• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 613 commandments?

Dova85

the ten commandments?

is there not 613 commandments?

we all know that the ten commandments came from mosses correct?

here is the question:

why is there 613 commandments in the bible, and the christian religion only uses ten of them?

question 2:

why do Christians pick and choose what they want to believe?

jasonwill2

the ten commandments?

here is the question:

why is there 613 commandments in the bible, and the christian religion only uses ten of them?

question 2:

That's a good question. Some say that the covenant was broken and a new one with Jesus made. But if that's true then they shouldn't have a problem with things like homosexuality. The Christian Bible doesn't say what to do away with and what not to, but implies that the old covenant was broken with the vision the one apostle saw about dietary laws as a metaphor for letting a gentile in or whatever.

man, it's been a long time since I've read that part of the Christian bible

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
the ten commandments?

here is the question:

question 2:

There are a lot of answers here, but I will start with question 2, as it is the most easy.

Christians pick and choose what they want to believe for the same reasons why everyone else does. It fits them. And it fits them because they were conditioned to believe them, because it makes them feel good, or because they simply want to. We all do it at some time or another.

To put it simply, it is not just Christians who do this.

Now, to the first multiplicity of questions. Yes, there are 613 commandments. All of these are not for Christians though. They are for Jews, and only Jews. So really, Christians never had to actually follow these.

Why they choose to follow the Ten, it probably has quite a bit to do with those being the ones that Jesus puts an emphasis on. Not to mention, they are pretty standard rules.

Super Universe

Defender of God
the ten commandments?

here is the question:

question 2:

Humans love to make rules, it makes them feel powerful. What's the point of being in charge if you don't make a rule or two, or three, or ten?

God's commandments are the physical laws which are unbreakable.

The ten commandments, or 613, whatever, are human rules applied to other humans of the community in order to control them and force them to stay within the imposed cultural/religious limits.

jasonwill2

Humans love to make rules, it makes them feel powerful. What's the point of being in charge if you don't make a rule or two, or three, or ten?

God's commandments are the physical laws which are unbreakable.

The ten commandments, or 613, whatever, are human rules applied to other humans of the community in order to control them and force them to stay within the imposed cultural/religious limits.

Darn it, now you make me want to take over one of those 4 square-mile countries and start my own Satanic theocracy!

outhouse

Atheistically
the ten commandments?

here is the question:

question 2:

all of these commandments have influences from previous religions.

the egyptian book of the dead has almost identical commandments

and the Sumerians/Mesopotamians have almost identical commandments

Both previous and existing text prior to the israelite versions

outhouse

Atheistically

because that is the the foundation of chrsitianity

they are a sect of judaism founded by romans who took what they wanted from judaism to form their own religion

jasonwill2

I see a pattern here... but who are the original? I have heard that the Sumerians are likely the first civilization ever, are they the original writers then, to be passed on to successive empires?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I see a pattern here... but who are the original? I have heard that the Sumerians are likely the first civilization ever, are they the original writers then, to be passed on to successive empires?

For the Jewish laws, the Jews were the originators of a number of them. Many others probably had no originator, they were simply common sense (as in, you kill your own group, you end up having no group). Others were created as a need arose.

We see many of these laws appearing in areas that are not connected at all, with primitive tribes, nomadic groups, etc. There was no need for an originator in many cases.

outhouse

Atheistically

Well both Sumerian and Egyptian cultures are very very old.

Both influenced Israelites, but the Mesopotamians had the heaviest influence to the point much of the early OT is heavily influenced by this culture in much of its mythology.

There is no doubt about the Mesopotamian influnece on the Israelite culture.

It wasnt passed on but more common knowledge in the area, as FB state's the Israelites later developped some of their own to add to the previous commandments that matched their cultural needs, but the foundation is definately Mesopotamian in origin in this case.

You can look up the Egyptian book's of the dead. this will show you how many were very simular.

jasonwill2

For the Jewish laws, the Jews were the originators of a number of them. Many others probably had no originator, they were simply common sense (as in, you kill your own group, you end up having no group). Others were created as a need arose.

We see many of these laws appearing in areas that are not connected at all, with primitive tribes, nomadic groups, etc. There was no need for an originator in many cases.

Fair enough for many of the laws, however I suspect some were not in all cultures.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Fair enough for many of the laws, however I suspect some were not in all cultures.

Some definitely werent in all cultures and are more unique to Ancient Israel. But as we see in nearly all societies, laws are created because of a presumed need.

Israelite version? Whatta, I thought Israel as country was "made" just in the last century. 1948 If you care. It would be more correct to say the Jewish version.

But yes, the christian version came from the Jewish, but modified by Europeans. And the Jewish version from the Ancient Egyptians.

outhouse

Atheistically
Israelite version? Whatta, I thought Israel as country was "made" just in the last century. 1948 If you care. It would be more correct to say the Jewish version.

But yes, the christian version came from the Jewish, but modified by Europeans. And the Jewish version from the Ancient Egyptians.

well your wrong my friend

judaism didnt exist 1200 BC

proto Israelites however did. In anthropology, when one is discussing this ancient culture the proper term is Israelite

the Egyptian Merneptah Stele dated a nomadic people and called these people Is I.si.ri.ar

well your wrong my friend

judaism didnt exist 1200 BC

proto Israelites however did. In anthropology, when one is discussing this ancient culture the proper term is Israelite

the Egyptian Merneptah Stele dated a nomadic people and called these people Is I.si.ri.ar

Ok, If you quote the source then I can comprehend. But I can also make a statement as it can be biased information. Aside that, I.si.ri.ar reminds me of Syria, :). Maybe Egyptians called that way to nomadic people in actual Syria, but Israel? I do not see it feasible enough.

outhouse

Atheistically
Ok, If you quote the source then I can comprehend. But I can also make a statement as it can be biased information. Aside that, I.si.ri.ar reminds me of Syria, :). Maybe Egyptians called that way to nomadic people in actual Syria, but Israel? I do not see it feasible enough.

well im sorry but there is no question and my post is followed by almost all cultural anthropology.

why dont you wiki "Merneptah stele" and study yourself instead of questioning my post in which you know nothing about?

About that the region is now known as Israel and his people Israelites, there is no doubt. I never mean the contrary or so. What I say is that 1200 BC there were no "israelites", and you should agree on that obligatorily, for it's the pure truth.

outhouse

Atheistically
About that the region is now known as Israel and his people Israelites, there is no doubt. I never mean the contrary or so. What I say is that 1200 BC there were no "israelites", and you should agree on that obligatorily, for it's the pure truth.

im not really in disagreement with that statement. pure truth no.

in 1200 BC there were proto Israelites compromised of dsplaced Cannanites that were still semi nomadic, with no different cultural markers from Cannanites.

In the following few hundreds years many semeitc displaced people moved to these highlands, many from Mesopotamia that joined the displaced Cannanites and as well including some possible Egyptians or escaped slaves or tribes, but the minority for sure as the exodus mythology has no historicity as written.