mean to insult my Lord. What do you guys think?

I think that the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost is refusal to repent a sin.

If one sins deliberately and refuses to accept that he's sinned and persists in this sin - this cannot be forgiven. It is not so in you case...

So, since you are Christian - you shouldn't bother yourself with the sin you had already confessed and repented.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Of course like anything else related to God, there are many differing opinions on what is taking the Lord's name in vain. To me, (as a Christian) it simply means to use either God or Jesus' name in a way that is not edifying or glorifying.

I try really hard not to do that, but I'm not perfect either. I let an occasional OMG slip out or "Oh Gawd". But, I am proud of myself that I have only said the word G-dammit maybe once or twice in my whole life. I really, really dislike that word. Makes my ears cringe. And I don't think I've ever said the words Jesus Christ in any way other than actually talking about him.

Now before some of you think I am bragging and proclaiming to be all sweet and innocent...well, you'd be wrong. I do swear. :D Just ask anyone in the music threads. I kind of like to. But.....I TRY to ration it! ;)

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Squirt said:
Exodus 20:7 states, "Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain." Since I have recently been accused of doing just that, I am wondering what you all think this means. What constitutes taking God's name in vain?

in Judaism it is not just throwing around the name of HaShem all whilly nilly but is also a prohibition on breaking oaths and promises.

when you make a commitment, pledge, promise, or oath it is a huge deal in the heavenly court. When you violate or break that, it's ripples are felt in this world and the next.

Krie

i just watched the movie Doom last night and your thread reminded me of the guy that cut himself b/c he used God's name in vain. He cut a cross into his arm. I think that he was a sorry for saying it but later on in the movie he did turn into a demon and killed himself by bashing his head on the glass.
My point in this is that everyone slips up like that but for some things it is not worth punishment.