• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teleological Argument (Aquinas)

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In theistic evolution there is an innate purposive potential.
That might turn out to be correct, but today, there is no evidence of that and no reason to believe it.
you 100% believe that physical evidence is the only pathway to discerning truth.
Empiricism is the ONLY path to knowledge about reality. I know that you reject that, but you can't successfully rebut it, which is always the case with correct statements.
Something happened (instead of nothing) because it could. How was it possible? And why did this happen and not anything else? Whatever the answer is, it clearly transcends the limitations that have been imposed on existence as we know it. And therefor, on our ability to comprehend it.
Good question, but presently, and perhaps forever, answers aren't available, and guesses have little value.
The evolution of life forms is simply the expression of what is possible against what is not possible. As is everything else occurring in the universe. So the need for a source of those possibilities and impossibilities remains.
Same answer. You can't have that answer yet, and maybe never. The trick is to learn to be comfortable with agnosticism, or the state of not having such answers and resisting the impulse to guess.
We could disappear down a rabbit hole for hours, just trying to agree on a meaning of the term ‘supernatural’
You can't give a coherent definition of supernatural. Nobody can. It's an incoherent (internally contradictory) claim about reality.

It attempts to create a segment of reality to "explain" why something that can't be detected exists anyway. Whatever affects experience can be detected (experienced) and is therefore just another aspect of nature. When we discovered the quantum realm and its seemingly magical properties, we didn't call it supernatural. It is just another aspect of nature. If gods exist, so are they.
If we are prepared to consider the possibility that consciousness may be fundamental, at least to human experience, as time and space, or energy and matter, are fundamental, we may begin to develop new* perspectives on the material world and our place in it.
I did that when I studied the mind-body problem in philosophy, which considers the relationship of mind to matter. There are four logical possibilities, and idealism is one of them. So is materialism, as is neutral monism and Cartesian dualism. None can be ruled in or out, but materialism works well.

No conclusions are possible at this time.
And here’s another Nobel laureate, Isidor Rabi, writing in Physics Today; “Physics filled me with awe, put me in touch with a sense of original causes. Physics brought me closer to God. That feeling stayed with me throughout my years in science.”
Why should a physicist's religious sentiments be of any interest to others? Do you think the skeptic should defer to somebody who assigns a god to nature on a hunch? Why would he?

Andrew Stephen

Stephen Andrew
Premium Member
"the main opposition to rationalism is empiricism, the view that sense experience is the source of knowledge"
  • Rationalism
    The belief that reason and logic are the primary sources of knowledge or intelligence, and that some truths are available to be grasped directly through the intellect, the intelligence. Rationalists believe that knowledge, the intelligence from it, is independent of sensory, transmitted or perceived by the senses or experience. Logically manifestation is through the Will, the Power of the Selected spirit choice.

• Empiricism
    The belief that knowledge or intelligence is created and acquired through experience or choice, the failed state of created knowledge or intelligence of "The First Spirit", and that sense experience is the ultimate source of all knowledge. Empiricism is associated with the idea that the human mind is "blank" at birth and develops its thoughts through experience. The image of the pattern of infallibility becomes the pattern of the selected "spirit" and is the Will of the Selected spirit and manifests life with respect to the intelligence's ability to manifest infallibly, forever without failure. In logic, the undefiled state of intelligence is in the pattern consisting of "Not" failure. Removed in the real intelligence is the pattern consisting of no chance of defilement and internal temptations to fail will not be included becoming the pattern of infallibility. The real intelligence will never fail in eternity and consists of One Unfailing Will, or pattern of behavior as intrinsically infallible. We become as one in being in the unfailing will of creation re-imaged, logically and through the Faith of Abraham, the Father of Faith and Isaac, logically, the "first" Priest and Sacrifice, fulfilled by The Christ, we become reborn and saved.
Peace to all,

To me in logic the created spirit and flesh are both corrupt and mortal. What becomes of mortality of the flesh and spirit is failure to live abundantly and eternally. What becomes of failure of the spirit is manifestation of life of the Bodies of Adam and Eve and created life and spirit are doomed, but the greatest gift that created life and spirit created love. Adam's only sin was he had to give up his mortal life of be with the love of a dying Eve who first gave up her life from the Tree of Knowledge, the ultimate Intelligence to choose between loving or not, to bring the spirit and life, the created choice to love to Adam. Eve ate of the Tree of Knowledge first. This is the logic and truth that creates the greatest gift, love. And what is the answer in the real intelligence of Creation? Pure intrinsic fulfilled intelligence is from The Persons in Being from the Trinity of the Godhead. The mind or intelligence of Creation is manifestation of infallible certainty from the power of the Intelligence through the delivery of the Intelligence through the fulfillment of His Passion, Eternal Love for the creator God in the image of The Father.

