• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible Was Right. The Earth Is Flat.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
If you haven't experienced something for yourself, then you don't really know about it, you only believe in it.
I've never seen the Grand Canyon, Eiffel Tower, Canada, Texas, an atom, the satellite my phone depends on to work, and I've never seen Seattle, the place I'm planning on moving to, but I know all these things exist.

buddhist

I've never seen the Grand Canyon, Eiffel Tower, Canada, Texas, an atom, the satellite my phone depends on to work, and I've never seen Seattle, the place I'm planning on moving to, but I know all these things exist.
I would say that "I believe all those things exist", instead ... at least until I experienced them for myself.

buddhist

Even if someone here was an astronaut, why would you even bother asking them if they've seen the whole Earth from space? It's not like you'd accept their testimony as proof of anything.
You're right, it's not proof. But it might shift my beliefs towards one direction or another. It would still be a belief though, until I learn how to experience it for myself.

Parsimony

You're right, it's not proof. But it might shift my beliefs towards one direction or another. It would still be a belief though, until I learn how to experience it for myself.
So why would the testimony of actual astronauts not provide the same thing for you? Why do you need to hear one here on the forum?

buddhist

What kind of questions would you ask?
Honestly, I don't know yet.

I suppose this ties in to early Buddhism's philosophy, where I and my personal experiences are my final authority, and we require knowledge grown from the seed of belief. We do not surrender our authority to any other power, authority figure, impressive costumes or other uniforms, written scriptures, tradition, etc. This topic I treat no differently.

Jonathan Ainsley Bain

Logical Positivist
A circling sun above the plane of the Earth is also explained in some flat-Earth theories.

My Bible does not say that.

However, that would still not explain how when I was speaking to someone on the phone 11 hours away, it was midnight at midday?
Then I traveled to that place and spoke back to my family and had the situation reverse.

Nor how whilst living in Africa, I accidentally phoned Canada and got rudely abused by a Canadian woman for waking her up
'in the middle of the night'!

Also the delay in the phone signal accompanying these weird events?

No flat Earth theory can explain that I am afraid!!

Have you ever observed the orbits of Mercury and Venus, and how they stay close to the sun?
If you spend some time on it, you can clearly see how Venus especially gets dimmer and brighter
as it orbits the Sun.

Also note Mars and Jupiter when in close proximity to each other. Mars doubles back on Jupiter then races ahead.
This one is a bit more complex, but only if you picture yourself within a solar system model, can such a phenomenon
be understood.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Honestly, I don't know yet.

I suppose this ties in to early Buddhism's philosophy, where I and my personal experiences are my final authority, and we require knowledge grown from the seed of belief. We do not surrender our authority to any other power, authority figure, impressive costumes or other uniforms, written scriptures, tradition, etc. This topic I treat no differently.
So your personal experience is infallible? There is no better means to ascertain, to a reasonable degree, knowledge about anything other than direct, personal experience of the thing itself?

Also, you still don't understand what circumstantial evidence is. It is not "any evidence other than a direct, personal experience of the alleged fact or event", it is evidence which does not DIRECTLY contribute to a given conclusion. For example, finding a culprit's fingerprints in the same room as the murder victim could be considered circumstantial evidence that they committed the crime. However, finding the culprit's fingerprints on the murder weapon is not circumstantial. The first merely adds credibility to the claim that the victim was in the room at some point, whereas the latter lends credibility to the claim that the culprit handled the murder weapon and thus lends credibility to the claim that the culprit is guilty.

By your standard, "evidence" becomes a meaningless term, because evidence is necessarily reliant on some degree of inference. They are facts which LEND CREDIBILITY to a given hypothesis. That is why the earth's round shadow is NOT circumstantial. Nor are the countless observations of the earth's curvature, the thousands (if not millions) of people who have circumnavigated the globe, and the many people who have observed earth from space. None of that is circumstantial, they are all facts which directly correlate with a round earth and directly contradict a flat earth. To ignore this goes beyond mere ignorance into the realm of utter delusion.

buddhist

My Bible does not say that.

However, that would still not explain how when I was speaking to someone on the phone 11 hours away, it was midnight at midday?
Then I traveled to that place and spoke back to my family and had the situation reverse.

Nor how whilst living in Africa, I accidentally phoned Canada and got rudely abused by a Canadian woman for waking her up
'in the middle of the night'!

Also the delay in the phone signal accompanying these weird events?

No flat Earth theory can explain that I am afraid!!
I'd rather not get into the details of flat-earth cosmology as it gets into the realm of circumstantial evidence again, but suffice it to say, the "time zone" issue you've described has been addressed by flat-Earth theory if you care to look into it.

