• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Atheist belief is sad indeed.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You're right. The most rational position is held by those who freely admit they don't know. Anyone who makes claims that they KNOW the TRUTH about the universe, where it came from and if there is anything after death are full of it. Period. Thats my take on it.
Here's my take on it: knowledge isn't 100% certain, and we can't say with perfect certainty that god(s) do or don't exist, but that doesn't mean we're completely ignorant. We do have plenty of information to use as the basis for conclusions, and even though we recognize that they're philosophically tentative pending perfect knowledge, we can still recognize that some positions are reasonable and others aren't, and we can still form valid, defensible, and practically certain conclusions based on the evidence at hand.

No, it doesn't. It's based on the premise that Christianity is the only alternative to atheism, which is obviously false.
It's also based on the premise that non-Christians can't possibly be saved, which doesn't even work under the Catholic beliefs that Pascal was assuming for his Wager.

One last question, which is better, to be right and suffer or to be wrong and comfortable? Perhaps you chose the former for yourself, but what about your loved ones? If they where about to die and was having a hard time dealing with the situation, would you lie to give them comfort as they draw their last breath?
I think you present a false dichotomy. In my experience, being right generally produces less suffering than being wrong. IMO, the "comfortable" in "wrong and comfortable" is usually temporary and gets outweighted by even greater discomfort later on.

Let me put it this way... say your bank gave you a choice: when you withdraw money from your chequing account at the ATM, you can have the machine tell you your actual account balance or tell you that your balance is a million dollars. Which would you prefer?

Would you have more fun if you thought you had a spare million dollars just lying around? You probably would, at least temporarily... but reality would bite you pretty quickly.

You put me to task. :facepalm:

OK, imagine a situation where a young child has cancer and is suffering a painful death. The child cries out and says, " I never got to grow up and have a family of my own, is this all the life I get?".

Do I need to explain more? This child could be comforted with the hope of an afterlife and to see their family and friends again.
Fine for the dying child himself (maybe - actually, I'm not sure it is), but that's not where the effects of this sort of tactic end.

For instance, think of that child's sister: who do you think is more likely to one day devote their life to stopping this from happening again by working to find a cure for that cancer? A girl who thinks that dying from cancer is part of a good God's plan and really means that the person who dies from cancer moves on to an eternal life of happiness, or a girl who thinks that dying from cancer is a horrible waste of a human life, and something that's entirely suffering with no good in it at all?

IMO, comfort breeds complacency.

Also, more often than not, questions of faith aren't a matter of deathbed comfort to a child who has no responsibility anyhow. Our beliefs inform our actions, and for good or bad, the things you teach a child will generally have effects in the wider world. I think we have a responsibility to teach children good things. I can understand a parent teaching their child about a religion that the parent sincerely believes to be true, but in general, I would not consider it a good thing for a parent to teach a child something that the parent thinks is "wrong but comforting".

That child on his deathbed: you wouldn't have held off on teaching him about God and Heaven until you knew for sure that he was going to die, would you?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
In the case that you mentioned, I would not object to bringing the child some emotional comfort, but your scenario only covers a very small amount of cases. Are you suggesting that all atheist, agnostic, and deist parents should teach their children that theism is true?
How on earth did you read that into what I said?
Are you suggesting that adult atheists should try to force themselves that a loving God exists because it might bring them emotional comfort? The followers of many religions have emotional comfort, right?
No, I'm not suggesting that at all.
Perhaps you would be pleased if a virtual reality machine was invented that could provide people with any emotions that they find to be comfortable, a machine that was so convincing that users could not distinguish the machine from reality. That way, no one would have to face reality.
Don't you mean your perspective of reality?
It is not comfortable not having all of the answers, but making up answers in order to be emotionally comfortable hinders the search for truth.
That matters so much when a person is dying. :facepalm:
Even if a God exists, no one knows who he is, and what his agenda are. If a God exists, he could easily reveal his existence and agenda in far more convincing ways than he has. A loving God would easily be able to attract the admiration of most of the people in the world if he wanted to. Withholding valuable evidence does not help God or mankind. On the other hand, if humans made up all religions that have books, that explains why no God ever shows up tangibly, in person, in front of everyone in the world.