In logic, and faith to me is that the failed spirit in the Created Body, in the logical Big Bang, has in the pattern of behavior intrinsic and includes the pattern to accept or reject through "Choice" and through choice manifestation of the selected spirit produces from the state of the spirit manifesting through the flesh for the soul of the Body. A "Better" choice produces through a better spirit a "More Abundant" on earth. And in fulfilled Creation of the Big Bang, the Will of The Father is the Word, the Eternal Authority of Life and Spirit that becomes Flesh as The Christ in the Person of Jesus conceived in the Person of The Holy Spirit. What becomes of the New Eve, the New Creation in the manifesting logic, is the same intelligence of Creation that is present before creation was ever created was even created. Intrinsic to the infallible universe unfailing in logic and spirit and life is the "RI" real intelligence of Creation and is the Will of Creation to manifest immortality and incorruptibility becoming glorified and transfigured as one in being. A "More Abundant" life on earth is from the selected Holy Spirit Will of the Father, the pattern of The Christ, Our brother from the cross. Conceived be the Person of The Holy Spirit becomes The Christ, born immortal and incorruptible through the flesh of The Person of Jesus delivered by the Immaculate Conception in the Virgin Birth of The Christ shared for all mankind. Fulfilled is the failed spirit and life of Adam and Eve. Through the Faith of Abraham, the souls of the Bosom of Abraham are reborn with all mankind from The Christ, resurrection not only the saved souls from the Ark of the Old Covenant, but resurrection of the souls in the New Body, the flesh from the Ark of The New Covenant through the New Adam, the "First" Christ reborn back to The New Heaven and Earth, Heaven for all mankind. We know nothing defiled will enter the kingdom, and any chance of failure is what can become of the "Old" Spirit. The failed pattern of behavior in the "first" spirit can come from and blow to anywhere. The fulfilled intelligence of creation is what is sanctified, sinless, free of error, not able to fail becomes intrinsic from the manifestation through the flesh for the soul of the being by the pattern of the intelligence that will manifest through immortality and incorruptibility becoming again, glorified and transfigured. Through failed Big Bang order, we are created mortal and corrupt becoming immortal and incorruptible and becoming again glorified and transfigured into fulfilled creation as what would Jesus do in all cases of The Faith and Morality of Abraham fulfilled from the promise God made to Abraham and Isaac, God swore by His own name to Abraham and Isaac resurrection life to Him and all of his descendants, eternal life, and God fulfilled His promise through His Son delivered in The Passion of The Christ for all mankind.

Peace always,
Stephen Andrew

Last edited:

PearlSeeker

Empiricism is the ONLY path to knowledge about reality.

Perception is not the only source of knowledge.

"Knowledge can be produced in many ways. The main source of empirical knowledge is perception, which involves the usage of the senses to learn about the external world. Introspection allows people to learn about their internal mental states and processes. Other sources of knowledge include memory, rational intuition, inference, and testimony." (Wiki)

Andrew Stephen

Stephen Andrew
Premium Member
Peace to all,

True, good information, thanks PearlSeeker,

To me in logic, perception is the manifestation of it through the flesh for the soul of the being. In logic to me, what manifests the flesh is from the spirit "Choice" and in the perception felt through all of the senses of mortality, the state of being mortal from the selected works of the flesh. What manifests is from the Power of the spirit moving through the Flesh for the soul of the being and is the intelligence in the "spirit" of the being, manifesting the works of the spirit through the flesh for the soul of the Body. To me in logic, we are saved by the good works of the "Selected" Holy Spirit Will of The Creator God, becoming the image of The Father. Eternal life of the failed mortal and corrupt spirit becomes from the Holy Spirit intelligence that Will never fail. Logically and through Faith, we are reborn into immortality and incorruptibility from failed mortality and corruption as Baptized from the New Spirit through the Flesh for the Soul of Our own "becoming" personal Epiphany, our own Pentecost as Our Christ as in all mankind, shared in being and is the Will of Creation. Baptism is the sacrament from death to life from the spirit through the flesh for the soul of the being, becoming immortal and incorruptible into the Body of The Christ in all mankind. Baptism allows immortal and incorruptible to become able to die, from transformed immortal and incorruptible to become again as Our Brother, The Christ, re-Sanctified through Sacrifice and in Communion with Him through The Host, the Body and Blood and souls of the Divinity of The Persons of the Holy Spirit and Jesus, together and we become The Christ united with all mankind. And hearing the Words of Absolution, forgiven in Penance for the remission of sins we will become again as one in being together with The Father and The Son glorified and transfigured.

Peace always,
Stephen Andrew

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"the main opposition to rationalism is empiricism, the view that sense experience is the source of knowledge"
  • Rationalism
    The belief that reason and logic are the primary sources of knowledge or intelligence, and that some truths are available to be grasped directly through the intellect, the intelligence. Rationalists believe that knowledge, the intelligence from it, is independent of sensory, transmitted or perceived by the senses or experience. Logically manifestation is through the Will, the Power of the Selected spirit choice.

• Empiricism
    The belief that knowledge or intelligence is created and acquired through experience or choice, the failed state of created knowledge or intelligence of "The First Spirit", and that sense experience is the ultimate source of all knowledge. Empiricism is associated with the idea that the human mind is "blank" at birth and develops its thoughts through experience. The image of the pattern of infallibility becomes the pattern of the selected "spirit" and is the Will of the Selected spirit and manifests life with respect to the intelligence's ability to manifest infallibly, forever without failure. In logic, the undefiled state of intelligence is in the pattern consisting of "Not" failure. Removed in the real intelligence is the pattern consisting of no chance of defilement and internal temptations to fail will not be included becoming the pattern of infallibility. The real intelligence will never fail in eternity and consists of One Unfailing Will, or pattern of behavior as intrinsically infallible. We become as one in being in the unfailing will of creation re-imaged, logically and through the Faith of Abraham, the Father of Faith and Isaac, logically, the "first" Priest and Sacrifice, fulfilled by The Christ, we become reborn and saved.
Was that a reaction to, "Empiricism is the ONLY path to knowledge about reality"?

The empiricist is also a rationalist and respects pure reason (mathematics, philosophy) divorced from experience as a source of knowledge, but not knowledge of external reality until it is applied to observation/experience.
Perception is not the only source of knowledge.

"Knowledge can be produced in many ways. The main source of empirical knowledge is perception, which involves the usage of the senses to learn about the external world. Introspection allows people to learn about their internal mental states and processes. Other sources of knowledge include memory, rational intuition, inference, and testimony." (Wiki)
I'll describe my understanding of these matters. It's a bit long, but I think a helpful framework for understanding what empiricism and knowledge are:

Perception isn't limited to the external senses. That's used to determine how the world outside of ourselves works. This includes both what is considered objective knowledge such as whether it's raining or sunny out, but also subjective knowledge, such as what one considers delicious or beautiful. This is still empirical knowledge even if it doesn't apply to everybody or even anybody else. I like strawberries but not Brussels sprouts. I discovered these facts empirically - by tasting them and evaluating the experience. These are facts for me for as long as my tastes don't change. The conclusions that I like this and not that are inductions drawn from experience, and they are predictable and reproducible.

We also have internal senses. Think of the body as organized into an outer body comprising skin, muscle, bone, tendons and ligaments, the so-called somatic body, which gives the body its form, protects the inner organs, and allows for movement. Our somatic sensory system tells us about the position of our limbs and any movement. We can learn how to use the body to accomplish assorted goals such as playing a music instrument, which is done empirically (through experience) and leads to the acquisition of a different kind of knowledge, a new assortment of inductions and reproducible outcomes.

We also have the visceral body, which is the collection of soft organs such as the heart, lungs, liver, and kidneys. Sensors in these lead reveal problems in those organs such as angina and heartburn. Once again, we can learn from experience that peppermint, for example, causes heartburn. Once again, this empirically discovered and is also a source of subjective knowledge about ourselves.

Then there are the chemosensors, which surveil the body chemistry and tell us for example when we're thirsty (dry/hyperosmolar blood) or short of breath (hypoxemia/low blood oxygen content).

The nervous system is the final compartment. We don't generally receive messages that arise in the spinal cord or peripheral nervous system - it generally is receiving messages from the somatic and visceral body and transmitting them to the brain or directly to muscle as with a patellar reflex (knee jerk) - but when we do experience the nerves without them being stimulated by other tissues, it is generally pathological, such as pain and tingling in the feet from peripheral neuropathy.

And finally, we can consider the brain itself, which is relevant when discussing "memory, rational intuition, inference, and testimony." Intuition shouldn't be called rational, and it isn't knowledge about external reality - just about oneself, like a god intuition or even the irresistible intuition that there exists a reality outside of consciousness. It's intuition when we say we know or think we know but can't say how we know or demonstrate that we are correct.

Moral knowledge is also intuitive. We can only say what we consider right and wrong according to our conscience or lack thereof. We can also acquire subjective but reproducible knowledge about what pleases our conscience and what offends it - what leads to feeling good or bad about one's choices.

We can also acquire knowledge empirically about our memories and our reasoning faculties such as how reliable those memories are and how successful our reasoning processes are. Inference is reasoning, which can be applied to evidence or can be pure reason as with if this then that or mathematics.

I don't know how testimony got into that list, but testimony is acquired through the external senses and its meaning and validity evaluated using reason and memory.

Anyway, altogether, we can acquire knowledge empirically not just about the outside world - so-called objective reality - but also about how our bodies and minds function.

I call an idea knowledge when it accurately anticipates outcomes. Other ideas include intuitions and ideas accepted by faith. These are not knowledge about our common reality or our personal reality by that definition, although many call their nonempirically acquired and untested (and possibly untestable) beliefs knowledge.

You've seen them on RF and elsewhere. They "know" they're going to heaven, or they call empiricists who reject their nonempirical beliefs acquired by special, nonempirical ways of "knowing" guilty of scientism, or the excessive trust in empiricism, when what it is actually is distrust of the results of these special ways of "knowing."

And that's where this subthread began:

He: "you 100% believe that physical evidence is the only pathway to discerning truth."
Me: "Empiricism is the ONLY path to knowledge about reality. I know that you reject that, but you can't successfully rebut it, which is always the case with correct statements."

Something is truth or knowledge or fact or correct just because it is fervently believed. One has to demonstrate empirically that the idea allows one to successfully predict outcomes. Whatever can do that can be called truth, fact, correct, or knowledge, and nothing that can't should be called any of those.

Ostronomos

That might turn out to be correct, but today, there is no evidence of that and no reason to believe it.

Empiricism is the ONLY path to knowledge about reality.

