• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible Alone is Not Enough

Before I start posting, I want to make sure my intentions are clear. I am simply looking for good conversation and seeing other people's viewpoints. I am a Roman Catholic and love my faith. I do have a lot of questions about why some protestants believe what they believe.

This particular post is to look into why many protestants believe in 'Sola Scriptura'. Even if you do not believe in Sola Scriptura, but you believe that all a person needs is to read the bible to get to know Christ, this question would apply to you.

So here is my question: if the Bible alone is enough, can anyone tell me when the Bible was actually compiled into the version that we know today?

Thanks - I've already seen that there has been some interesting RC related conversations - its just hard to join in after there's been 80+ posts. :) Hopefully we'll get some good topics on RC started.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
quietlight said:
So here is my question: if the Bible alone is enough, can anyone tell me when the Bible was actually compiled into the version that we know today?
Good question! I look forward to the answers to this. :)

athanasius

quietlight said:
Thanks - I've already seen that there has been some interesting RC related conversations - its just hard to join in after there's been 80+ posts. :) Hopefully we'll get some good topics on RC started.

Hey check out this debate I did on sola scriptura, especially post # 245 which I feel puts the nail in the coffin of this destructive doctrine.

Here is the link

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16456&page=25

enjoy. Looking forward to meeeting you.

Mary Ark of the New Covenant Pray for us,
Athanasius:liturgy:

That is certainly well stated (if not lengthy).

I would really be interested, though, in hearing what some non-Catholics believe in terms of the Bible.

1. How did the Bible come to be?
  2. What did the Christians do before there was a Bible?
  3. Is the Bible the only guide to know Jesus?
  4. If not, what else are we to rely on?
I am constantly baffled by Christians who rely solely on Scripture without understanding where it came from...

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Welcome. Good to see someone elese here who see sola scriptura for the nonsense it is. You can join the likes of Athanasius and I in trying to batter some sense into the poor souls who still refuse to see it, but don't necessarily expect much success - I've been here quite some time and it still comes up again and again and those who hold to it still never see (but then I guess they have a vested interest not to, given how many Apostolic practices and doctrines they've usually abandoned because they're 'not in the Bible').

James

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
quietlight said:

Latter Day Saints do not believe in Sola Scriptura and we believe that many plain and precious doctrines were lost from scriptures so the Bible is not enough.

I guess I don't fit your requirements but I will be interested to hear the argument of someone who does believe this.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
*Paul* said:
I set down a challenge which no on took up here:

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44589&page=9

Posts 86,88 & 89

Only to be indirectly insulted by MadLlama in post 126

But i'll happily post it again here and we can debate it.
Those posts are very long Paul, i'm not surprised people didn't take the time to reply. Perhaps if you gave a one post summary of the most important points we could get a debate going :).

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
This particular post is to look into why many protestants believe in 'Sola Scriptura'. Even if you do not believe in Sola Scriptura, but you believe that all a person needs is to read the bible to get to know Christ, this question would apply to you.

I have no idea what the Sola Scriptura is. I'll go look it up later. I think, to get to know Christ, one must begin with reading the Bible. But prayer and hymns and christian fellowship are all parts of getting to know Christ, too. So I'm not sure if I meet your requirements or not...? Let me know if I do, I wouldn't mind talking about it, even tho I don't know what the Sola Scriptura is right now. :)

A

angellous_evangellous

Anade said:
I have no idea what the Sola Scriptura is. I'll go look it up later. I think, to get to know Christ, one must begin with reading the Bible. But prayer and hymns and christian fellowship are all parts of getting to know Christ, too. So I'm not sure if I meet your requirements or not...? Let me know if I do, I wouldn't mind talking about it, even tho I don't know what the Sola Scriptura is right now. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sola_scriptura

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Yes, after reading about it in Wikipedia, I suppose I believe in the Sola Scriptura. The Bible is all we need for teaching, it is perfect and complete.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Anade said:
Yes, after reading about it in Wikipedia, I suppose I believe in the Sola Scriptura. The Bible is all we need for teaching, it is perfect and complete.

What about everything that was left out of the Bible when it was compiled? Did those not have truth in them as well? Why were they discarded? What about mistakes written in by the hundreds of thousdands of translations?!?

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
What about everything that was left out of the Bible when it was compiled? Did those not have truth in them as well? Why were they discarded? What about mistakes written in by the hundreds of thousdands of translations?!?

There may have indeed been some truth in them, but I don't think they are necessary for our faith, because they're not in the Bible. Why were they left out? I have faith that everything God wants to be in the Bible is in there. What mistakes are you talking about exactly?

UnTheist

beckysoup61 said:

I would say that is impossible to ignore, and it is impossible for the Bible to be 100% perfect.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
smoky*mountain*starlight said:
Hi, Starlight. If you believe that the Bible is perfect, could you tell me which translation you're referring to? If you believe the Bible is complete, could you (1) tell me where to find Paul's third epistle to the Corinthians? (2) tell me where the Bible tells us it's complete? (3) tell me why what is now included in the Bible wasn't always included and why some of the books that were once included are no longer included?