• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Atheist belief is sad indeed.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
As a child, I remember asking if there really was a Santa Claus. My Mother realized I was older and the truth should be told. She told me there was no Santa. My next question was if there really was a God?
Has she told you the real answer to that one yet?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
OK folks, this is not an attack thread. Some of my favorite RF members are Atheists. Actually, most are. That said, I want to address the Atheist mindset.

Most Atheists I know came from religious families. They could be looked upon as religious pioneers if you will. Not being an Atheist myself, I guess I am wondering about the emotion one would have to experience when you first decide there is no God.

Is it like realizing there is no Santa Claus? I doubt it. When we have that realization we still get gifts and celebrate Christmas.

Are there true Atheists out there, or are some Atheists just closet Christians who want to look trendy and cool but would pray if their plane was crashing?

The Atheists who would not pray in this instance, these are the folks I want to have a dialog with. The true Atheist if you will. What did it feel like when you realized there was no god?

Once I let myself realize there is no god for good, I had a sense of relief. For a while I struggled with it because I didn't want to stop believing. I felt like I would stop being part of the in crowd or something similar. It scared me to think of what it would be like not to believe in God because it was such an alien concept. After a while, though, I was able to realize there is no god, and my life wouldn't be any different not believing. At that point, I was relieved to have the question settled, as if that realization was inevitable, but it took me a while to come to grips with it.

As you are aging, how does it feel to believe that when you die, it is all over? Does that make you sad?

It makes me a little sad, yes. But I think that's one of the main reasons people have made up heavens throughout history. I'm OK with the idea that I die and cease to exist.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
fantôme profane;2258084 said:
For me personally the idea of living forever is strange, creepy and completely unappealing. The idea that I will cease to exist is a little sad, but much preferable to the alternative.

That's a good point. I have always found the idea of living forever, even in a heaven, to be scary. I mean, forever? No, thanks.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Living forever in paradise...yeah...I find it attractive.
You guys who want an eternal dirt nap are nutso!

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
It makes me a little sad, yes. But I think that's one of the main reasons people have made up heavens throughout history. I'm OK with the idea that I die and cease to exist.

From my perspective, even if you all are right about no God, I believe I will have a more peaceful death than you all will. I might be wrong about this, it will not be the first time.

The thing is, if I am wrong, it will not be like I will ever realize this. Where is the harm?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
If you didn't believe in God, what would you do differently?

That difference is the harm.

For me there is no difference. I did not change because I changed one belief. The only thing that is different is my lack of guilt in religious sinning. I still get guilt for other things.

Agnostic75

Reverend Rick said:
OK folks, this is not an attack thread. Some of my favorite RF members are Atheists. Actually, most are. That said, I want to address the Atheist mindset.

Most Atheists I know came from religious families. They could be looked upon as religious pioneers if you will. Not being an Atheist myself, I guess I am wondering about the emotion one would have to experience when you first decide there is no God.

Is it like realizing there is no Santa Claus? I doubt it. When we have that realization we still get gifts and celebrate Christmas.

Are there true Atheists out there, or are some Atheists just closet Christians who want to look trendy and cool but would pray if their plane was crashing?

The Atheists who would not pray in this instance, these are the folks I want to have a dialog with. The true Atheist if you will. What did it feel like when you realized there was no god? As you are aging, how does it feel to believe that when you die, it is all over? Does that make you sad?

But according to the Bible, ultimately, non-Christian theists will be in the same boat as atheists. The Bible requires "Christian" theism, not just any kind of theism. Most of ancient Jews' enemies were theists, not atheists.

Whatever the odds against atheism being true might be, the odds against Christianity being true are also astronomically small.

Do you believe in the story of Adam and Eve, and in the story of the global flood?

Last edited:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
From my perspective, even if you all are right about no God, I believe I will have a more peaceful death than you all will. I might be wrong about this, it will not be the first time.

Well, you can believe that, but it's not true. I'm OK with the idea of my death. I hope it doesn't come for another 60 years so I can see my grandchildren grow up and things, but I'm at peace with dying. Of course it also depends on how we die. Assuming we both die in our beds of natural causes that don't cause a lot of pain, then I think we'll be equally peaceful.

The thing is, if I am wrong, it will not be like I will ever realize this. Where is the harm?

Well, first I never said there was harm in believing it. But you could say that going through life believing something that's not true is not the best way to go through life. And if that belief makes you value this life less, I'd say that would be harmful.

Agnostic75

Reverend Rick said:

Where is the harm in being a non-Christian theist or deist?

Reverend Rick said:

The Atheists who would not pray in this instance, these are the folks I want to have a dialog with. The true Atheist if you will. What did it feel like when you realized there was no god? As you are aging, how does it feel to believe that when you die, it is all over? Does that make you sad?

But according to the Bible, ultimately, non-Christian theists will be in the same boat as atheists. The Bible requires "Christian" theism, not just any kind of theism. Most of ancient Jews' enemies were theists, not atheists.