False. Logic is of equal importance.
I know that you reject that, but you can't successfully rebut it, which is always the case with correct statements.
You clearly have a high opinion of yourself. Despite the fact that you are wrong.
Good question, but presently, and perhaps forever, answers aren't available, and guesses have little value.
Yet, they are. I hold truth in high regard. So you know I am telling the truth when I can say that I can lay claim to the fact that I have witnessed the spiritual dimension that the ancients spoke of.
Same answer. You can't have that answer yet, and maybe never. The trick is to learn to be comfortable with agnosticism, or the state of not having such answers and resisting the impulse to guess.
That defeats the purpose of the human mind. It is a cognitive tool that possesses answers to the riddle of existence. Every human brain has the potential to access it. I should know.
You can't give a coherent definition of supernatural. Nobody can. It's an incoherent (internally contradictory) claim about reality.
God is the conscious universe manifesting lower levels of reality such as physical matter. How's that for a definition of God?
It attempts to create a segment of reality to "explain" why something that can't be detected exists anyway. Whatever affects experience can be detected (experienced) and is therefore just another aspect of nature. When we discovered the quantum realm and its seemingly magical properties, we didn't call it supernatural. It is just another aspect of nature. If gods exist, so are they.
Why lower the supernatural world to secondary status? If science discovered the supernatural world, would it not be given primary status over nature?
I did that when I studied the mind-body problem in philosophy, which considers the relationship of mind to matter. There are four logical possibilities, and idealism is one of them. So is materialism, as is neutral monism and Cartesian dualism. None can be ruled in or out, but materialism works well.
I recommend you read the salient work of Donald Hoffman's Multi-user Interface theory. Which says that reality is like a computer in that we do not perceive the underlying programming, but rather the objects or icons.
No conclusions are possible at this time.

Why should a physicist's religious sentiments be of any interest to others? Do you think the skeptic should defer to somebody who assigns a god to nature on a hunch? Why would he?
There is a thoroughly established body of work on God ranging from religion to metaphysics to philosophy. Thus your dismissal is unwarranted.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
False. Logic is of equal importance.
I wrote, "Empiricism is the ONLY path to knowledge about reality." Reason/logic applied to evidence is what empiricism is. Pure reason like mathematics can generate knowledge, but not about nature. Once applied to nature, mathematics becomes part of empiricism.
you are wrong.
I wrote, "I know that you reject that, but you can't successfully rebut it, which is always the case with correct statements."

Then make the counterargument if you have one. Show me a demonstrably correct idea that can be successfully rebutted.

But you won't because you can't. The statement about correct statements is another correct statement. If it weren't you could refute it with a counterexample.
So you know I am telling the truth when I can say that I can lay claim to the fact that I have witnessed the spiritual dimension that the ancients spoke of.
I don't consider that truth, knowledge, or fact. I'm not saying that you're wrong, just that if you can't demonstrate that you are correct, and that there is no reason to assume that you are however fervently you believe what you do. I would also question why you think you've witnessed anything other than your own mind and its imagination.
God is the conscious universe manifesting lower levels of reality such as physical matter. How's that for a definition of God?
I didn't ask for your definition of a god. I wrote, "You can't give a coherent definition of supernatural. Nobody can. It's an incoherent (internally contradictory) claim about reality."

Your definition of a god is not mine. You're guessing that the universe is conscious. Once again, I can't say that you're wrong, but I also can't say that you're right.
If science discovered the supernatural world, would it not be given primary status over nature?
You'll need to address my words on the incoherence of a comment like that to understand my reply. Your question is incoherent, meaning internally self-contradictory.

If something is detectable to science, then that is because it interacted with some aspect of nature, which makes it also nature. Nature, or reality, is the collection of objects and processes occurring in a place during some piece of time capable of affecting and being affected by other real things.

Supernatural means nothing. It means no more than juxtanatural, inferonatural, exonatural, transnatural, protonatural, micronatural, hypernatural, orthonatural, levonatural, holonatural, paranatural, plurinatural, heteronatural, catanatural, seminatural, deuteronatural, quasinatural, sesquinatural, hyponatural, pseudonatural, heminatural, and metanatural. They're all just words that refer to nothing real if they don't meanthe same as natural or part of nature.
I recommend you read the salient work of Donald Hoffman's Multi-user Interface theory. Which says that reality is like a computer in that we do not perceive the underlying programming, but rather the objects or icons.
Your replies to me frequently don't address what was said, which was, "I did that [consider consciousness the primary substance underlying the material world, an epiphenomenon of consciousness] when I studied the mind-body problem in philosophy, which considers the relationship of mind to matter. There are four logical possibilities, and idealism is one of them. So is materialism, as is neutral monism and Cartesian dualism. None can be ruled in or out, but materialism works well."

I don't see the relevance of your comment to mine, which you ignored.
There is a thoroughly established body of work on God ranging from religion to metaphysics to philosophy.
I'm no longer interested in theology. I find no value there.

To be clear, what I mean by theology is thought that is relevant only to a believer in gods. There are academic topics involving religion like comparative religion or the influence of the Bible on history or culture, but they are not theology to me - just discussions that require a god belief to matter.

Andrew Stephen

Stephen Andrew
Premium Member
Peace to all,

“We do not perceive the underlying programming, but rather the objects or icons” is a quote from David Hoffman‘s multi user interface .

Without logic, we cannot see the reality of infallible eternity.

From the real intelligence of creation, what is manifested is the works of the flesh through the intelligence of the unfailing Will of creation, as the Word that becomes flesh in the person of Jesus, conceived through the person of the Holy Spirit as the Christ in all mankind.