Have you ever observed the orbits of Mercury and Venus, and how they stay close to the sun?
If you spend some time on it, you can clearly see how Venus especially gets dimmer and brighter
as it orbits the Sun.

Also note Mars and Jupiter when in close proximity to each other. Mars doubles back on Jupiter then races ahead. This one is a bit more complex, but only if you picture yourself within a solar system model, can such a phenomenon
be understood.
The world famous astronomer Sir Fred Hoyle stated: "We know that the difference between a heliocentric theory and a geocentric theory is one of relative motion only, and that such a difference has no physical significance" and "Today we cannot say that the Copernican theory is "right" and the Ptolemaic theory is "wrong" in any meaningful sense.The two theories...are physically equivalent to one another."

A Vestigial Mote

A circling sun above the plane of the Earth is also explained in some flat-Earth theories.
The sun "circling" above a "flat surface" of the Earth WOULD NOT ALLOW BOTH DAY AND NIGHT AT THE SAME TIME. The sun would ALWAYS be visible from any point on the flat plane if it was above it and always be invisible if it were below. You can't account for this in a flat model - and yet THIS IS THE REALITY.

A Vestigial Mote

I'd rather not get into the details of flat-earth cosmology as it gets into the realm of circumstantial evidence again, but suffice it to say, the "time zone" issue you've described has been addressed by flat-Earth theory if you care to look into it.

Because "[you'd] rather not get into the details", I went and looked it up on "Flat Earth Wiki":

Day/night cycle on a Flat Earth
Day and night cycles are easily explained on a flat earth. The sun moves in circles around the North Pole. When it is over your head, it's day. When it's not, it's night. The sun acts like a spotlight and shines downward as it moves. The picture below illustrates how the sun moves and also how seasons work on a flat earth. The apparent effect of the sun rising and setting is usually explained as a perspective effect.

An animation of the day/night cycle in FET:

180px-SunAnimation.gif

This is just... well, it's bad. "When it is over your head it is day. When it's not, it's night." and "The apparent effect of the sun rising and setting is usually explained as a perspective effect." are horrifyingly inadequate descriptions of... well... of nothing at all. A PERSPECTIVE EFFECT?! With no more description or information than that we're supposed to what? Accept this NONSENSE? I am absolutely positive you have nothing better to offer than this, and this is, I am sorry to say, garbage. Even if the sun only shone down like a spot-light as the animation tends to suggest, would you not still see a GIANT BEAM OF LIGHT shining down, far-off in the distance? Couldn't you see this "spotlight" with a telescope? Oh wait... no... that's right... you can't see it due to the "perspective effect." Terrible. Just terrible.

allfoak

Alchemist
The sun "circling" above a "flat surface" of the Earth WOULD NOT ALLOW BOTH DAY AND NIGHT AT THE SAME TIME. The sun would ALWAYS be visible from any point on the flat plane if it was above it and always be invisible if it were below. You can't account for this in a flat model - and yet THIS IS THE REALITY.

The earth is both flat and round.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Because "[you'd] rather not get into the details", I went and looked it up on "Flat Earth Wiki":

Day/night cycle on a Flat Earth
Day and night cycles are easily explained on a flat earth. The sun moves in circles around the North Pole. When it is over your head, it's day. When it's not, it's night. The sun acts like a spotlight and shines downward as it moves. The picture below illustrates how the sun moves and also how seasons work on a flat earth. The apparent effect of the sun rising and setting is usually explained as a perspective effect.

An animation of the day/night cycle in FET:

View attachment 11834

This is just... well, it's bad. "When it is over your head it is day. When it's not, it's night." and "The apparent effect of the sun rising and setting is usually explained as a perspective effect." are horrifyingly inadequate descriptions of... well... of nothing at all. A PERSPECTIVE EFFECT?! With no more description or information than that we're supposed to what? Accept this NONSENSE? I am absolutely positive you have nothing better to offer than this, and this is, I am sorry to say, garbage. Even if the sun only shone down like a spot-light as the animation tends to suggest, would you not still see a GIANT BEAM OF LIGHT shining down, far-off in the distance? Couldn't you see this "spotlight" with a telescope? Oh wait... no... that's right... you can't see it due to the "perspective effect." Terrible. Just terrible.
Gotta believe these flat earthers are really college astronomy students seeing how far they can take their bogus flat earth as a prank. Making it sound as plausible as possible without loosing too many gullible followers.

Nice post BTW. (Love their silly/ridiculous animation) I have to ask, do flat earthers really believe that the diameter of the Sun is no larger than the radius of the flat earth, whatever that is?

Last edited: