• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bhakti Thread

mangalavara

हर हर महादेव
Premium Member
At the end of the list of 108 names, Shiva tells Parvati, "Those who daily read these 108 names from Durga Stotram find nothing impossible in the three worlds."

And you know what? Every time I think I can't do something, every time I think it's impossible, I'm able to pull it off, somehow or another.

This is one of the wonderful things about Śakti and Śiva. Chanting, listening to, or even reading certain things results in their help, blessings, bhukti, and mukti. :)

mangalavara

हर हर महादेव
Premium Member
I am the adoration of śivanāma
I am a rudra amongst humankind
I am the ecstasy of śivanāma
I close my eyes to be blind

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
.. one place among many, to express your bhāva toward your cherished deity or deities. You might express it through thoughts, poetry, prayers, images, or whatever is best at the moment. It doesn’t matter who you call Bhagavatī or Bhagavān in this thread. The only requirement is to express devotion.
'Sakha Bhava' to all male Hindu deities, and 'matri bhava' for all female Hindu deities. Both do not require any further observance.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Sakha = Friend, one does not have to ask a friend for help. He knows what you need and will do his best to help you.
Matri = Mother, won't let any bad thing happen to her child. Will be a lioness or a Kali in defense of her child.
Natural, no formalities. Keep it simple.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The problem is that theists believe deities to be Sakha or Mother, but don't act like that. They worship them.
I loved my mother and love my friend, but do I worship them?

Vinidra

Jai Mata Di!
I don't know how we feel about Om Swami on this forum, but I bought his book The Legend of the Goddess: Invoking Sri Suktam at the end of July.

It took me a few days to read the book, and then I started (badly) chanting the Sri Suktam myself. The book said it would change my life. I only half-believed it, to be honest, but I was desperate enough to try it.

Last week, I was hired at a "real" job, for the first time in many years. I have been a poorly-paid freelancer since 2008, and I had just hit a wall with it, thinking I couldn't do it anymore, when I took a shot in the dark and applied for this job.

It's not a life-changing amount of money, but it takes away all the uncertainty of freelancing. And that alone is a load off my shoulders.

Now, was it all an elaborate coincidence, or does the Sri Suktam really change people's lives? I can't say for certain, of course, but I know what I think.

Jai Maa Lakshmi!

a547c3a805a3a2bf912ca533f53680f0.jpg

mangalavara

हर हर महादेव
Premium Member
My Mahādeva. My Śiva.

I love you and desire to see you.

Take this ego. Take it away.

In exchange, stand in this body.

Let yourself, the Triśūla-Bearer, be revealed.

Let me behold your lovely eyes.

Let me see your abhayamudrā.

Let me see your lotus feet.

Be here the One without a second.

You already give me joy.

You already teach me.

Be here the One without a second.

Last edited:

mangalavara

हर हर महादेव
Premium Member
I don't know how we feel about Om Swami on this forum, but I bought his book The Legend of the Goddess: Invoking Sri Suktam at the end of July.

I’ve watched some of his videos, read some of his blog posts, and read some excerpts from one of his books in the magazine Tattvāloka. I think he’s great. I like his advice that if our sādhanā or spiritual practice is making us into a kinder or more loving person, then we should continue doing what we’re doing.

Last week, I was hired at a "real" job, for the first time in many years. I have been a poorly-paid freelancer since 2008, and I had just hit a wall with it, thinking I couldn't do it anymore, when I took a shot in the dark and applied for this job.

Congratulations! I am happy for you. :)

I bet it feels good to have a more guaranteed income now after all those years of freelancing!

Now, was it all an elaborate coincidence, or does the Sri Suktam really change people's lives? I can't say for certain, of course, but I know what I think.

Glory to Śrī Devī that you see her power in your life!

Something that I have been meaning to do is give Sītā the credit for the job that I have. I had given her some offerings and implored her for the job. Soon, I obtained the job that I have now. :)

Jai Maa Lakshmi!

a547c3a805a3a2bf912ca533f53680f0.jpg

That’s a beautiful picture. Jaya Śrī Devī!

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
I’ve watched some of his videos, read some of his blog posts, and read some excerpts from one of his books in the magazine Tattvāloka. I think he’s great. I like his advice that if our sādhanā or spiritual practice is making us into a kinder or more loving person, then we should continue doing what we’re doing.

I bet it feels good to have a more guaranteed income now after all those years of freelancing!

Something that I have been meaning to do is give Sītā the credit for the job that I have. I had given her some offerings and implored her for the job. Soon, I obtained the job that I have now. :)
I love Sita very much...

My husband promised Lakshmi that if she found us a house, he'd make her a shrine in the center of it.

The house we bought should have been double the price that we got it for, but the former inhabitants got as inebriated as they could and said "let's remodel!" Took down the value quite a bit(my favorite was the showerhead that pointed directly on the floor), but it was stuff that were mostly cosmetic. The house had everything we wanted and needed. If not for the problems, it would have been unaffordable.

He did make good on his promise.

mangalavara

हर हर महादेव
Premium Member
Took down the value quite a bit(my favorite was the showerhead that pointed directly on the floor)

Wow! How useless…

Was there a hallway that got narrower and narrower to the point that the person walking through the hallway has to get down and crawl to the end due to the lack of height and width of the hallway? Or maybe a tree planted directly in front of the garage door?

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
Wow! How useless…

Was there a hallway that got narrower and narrower to the point that the person walking through the hallway has to get down and crawl to the end due to the lack of height and width of the hallway? Or maybe a tree planted directly in front of the garage door?
Those things would have been too much fun...

Vinidra

Jai Mata Di!

That’s a beautiful picture. Jaya Śrī Devī!

Of all the various avatars of Maa Lakshmi, Sita is the one I'm most drawn to. :)

I'm in my second week of work now. I wasn't doing so great the first few days, so I asked Saraswati Devi to help me out. I love all the Devis, but if I had to choose just one as an "ishta," it'd be her.

I recited the "Yah Kundendu" stotram and asked if she'd please help me do better. She did. Today, my trainer pulled me aside after work and told me she wanted to fast-track me to a supervisory position, even though I'm not even through training yet. :hushed:

So yeah, I can't say enough about all the blessings that Mother has, for some reason, seen fit to bestow upon me.

Jai Maa Saraswati!

saraswati.jpg

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
I have been praying to Shiva........ and Ganapathi, although I am Hare Krishna.

I was told Krishna is a mukthi-dayaka and I should not pray to him even for seeking liberation. My guru advised me to pray to Shiva who is Gopeshwar Mahadev in Gaudiya tradition who is one of the 5 main deities who can grant Vrindavan at Goloka to the aspirant. Hence I pray to Shiva.

I feel blissful praying to Shiva. Although in the pictures, he is seated as a yogi with snakes all around his body with muscular arms (seeming like a tough god), in actuality I think of him as extremely benevolent and rather innocent-natured.

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
I have been praying to Shiva........ and Ganapathi, although I am Hare Krishna.

I was told Krishna is a mukthi-dayaka and I should not pray to him even for seeking liberation. My guru advised me to pray to Shiva who is Gopeshwar Mahadev in Gaudiya tradition who is one of the 5 main deities who can grant Vrindavan at Goloka to the aspirant. Hence I pray to Shiva.

I feel blissful praying to Shiva. Although in the pictures, he is seated as a yogi with snakes all around his body with muscular arms (seeming like a tough god), in actuality I think of him as extremely benevolent and rather innocent-natured.
Can you tell me about Gopeshwar Mahadev?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I was told Krishna is a mukthi-dayaka and I should not pray to him even for seeking liberation. I think of him as extremely benevolent and rather innocent-natured.
Which five, Viraja?
Yeah, he is that. Even Bhasmasura was able to fool him.
"Aughadh Dani", one who gives without any reason.
What is it to him!

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Can you tell me about Gopeshwar Mahadev?
JustGeorge, you may have heard about Krishna's Rasa-leela. He danced with many gopis wherein he manifested himself many times so that each gopi got to dance with him. Lord Shiva wanted to participate in this dance. Since it was only for females, he transformed himself into a female form and went and danced with Krishna in Rasa-Leela. This form of Shiva is known as Gopeshwar Mahadev. There is a temple in Vrindavan where Shiva is in this form. Attaching picture. In Gaudiya tradition, he is one of the 5 main deities who can grant a person residence in Vrindavan. He is a guardian of the dham. My guru told me he is capable of granting a person residence in Goloka.

1725533291289.png