Peace always,
Stephen Andrew

PearlSeeker

An outlined version of the 5th Way

1. In our universe we experience regular cause-effect relationships, where causes have specific, determinate effects

2. The only sufficient metaphysical explanation of these cause-effect relationships is the principle of finality, which states that causes are intrinsically directed/ordered to determinate effects as ends

3. In order for a cause to be intrinsically ordered/directed to a determinate effect as to an end, that effect/end must in some sense exist prior to the action of the cause

4. But an effect cannot exist in real being prior to the action of the cause, because then the effect would be prior to its cause, which is absurd

5. So the effect/end must exist in the order of mental being, as an idea, prior to the causal action

6. Hence the ends of all causal actions must exist in some Supreme Intelligence which directs those causes to their ends.

7. These ends are intrinsic to the nature/essence of the beings which act causally, so what directs the beings to their ends must be likewise the cause of the existence of those essences/natures, which (per the Second Way) must be a Being of Pure Act, or Being Itself

8. This is what we call God

Source:

Andrew Stephen

Stephen Andrew
Premium Member
Peace to all,

In Logic the "RI" real intelligence of Creation is what never fails, and not ever failing can only happen one way. The infallible certainty of static in unfailing is the fulfilled intelligence from the first failed "AI" artificial intelligence and includes the spirit of Choice. What is removed in the infallible wisdom is the exclusion of any chance of failure. And infallible logic has only one pattern of certainty. We become from created mortal and corrupt, becoming into the Christ in all mankind transformed immortal and incorruptible as shared in the Will of the Creator God into becoming again glorified and transfigured into the pattern that will never fail, into the image of the Creator God for the Father united as one in being with all mankind.

Peace always,
Stephen Andrew

PearlSeeker

Peace to all,

In Logic the "RI" real intelligence of Creation is what never fails, and not ever failing can only happen one way. The infallible certainty of static in unfailing is the fulfilled intelligence from the first failed "AI" artificial intelligence and includes the spirit of Choice. What is removed in the infallible wisdom is the exclusion of any chance of failure. And infallible logic has only one pattern of certainty. We become from created mortal and corrupt, becoming into the Christ in all mankind transformed immortal and incorruptible as shared in the Will of the Creator God into becoming again glorified and transfigured into the pattern that will never fail, into the image of the Creator God for the Father united as one in being with all mankind.

Peace always,
Stephen Andrew

Believing in the Bible is not based on logic.

Ostronomos

It Aint Necessarily So,

I find your writing to be much too complex for me to parse. So I will address bits and pieces.

I wrote, "Empiricism is the ONLY path to knowledge about reality." Reason/logic applied to evidence is what empiricism is. Pure reason like mathematics can generate knowledge, but not about nature. Once applied to nature, mathematics becomes part of empiricism.

I wrote, "I know that you reject that, but you can't successfully rebut it, which is always the case with correct statements."

Then make the counterargument if you have one. Show me a demonstrably correct idea that can be successfully rebutted.

But you won't because you can't. The statement about correct statements is another correct statement. If it weren't you could refute it with a counterexample.

I don't consider that truth, knowledge, or fact. I'm not saying that you're wrong, just that if you can't demonstrate that you are correct, and that there is no reason to assume that you are however fervently you believe what you do. I would also question why you think you've witnessed anything other than your own mind and its imagination.
The argument in favor of self-deception is a common tactic atheists use to try to discredit theists. However, if one were to open their mind to the very real possibility that the mind is Quantum and its thoughts can affect the reality of the external world in rare instances, then one may begin to see the logic of a God.

Granted you may consider this a leap, but it is like I said the very beginnings of a vast universe of knowledge of metaphysics. You will then leave open room for the reality of metaphysics which I'm privileged to have witnessed. I've even witnessed my thoughts influencing the probability of events unfolding in the real world, where the intensity of the event was as equally faint as most of the thoughts themselves. But this was because my brain went into a higher frequency of consciousness expansion. I speak with authority when I tell you that it was not a deception or trick of the mind.

I've also had spiritual experiences in which I witnessed the universal consciousness responding to me through electromagnetic waves (a phenomenon that hints at the world beyond).
I didn't ask for your definition of a god. I wrote, "You can't give a coherent definition of supernatural. Nobody can. It's an incoherent (internally contradictory) claim about reality."

Your definition of a god is not mine. You're guessing that the universe is conscious. Once again, I can't say that you're wrong, but I also can't say that you're right.

You'll need to address my words on the incoherence of a comment like that to understand my reply. Your question is incoherent, meaning internally self-contradictory.

If something is detectable to science, then that is because it interacted with some aspect of nature, which makes it also nature. Nature, or reality, is the collection of objects and processes occurring in a place during some piece of time capable of affecting and being affected by other real things.

Supernatural means nothing. It means no more than juxtanatural, inferonatural, exonatural, transnatural, protonatural, micronatural, hypernatural, orthonatural, levonatural, holonatural, paranatural, plurinatural, heteronatural, catanatural, seminatural, deuteronatural, quasinatural, sesquinatural, hyponatural, pseudonatural, heminatural, and metanatural. They're all just words that refer to nothing real if they don't meanthe same as natural or part of nature.

Your replies to me frequently don't address what was said, which was, "I did that [consider consciousness the primary substance underlying the material world, an epiphenomenon of consciousness] when I studied the mind-body problem in philosophy, which considers the relationship of mind to matter. There are four logical possibilities, and idealism is one of them. So is materialism, as is neutral monism and Cartesian dualism. None can be ruled in or out, but materialism works well."

I don't see the relevance of your comment to mine, which you ignored.

I'm no longer interested in theology. I find no value there.

To be clear, what I mean by theology is thought that is relevant only to a believer in gods. There are academic topics involving religion like comparative religion or the influence of the Bible on history or culture, but they are not theology to me - just discussions that require a god belief to matter.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The argument in favor of self-deception is a common tactic atheists use to try to discredit theists.
I assume that you are referring to my reference to you misunderstanding your psychological experiences. I'm not trying to discredit you. I just don't believe you. I don't trust your interpretation of your mental states which you describe as experiencing some aspect of external reality but which also might just be an endogenous brain state.

I'm a former zealous Christian who thought that he was experiencing the Holy Spirit during religious services in my first church (I entered the religion at age 19 while in the Army having been an atheist previously). My gifted and charismatic preacher was skilled at inducing euphoria during services, and I understood it supernaturalistically. Upon discharge, I returned home, tried a series of dead congregations (I had been spoiled by the first one), and realized that since the Holy Spirit didn't come with me and only visited me in that one church during services, that I had misunderstood my experience.

Naturally, when I hear people describe what they consider experiences of divinity, I suspect that they are like I was given ow easy it is to make such a mistake and the absence of supporting evidence that it isn't what I suspect.
if one were to open their mind to the very real possibility that the mind is Quantum and its thoughts can affect the reality of the external world in rare instances
My mind is open to anything not known to be impossible, but mere possibility isn't interesting in the absence of good supporting evidence.

Also, I suspect that you mean something different than I do with open-mindedness. If you mean to relax my standards for belief to admit more kinds of ideas to my belief set, the that is not what I am talking about. I am only talking about the willingness to consider an idea and subject it to those criteria before believing.
then one may begin to see the logic of a God.
Once again, I accept the possibility that a god or gods exist, but since one can't go further without making a leap of faith, which I consider an unforced error, I don't. I became agnostic about gods following the experiences described above, which led me back to agnostic atheism. That's as far as one can go without taking a leap of faith, which is the same as guessing. One picks one of two or more possibilities neither of which can be ruled in or out and chooses to treat it like knowledge. That's not for me anymore.
Granted you may consider this a leap, but it is like I said the very beginnings of a vast universe of knowledge of metaphysics. You will then leave open room for the reality of metaphysics which I'm privileged to have witnessed. I've even witnessed my thoughts influencing the probability of events unfolding in the real world, where the intensity of the event was as equally faint as most of the thoughts themselves. But this was because my brain went into a higher frequency of consciousness expansion. I speak with authority when I tell you that it was not a deception or trick of the mind.

I've also had spiritual experiences in which I witnessed the universal consciousness responding to me through electromagnetic waves (a phenomenon that hints at the world beyond).
Even if I were to stipulate to your claim that you have hidden knowledge and are correct, that's not a useful idea, and knowing it would change nothing for me.

Actually, all speculation about what actually lies on the other side of consciousness (metaphysics) is useless

Suppose you discovered for an indisputable fact that the world outside was a simulation or hologram or any of the other similar ideas like Boltzmann brain, brain in a vat, or a matrix. Nevertheless, you still see your hand and finger and a flame on a candle even though you now know they aren't "real." So, you stick your imagined finger into the imagined flame, it burns and hurts as it always had before you know that they weren't "real", you imagine that you quickly withdrew you imagined finger from that imagined flame, and the pain ends. Are you going to do it again, or just go back to the old rules that always worked before and still work now?

I suggest that it's the latter, and that's why knowing what's really out there - maybe nothing if you like radical solipsism - doesn't matter. Let's say that it is whatever you are claiming to have seen. Knowing that doesn't change how you live daily life. All we really need to know about reality is how we experience it, not what we are actually experiencing. All we need to know is that we have desires and preferences, we make decisions, and we experience sensory perceptions of outcomes like the pain of a burning finger.

If Belief B leads to Action A in pursuit of Desired outcome D, and that makes that outcome occur, then we can consider Belief B useful without knowing why. Reality outside of consciousness functions as a black box for us whatever it is.

Everything that I call correct, true, knowledge, or fact about the world (pure reason as with mathematics is also knowledge, but not about the world outside of our imaginations until we apply it to evidence) has passed that empirical test, whereas other kinds of ideas about reality (nonempirically obtained Belief Bs) can't be used that way, including intuitions and unfalsifiable beliefs held by faith, so they have no practical value.

Andrew Stephen

Stephen Andrew
Premium Member
The brilliant minds of the world have thrown in the towel as rational beings, not able to understand eternity from the finite disciplines.

Peace to all,

To me in logic, The Word is present before creation was ever created was ever created as the eternal authority of life and spirit. And The Word becomes flesh conceived in the Person of Jesus as The Christ, through the Power in the Holy Spirit Person to become the intelligence of Creation in the Christ, the immortal and incorruptible Body of Shared Unity becoming all mankind.

Peace always,
Stephen Andrew

Ostronomos

I assume that you are referring to my reference to you misunderstanding your psychological experiences. I'm not trying to discredit you. I just don't believe you. I don't trust your interpretation of your mental states which you describe as experiencing some aspect of external reality but which also might just be an endogenous brain state.

