• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The afterlife - an argument for why the Christian God may be racist/culturalist?

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
So what, can I be an Atheist or a Wiccan and still get into your versions of heaven? Can I be a secular philosopher in partial disagreement with Jesus?

According to scripture, "the wages sin pays is death". So death is the penalty for sin. Those in their graves have paid the price for any sin committed in this life.
People choose different paths for different reasons. God know what those reasons are....he also knows the heart that chose them. This is why judgment is not based on what appears to the eyes. It's not about empty performance of religious ritual......it's about love....genuine love for God and our fellow humans.

The "unrighteous" are promised a resurrection along with the "righteous" (John 5:28, 29) and these enter into a "judgment" period where hopefully education and the right environment will facilitate a change in attitude and conduct. God is not a fiend. He wants to forgive but when Christendom invented its "hellfire" doctrine, they killed the kind God and introduced a cruel dictator.
By the choices we make now, we are actually creating our own destiny.

It is the "wicked" that God does not want in his kingdom, not the misled or the uninformed. He is about education and who can deny that we are the most educated we have have ever been? The Internet supplies information about any subject and it is virtually available to all in some way. There is no longer any excuse for ignorance. The truth is out there and people are either choosing it or rejecting it.

This generation is living in a judgment period. When Christ comes as judge, he will "separate the sheep from the goats". One group will qualify for life...the other for death. A wicked person in God's eyes is one who is presented with the truth, but their heart prevents them from accepting it.

How many wicked people are there alive at this time? How many will survive the judgment? Only God knows.

catch22

What if you have begun with a wrong premise?

What if there is no afterlife at all, meaning that the place Christendom calls "hell" does not exist, and everyone who has died since Abel is sleeping peacefully in their graves awaiting the return of Christ who will then resurrect them as he promised? (John 5:28, 29) A chosen few will go to heaven to assist Christ in his role as king and priest (Rev 20:6) but the majority of mankind...especially those who never had a chance to hear about God or his Christ, will be restored to life in paradise conditions here on earth. (Rev 21:2-5)

Christ's sacrifice has given them forgiveness of their sins and they have a fresh start to begin life again in a new world where there is no crime or injustice. (2 Pet 3: 13) Everyone will learn about the true God and be given opportunity to enjoy the paradise conditions that we should have had at the beginning......what Adam lost for the human race, is what Jesus came to get us back....this is what the Bible actually teaches....Christendom has wandered off the path so far that she does not teach any of this, so any wonder her teachings make people mad at God. o_O

Ah, a universalist. I had no idea that's what your cult preached. Yes, well, all of this is fine and dandy, but you need to keep studying your book and not cherry picking around the simple truths. It would help if you didn't use a widely recognized heretical copy of the Holy Bible, too.

You quote Revelation 21, yet overlook the passages right before.

Revelation 20:11-15 said:
11 Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away. And there was found no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books. 13 The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works. 14 Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.15 And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.

You claim to follow Christ, and ignore the fact He spoke about hell 50 or so times in the New Testament. Did your rendering of the text remove those as well, similar to how it altered the meaning of John 1:1?

We can go into an indepth bible study on if that hell (for the masses) referenced is eternal torment or eternal death, that is annihilation, but your whole premise about no afterlife is completely ludicrous. That would suggest that Jesus, who talked about hell more than anyone else in the bible, was teaching about something that didn't even matter?

Yes, we do not subscribe to Christendom's version of Christianity at all. We believe that they are the weeds that Jesus foretold...a complete apostasy from his truth. They misrepresent the God they claim to worship.

It's quite ironic you don't even realize that is actually you. James 3:1. Revelation 22:18-19. Deuteronomy 4:2. Proverbs 30:5-6.

JayJayDee said:
Since God designed humans to live forever on earth, then why would he take them to heaven after a miserable life on earth? This is not a training ground for heaven. What do people expect to do there?

Um, what? Wait, didn't you quote Revelation 21:2 earlier? Did you really not read the first verse?

Yeah, I mean, I guess He intended us to dwell here forever, except He completely scrapes it and makes a new one. Are you suggesting, perhaps, He didn't see that coming?

...Oh tricky humans, putting the jukes on the Almighty!

JayJayDee said:
Jesus came to teach us about his Father...the truth, not a twisted human view of who he is and what he has done. He showed us how to live and how to worship his Father acceptably. He was patient and kind but he did not tolerate any misrepresentation of his loving Father, whom Christendom portrays as a fiendish torturer of wicked soul in eternal flames....who could love such a god?!

His wonderful purpose is clearly stated in the Bible and it will be carried out. Everlasting life in paradise is what we lost, and that is what we get back.

It isn't more complicated than that.

Except that this is all blatantly wrong. You think God made you to enjoy paradise? Is that the human purpose God had in mind for you? And oops, someone spilled some milk and darn-nabbit, we're missing out now? Let's all get back to the paradise we're owed ... ??

Jesus just came to teach us about the Father, eh? Wrong. Jesus came to die for us.

While He was here, He did many things, including teaching us how to pray and teaching us about His Father. But He came to lay down His life for us so we wouldn't need to die. He died in our places so we can avoid eternal death.

You know, the thing you skipped over in Revelation 20, the white throne (which is judgment), where people not found in the book of life get tossed into the big lake of fire (whose thirst is never quenched)? Yeah. Your reference to John 5:28-29 is talking about those who inherit eternal life by believing in Jesus, and the other people to go into the lake.

Nothing more, nothing less. You either believe and inherit eternal life to the glory of God, or you die in your sin.

In other words, yes, you can miss out.

According to scripture, "the wages sin pays is death". So death is the penalty for sin. Those in their graves have paid the price for any sin committed in this life.
People choose different paths for different reasons. God know what those reasons are....he also knows the heart that chose them. This is why judgment is not based on what appears to the eyes. It's not about empty performance of religious ritual......it's about love....genuine love for God and our fellow humans.

Judgment is indeed simple, but those resting in death are not in the process of paying for sin -- it's not a layaway program. You either sinned, or you didn't (in thought or deed). If you sin, you die and live with the punishment of sin, which is death... which is eternal, just like life. If you don't believe in Christ, you are dead in your sin. John 8:23-24.

So in Christ, we inherit eternal life. Otherwise... we die in our sin.

I'm sorry the truth is rough, but the truth is the truth. Re-inventing Jesus to fit your perspective is not the way to go here, I assure you.

JayJayDee said:
The "unrighteous" are promised a resurrection along with the "righteous" (John 5:28, 29) and these enter into a "judgment" period where hopefully education and the right environment will facilitate a change in attitude and conduct. God is not a fiend. He wants to forgive but when Christendom invented its "hellfire" doctrine, they killed the kind God and introduced a cruel dictator.

By the choices we make now, we are actually creating our own destiny.

It is the "wicked" that God does not want in his kingdom, not the misled or the uninformed. He is about education and who can deny that we are the most educated we have have ever been? The Internet supplies information about any subject and it is virtually available to all in some way. There is no longer any excuse for ignorance. The truth is out there and people are either choosing it or rejecting it.

Everything you said here is unscriptural. Are you just making this stuff up as you go? There's no in-between extra dimensional learn your lesson playground that God re-educates people who hate Him, deny Him, and choose to live apart from Him. If there was, He would have mentioned it, don't you think...?

Can you show me where any of this is mentioned in scripture?

As for being misled, Jesus talked a lot about being aware of false teachers, He even rightly predicts a bunch will come after Him. The epistles of John encourage you to "test the spirits" (1 John 4). Or is all that not important either, like hell you know, which He constantly brought up all the time? Is that one of those not-so-important teachings from Jesus, too?

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Looks like the Jehovah's Witness is doing a better job of "witnessing" in this battle!!

amorphous_constellation

There's no in-between extra dimensional learn your lesson playground that God re-educates people who hate Him, deny Him, and choose to live apart from Him.

Alright, you've addressed the Jehovah's Witness but I'm not really interested in that right now. If you believe in a narrower way, what's your rebuttal for everything I've said?