Since many atrocities against humanity have been committed because people believed in a certain religion, and many atheists and agnostics have led peaceful lives, it is obvious that belief in religion alone does not cause a person to have good character.
No argument there. :no:

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member

OK, imagine a situation where a young child has cancer and is suffering a painful death. The child cries out and says, " I never got to grow up and have a family of my own, is this all the life I get?".

Do I need to explain more? This child could be comforted with the hope of an afterlife and to see their family and friends again.

Suppose in the afterlife the child finds the parents lied? Just suppose.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That matters so much when a person is dying. :facepalm:
Out of curiosity, why are you focusing so much on the narrow case of giving comfort to the dying?

It almost seems to me like it's deliberately set up as a situation where you can tell the person whatever you want without there being long-term consequences for either the person you tell or the people who he affects. The vast majority of situations we find ourselves in don't work that way.

Heck - the vast majority of "deathbed" situations probably don't work that way. I can only imagine the confusion that a dying kid would have if parents who have never discussed religion with him before suddenly start going on about God and Heaven. It would probably be more bewildering than comforting.

... but that's the sort of scenario you're setting up, IMO. I don't think that comforting a kid with notions of the afterlife in store for him would work if you hadn't already primed him by teaching them to him before he got sick when it looked like he'd live to a ripe old age. And IMO, long-term consequences need to be factored into the decisions of what to teach the kid then.

atanu

Premium Member
I suppose if there was an afterlife, they would be in different places so the subject would not come up. :p

The child may now harbour a grudge of betrayal. ????

My point is that your example is not a general one that is related to whether blind theistic belief is sad or happy. The example, IMO, pertains to whether leaning on falsity is OK sometimes.

Agnostic75

Agnostic75 said:
It is not comfortable not having all of the answers, but making up answers in order to be emotionally comfortable hinders the search for truth.

Reverend Rick said:
That matters so much when a person is dying.

Ok, but people who are dying are one small group, what about everyone else?

Agnostic75

Agnostic75 said:
Perhaps you would be pleased if a virtual reality machine was invented that could provide people with any emotions that they find to be comfortable, a machine that was so convincing that users could not distinguish the machine from reality. That way, no one would have to face reality.

Reverend Rick said:
Don't you mean your perspective of reality?

What in the world are you talking about? Nothing that anyone experienced in a virtual reality machine would be real. If a virtual reality machine was advanced enough, the user could program it to provide any kind of reality that they wanted to. From your perspective, the main issue is just emotional comfort, not truth, right?

Are you promoting your own version of reality? If so, what is it, Christianity, or some other worldview?

Last edited:

gnomon

If heaven exists, you go to heaven when you die........

Shouldn't everyone be throwing parties around a death bed, giving congratulations and wishing to join the soon to be deceases shortly themselves?

Why is as our technology has found ways to keep us from heaven for far longer amounts of time those who believe in heaven so willingly seize the chance to stay away from there?

And when someone willingly chooses to go to heaven early they are criticized by other heaven believers and tell others that it was a sin?

So I say who cares to all the nonsense. If there is an afterlife I'll find out about it when I die. There are numerous religious beliefs which exist today, we have the scriptures of those that existed before and new ones pop up all the time. All of them have conflicting views of the afterlife and render Pascal's wager a bunch of meaningless, metaphysical BS.

So I choose irrelevancy. I live my live my life based on what I need to do to survive as an individual and in human society. I do so without all the pretense of a religious believer. Now what's more sad walking through life claiming to have all the answers when you know damn well you can't prove and know it's not true.

Ben Masada

OK folks, this is not an attack thread. Some of my favorite RF members are Atheists. Actually, most are. That said, I want to address the Atheist mindset.

Most Atheists I know came from religious families. They could be looked upon as religious pioneers if you will. Not being an Atheist myself, I guess I am wondering about the emotion one would have to experience when you first decide there is no God.

Is it like realizing there is no Santa Claus? I doubt it. When we have that realization we still get gifts and celebrate Christmas.

Are there true Atheists out there, or are some Atheists just closet Christians who want to look trendy and cool but would pray if their plane was crashing?