I'm a former zealous Christian who thought that he was experiencing the Holy Spirit during religious services in my first church (I entered the religion at age 19 while in the Army having been an atheist previously). My gifted and charismatic preacher was skilled at inducing euphoria during services, and I understood it supernaturalistically. Upon discharge, I returned home, tried a series of dead congregations (I had been spoiled by the first one), and realized that since the Holy Spirit didn't come with me and only visited me in that one church during services, that I had misunderstood my experience.

Naturally, when I hear people describe what they consider experiences of divinity, I suspect that they are like I was given ow easy it is to make such a mistake and the absence of supporting evidence that it isn't what I suspect.
My inability to properly explain the phenomenon does not make it any less real. But I appreciate your open-mindedness in entertaining the very possibility of the mind-reality equilibrium.

It is unfortunate that your experiences have lead you to blanketly dismiss any and all possibilities of the spirit world. I have had experiences during sleep where I was in another dimension and I felt entities pushing my actual physical body in this matrix reality. I won't go into too much detail but nevertheless I have consistently held on to the memory of the experience.
My mind is open to anything not known to be impossible, but mere possibility isn't interesting in the absence of good supporting evidence.

Also, I suspect that you mean something different than I do with open-mindedness. If you mean to relax my standards for belief to admit more kinds of ideas to my belief set, the that is not what I am talking about. I am only talking about the willingness to consider an idea and subject it to those criteria before believing.

Once again, I accept the possibility that a god or gods exist, but since one can't go further without making a leap of faith, which I consider an unforced error, I don't. I became agnostic about gods following the experiences described above, which led me back to agnostic atheism. That's as far as one can go without taking a leap of faith, which is the same as guessing. One picks one of two or more possibilities neither of which can be ruled in or out and chooses to treat it like knowledge. That's not for me anymore.
Consider this: if space, time and object are the only things in existence and there are no worlds or universes beyond what we see, then we are truly alone in this existence. But if space, time and object are not the only things in existence, then science has by far a long way to go. And human beings can look forward to much more than their own extinction. But a more evolved destiny with an unforeseeable end.

This is the essence of our teleological evolution.
Even if I were to stipulate to your claim that you have hidden knowledge and are correct, that's not a useful idea, and knowing it would change nothing for me.

Actually, all speculation about what actually lies on the other side of consciousness (metaphysics) is useless

Suppose you discovered for an indisputable fact that the world outside was a simulation or hologram or any of the other similar ideas like Boltzmann brain, brain in a vat, or a matrix. Nevertheless, you still see your hand and finger and a flame on a candle even though you now know they aren't "real." So, you stick your imagined finger into the imagined flame, it burns and hurts as it always had before you know that they weren't "real", you imagine that you quickly withdrew you imagined finger from that imagined flame, and the pain ends. Are you going to do it again, or just go back to the old rules that always worked before and still work now?

I suggest that it's the latter, and that's why knowing what's really out there - maybe nothing if you like radical solipsism - doesn't matter. Let's say that it is whatever you are claiming to have seen. Knowing that doesn't change how you live daily life. All we really need to know about reality is how we experience it, not what we are actually experiencing. All we need to know is that we have desires and preferences, we make decisions, and we experience sensory perceptions of outcomes like the pain of a burning finger.

If Belief B leads to Action A in pursuit of Desired outcome D, and that makes that outcome occur, then we can consider Belief B useful without knowing why. Reality outside of consciousness functions as a black box for us whatever it is.

Everything that I call correct, true, knowledge, or fact about the world (pure reason as with mathematics is also knowledge, but not about the world outside of our imaginations until we apply it to evidence) has passed that empirical test, whereas other kinds of ideas about reality (nonempirically obtained Belief Bs) can't be used that way, including intuitions and unfalsifiable beliefs held by faith, so they have no practical value.

Ponder This

What is inherent in these objects (that "lack intelligence") is directedness toward ends. That means they don't choose and direct any of their actions by themselves. So the intellect that directed things toward ends and purposes is not human and it's not in objects. This intellect determined their natures, essences, forms, powers... so that objects unconsciously strive to reach certain outcomes.
In other words, the intellect that directs them is coming or operating from outside (extrinsic) to the objects ("is not human and not in objects")
unconscious intellect on the other hand would be intrinsic, but unconscious intellect is also not a lack of intellect within the objects themselves. Rather unconscious intellect would be within the objects themselves. For example when the heart beats in a human body, it is automatic and unconscious, but this is directed by an intellect within the human body and within the heart itself.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is unfortunate that your experiences have lead you to blanketly dismiss any and all possibilities of the spirit world.
Then you've misunderstood me. I don't reject the possibility of a spirit world. What I reject is the claims of others that they have experienced a spirit world. I don't say that they haven't, just that it's not a belief I hold due to lack of sufficient evidence that they're correct.

It seems that you would like people like me to go further and consider the idea further or maybe believe some of it without that evidence. I find no value there. I don't want to acquire beliefs that way. What gets added to the belief set if one changes his criteria for belief are false and unfalsifiable ideas. The goal is to keep those out and as best as possible, hold only correct beliefs about how the world works - what's in it, how these things interact with one another and with me in order to successfully anticipate outcomes.
Consider this: if space, time and object are the only things in existence and there are no worlds or universes beyond what we see, then we are truly alone in this existence. But if space, time and object are not the only things in existence, then science has by far a long way to go. And human beings can look forward to much more than their own extinction. But a more evolved destiny with an unforeseeable end.