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
Ah, a universalist. I had no idea that's what your cult preached.
No, not universalists....annihilationists (for want of a better term).....and we are no more a cult than what Jesus and his disciples were. Would you suggest that Protestantism is a cult of Roman Catholicism? Tell me what the difference is between a sect and a cult......then tell me what difference God sees?

In the Bible, eternal death is the opposite of eternal life. This is what God placed before his people....life or death, not heaven or hell. (Deut 30:19, 20)

We do not believe in an afterlife of any description because the Bible simply does not teach it. Resurrection is the Bible's teaching. There is no immortal soul that flits off to destinations unknown when humans die. When Christendom adopted this notion from the pagan Greeks, they then had to invent places for these "souls" to go. Some of theses places were very imaginative, but not Biblical. God did not give humans a separate spiritual part of them to go on living after death...why would he? We are material creatures who were designed to live forever on a material earth. Everything that we needed to keep us alive was provided by the Creator in abundance. It was not meant to end. The means to keep humans living forever was there in the garden. (Gen 3:22-24)

Yes, well, all of this is fine and dandy, but you need to keep studying your book and not cherry picking around the simple truths. It would help if you didn't use a widely recognized heretical copy of the Holy Bible, too.
LOL "widely recognised by whom"....those who are themselves heretics? o_O

Please don't tell me you only use the KJV or I will have to point out the countless 'heresies' in your own Bible. How boring.

You quote Revelation 21, yet overlook the passages right before.
We have studied all of Revelation very thoroughly and overlook none of it.

Revelation 21 is what we can expect with the rule of the kingdom, "New Jerusalem", is seen coming to earth from heaven. God's tabernacle is then to be with "men" and he will spread his tent over them in loving protection from any further harm from the devil and his evil reign. (1 John 5:19)

You claim to follow Christ, and ignore the fact He spoke about hell 50 or so times in the New Testament. Did your rendering of the text remove those as well, similar to how it altered the meaning of John 1:1?

What Greek word is used in your "proper" Bible when Jesus spoke of this "hell"? Would that be "hades"?....."gehenna" ?.......or "tartarus" perhaps?

We can go into an indepth bible study on if that hell (for the masses) referenced is eternal torment or eternal death, that is annihilation, but your whole premise about no afterlife is completely ludicrous. That would suggest that Jesus, who talked about hell more than anyone else in the bible, was teaching about something that didn't even matter?

By all means let's talk about the Bible's "hell". :)

It's quite ironic you don't even realize that is actually you. James 3:1. Revelation 22:18-19. Deuteronomy 4:2. Proverbs 30:5-6.

Of course it is :rolleyes:......only problem is we weren't around almost 2,000 years ago when the weeds first put in their appearance. The apostles said that the apostasy was beginning way back then. It came into full bloom with the declaration of Roman Catholicism as the state religion of Rome and it has been degenerating and fragmenting ever since. Surely you can't be suggesting that the fractured, bickering disunity of Christendom is true Christianity.....can you? :eek:

It was only at the harvest time that the wheat would be seen as distinctly different to the weeds. Since Jesus said that "few" are found on the road to life, we cannot expect true Christians to be in the majority, can we? Many will claim to be, but Jesus will not recognise them. (Matt 7:13, 14, 21-23)

Um, what? Wait, didn't you quote Revelation 21:2 earlier? Did you really not read the first verse?
I did...did you?

Yeah, I mean, I guess He intended us to dwell here forever, except He completely scrapes it and makes a new one. Are you suggesting, perhaps, He didn't see that coming?
Not so fast.....why would he need to scrap this earth and make a new planet? There is nothing wrong with this one. Its perfect. It's the humans living on it that need replacing.

Proverbs 2:21-22...."For the upright will live in the land And the blameless will remain in it; But the wicked will be cut off from the land And the treacherous will be uprooted from it."

God spoke of a "new heaven and a new earth" once before, but it had nothing to do with a new planet or a new universe. He was speaking about the restoration of the Jews to their homeland after their exile in Babylon. They would live in a renewed land with God's rulership over them once again. That was the new earth and the new heaven. (Isa 65:17-23)

God eliminated wicked humans once before in Noah's day but he did not destroy the planet....just ungodly, wicked humanity upon it, then the apostle Peter used it and also the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah as examples of what God will do again.

