• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bhakti Thread

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
You are the Real of the real
You are the Truth that underlies all
Boundlessness that witnesses
You grace all beings
You have graced me
Your aspiring devotee
I long, I yearn for you
Limitless ocean
Touch me with your foot
Just a tap, or just a sigh
Show me again what you are
Reveal to me again what I am
Teach me again what we are
Give me a glimpse
Like the one from yesteryear
Give me this that I may be satisfied

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
Śiva Śiva Śiva
Śiva Śiva Śiva
Śiva Śiva Śiva

Śiva Śiva Śiva
Śiva Śiva Śiva
Śiva Śiva Śiva

Śiva Śiva Śiva
Śiva Śiva Śiva
Śiva Śiva Śiva

Oṅkāra Oṅkāra Oṅkāra
Oṅkāra Oṅkāra Oṅkāra
Oṅkāra Oṅkāra Oṅkāra

Oṅkāra Oṅkāra Oṅkāra
Oṅkāra Oṅkāra Oṅkāra
Oṅkāra Oṅkāra Oṅkāra

Oṅkāra Oṅkāra Oṅkāra
Oṅkāra Oṅkāra Oṅkāra
Oṅkāra Oṅkāra Oṅkāra

Hara Hara Hara
Hara Hara Hara
Hara Hara Hara

Hara Hara Hara
Hara Hara Hara
Hara Hara Hara

Hara Hara Hara
Hara Hara Hara
Hara Hara Hara

Maheśvara Maheśvara Maheśvara

Śivoham. Ānandoham. Jaya Śiva.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
@mangalavara

Your bhakti to Shiva is touching! Although I am not strictly a Shiva devotee, I like him very much and pray to him each day along with the rest of the prayer routines.

I came across devotional works for Shiva in Tamil language and it is voluminous! First and foremost, is the Shivapuranam. There were four Saivite Saints popularly referred to as 'Naalvar' (Appar, Sundarar, Gnanasambandar and Manickavachagar) who have collective contributed hymns to the voluminous work on Shiva called 'Thevaram'. Then Manickavasagar himself wrote 'Thiruvasagam' (which takes a good 3 1/2 hrs read - I read it on Shiva ratri this year). It is said 'Thiruvaasagaththukku urugathar oru vasagaththukkum urugaar' meaning, "Those who would not melt for Thiruvasagam would not melt for anything else". These and many, many more such works are there. You can find their English translation online if interested.

Just thought of sharing!

Take care.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
Your bhakti to Shiva is touching!

I admire what you do as a bhakta.

Although I am not strictly a Shiva devotee, I like him very much and pray to him each day along with the rest of the prayer routines.

Similarly, mangalavara bows to Venkaṭeśvara every day in spite of not being a devotee of Hari.

There were four Saivite Saints popularly referred to as 'Naalvar' (Appar, Sundarar, Gnanasambandar and Manickavachagar) who have collective contributed hymns to the voluminous work on Shiva called 'Thevaram'.

This is my first time hearing about the Naalvar. So, I've searched for some of their compositions, and I am delighted. Thank you so much.

Then Manickavasagar himself wrote 'Thiruvasagam' (which takes a good 3 1/2 hrs read - I read it on Shiva ratri this year). It is said 'Thiruvaasagaththukku urugathar oru vasagaththukkum urugaar' meaning, "Those who would not melt for Thiruvasagam would not melt for anything else". These and many, many more such works are there. You can find their English translation online if interested.

That is wonderful. Thank you for mentioning this text. I have found an English translation online and bookmarked it.

Just thought of sharing!

To you I am grateful.

Take care.

Praṇāma.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
@mangalavara

Your bhakti to Shiva is touching! Although I am not strictly a Shiva devotee, I like him very much and pray to him each day along with the rest of the prayer routines.

I came across devotional works for Shiva in Tamil language and it is voluminous! First and foremost, is the Shivapuranam. There were four Saivite Saints popularly referred to as 'Naalvar' (Appar, Sundarar, Gnanasambandar and Manickavachagar) who have collective contributed hymns to the voluminous work on Shiva called 'Thevaram'. Then Manickavasagar himself wrote 'Thiruvasagam' (which takes a good 3 1/2 hrs read - I read it on Shiva ratri this year). It is said 'Thiruvaasagaththukku urugathar oru vasagaththukkum urugaar' meaning, "Those who would not melt for Thiruvasagam would not melt for anything else". These and many, many more such works are there. You can find their English translation online if interested.

Just thought of sharing!

Take care.
A skilled thevaram singer can make my bhakti tears flow in seconds. We are very fortunate to have one at our temple. Many folks can sing them as it's taught in school, but only certain singers can sing them with amazing inspiration.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Your bhakti to Shiva is touching!
My bhakti to Siva is more astounding. I say 'Hey, Man' (First person bhakti), Hi Krishna. Howdi? But I am crazy.

Then they start recounting their woes. 'See those crazy Indians and Chinese; oldest civilizations in the world; but fighting each other when they know none can win! And those Indians and Pakistanis, same people, brothers, and have been fighting for 75 years! And the Ruskies and Ukrainians, same people, brothers, fighting each other for the benefit of Sam's armament factories! And those Israelis against Hamas, Hezbollah, Hutis and Iranians? Do all of them want to be destroyed?"

I say "Let them be, but is everything OK in Kailasa?" Shiva says "How can it be? Takshaka went after Kumara's peacock. Failing that he is persuing Ganeshas mouse. Boss' lion took up a fight with my bull. It is Chaos everywhere."

I fail in my words to sympathize with him. I say 'Let it be. We cannot change things after they have been created. Let us bring forth the gourd and let us have a swig of Soma." The problem is that no one listens to them or to the law they have created.

Last edited:

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
I admire what you do as a bhakta.

Similarly, mangalavara bows to Venkaṭeśvara every day in spite of not being a devotee of Hari.

This is my first time hearing about the Naalvar. So, I've searched for some of their compositions, and I am delighted. Thank you so much.

That is wonderful. Thank you for mentioning this text. I have found an English translation online and bookmarked it.

To you I am grateful.

Praṇāma.
@mangalavara

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I forgot to mention earlier, I just shared my thoughts because those aforementioned works by those Saivite saints are full of poetic renditions of profound order. When I read your poetic expressions, I was immediately reminded of these works. Pranam. :)

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
A skilled thevaram singer can make my bhakti tears flow in seconds. We are very fortunate to have one at our temple. Many folks can sing them as it's taught in school, but only certain singers can sing them with amazing inspiration.
Yes, they say Thevaram is so profound and has compelling spiritual merits when chanted with faith and devotion.

As part of daily sadhana, I chant 'Pitthaa Pirasoodi' from Thevaram. I am attaching this 10-verse poem from the 'Thevaram' from a Youtube clipping.

It is so moving, this song! I sincerely love it. Thanks for mentioning the Thevaram, Vinayaka ji.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
My bhakti to Krishna ji, contribution as part of this thread's main topic:

There were days formerly when I tried to pen down poetries, and I have to say, not been too successful in them.

I express my love for Krishna when I chant, via remembering him doing the great Kaliya dance and so forth.

I imagine myself being a gopa, sitting on the terrace of Radharani temple in Raval, and imagine in those early morning chanting sessions, that Krishna and Balarama are walking by with the herds of cows and calves behind them and that when I spot them, I run down and take the dust of their footprints and smear it on my forehead.

Then I imagine sitting by the great Yamun river banks and doing my chanting, watching the mesmerizing Krishna along with gopas ahead of me on boat sailing by the river. These thoughts keep me going as chanting gets tougher to keep at.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
E46D279A-B037-45CD-A7C2-1993EBB8085D.jpeg

This is a public domain photo featuring Śiva as Mṛtyuṃjaya.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Your image was a bit tilted. I have tried to correct the tilt. Shiva is perfect, so his image also should be perfect.

Attachments

• shiva.jpeg
    shiva.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 18

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
Your image was a bit tilted. I have tried to correct the tilt. Shiva is perfect, so his image also should be perfect.

Thank you for the better image. I had no idea that the original was tilted until I read your reply.

If somebody posts an image of Brahmā with five heads, you or somebody else should also correct that one. :p

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
If somebody posts an image of Brahmā with five heads, you or somebody else should also correct that one. :p

Lord Brahma did have five heads at one time before Rudra/Shiva cut one, but has only four now..
It is a Vedic story and dates back to some 3,000 BCE, when Aryans had not even come to India. It was an astronomical event because of the precession of equinox, the sun not rising in the asterism of Orion (Mrigashiras, Prajapati, Supreme God) on the day or vernal equinox as it used to do but moving towards Aldebaran (Rohini, supposed to be his daughter). This was considered as incest, and Rudra (who now has been assimilated with Shiva) cut one of his heads. Since that time worship of Prajapati was depreciated. This was sort of convenient to the indigenous people, because they did not want to worship Aryan Gods. There are just a few temples of Brahma in India. By 2,250 BCE, Aryans still not in India, they adopted rise of New Year Day sun in the asterism of Pleiadas (Krittikas).

Last edited:

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
Jaya Mā! Jaya Jaya Mā!
Jaya Mā! Jaya Jaya Mā!
Jaya Mā! Jaya Jaya Mā!
Jaya Mā! Jaya Jaya Mā!
Jaya Mā! Jaya Jaya Mā!

Parāśakti Parāśakti Parāśakti