This is the essence of our teleological evolution.
That doesn't describe teleological evolution to me. There might be other universes, a multiverse, and even gods (sentient universe creators), but none of those mean that evolution is being pulled toward an intended goal.

Once again - and this is the essence of agnosticism for ideas (not just gods and afterlives, but for any question which cannot be answered) - if there are two or more logically possible answers and I can't rule either in or out, I don't guess. Evolution is either directed or undirected. I can't rule out teleological evolution, so I don't it remains a logical possibility, but it is also an idea that deserves no further consideration until there is some discovery which is better explained by intention/intelligence than unintended. We never complicate our narratives with ideas that don't add explanatory or predictive power to the existing paradigm. The most parsimonious narrative that accounts for all of the relevant evidence is the preferred one.

If evolution were falsified, intelligent design would replace the current paradigm, although not necessarily supernaturalistic intelligent design. Naturalistically arising superhuman extraterrestrials remain a more parsimonious account than adding an unneeded supernatural realm to our narrative.

But even that doesn't suggest teleological evolution occurring today or at any time since the extraterrestrials left.

PureX

Veteran Member
Then you've misunderstood me. I don't reject the possibility of a spirit world. What I reject is the claims of others that they have experienced a spirit world. I don't say that they haven't, just that it's not a belief I hold due to lack of sufficient evidence that they're correct.
Ah, that good ole kangaroo court thing, again. :)
It seems that you would like people like me to go further and consider the idea further or maybe believe some of it without that evidence.
How outrageous! Don't they understand that you have ALREADY MADE UP YOUR MIND? Even though you keep denying it?
I find no value there.
Of course not. You've already decided that there is none.
I don't want to acquire beliefs that way. What gets added to the belief set if one changes his criteria for belief are false and unfalsifiable ideas. The goal is to keep those out and as best as possible, hold only correct beliefs about how the world works - what's in it, how these things interact with one another and with me in order to successfully anticipate outcomes.
That right. NO CHANGING BELIEFS! What's the point of having beliefs if anyone can just change them, or disagree with them and still be right?
That doesn't describe teleological evolution to me. There might be other universes, a multiverse, and even gods (sentient universe creators), but none of those mean that evolution is being pulled toward an intended goal.
Evolution is a natural design process that exists to fulfill a goal. And that is what it does. So it's not outrageous for one to claim that the fulfillment of that goal is the intention of that design process.
Once again - and this is the essence of agnosticism for ideas (not just gods and afterlives, but for any question which cannot be answered) - if there are two or more logically possible answers and I can't rule either in or out, I don't guess. Evolution is either directed or undirected. I can't rule out teleological evolution, so I don't it remains a logical possibility,
Yet it's a possibility that you persistently refuse to consider to be possible.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Ah, that good ole kangaroo court thing, again.

How outrageous! Don't they understand that you have ALREADY MADE UP YOUR MIND? Even though you keep denying it?

Of course not. You've already decided that there is none.

That right. NO CHANGING BELIEFS! What's the point of having beliefs if anyone can just change them, or disagree with them and still be right?

Evolution is a natural design process that exists to fulfill a goal. And that is what it does. So it's not outrageous for one to claim that the fulfillment of that goal is the intention of that design process.

Yet it's a possibility that you persistently refuse to consider to be possible.
I guess that post of mine immediately above your reply to it triggered you again. Something about that kind of thinking irritates you. Were you personally offended that I won't go where you and many others go? Are you offended that I have no interest in guessing about gods or embracing teleological evolution? Did you take it personally? Apparently so.

Your lack of insight and self-awareness is stunning. You begin by condemning the judgment of critical thinkers who reject your way of thinking for themselves calling that "kangaroo court" and then begin hopping like a kangaroo yourself in nonstop judgment.

And more of your straw manning, where you claim people believe this and that with zero evidence and then call them liars when they contradict you.

Then you make some faith-based claim about evolution fulfilling a goal as if it or the universe had plans for what should evolve next, as if you could know that even if it were correct, and also without evidentiary support, then once again fail to understand that rejecting insufficiently evidence claims is not the same as refusing to consider an idea. That appears to be too big an idea for you to assimilate.

Look at these two comments:

Me: "Once again - and this is the essence of agnosticism for ideas (not just gods and afterlives, but for any question which cannot be answered) - if there are two or more logically possible answers and I can't rule either in or out, I don't guess. Evolution is either directed or undirected. I can't rule out teleological evolution, so I don't it remains a logical possibility."

You: "Yet it's a possibility that you persistently refuse to consider to be possible."

Really? You can't see that what I wrote contradicts your reply? I guess not.

You and I have had this discussion a dozen times already, and I'm sure that this isn't the last time I'll see you make these claims about kangaroo courts and things that you imagine others think and then call them liars for disagreeing.

I just don't see why you keep doing this, but I don't mind. You demonstrate what is wrong with untethered, undisciplined thinking and emotional posting, and why mine is a better way to evaluate the world, what's true about it, how it works, and how best to accomplish one's goals navigating it.

You're gazing at clouds trying to find images of gods there, arguing that you see them, and that those who don't accept your mode of thought or its conclusions are into "scientism" for rejecting such thought.