• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Atheist belief is sad indeed.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Since there are no scientific methods to test for a God, all atheists are acting on a hunch. Unless they are privy to scientific data they are keeping to themselves. Oh I know they pull the old "cant disprove a negative" spiel, but science is not in the habit of forming premature conclusions about the unknown. So I suppose those who boast that they have science on their side, are the first to abandon it so they can hold to an opinion that massages their fancy.

What we call rational grounds for our beliefs are often extremely irrational attempts to justify our instincts. -Huxley
There are so many god concepts around. Some gods were once believed in but not anymore, while others are still believed. Some new religions even spring up from time to time.

I don't see reason to believe in any of them. They don't provide any explanation for things. :shrug:

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
OK folks, this is not an attack thread. Some of my favorite RF members are Atheists. Actually, most are. That said, I want to address the Atheist mindset.

Most Atheists I know came from religious families. They could be looked upon as religious pioneers if you will. Not being an Atheist myself, I guess I am wondering about the emotion one would have to experience when you first decide there is no God.

Is it like realizing there is no Santa Claus? I doubt it. When we have that realization we still get gifts and celebrate Christmas.
My atheism was such a gradual thing I never had anything like a revelation or a massive cognitive shift that brought my worldview crashing down. The quiet transition from a Russian Orthodox childhood I probably didn't understand to atheism was so subtle that anything like a loss or anything emotionally profound just wasn't in my experience- I think I'm the same person emotionally as I would have been whether a theist or not.

My Santa Claus debunking was actually a positive thing. I felt like Sherlock Holmes or Encyclopedia Brown when I did some sleuthing to uncover the deception! :D

Are there true Atheists out there, or are some Atheists just closet Christians who want to look trendy and cool but would pray if their plane was crashing?
I can't imagine a scenario that would make prayer compelling much less constructive.

The Atheists who would not pray in this instance, these are the folks I want to have a dialog with. The true Atheist if you will. What did it feel like when you realized there was no god? As you are aging, how does it feel to believe that when you die, it is all over? Does that make you sad?
I find death sad only because I'm madly in love with my wife and kids and the thought of not being with them is overwhelming. But I'd feel this way whether I were a theist, polytheist, atheist, or whether I believed in any semblance of an afterlife or not.

waitasec

Veteran Member
OK folks, this is not an attack thread. Some of my favorite RF members are Atheists. Actually, most are. That said, I want to address the Atheist mindset.

Most Atheists I know came from religious families. They could be looked upon as religious pioneers if you will. Not being an Atheist myself, I guess I am wondering about the emotion one would have to experience when you first decide there is no God.

Is it like realizing there is no Santa Claus? I doubt it. When we have that realization we still get gifts and celebrate Christmas.

Are there true Atheists out there, or are some Atheists just closet Christians who want to look trendy and cool but would pray if their plane was crashing?

The Atheists who would not pray in this instance, these are the folks I want to have a dialog with. The true Atheist if you will. What did it feel like when you realized there was no god? As you are aging, how does it feel to believe that when you die, it is all over? Does that make you sad?

for me, there is a deeper sense of responsibility towards other people (animals too) and for myself because, this is it. we have one shot at this marvelous state of being. and i don't want to have any regrets when i breathe my last breath. i'm afraid of flying (not because of the dying part really more so for the impression i have that it will be a horrific few minutes filled with lots and lots of screaming and violence). but every time i get on that freakin' plane i don't pray i just try focus on the positive as much as i can until i am ok with it and we land of course. ;)

Danmac

There are so many god concepts around. Some gods were once believed in but not anymore, while others are still believed. Some new religions even spring up from time to time.

I don't see reason to believe in any of them. They don't provide any explanation for things. :shrug:

Your statement is based solely on your personal opinion. You did not arrive at it thru a scientific method. Yet you think it should have merit.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Your statement is based solely on your personal opinion. You did not arrive at it thru a scientific method. Yet you think it should have merit.
I arrived at it through reason, study of history, and observation.

