• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas "T"

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
Nobody NEEDS this much money. Hey, I have a great idea - let's tax the hell out of them and redistribute a big ol' chunk of that money to other people - whether they are total jerks or not!

Better to tax the companies that are paying these people than tax the people who own the land.

Reptillian

The hotter you are, the more I'll tolerate lip syncing.

Why do I have this odd urge to buy insurance from you?

In the right outfit and with enough makeup, I think I could give Miss Spears a challenge. Perhaps I should sell insurance...I have a cousin who insists that you could save hundreds on your car insurance by switching to Geico. I think hes full of it personally though.

A

angellous_evangellous

Nobody NEEDS this much money. Hey, I have a great idea - let's tax the hell out of them and redistribute a big ol' chunk of that money to other people - whether they are total jerks or not!

I disagree.

If we didn't pay so much for oil, their royalties would not be as big. That's the best way to solve that problem. I'm sure that they have to give 30% or more to uncle Sam anyway.

I like that ordinary people like my friends are striking it rich on oil from their land. It will open up opportunities for their family for generations that only the elite in our society enjoy. It's almost like a re-distribution of wealth. But it's funded by every American who uses pertroleum products.

Reptillian

That'll drive up the cost of the fuel. Tax the land owners...hell...take their land & give it to me.

I'd suppose one solution would be to tax everyone based on the rate at which they earn money. In essence this would be like placing a cap on how much money a person can earn per year.

Reptillian

Look on the bright side.
No one in the UK has mineral rights with their property. No matter what is found.

I didn't know that...interesting...so If you find gold or diamonds in your back yard, then they belong to the queen or the local bishop or what?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I disagree.

If we didn't pay so much for oil, their royalties would not be as big. That's the best way to solve that problem. I'm sure that they have to give 30% or more to uncle Sam anyway.

I like that ordinary people like my friends are striking it rich on oil from their land. It will open up opportunities for their family for generations that only the elite in our society enjoy. It's almost like a re-distribution of wealth. But it's funded by every American who uses pertroleum products.

Well, here in the US we pay 1/2 or less for gasoline products than in nearly all European countries and Japan, and quite a bit less than in Canada, Australia, Mexico and most of central and South America, so I'm not complaining. (Take a look at this list and let me know if you want to live in most of the countries which pay less than we do.)
Gasoline prices statistics - countries compared - NationMaster

A

angellous_evangellous

Well, here in the US we pay 1/2 or less for gasoline products than in nearly all European countries and Japan, and quite a bit less than in Canada, Australia, Mexico and most of central and South America, so I'm not complaining. (Take a look at this list and let me know if you want to live in most of the countries which pay less than we do.)
Gasoline prices statistics - countries compared - NationMaster

That's because these countries want less emmissions.

Perhaps I was wrong in my earlier statement: if gas prices were higher, people would buy less, and perhaps this would drive down the cost of royalties.

Kathryn

Wow, you really think that people would buy less gas if the prices were higher?

I don't know of many people who buy gas recreationally. For most people, the cost of gas is pretty utilitarian. Most people buy gas in order to drive back and forth to work most days, or to simply take care of their business, rather than buying gas to go on vacation or put in their boat or RV. Sure - people buy gas for those reasons but the vast majority of gas bought is work and industry related.

We don't live in a country that lends itself well to vast systems of public transportation. We're too spread out.

A

angellous_evangellous

Wow, you really think that people would buy less gas if the prices were higher?

It's working in Europe. :shrug:

They have been the world leaders in having one car per family, developing fuel efficient cars and public transportation, and using bikes and such to get to work.

Smoke

Done here.
We don't live in a country that lends itself well to vast systems of public transportation. We're too spread out.
No we're not. We're a big country, but very few people have to get from, say, Miami to Atlanta on their daily commute. Public transportation is as practical for us as it is for anybody else.

Kathryn

It's working in Europe. :shrug:

They have been the world leaders in having one car per family, developing fuel efficient cars and public transportation, and using bikes and such to get to work.

What works in very crowded countries and metropolitan areas doesn't work well in areas with fewer people which are spread out more.

That's exactly my point (to Smoke as well).

