• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible Was Right. The Earth Is Flat.

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate
Feel free to IM me if you've directly seen, as a whole, the shape of the Earth for yourself.

Not by alleged pictures, photos, videos, or anything second-hand. For yourself.

Until then, any other argument is - by definition - circumstantial and inferential, or are simply personal attacks. I'm not interested in pursuing any of that.

Eyewitness testimony is the lowest and most fallible form of evidence. The fact that you would choose the lowest and most fallible form of evidence to be convinced of a give thing being true reveals to me your lack of wisdom.

You place a challenge which you know can not be met. Only a handful of people have ever been outside of our atmosphere and most likely, none of them are here. The fact that you would choose this form as an account to be convinced reveals to me just how obstinate you truly are.

allfoak

Alchemist
It is interesting to see how important it is for people to be right on this subject.
This subject only has merit because one position is as true as the other.

The earth is both flat and round.
Technically, we are both flat and round as well.

It is not difficult to understand when you factor in the magnetic fields of ourselves and the earth.
We and the earth are surrounded by a magnetic field.
That makes the surface flat and the field makes us and the earth look round.
The surface of my body is not round but any insect could easily travel around it as if it was because i am three dimensional not two dimensional, i have a surface area.
The earth is the same way.

Last edited:

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Feel free to IM me if you've directly seen, as a whole, the shape of the Earth for yourself.

Not by alleged pictures, photos, videos, or anything second-hand. For yourself.

Until then, any other argument is - by definition - circumstantial and inferential, or are simply personal attacks. I'm not interested in pursuing any of that.
I've seen it myself, and it's spherical. Satisfied?

Shad

Veteran Member
It is interesting to see how important it is for people to be right on this subject.
This subject only has merit because one position are as true as the other.

The earth is both flat and round.
Technically, we are both flat and round as well.

It is not difficult to understand when you factor in the magnetic fields of ourselves and the earth.
We and the earth are surrounded by a magnetic field.
That makes the surface flat and the field makes us and the earth look round.
The surface of my body is not round but any insect could easily travel around it as if it was because i am three dimensional not two dimensional, i have a surface area.
The earth is the same way.

No. Merely that our perception is limited and creates an illusion of flatness based on limited samples and limited senses. You could claim certain areas are flat not the Earth itself.

buddhist

Buy a plane ticket(s) and fly around the world.
Save up a ton of money, build a rocket, and go up to outerspace. Also, an easier option is to just download the International Space Station app that includes a live camera. This shows conclusively that the earth is spherical.
I asked for people who have directly seen the whole earth for themselves, with their own eyes. Not parts of the earth as on a plane, nor through a second-hand source (e.g. via a camera). Try again.

A Vestigial Mote

I asked for people who have directly seen the whole earth for themselves, with their own eyes. Not parts of the earth as on a plane, nor through a second-hand source (e.g. via a camera). Try again.
Alright - here goes. As someone earlier stated, the Earth curves 8 inches per mile. The Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah are 12 miles long and 5 miles wide. This is probably some of the flattest land you'll find.

Step 1: Get yourself a high-powered laser, setup 4 feet off the ground, and make sure the beam is level up to at least 50 or so feet away at one end of the flats.
Step 2: On the other end, put up a projection screen that stretches up at least 14 ft. - or at the very least, 8-9 ft. above the relative height of the laser.
Step 3: The laser will act as a "tangent" line to the Earth, and what is projecting out at 4 ft. from one end of the salt flats will hit the projection screen at around the 12 ft. mark on the other end.
Step 4: Realize the Earth is round.
Step 5: Profit!!!!!!

outhouse

Atheistically
Alright - here goes. As someone earlier stated, the Earth curves 8 inches per mile. The Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah are 12 miles long and 5 miles wide. This is probably some of the flattest land you'll find.

Step 1: Get yourself a high-powered laser, setup 4 feet off the ground, and make sure the beam is level up to at least 50 or so feet away at one end of the flats.
Step 2: On the other end, put up a projection screen that stretches up at least 14 ft. - or at the very least, 8-9 ft. above the relative height of the laser.
Step 3: The laser will act as a "tangent" line to the Earth, and what is projecting out at 4 ft. from one end of the salt flats will hit the projection screen at around the 12 ft. mark on the other end.

We race there. After the 10 mile course you cannot see the car

outhouse

Atheistically

You do realize this guy is POE and just wants to see how far he can jerk us around?

buddhist

Why do you require this?
I require this, and personal experience, to know one way or another.

If you haven't experienced something for yourself, then you don't really know about it, you only believe in it.

I'm not suggesting that I care to know one way or another on this topic. It's just that the round-Earthers, and perhaps some flat-Earthers, are pushing their belief as knowledge, when it isn't. I fully admit that my flat-earth belief is just that, a belief.

This ties in with my religious faith: I rejected religions which demanded beliefs, preferring knowledge promised instead by early Buddhism. I suppose that my participation in this thread is more about belief vs knowledge than about the shape of the Earth.

Parsimony

Even if someone here was an astronaut, why would you even bother asking them if they've seen the whole Earth from space? It's not like you'd accept their testimony as proof of anything.