And actually, the scientific method was involved as well. Religions make some claims that can be tested for accuracy.

gnomon

I never realized there was no God. I stopped pretending that my lack of belief could be categorized as anything but atheist. Now it's true that I investigated other religious views, especially Buddhism, but in a moment of personal crisis it was the cessation of trying to make myself believe, accepted that the concept of God was entirely irrelevant to what I was going through ...... and everything became so much better.

Intellectual aspects of my atheism came later as I continued to investigate religious beliefs but not through studying books but how and why other people believe.

I must say that I still hold the concept of God to be irrelevant. It doesn't make me sad that I do not believe in an afterlife but it does make me sad that religious beliefs continue to hamper what I feel are the most mundane of human activities.

jmvizanko

Uber Tool
I'm not an atheist, but I find Reverend Rick's words to be quite condescending. :(

Yeah. Its pretty hard to not sound condescending when you wonder, and ask, if an entire group of people is lying about what they claim they believe. The funny thing is, I have come across many people that honestly think nobody can actually sincerely be an atheist, because god is just that obvious.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Yeah. Its pretty hard to not sound condescending when you wonder, and ask, if an entire group of people is lying about what they claim they believe. The funny thing is, I have come across many people that honestly think nobody can actually sincerely be an atheist, because god is just that obvious.
I believe everyone who has posted today. Don't give me too much credit, the concept of "No atheists in a fox hole" or "No true Scotsman" has already been taken credit for. It was my intent to be provocative not condescending. I've apologised twice today, have I hurt your feelings too?

Gloone

I don't find it that hard to believe. I can understand why people are atheist. I don't hate or blame them for it. I think it is just one of those things that didn't occur naturally so it isn't going to happen unless they have a life changing experience.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I believe everyone who has posted today. Don't give me too much credit, the concept of "No atheists in a fox hole" or "No true Scotsman" has already been taken credit for. It was my intent to be provocative not condescending. I've apologised twice today, have I hurt your feelings too?
You're a complete failure at being condescending & offensive.
(If you want lessons, I'm taking on apprentices.)

jmvizanko

Uber Tool

No, just pointing out that asking if any group, of any type, can honestly be sincere is, pretty much by definition, condescending.

That being said, I never took you for the sad type that actually thinks every, or even many, atheists out there are lying about what they believe.

And my feelings would only be hurt if you told me I look fat in this dress. Why do goldfish crackers have to be so addictive?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What time do your classes start. I might join Revered Rick.
First, I need to see some sincere attempts at being utterly revolting towards all who deserve it.
Then we'll talk faxing me some cash, & starting the training.

Gloone

First, I need to see some sincere attempts at being utterly revolting towards all who deserve it.
Then we'll talk faxing me some cash, & starting the training.
I can be utterly revolting. I mean to the point where it will have people rolling over in their graves.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
No, just pointing out that asking if any group, of any type, can honestly be sincere is, pretty much by definition, condescending.
I've acknowledged that was not my intent when I posted. I can see where you are coming from and that is why I apologised to anyone that was offended.
That being said, I never took you for the sad type that actually thinks every, or even many, atheists out there are lying about what they believe.
I don't think I thought they where lying, it was more like a challenge in my mind.
And my feelings would only be hurt if you told me I look fat in this dress. Why do goldfish crackers have to be so addictive?
You will have to spin around several times before I can make up my mind about your dress. I get distracted some times wondering what you have on underneath. :sorry1:

Goldfish crackers have always been addicting like anything that comes in those cute little bags. I consider them one serving. :p

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

It felt very...interesting.
The fact that at one point I will no longer exist does not make me sad. I'm not sure why. My reaction is more along the lines of "You only go around once, so grab all the gusto."

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
From my perspective, even if you all are right about no God, I believe I will have a more peaceful death than you all will. I might be wrong about this, it will not be the first time.

The thing is, if I am wrong, it will not be like I will ever realize this. Where is the harm?

Some people value truth above comfort.