• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teachers opinions in public schools

SarahRuth

My daughter came to me last week about a concern she had. It had to do with a comment made by a teacher.

Apparently in her English class the students are asked to bring in newspaper articles to discuss, and the class is encouraged to give their opinions and discuss the article in class. I think this is a wonderful exercise in learning how to read and interpret the news, understanding different perspectives, expressing your own opinions, and reasoning through your own thoughts... No complaints about the exercise!!

However, one of the discussions led to religion. It was entirely appropriate based on the article and the direction that the discussion went in. Again, I have no problem with this in general...

Then the teacher said that: "Islam only exists to justify war and pedophilia".

Apparently that resulted in an immediate end of discussion, the students were shocked and didn't know how to respond, many of them were bothered by the statement and discussed it among themselves after class.

I called the school to complain, and I wonder if I should have taken that step. What do you all think? Teachers have opinions too, should they be allowed to express them in class? Should that statement have been preceeded by a disclaimer, such as "my opinion is..."? Or should the teacher have kept his opinions to himself and just let the students discuss the topic?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
There are some opinions that are better left unsaid to children in a school setting. That statement sounds incredibly inappropriate, and I think you did the right thing to say something.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I agree. That sort of statement should never be made by a teacher in a classroom.

I called the school to complain, and I wonder if I should have taken that step. What do you all think? Teachers have opinions too, should they be allowed to express them in class? Should that statement have been preceeded by a disclaimer, such as "my opinion is..."? Or should the teacher have kept his opinions to himself and just let the students discuss the topic?
I think that in general, teachers should avoid giving their own personal opinions. In rare cases it can be appropriate, but I think that in borderline cases, it's better to err on the side of caution and keep it to onesself.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Completely inappropriate in a classroom setting. Additionally, if teachers focused more on teaching the curriculum, and less on espousing their opinions, maybe our kids would get a better education. Especially opinions about religion, creationism, politics, etc.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Some teachers are nothing more than pinheads who happen to have four years of college. The teacher's remark was, of course, asinine; however, it's impact will depend on the age of the students. I can see it having more effect on young students than on more mature older students, who are more likely to put it in its proper context: an idiocy uttered by an idiot.

As for your concern as to having done the right thing, rest assured, you did. We need more parents such as yourself who are willing to bring their concerns to the proper people.
icon14.gif

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I agree. That sort of statement should never be made by a teacher in a classroom.

I think that in general, teachers should avoid giving their own personal opinions. In rare cases it can be appropriate, but I think that in borderline cases, it's better to err on the side of caution and keep it to onesself.

This^

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I agree. And I want to make it clear just why: because it creates a needlessly difficult situation for the children who are Muslims themselves, or even just have Muslim acquaintances. And that opinion is so extreme that it ends up being false anyway - it is no longer a matter of freedom of belief, but one of avoiding slander.

HonestJoe

I'd be a little cautious about judging the teacher on a third hand report of the statement they made without any detailed context. It's possible they were trying to play a Devil's advocate position but were misunderstood for example.

That said, I don't think teachers should be expressing such extreme and controversial opinions to their students due to their position of authority. I've actually run similar kinds of exercises with young people and I feel you do need to retain the independent moderator role, however difficult that might be.

I do think you were perfectly justified in contacting the school to express your concern. Hopefully it was some kind of misunderstanding and a brief chat between teacher and the principal would resolve everything. If it was more series though, I think it was important for the school management to be aware. Even if the statement is considered appropriate by the school, the fact it bothered their students could need addressing.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Being a teacher myself I am very careful about voicing personal opinions in the classroom.
I mean if a student asks me what my favourite food is, or what kind of music I like then that's hardly controversial (Unless, for some reason, the food you eat and the music itself is controversial).

But when it comes to issues like politics and religion, these are topics that needs to be handled with care because people tend to have strong feelings about them, and in Norway teachers are not in any way allowed to attempt to indoctrinate their pupils.
This, I feel, is how it should be.

Depending on the age group though, it can be productive for the discussion in class if the teacher sometimes play the role of the devil's advocate, and sometimes an "edgy" statement can be useful to provoke a reaction and engagement from the students.

But again, this should be done with the utmost care and not to promote any kind of religious or political agenda.
Also, it is essential that the teacher knows his or her students well enough to know where to draw the line.

Since little context is given for the statement above (age group, setting, etc.) I'll refrain from commenting on that particular case.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Very careful lines to walk here. What if the teacher said, "Some people believe that Islam only exists to justify war and pedophilia." Then it's a whole new ball game. I'm not saying there is innocence or guilt. There will have to be a proper investigation, and all you can hope for is that there is a fair one.

if indeed it went down as alleged, then there might be a dismissal in order. Please keep us informed.

My daughter came to me last week about a concern she had. It had to do with a comment made by a teacher.

Apparently in her English class the students are asked to bring in newspaper articles to discuss, and the class is encouraged to give their opinions and discuss the article in class. I think this is a wonderful exercise in learning how to read and interpret the news, understanding different perspectives, expressing your own opinions, and reasoning through your own thoughts... No complaints about the exercise!!

However, one of the discussions led to religion. It was entirely appropriate based on the article and the direction that the discussion went in. Again, I have no problem with this in general...

Then the teacher said that: "Islam only exists to justify war and pedophilia".

Apparently that resulted in an immediate end of discussion, the students were shocked and didn't know how to respond, many of them were bothered by the statement and discussed it among themselves after class.

May I ask a question? This is an honest question:

If the article was about the Pope and teacher had said something negative about the Catholic Church, would you have called and complained?

I ask because there is a definite trend in this nation that no one can deny which makes Catholicism - and Christianty in general I suppose - a big fat target for attacks & negative speech, and yet anything negative said about Muslims autonatically brings out the PC Police. So I am curious to know if you would have reacted the same.

BTW: The teacher WAS out of line.

I ask because there is a definite trend in this nation that no one can deny which makes Catholicism - and Christianty in general I suppose - a big fat target for attacks & negative speech, and yet anything negative said about Muslims autonatically brings out the PC Police. So I am curious to know if you would have reacted the same.

what part of california are you from? i think this probably has a lot to do with it. here in georgia christianity is only a target for special treatment. and from my experience it's like that in much of the US, as well as much of california.

what part of california are you from? i think this probably has a lot to do with it. here in georgia christianity is only a target for special treatment. and from my experience it's like that in much of the US, as well as much of california.

Your POV may refelct the sources you go to for news. Christianity is under attack in all quarters, though not all news outlets report it very much: Kids being sued and suspended for praying at events, a teacher was recently fired for have a Bible. A person was recently arrested outside a DMV for reading a Bible. There are hundreds of these types of stories.

But at any rate, that was not the focus of my post. I was merely curious to know if SarahRuth would have reacted the same way if the article the kid read was about the Pope and teacher had said something negative about the Catholic Church.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Your POV may refelct the sources you go to for news. Christianity is under attack in all quarters, though not all news outlets report it very much: Kids being sued and suspended for praying at events, a teacher was recently fired for have a Bible. A person was recently arrested outside a DMV for reading a Bible. There are hundreds of these types of stories.
Various groups are always vying for power against others in the US, so I'm sure that every religion can find cases of poor treatment.
Your examples sound suspicious or at least anomalous. Since Xians run this country, occupying nearly every powerful position in
government, if you're being oppressed, then you must be doing it to yourselves. Certainly, we heathens are too few & feckless to
cause your woes. Some of the trouble is that we are a very challenged country regarding accurately & reasonably interpreting our
Constitution. Government is a blunt instrument, which could account for some of your perceived slights.

Last edited:
......if you're being oppressed, then you must be doing it to yourselves......

Not neccessarily. You could have every member of Congress be Christian and have a Christian president, but if someone like the ACLU decides to sue a school for having a prayer at a football game, all that other power does not amount to diddly-squat.

The attacks on Christinity come in such a manner that all the power in the world means nothing. They come in the courts, in regulations by seperate entities (such as colleges and universities) and in propoganda accross all spectrums.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Not neccessarily. You could have every member of Congress be Christian and have a Christian president, but if someone like the ACLU decides to sue a school for having a prayer at a football game, all that other power does not amount to diddly-squat.
Generally, the ACLU can only achieve what is Constitutional.
Certainly, you would have gov't enforce the law of the land, eh?

The attacks on Christinity come in such a manner that all the power in the world means nothing. They come in the courts, in regulations by seperate entities (such as colleges and universities) and in propoganda accross all spectrums.
You ought to consider that all of us feel we're under attack at times. Try being an advocate of small gov't & free markets....see the feces slung in one's direction.
I see derision & restrictions aimed at Muslims, Baptists, atheists (eg, me), white folk, black folk, Asian folk, Wiccans, NRA members (eg, me), et al.
Tis worthwhile to not assume a mantle of victimhood when one's group is faring well, but not quite as well as one wants.

blackout

Violet.
I always find it a bit amusing that they teach the kids lessons on "opinion or fact",
and then proceed themselves to present so many opinions as fact.

When my kids come home with these for me,
I say
"opinion or fact".? ;)
They already knew, or sensed it though,
which is why they brought it up to me in the first place.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I know it's off topic, but it's always wonderful to see that purplish font!
(I'm trying to point at it, but my avatar won't cooperate.)

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Christianity is under attack in all quarters, though not all news outlets report it very much:
Seriously? How?

Kids being sued and suspended for praying at events,
Specifics?

a teacher was recently fired for have a Bible
Are you talking about John Freshwater in Ohio? If so, he wasn't fired for having a Bible.

A person was recently arrested outside a DMV for reading a Bible.
Link?

I wouldn't be happy with a teacher telling my child that because not only is it untrue but its likely to affect the childrens perspective of Islam and their relationships with Muslims negatively, especially if the teacher has influence over the children which they often do.

I've met some really good teachers and some really terrible ones, often the latter have a self-inflated sense of importance and insist they are correct even when they are evidently incorrect. This is especially true when it comes to their personal opinions which are often uninfomed but they assume are informed because they are a teacher. Highly frustrating to discuss things with a few of the teachers I know because their views can border on being dogmatic at times.

Its fine to explore ideas within the context of the subject matter being discussed but its important not to allow such discussion to become a stage for indivuals to simply promote their particular worldview. Therefore the teacher should be acting more as a chair, controlling the discussion and acting as an arbiter when conflict arises rather than engaging directly in the debate and losing control.