• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The allure of Trump

LittlePinky82

Yes, and I grew up in one of those churches, so I experienced this all for myself.

Yeah, I really don't get it. I was raised Church of Christ and the church I was in at least didn't talk about it so I didn't hear more about it until I got more involved in politics. It just seems to go against everything Jesus taught.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Rev Ike, by any chance?
He's my favorite preacher.
Nah, it was a fundamentalist Lutheran church (yes, there are such things) that taught against believing in "evilution" and the congregation in general was as racist as the day was long, and it was the latter item that forced me out of the church when I was 22-- just a couple of years ago. :rolleyes:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Nah, it was a fundamentalist Lutheran church (yes, there are such things) that taught against believing in "evilution" and the congregation in general was as racist as the day was long, and it was the latter item that forced me out of the church when I was 22-- just a couple of years ago. :rolleyes:
Don't feel too bad.....the Lutherans (& Methodists & Baptists) banned me too.
And I never even belonged!

metis

You too TPaine...been a few around.
Yep, we're taking over! :cool: Nice site, eh? I think I've been here for about a year now, which is why you didn't see me over at BNet for quite a few months.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I haven't been on Bnet in awhile myself. I need to spend some more time trying to figure out how to underclock my computer, because that seems to fix the graphics problem I've been having on my computer. But all I've found on how to do it is adjust it down to 95%, but not how to actually do that.

metis

I haven't been on Bnet in awhile myself. I need to spend some more time trying to figure out how to underclock my computer, because that seems to fix the graphics problem I've been having on my computer. But all I've found on how to do it is adjust it down to 95%, but not how to actually do that.
You're aware that BNet as we know it is kaput, right?

metis

The old Bnet of SC/D2, or the new multi-game client thing?
I don't know what you're asking. Maybe because it's because of my age, I get easily confused.

One can access BNet through Facebook, but I'm at least not willing to do that since my real name and location shows there.

Scott C.

Just one guy
Can anyone explain it? I, as well as many others I know, truly can't fathom how the man has the numbers he does. He panders to bigots, he argues like a fourth grader calling names on the schoolyard, he's crude to women, his ego is out of control. Just why do people think he is actually fit to run this country?

I don't like much of what Trump says. But I love that he's not afraid to say what's on his mind. He's not afraid of the political correctness crowd, the media, or those who love to catch people in a trap for a misspoken word. His campaign is a big "in your face" to what is wrong with politics today. I believe this is part of his appeal, even to those who don't like his insulting comments.

averageJOE

zombie
I don't like much of what Trump says. But I love that he's not afraid to say what's on his mind. He's not afraid of the political correctness crowd, the media, or those who love to catch people in a trap for a misspoken word. His campaign is a big "in your face" to what is wrong with politics today. I believe this is part of his appeal, even to those who don't like his insulting comments.
And this has what to do with leadership?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Fearlessness to speak your mind is a good leadership trait.
So he can insult global leaders and call them a moron if they're a man and ugly slob if they're a woman? So the whole world knows that America put a bigot in office? It can be a good trait for a leader, but clearly in Trump's case him speaking his mind reveals how unfit he is for such a position.

Underhill

Fearlessness to speak your mind is a good leadership trait. In Trump's case I don't like many of his positions, so I will not vote for him in the primaries. However the OP asked what is his allure, to which I gave my opinion.

Speaking your mind is a terrible leadership trait in politics. Politics is all about negotiating compromises which is hard to do if you insult everyone you disagree with. And think in terms of foreign policy and negotiating with foreign countries. Speaking your mind could be a disaster.

metis

Fearlessness to speak your mind is a good leadership trait. In Trump's case I don't like many of his positions, so I will not vote for him in the primaries. However the OP asked what is his allure, to which I gave my opinion.
I ditto Scott's and SW's disagreement. There's this work called "tact", which can be defined this way: "The ability to tell a person to go to hell so well that they actually look forward to the trip".

One cannot throw out insults like they were candy and then expect those whom we have insulted to go along with them. Even here at RF, if someone really insults you, do you take the position that you now want to go along with what they've said? Do you admire their willingness to "speak their mind" when you're the one that's being attacked?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Trump reminds me a little of Bernie.
Both stand out from other candidates of their party because they say things out of the norm.
We'd never have thought that either had a chance to gain the nomination.
But circumstances arose which let these interlopers fill a void.
Whatever happens, it's more interesting than the usual race.