Whatever the odds against atheism being true might be, the odds against Christianity being true are also astronomically small.

Do you believe in the story of Adam and Eve, and in the story of the global flood?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

I've been a natural skeptic for as long as I can remember, so never really believed in anything which didn't correspond with reality.

However, regarding death, what really makes me sad, is seeing all the people who settle for a mediocre existence, or even tolerate a life of suffering, because of the thought that they're going to someplace "better" after they die. I've seen so many cases of people who have given up on trying to make this life better because they're simply waiting for another.

I think accepting the end of your existence as a natural part of life is healthy, and also tends to prompt people to try to fully live the life they do have. Death is certainly a sad thing, but not nearly as sad as a wasted life left unlived.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
For me there is no difference. I did not change because I changed one belief. The only thing that is different is my lack of guilt in religious sinning. I still get guilt for other things.

Really? No difference in what you'd do?

It's an odd sort of belief that doesn't inform one's actions, IMO.

Just going back to this...

Something just occurred to me: I think that in a lot of cases, the mindset of an atheist could be seen something like the mindset of a libertarian... or someone near that end of the "individual vs. government" political spectrum. Both God and government can be seen as sources of comfort by some, and those who feel reliant on either one can have trouble understanding why a person wouldn't want them... but some people work better without them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
....the mindset of an atheist could be seen something like the mindset of a libertarian... or someone near that end of the "individual vs. government" political spectrum. Both God and government can be seen as sources of comfort by some, and those who feel reliant on either one can have trouble understanding why a person wouldn't want them... but some people work better without them.
True dat. I'm not a libertarian because it's right or true....it just suits me.

Erebus

Pascal's Wager really isn't a good way to base one's own beliefs though is it?

No, but Cthulhu's wager is (stolen from Uncyclopedia)

Based on Pascal's Wager, Cthulhu's Wager measures the benefits/punishments of belief/non-belief in Cthulhu.
It follows logic thusly:
  1. Cthulhu, if he exists, exists somewhere inaccessible to human beings, so we cannot be certain of his existence or nonexistence.
  2. If Cthulhu exists, he will give a quick and relatively merciful death to those who have worshipped him and expressed their belief through self-flagellation and ritual sacrifice.
  3. If Cthulhu exists, he will condemn those who have not worshipped him to an eternity of suffering and torment.
  • You may worship Cthulhu, and Cthulhu exists, in which case you suffer finite pain.
  • You may worship Cthulhu, and Cthulhu doesn't exist, in which case you gain nothing.
  • You may not worship Cthulhu, and Cthulhu doesn't exist, in which you gain nothing.
  • You may not worship Cthulhu, and Cthulhu exists, in which case you suffer infinite pain
I think Reverend Rick was referring more to the fact that his belief gives him happiness in this life though, so if he's wrong it doesn't matter too much (sorry if I misinterpreted you Rick!)

I can't really comment much about my own time as an atheist. It was mostly a reaction to the horrific things people do in the name of religion and the realisation that the Christian God was oddly silent that turned me atheist.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Pascal's Wager really isn't a good way to base one's own beliefs though is it?

Pascals Wager isn't a good way to convince anyone to look toward religion, but it still has some valid components.

It might not be a sound argument to become religious, but remaining religious is a different thing all together IMHO.

ellenjanuary

When there was a gun in my face, I made a point of saying my last words; "I love you, Gwyneth Paltrow." When I stood on the side of the road as these gang-bangers tried to do us in a drive-by; I laughed and took another swig of my beer. "Jeez, these mofos can't shoot." When they told me it's cath lab or death, I looked at my Gwynnies on my arm; took a ride upstairs. Laughed there, too. "What do you mean, groin camera; how can you tell me that's not going to hurt?" :D

outhouse

Atheistically
Is it like realizing there is no Santa Claus?

I was more bummed about Santa thats for sure

Atheists just closet Christians who want to look trendy and cool but would pray if their plane was crashing?

excellent question

See i'm unsure in my beliefs, but I know in my heart that the christian bible is full of bs and all other religions in my opinion. No one knows and no one is close if there is a power.

If anything I might buy the collective power of good or bad, but not a god.

I dont think I would pray. If there was a god who was all knowing i wouldnt have to ask or pray, he would already know how I really feel.

What did it feel like when you realized there was no god?

no emotions at all, just a recognition that wow they really have the religions all jacked up, and no one knows whats up.

it is all over? Does that make you sad?

another good question.

Not at all sad, life is for the living. when its all over, ill either be at the end and if there is a afterlife it will be nothing as we know now in REAL life and i can start with that when i get there.

[dont take below personal its just a example Rick, Im sure your a great person]

Your question almost wreaks of belief you will go somewhere special that we will not. If I live a cleaner more positive so called sin free life, and your a piece of trash who turns a new leaf after living a life of garbage and believes in the christian god. Theres no way your going to a better place then me. No way