2 Peter 2:4-6...."For if God did not spare angels when they sinned.....and did not spare the ancient world, but preserved Noah, a preacher of righteousness, with seven others, when He brought a flood upon the world of the ungodly; and if He condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to destruction by reducing them to ashes, having made them an example to those who would live ungodly lives thereafter"

Ecclesiastes 1:4...."A generation goes and a generation comes, But the earth remains forever."

If these are the examples then the earth is not going anywhere....it will be just the wicked who will be dispatched. (Matt 24:36-39)

Except that this is all blatantly wrong. You think God made you to enjoy paradise? Is that the human purpose God had in mind for you? And oops, someone spilled some milk and darn-nabbit, we're missing out now? Let's all get back to the paradise we're owed ... ??

Isaiah 55:11..."So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It will not return to Me empty, Without accomplishing what I desire, And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it."

Jesus just came to teach us about the Father, eh? Wrong. Jesus came to die for us.
I believe that is a given. But it wasn't all he came to do.

While He was here, He did many things, including teaching us how to pray and teaching us about His Father. But He came to lay down His life for us so we wouldn't need to die. He died in our places so we can avoid eternal death.

Who is "we"?

And now you're talking about "eternal death"....please explain.

You know, the thing you skipped over in Revelation 20, the white throne (which is judgment), where people not found in the book of life get tossed into the big lake of fire (whose thirst is never quenched)? Yeah. Your reference to John 5:28-29 is talking about those who inherit eternal life by believing in Jesus, and the other people to go into the lake.

No sorry I don't buy that. Those mentioned in John 5:28, 29 are the "righteous and the unrighteous" who are resurrected at the same time. These are not those who will rule with Christ in his his kingdom because theirs is "the first resurrection" and all will be raised as "kings and priests" to take their positions in heaven. The rulership of the kingdom lasts for 1,000 years. (Rev 20:6)

No one goes to heaven before these ones except Jesus (John 3:13) and they do not get their resurrection until Christ's return. That means that all sleep in death until that time. No one went anywhere. They didn't have to.

1 Thessalonians 4:13-17...."But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope........For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord."

Nothing more, nothing less. You either believe and inherit eternal life to the glory of God, or you die in your sin.

In other words, yes, you can miss out.

I agree, we can miss out, but only if we turn our back on God or put another god in his place.

Judgment is indeed simple, but those resting in death are not in the process of paying for sin -- it's not a layaway program. You either sinned, or you didn't (in thought or deed). If you sin, you die and live with the punishment of sin, which is death... which is eternal, just like life. If you don't believe in Christ, you are dead in your sin. John 8:23-24.

So in Christ, we inherit eternal life. Otherwise... we die in our sin.

Strange, but you seem to be agreeing with us. The wages sin pays is death. Those who have died have paid sin's wages. Christ's sacrifice makes a return to life possible for even the unrighteous. The wicked, on the other hand...these will never see life again. Only God knows who is truly wicked. Ignorance has never been held against anyone. That would be contrary to Jehovah's justice. If there is no law, there can be no conviction.

Romans 5:13...."for until the Law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law."
The law was given to Israel, not to any other nation. Those ignorant of the law cannot be tried by it. God uses another criteria. (Rom 2:12-15)

I'm sorry the truth is rough, but the truth is the truth. Re-inventing Jesus to fit your perspective is not the way to go here, I assure you.
Oh, you are funny. We did not reinvent Jesus....Christendom did that by turning him into God Almighty, which is a blasphemy of the highest order. They then turned him into a fiendish monster roasting people alive in flames that never die. Ugh! What a horrid God! He said such a thing would never occur to him. (Jer 7:31)

We just put Jesus back where he was in the big scheme of things....as the precious "only begotten son of God", which was all he ever claimed to be. Even in heaven, Jesus is still subservient to the will of his God and Father. (Rev 3:12)

Everything you said here is unscriptural. Are you just making this stuff up as you go? There's no in-between extra dimensional learn your lesson playground that God re-educates people who hate Him, deny Him, and choose to live apart from Him. If there was, He would have mentioned it, don't you think...?
Can you show me where any of this is mentioned in scripture?

It was prophesied in Isa 11:6-9.....it pertains to the earth, not heaven.

Isaiah 11:9...."They will not hurt or destroy in all My holy mountain, For the earth will be full of the knowledge of the Lord As the waters cover the sea."
Knowledge is what will be imparted to man in all the earth....the best knowledge of all.

As for being misled, Jesus talked a lot about being aware of false teachers, He even rightly predicts a bunch will come after Him. The epistles of John encourage you to "test the spirits" (1 John 4). Or is all that not important either, like hell you know, which He constantly brought up all the time? Is that one of those not-so-important teachings from Jesus, too?

As a Jew, Jesus had the Jewish view of "hell" (Sheol hades) not the Catholic view. I do hope you know the difference.

Please start a thread on the "hell" Jesus spoke about and I will be happy to participate. ;)

Last edited:

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
Well I didn't know Jehovah's Witnesses held to those kinds of beliefs, if so, well you can discount what I am saying here and I have no argument with you.

I am here to clear up misconceptions. :)

Most people discount us without ever understanding what it is that we believe.
I agree with your argument. ;)

amorphous_constellation

I'll state up front, I've never read the New Testament. However, I imagine it would have been far easier to move west than east at this time. Nevertheless, it doesn't support the notion that Christianity is, or has ever been, specifically European.

Well it might be worth a quick read, seems pretty essential for debating this stuff. If you look in there, all the canonized material is of people very specifically heading west. To Rome, to Greece, to Anatolia. There is scarcely a mention of anything else. Peter was the first pope, he was martyred in Rome. Some of the oldest Christian churches are in Rome and Greece, and other places in Europe. That's part of what makes Europe markedly intertwined with Christianity.

And it wasn't easy at all going west. Paul got shipwrecked, there was a thing on a documentary about how hard sea-going could be on the Mediterranean, I guess you get out there with those ancient boats and that wind can just knock you wherever it wants if weather's not cheerful.

Are Christians in Africa concentrated anywhere? Well, Sub-Saharan Africa is predominantly Christian. That's an area over double the size of Europe.

Looks like it's triple the size of Europe to my eye.

I am. I'm also aware that most Egyptians were nevertheless not Greek. The Copts, the Nubians...

This says Alexandria had a population of 300,000.

Other pages say like 500,000 to 700,000. So all over the place. This claims that Alexandria once had 150,000 Greeks.
So in if both those sites are correct, Alexandria would have been half Greek. Now if look it up they also say Alexandria had a numerous Jewish population as well. I thought it was well established that Alexandria was a colonial city and was home to many outsiders.

Christianity can hardly be said to be found in Europe, by your logic. Christianity is found on every continent of the globe with large numbers of adherents. This makes it a global religion, by my reckoning.

Well, even if they are 'large' why are they minorities some places and majorities in others.

Kosovo and Albania, while Estonia, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, France, the UK, Finland, the Netherlands, Belarus, Russia, Bulgaria, Latvia, Belgium, Hungary, Slovenia, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, Lithuania, Ukraine and Slovakia

I bet every single one of the those countries has a 1000 foot tall gloomy lichen encrusted cathedral that is over 1000 years old.

During the 500s, it was officially Christian for a period, some argue. Certainly the king's wife and son were both Christians. Persians were among those converted at Pentecost, so Christianity has had a presence there since the apostolic age.

Some argue. I'd have to know who is arguing for that. Which apostle went to Persia? Look at the list on this page. Most every single one of them moved west.

Some idea, sure. But I think most Christians and most Muslims would believe in at least the possibility for non-Christians/non-Muslims getting in to heaven.

I don't know. Maybe start a thread and poll everyone in the forum. Do beliefs matter? Most of them might disagree.

Last edited:

Kirran

Premium Member
Well it might be worth a quick read, seems pretty essential for debating this stuff. If you look in there, all the canonized material is of people very specifically heading west. To Rome, to Greece, to Anatolia. There is scarcely a mention of anything else. Peter was the first pope, he was martyred in Rome. Some of the oldest Christian churches are in Rome and Greece, and other places in Europe. That's part of what makes Europe markedly intertwined with Christianity.

And it wasn't easy at all going west. Paul got shipwrecked, there was a thing on a documentary about how hard sea-going could be on the Mediterranean, I guess you get out there with those ancient boats and that wind can just knock you wherever it wants if weather's not cheerful.

To be honest, I don't think a knowledge of the New Testament is necessary for arguing my point that there are, and always have been, Christians outside of Europe, who weren't of European origin. As this is what our discussion is about, I challenge you right now: disprove that this is the case.

I'm not saying Christianity and European cultures haven't been very intertwined. But I am saying that Christianity isn't specifically European.

Looks like it's triple the size of Europe to my eye.

Well, it's a lot bigger, anyway.

This says Alexandria had a population of 300,000.
Other pages say like 500,000 to 700,000. So all over the place. This claims that Alexandria once had 150,000 Greeks.
So in if both those sites are correct, Alexandria would have been half Greek. Now if look it up they also say Alexandria had a numerous Jewish population as well. I thought it was well established that Alexandria was a colonial city and was home to many outsiders.

Lots of Greeks and Jews in Alexandria. Also lots of Copts, and the majority of the Egyptians didn't live in Alexandria.

Well, even if they are 'large' why are they minorities some places and majorities in others.

Because in certain areas more people have converted to Christianity or more Christians have immigrated.

I bet every single one of the those countries has a 1000 foot tall gloomy lichen encrusted cathedral that is over 1000 years old.

Maybe so. Doesn't mean there aren't Christians outside Europe.

Some argue. I'd have to know who is arguing for that. Which apostle went to Persia? Look at the list on this page. Most every single one of them moved west.

Actually, a very interesting list.

Ten of the apostles listed there moved north or east into Asia. Only a single one, James son of Zebedee, preached exclusively in Europe.

As for who went to Persia - Thomas, Matthew and Simon went to Persia.

I don't know. Maybe start a thread and poll everyone in the forum. Do beliefs matter? Most of them might disagree.

I suppose it doesn't have any great bearing on our particular discussion, but it would certainly be interesting to see.

catch22

Alright, you've addressed the Jehovah's Witness but I'm not really interested in that right now. If you believe in a narrower way, what's your rebuttal for everything I've said?

There's sufficient evidence presented by other posters to essentially strike down your entire OP. By the time I read through, I just saw misrepresentations of the Christian faith, so I addressed those.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
So you see, Christan hell, as you look down into it, will sadly by and large be filled with thousands of years worth the Indonesians, Pacific Islanders, Aborigines, Native Americans, All peoples of Asia, thousands of years of Amerindian peoples, the Inuit, Africans, Middle-easterners, Indians, and heaven by and large would be European to buy out Charlemagne. Now don't you see something skewed with this picture? What's you're take on this? If only the 'believers' get into heaven, then the general breadth of history of where Christianity has resided seems to prove that is a pretty noninclusive religion.
My take on this is that it's probably a fairly accurate description of what many Christians believe, but is totally flawed. Yes, it's super skewed, and it's definitely not what my denomination of Christianity teaches. According to my belief, the number of individuals who will end up in hell is infinitesimal.

Kirran

Premium Member
My take on this is that it's probably a fairly accurate description of what many Christians believe, but is totally flawed. Yes, it's super skewed, and it's definitely not what my denomination of Christianity teaches. According to my belief, the number of individuals who will end up in hell is infinitesimal.

If I'm not mistaken, in LDS belief, all beings have the capacity to move on up the 'scale' of existence to the level of the Father, the Son, the Holy Ghost, the Heavenly Mother and so forth? Where does hell come into this picture?

amorphous_constellation

To be honest, I don't think a knowledge of the New Testament is necessary for arguing my point that there are, and always have been, Christians outside of Europe, who weren't of European origin. As this is what our discussion is about, I challenge you right now: disprove that this is the case.

Well, you'd see how pervasive it was about westward movement, the settings of many of those books are either Greece or Rome. Maybe their always have been Christians outside Europe, but Europe is where the thing took off. It diminished in Egypt, India and Persia, as I think we've established.That's what I'm arguing here.

I'm not saying Christianity and European cultures haven't been very intertwined. But I am saying that Christianity isn't specifically European.

European culture has been impacted by Christianity in a way that cannot be erased, it is the belief system that now takes precedence there on some foundational dimension whether in the coming centuries they leave it behind or not.

Actually, a very interesting list.

Ten of the apostles listed there moved north or east into Asia. Only a single one, James son of Zebedee, preached exclusively in Europe.

I'm going to come back to that list later, I'm out of time. I'm talking about where they were moving, and James is not the only one on that list that is described as going Westward. Many of them started out around the Levant but moved toward Greece or Rome or Anatolia, Anatolia being Asia minor, which is not east into Asia but northwest from the Levant.

Kirran

Premium Member
Well, you'd see how pervasive it was about westward movement, the settings of many of those books are either Greece or Rome. Maybe their always have been Christians outside Europe, but Europe is where the thing took off. It diminished in Egypt, India and Persia, as I think we've established.That's what I'm arguing here.

Many of them went to preach in Europe, yes. But Christianity has continued to exist in Egypt, India, Persia, the Caucasus, Ethiopia, North Africa, Lebanon, Armenia, Anatolia ever since the apostolic age. So it's not just in Europe, and never has been.

European culture has been impacted by Christianity in a way that cannot be erased, it is the belief system that now takes precedence there on some foundational dimension whether in the coming centuries they leave it behind or not.

Yeah, that's true. Similarly to Ethiopian, Coptic and Lebanese cultures. Its cultural influence will continue to be present for a long time.

I'm going to come back to that list later, I'm out of time. I'm talking about where they were moving, and James is not the only one on that list that is described as going Westward. Many of them started out around the Levant but moved toward Greece or Rome or Anatolia, Anatolia being Asia minor, which is not east into Asia but northwest from the Levant.

Yeah, many of them go into Europe. Anatolia is not in Europe, it must be confirmed here. James is the only one who preached in Europe alone, as his primary missions.

Out of the 11 Apostles who went on to preach Christianity, only four are confirmed to have even done so in Europe at any point, with three others possible. So at best, that's 7 out of 11 preaching in Europe, and only on them preaching their exclusively, many who did spent more time elsewhere, such as in Asia Minor, Scythia or Ethiopia.

I again ask you: give me proof that Christianity is specifically European.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
If I'm not mistaken, in LDS belief, all beings have the capacity to move on up the 'scale' of existence to the level of the Father, the Son, the Holy Ghost, the Heavenly Mother and so forth? Where does hell come into this picture?
In terms of any kind of permanent state of Hell, we believe that the only sin that would consign a person to what we refer to as "Outer Darkness" is blasphemy against the Holy Ghost. It's kind of difficult to explain what this is, but essentially, since we believe that the Holy Ghost is the means by which any spiritual truth is confirmed to an individual, blasphemy against the Holy Ghost would be denial of what has been proven by the Holy Ghost to be true. As an example, when Peter, James and John witnessed the transfiguration of Jesus Christ, who and what He was was essentially proven to them beyond doubt. They were in a position after that time where they no longer had to simply have faith, because they had absolute knowledge. Had they ever denied this knowledge, they would have committed blasphemy against the Holy Ghost, they would have been candidates for "Outer Darkness" or "Hell." It would be kind of like being out in the middle of the Sahara on a day where there was a blue sky and not a cloud to be seen and insisting that the sun was not shining. Not many people in the history of the world have been given absolute knowledge of the kind Peter, James and John received. I'd say Joseph Smith would be in a similar situation. He claimed to have actually seen God the Father. Had He ever denied that, He would have committed blasphemy against the Holy Ghost.

We also believe in a temporary state of Hell that the unrepentant wicked will find themselves in following death. But we believe that upon acceptance of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and genuine remorse for and repentance of their sins, they will be released from this state and enter into a state of Paradise to await the resurrection. For some, this may take a very, very long time (i.e. thousands of years), but we believe that eventually, almost all will accept Him and realize that He died on their behalf.

Last edited:

Kirran

Premium Member
In terms of any kind of permanent state of Hell, we believe that the only sin that would consign a person to what we refer to as "Outer Darkness" is blasphemy against the Holy Ghost. It's kind of difficult to explain what this is, but essentially, since we believe that the Holy Ghost is the means by which any spiritual truth is confirmed to an individual, blasphemy against the Holy Ghost would be denial of what has been proven by the Holy Ghost to be true. As an example, when Peter, James and John witnessed the transfiguration of Jesus Christ, who and what He was was essentially proven to them beyond doubt. They were in a position after that time where they no longer had to simply have faith, because they had absolute knowledge. Had they ever denied this knowledge, they would have committed blasphemy against the Holy Ghost, they would have been candidates for "Outer Darkness" or "Hell." It would be kind of like being out in the middle of the Sahara on a day where there was a blue sky and not a cloud to be seen and insisting that the sun was not shining. Not many people in the history of the world have been given absolute knowledge of the kind Peter, James and John received. I'd say Joseph Smith would be in a similar situation. He claimed to have actually seen God the Father. Had He ever denied that, He would have committed blasphemy against the Holy Ghost.

We also believe in a temporary state of Hell that the unrepentant wicked will find themselves in following death. But we believe that upon acceptance of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and genuine remorse for and repentance of their sins, they will be released from this state and enter into a state of Paradise to await the resurrection. For some, this may take a very, very long time (i.e. thousands of years), but we believe that eventually, almost all will accept Him and realize that He died on their behalf.

Thankyou very much, that's very informative.

I find Mormon cosmology very interesting.

amorphous_constellation

Out of the 11 Apostles who went on to preach Christianity, only four are confirmed to have even done so in Europe at any point, with three others possible. So at best, that's 7 out of 11 preaching in Europe, and only on them preaching their exclusively, many who did spent more time elsewhere, such as in Asia Minor, Scythia or Ethiopia.

Scroll down and read the short section under the heading 'Origins' on this page.

Greeks are said to have heavily populated the northwest coast of Asia Minor at one time, and this is where many of those apostles went. Anatolia also has one of the largest former churches in the world, the Hagia Sophia, designed by Greek architects.

I again ask you: give me proof that Christianity is specifically European.

How about this hypothesis. If the Europeans didn't carry Christianity up through the millennia, they would have never had it to take it around the globe, to Australia, the Americas, the Philippines. There would be no base for the Catholic church for all of the globe to harken to. If it had diminished in all those European places the apostles went, the canonized scripture would be baseless or useless in some fundamental way. Who'd read about it if it never stayed where they went. For example, I'd say if Italy ever turned back to paganism specifically where Peter died, Christianity would immediately be disproved.

Kirran

Premium Member
Scroll down and read the short section under the heading 'Origins' on this page.
Greeks are said to have heavily populated the northwest coast of Asia Minor at one time, and this is where many of those apostles went. Anatolia also has one of the largest former churches in the world, the Hagia Sophia, designed by Greek architects.

Yeah, it's true a lot of the region was culturally Greek. But there still are, and always have been, non-European Christians outside Europe.

How about this hypothesis. If the Europeans didn't carry Christianity up through the millennia, they would have never had it to take it around the globe, to Australia, the Americas, the Philippines. There would be no base for the Catholic church for all of the globe to harken to. If it had diminished in all those European places the apostles went, the canonized scripture would be baseless or useless in some fundamental way. Who'd read about it if it never stayed where they went. For example, I'd say if Italy ever turned back to paganism specifically where Peter died, Christianity would immediately be disproved.

To be honest, I think this is a separate discussion. It's certainly an interesting point, but I don't think it has a bearing one way or the other on Christianity's supposed nature as a European ethnic religion.