Let's talk about riding a bike to work - here it's over 100 degrees most days in the summer (unlike most of Europe). I would be a hot mess of sweat if I rode my bike to work every day. I doubt that most Europeans who are riding their bike to work every day are commuting 10 or more miles per day.

OK, so let's look at one vehicle per family. Hmmm, how would that work for me? My husband drives 100 miles or more every day - in his truck. He leaves at 4 am most days. I guess he can drop me off at the bank and I can hang out till 8 am - and then he can pick me back up in the parking lot at 7.

Or maybe I should just drive my own FUEL EFFICIENT vehicle. Yes, that's a better idea.

Can't really carpool with my co workers - we all live miles apart and in four different directions - because we live in a rural area.

And how would public transportation work in a rural or sparsely populated area - or in small town USA?

A

angellous_evangellous

What works in very crowded countries and metropolitan areas doesn't work well in areas with fewer people which are spread out more.

That's exactly my point (to Smoke as well).

Let's talk about riding a bike to work - here it's over 100 degrees most days in the summer (unlike most of Europe). I would be a hot mess of sweat if I rode my bike to work every day. I doubt that most Europeans who are riding their bike to work every day are commuting 10 or more miles per day.

OK, so let's look at one vehicle per family. Hmmm, how would that work for me? My husband drives 100 miles or more every day - in his truck. He leaves at 4 am most days. I guess he can drop me off at the bank and I can hang out till 8 am - and then he can pick me back up in the parking lot at 7.

Or maybe I should just drive my own FUEL EFFICIENT vehicle. Yes, that's a better idea.

Can't really carpool with my co workers - we all live miles apart and in four different directions - because we live in a rural area.

And how would public transportation work in a rural or sparsely populated area - or in small town USA?

That's precisely the point. Our infrastructure is not conducive to high fuel costs, and we are therefore unmotivated to change. If oil prices made current infrastructure obsolete (instead of the other way around), then we would have motivation to re-organize our infrastructure.

Kathryn

That's precisely the point. Our infrastructure is not conducive to high fuel costs, and we are therefore unmotivated to change. If oil prices made current infrastructure obsolete (instead of the other way around), then we would have motivation to re-organize our infrastructure.

OK I'll just lay it right out on the table.

Call me an Ugly American if you want, but I don't want to live in a metropolitan area and have to rely on public transportation.

I don't want to ride my bike to work in an area where the temperature is usually over 90 degrees during the day for months on end.

I don't want to hassle with carpools with coworkers who live 10 or even 25 miles from me. I don't want my husband and I to be forced to juggle our very diverse work schedules in order to use just one vehicle.

And I don't see how public transportation is feasible in sparcely populated areas, rural areas, or most of small town America.

A

angellous_evangellous

OK I'll just lay it right out on the table.

Call me an Ugly American if you want, but I don't want to live in a metropolitan area and have to rely on public transportation.

I don't want to ride my bike to work in an area where the temperature is usually over 90 degrees during the day for months on end.

I don't want to hassle with carpools with coworkers who live 10 or even 25 miles from me. I don't want my husband and I to be forced to juggle our very diverse work schedules in order to use just one vehicle.

And I don't see how public transportation is feasible in sparcely populated areas, rural areas, or most of small town America.

They already have rural public transportation. :shrug:

And I didn't say that I want high gas prices. I was just musing on how we could decrease royalties, which is something that I don't even want to do.

But while we're at it, I would like to see how creative we can be before oil and natural gases are completely depleted, which will happen within the next hundred years if we keep consuming at the rate that we are now.

If we don't restructure until then, we will be severely weakened and open to attack from adversaries who have alternative fuel sources.

note: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_depletion

Last edited by a moderator:

Kathryn

They already have rural public transportation.

This is not widespread - unless you're counting taxi services and some services for the elderly or disabled.

But while we're at it, I would like to see how creative we can be before oil and natural gases are completely depleted, which will happen within the next hundred years if we keep consuming at the rate that we are now.

If we don't restructure until then, we will be severely weakened and open to attack from adversaries who have alternative fuel sources.

I agree that we should invest in research and development of alternative fuels, and our federal, state, and local governments provide many tax incentives, grants and low interest loans to encourage companies to invest in research and development.