The Atheists who would not pray in this instance, these are the folks I want to have a dialog with. The true Atheist if you will. What did it feel like when you realized there was no god? As you are aging, how does it feel to believe that when you die, it is all over? Does that make you sad?

I am not an Atheist myself, but I do believe that when we die, it is all over. Does it make me sad? Not even a little bit. Three things are parts of life: Birth, Life and Death. To see anyway other than thus is childish romanticism.
Ben

dust1n

Zindīq
My experiences have led me to believe that Christians and atheists experience roughly the same amount of blinding happiness and the same amount of eye opening sadness. Religion is not a variable in the human condition.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
My experiences have led me to believe that Christians and atheists experience roughly the same amount of blinding happiness and the same amount of eye opening sadness. Religion is not a variable in the human condition.
Yeah, good point. I've noticed the same thing.

The fact that theists don't really seem any more "comfortable" than atheists suggests to me that the old line about religion giving people comfort doesn't have much truth to it.

Jeremiah

Imagine you are tying to convince someone to strap a bomb to their chest.....

Do I need to explain more?

ellenjanuary

Oh my Gwynnies. This kid would be more comfortable with a fairy tale than an ice cream with a PS3 on the side? :p

I dislike this appeal to emotion crap. When things get down to the wire, all of us would offer our loved ones whatever comfort we could provide. Sitting here in a nice, comfortable parking lot, however; it seems like a subtlebit of prostelyzing.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Oh my Gwynnies. This kid would be more comfortable with a fairy tale than an ice cream with a PS3 on the side? :p

I dislike this appeal to emotion crap. When things get down to the wire, all of us would offer our loved ones whatever comfort we could provide. Sitting here in a nice, comfortable parking lot, however; it seems like a subtlebit of prostelyzing.

I'm not stating anything as fact and I sure am not seeking any conversion. If I ever proselytized, there would be fire and brimstone where everyone would be upset with me or scared crappless.

We don't p-tize on RF for very long. Its against the rules.

ellenjanuary

I'm not stating anything as fact and I sure am not seeking any conversion. If I ever proselytized, there would be fire and brimstone where everyone would be upset with me or scared crappless.

We don't p-tize on RF for very long. Its against the rules.

What, you want some of this? :sw:

Kidding. I can almost understand what you're trying to say; but it seems to be caught up in memories of my Antichristianity. No big. ;)

Hey Rick,

First I just want to say thanks for the candid and provocative OP. I gave you frubals but for some reason the message I wrote was "Reverend Rick"... not sure why I wrote that! Also, I'm sorry this is a very long post, but I hope you'll read it, because I put a lot of thought into it.
OK folks, this is not an attack thread. Some of my favorite RF members are Atheists. Actually, most are. That said, I want to address the Atheist mindset.

Most Atheists I know came from religious families. They could be looked upon as religious pioneers if you will. Not being an Atheist myself, I guess I am wondering about the emotion one would have to experience when you first decide there is no God.
For me personally, it was primarily a cerebral experience, not an emotional experience. I had made the decision that I wanted first to know the truth, even if it was a horrible truth. (As it happens, I no longer believe atheism is a horrible truth.) I never jumped directly from belief in God to atheism. What happened was, once I allowed myself to question everything I became very skeptical of the idea that God has human attributes; it seemed clear to me that humans were simply projecting their own characteristics (jealousy, love, a mind) onto God. We always hear things like "God is mysterious". Well, what if God is REALLY mysterious? What if God's "mind" is so incomprehensibly different from ours, that it's not really accurate to compare it to a human mind at all? I asked these kinds of questions.

Eventually I realized that my ever-more impersonal idea of God was no different than believing in a big, mysterious, powerful Universe. So I never lost the idea and the accompanying feelings that there exists "something" big and mysterious and powerful "out there" greater than myself. I never lost the feeling of awe and humility, and thankfulness, for the privilege of being created by some majestic creator that my human mind cannot fully understand. I never had to jump the gorge of having those feelings of comfort towards God, and then all at once letting go. Instead I just direct many of those feelings towards a different "God" -- the real one, if you like, instead of the mistaken one speculated by our ancestors with their limited knowledge and descriptive powers. There are similarities between my attitude towards the Universe today, and my attitude towards God years ago. Neither the universe nor God has ever allowed an exception to the laws of Nature on behalf of a mere Earthling; neither has ever spoken to me (or anyone) in words which are clearly distinguishable from the voices and intuitions which can originate in our own heads; and both the God of the Bible and the Universe are equally good listeners. ;)
Reverend Rick said:
Is it like realizing there is no Santa Claus? I doubt it. When we have that realization we still get gifts and celebrate Christmas.
But, as an atheist I still get gifts and celebrate Christmas! So there is a similarity. :D
Reverend Rick said:
Are there true Atheists out there, or are some Atheists just closet Christians who want to look trendy and cool but would pray if their plane was crashing?
There are true atheists and there are atheists who would resort to prayer if their plane was crashing. There are also theists who would reject the existence of God and lose all faith if they lived through the Holocaust or the Black Death of the middle ages. This doesn't really tell us whether God objectively exists or not, but it does tell us interesting things about the nature of belief and why people believe things with/without evidence.
Reverend Rick said:
The Atheists who would not pray in this instance, these are the folks I want to have a dialog with. The true Atheist if you will. What did it feel like when you realized there was no god? As you are aging, how does it feel to believe that when you die, it is all over? Does that make you sad?
I'm a true atheist by your definition, so I'll answer.

The problem is that "Atheism" lacks substance. I don't find answers to life's questions in "atheism". I do find fulfilling answers, or at least speculations, in reading the philosophy and literature of brilliant minds like Shakespeare, Epicurus, Thomas Paine, David Hume, and so on. When I listen to Carl Sagan talk about how we are all made of "star stuff" and how we are only specks in the cosmos, I feel grateful for this one, precious life I have been given. Mark Twain reiterated what Epicurus argued thousands of years ago: there is no point in worrying about death, because you were already dead for billions of years before you were born! That wasn't so bad, was it? In one of Shakespeare's plays Julius Caesar says (paraphrasing): "Cowards die a thousand deaths; the brave taste death but once!" I take courage in such words. If my mortality is unchangeable, then at least I want to live without debilitating fear and when the time comes, die with dignity and a stiff chin.

Whether something makes you sad or not really depends a lot on how you choose to look at it. For example, the idea that billions of innocent souls will burn in hell FOREVER is arguably a MUCH sadder thought than the idea that death is a painless slumber. And yet, people rarely ask Christians and Muslims if they are chronically depressed due to their "sad belief". The reason is because believers choose not to allow the sad parts of their religion to make them sad.

Instead, believers use the same coping strategies that everyone, including atheists, use: (1) realize there is no point in being chronically upset over the things you cannot change; (2) focus on the good things that make you happy, and the things you can change. For an atheist like me, I focus on being grateful for the one life I have, and living it as best I can, instead of being jealous over the loss of the additional lives religion falsely promised me.

So believers know how to cope with sad facts, they are just unused to the particular "sad fact" of a mortal life. Believers begin with an unrealistic frame of reference; they have been promised everything in the next life, and the prospect of coming down from that "high" to the "low" of mortality can frighten them. But if we did not indoctrinate children with these unrealistic expectations of eternal bliss, they would never have to fall from these false heights. Instead, children could be raised up to realistic happiness, starting from a humble understanding of our insignificance in the cosmos, and ending with the realization that there is hope we can carve out happy, though brief, lives for ourselves and the rest of our species.

In other words, instead of "coming down" from belief in an afterlife to belief in mortality, you could "go up" from the fact of an indifferent universe to the realization that it is possible to achieve happiness in this life for ourselves and our children. Whether an idea makes you sad, or happy, really depends a lot on what your starting reference frame is, and which direction you are going.

My strategy has always been to question everything and try to discern which facts are undeniable; I hope this will help me discover the cold, hard truth, whatever it may be. After I discover the "horrible truth" I choose to look on the bright side. :) These two things, for me, converge not simply on atheism but on humanism. But I would use this strategy whether I was Christian or communist or whatever.

In your next thread I think you should consider a critique of humanism, which has substance, instead of picking on atheism, which can't even defend itself. ;)

Last edited: