• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible Was Right. The Earth Is Flat.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes I think I have that book stashed somewhere. It was long time ago I read it.
I liked it.....very early sci fi (1884).
Perhaps 2nd behind Frankenstein?
Anyway, I've heard that some people are researching possible life mechanics in 2 dimensions.
Some people have too much time on their hands.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Apparently no one caught my "Get bent!" comment to Revoltingest. Gravity doesn't "suck" nor attract, it's that mass bends space-time.

djhwoodwerks

Oh, yeah....circles have edges.
Here....I'll draw one for you as viewed from a co-planar perspective.....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's funny! You should pick up a marble or tennis ball or baseball and see if you can make it look like that. On paper you can make anything look the way you want it to, but in reality, a globe has no edge.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's funny! You should pick up a marble or tennis ball or baseball and see if you can make it look like that. On paper you can make anything look the way you want it to, but in reality, a globe has no edge.
Well, I'm rather provincial in having a strictly 3-D physical perspective.
But to a 4-D being, a sphere might have a "line" sensibility to it when viewed from a co-spherical perspective.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Apparently no one caught my "Get bent!" comment to Revoltingest. Gravity doesn't "suck" nor attract, it's that mass bends space-time.
When one must explain a joke, this is a failure
which should tell one to skip the explanation.
Why am I such an authority?
I know failure.

ThirtyThree

Scripture is replete with a multitude of clear references to the Earth being not a globe suspended in space, but a flat surface. Just a few of these descriptions would be:

1.) In Matthew 4:8-9 Idiot Satan taking Jesus up on a very high mountain to show Him "All the kingdoms of the Earth." A globe Earth would not permit such a perspective, but a flat Earth would.

If that city was considered the world, then that was the world. "All the eye could see", basically.

2.) Genesis 1:6-8 has the original Hebrew Text word for "dome," which is the shape of the firmament above the flat Earth.

Specifically, the expanse of the sky. Does it look like a dome? Yes it does. Go look up into the sky.

You may also read the description another way. You may see the firmament as I do, as a dimensional barrier between "the water/chaos" from "the water/ordered world or atmosphere/space". What the Jews believed then becomes of no importance, as the Bible can be read many ways, not just one. It can state the Earth is flat or round. However, the ancient Jews did believe it was flat, for the record.

3.) 1 Samuel 2:8 and Job 9:6 speak of the "pillars" of the Earth, which would not be within a solid sphere.

If it is a metaphor, "pillars" is a correct term to use regarding a spherical planet.

By the way, "Pillars" means this:

מָצוּק
matsuwq:
molten support, pillar, column. It may also refer to mountains.

These three points should be enough for this little introductory discussion, just to get your sensitive and heretofore gullible hearts started onto the path of Biblical Cosmology. There is much more Scripture to know about regarding the Earth, none of which speak of a spheroid Earth.

Isa 40:22: It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

CIRCLE:
חוּג
chuwg: Specifically relating to the arch or vault of the sky.

Now, where does any of the above state the Earth is flat? However, again it is important to note that the ancient Jews did believe in a flat Earth and they did perceive everything from that perspective. Does this mean the Bible makes the same claim? Remember, the Bible is a book of spiritual knowledge and contains history of an ancient people. If this book is inspired by the god of those people, it must not be be written in a double language, which it is. The book can be taken many different ways. In fact, you may benefit from another creation account from Enoch:

Last edited:

ThirtyThree

Enoch's Vision said:
3 Hear, Enoch, and take in these my words, for not to My angels have I told my secret, and I have not told them their rise, nor my endless realm, nor have they understood my creating, which I tell thee to-day.

4 For before all things were visible, I alone used to go about in the invisible things, like the sun from east to west, and from west to east.

5 But even the sun has peace in itself, while I found no peace, because I was creating all things, and I conceived the thought of placing foundations, and of creating visible creation.

I COMMANDED in the very lowest parts, that visible things should come down from invisible, and Adoil came down very great, and I beheld him, and lo! he had a belly of great light.

2 And I said to him: 'Become undone, Adoil, and let the visible come out of thee.'

3 And he came undone, and a great light came out. And I was in the midst of the great light, and as there is born light from light, there came forth a great age, and showed all creation, which I had thought to create.

4 And I saw that it was good.

5 And I placed for myself a throne, and took my seat on it, and said to the light: 'Go thou up higher and fix thyself high above the throne, and be a foundation to the highest things.'

6 And above the light there is nothing else, and then I bent up and looked up from my throne.

AND I summoned the very lowest a second time, and said: 'Let Archas come forth hard,' and he came forth hard from the invisible.

2 And Archas came forth, hard, heavy, and very red.

3 And I said: 'Be opened, Archas, and let there be born from thee,' and he came undone, an age came forth, very great and very dark, bearing the creation of all lower things, and I saw that it was good and said to him:

4 'Go thou down below, and make thyself firm, and be for a foundation for the lower things,' and it happened and he went down and fixed himself, and became the foundation for the lower things, and below the darkness there is nothing else.

AND I commanded that there should be taken from light and darkness, and I said: 'Be thick,' and it became thus

and I spread it out with the light, and it became water, and I spread it out over the darkness, below the light, and then I made firm the waters, that is to say

p. 91

the bottomless, and I made foundation of light around the water, and created seven circles from inside, and imaged it (sc. the water) like crystal wet and dry, that is to say like glass, and the circumcession of the waters and the other elements, and I showed each one of them its road, and the seven stars each one of them in its heaven, that they go thus, and I saw that it was good.

2 And I separated between light and between darkness, that is to say in the midst of the water hither and thither, and I said to the light, that it should be the day, and to the darkness, that it should be the night, and there was evening and there was morning the first day.

AND then I made firm the heavenly circle, and made that the lower water which is under heaven collect itself together, into one whole, and that the chaos become dry, and it became so.

2 Out of the waves I created rock hard and big, and from the rock I piled up the dry, and the dry I called earth, and the midst of the earth I called abyss, that is to say the bottomless, I collected the sea in one place and bound it together with a yoke.

3 And I said to the sea: 'Behold I give thee thy eternal limits, and thou shalt not break loose from thy component parts.'

4 Thus I made fast the firmament. This day I called me the first-created.

AND for all the heavenly troops I imaged the image and essence of fire, and my eye looked at the very hard, firm rock, and from the gleam of my eye the lightning received its wonderful nature, which is both fire in water and water in fire, and one does not put out the other, nor does the one dry up the other, therefore the lightning is brighter than the sun, softer than water and firmer than hard rock.

2 And from the rock I cut off a great fire, and from the fire I created the orders of the incorporeal ten troops of angels, and their weapons are fiery and their raiment a burning flame, and I commanded that each one should stand in his order.

Here Satanail with his angels was thrown down from the height.

3 And one from out the order of angels, having turned away with the order that was under him, conceived an impossible thought, to place his throne higher than the clouds above the earth, that he might become equal in rank to my power.

4 And I threw him out from the height with his angels, and he was flying in the air continuously above the bottomless.

ON the third day I commanded the earth to make grow great and fruitful trees, and

p. 92

hills, and seed to sow, and I planted Paradise, and enclosed it, and placed as armed guardians flaming angels, and thus I created renewal.

2 Then came evening, and came morning the fourth day.

3 [Wednesday]. On the fourth day I commanded that there should be great lights on the heavenly circles.

4 On the first uppermost circle I placed the stars, Kruno, and on the second Aphrodit, on the third Aris, on the fifth Zeus, on the sixth Ermis, on the seventh lesser the moon, and adorned it with the lesser stars.

5 And on the lower I placed the sun for the illumination of day, and the moon and stars for the illumination of night.

6 The sun that it should go according to each animal (sc. signs of the zodiac), twelve, and I appointed the succession of the months and their names and lives, their thunderings, and their hour-markings, how they should succeed.

7 Then evening came and morning came the fifth day.

8 [Thursday]. On the fifth day I commanded the sea, that it should bring forth fishes, and feathered birds of many varieties, and all animals creeping over the earth, going forth over the earth on four legs, and soaring in the air, male sex and female, and every soul breathing the spirit of life.

9 And there came evening, and there came morning the sixth day.

10 [Friday]. On the sixth day I commanded my wisdom to create man from seven consistencies: one, his flesh from the earth; two, his blood from the dew; three, his eyes from the sun; four, his bones from stone; five, his intelligence from the swiftness of the angels and from cloud; six, his veins and his hair from the grass of the earth; seven, his soul from my breath and from the wind.

11 And I gave him seven natures: to the flesh hearing, the eyes for sight, to the soul smell, the veins for touch, the blood for taste, the bones for endurance, to the intelligence sweetness (sc. enjoyment).

12 I conceived a cunning saying to say, I created man from invisible and from visible nature, of both are his death and life and image, he knows speech like some created thing, small in greatness and again great in smallness, and I placed him on earth, a second angel, honourable, great and glorious, and I appointed him as ruler to rule on earth and to have my wisdom, and there was none like him of earth of all my existing creatures.

13 And I appointed him a name, from the four component parts, from east, from west, from south, from north, and I appointed for him four special stars, and I called his name Adam, and showed him the two ways, the light and the darkness, and I told him:

14 'This is good, and that bad,' that I should learn whether he has love towards me, or hatred, that it be clear which in his race love me.

15 For I have seen his nature, but he has not seen his own nature, therefore through not seeing he will sin worse, and I said 'After sin what is there but death?'

16 And I put sleep into him and he fell asleep. And I took from him a rib, and created him a wife, that death should come to him by his wife, and I took his last word and called her name mother, that is to say, Eva.

ADAM has life on earth, and I created a garden in Eden in the east, that he should observe the testament and keep the command.

2 I made the heavens open to him, that he should see the angels singing the song of victory, and the gloomless light.

3 And he was continuously in paradise, and the devil understood that I wanted to create another world, because Adam was lord on earth, to rule and control it.

4 The devil is the evil spirit of the lower places, as a fugitive he made Sotona from the heavens as his name was Satanail, thus he became different from the angels, but his nature did not change his intelligence as far as his understanding of righteous and sinful things.

5 And he understood his condemnation and the sin which he had sinned before, therefore he conceived thought against Adam, in such form he entered and seduced Eva, but did not touch Adam.

6 But I cursed ignorance, but what I had blessed previously, those I did not curse, I cursed not man, nor the earth, nor other creatures, but man's evil fruit, and his works.

I SAID to him: 'Earth thou art, and into the earth whence I took thee thou shalt go, and I will not ruin thee, but send thee whence I took thee.

2 Then I can again take thee at My second coming!

3 And I blessed all my creatures visible and invisible. And Adam was five and half hours in paradise.

4 And I blessed the seventh day, which is the Sabbath, on which he rested from all his works.

Some science to be given for those here who like the idea of science helping them figure things out in life would be:

1.) Gyroscopic navigation successfully used for decades would not be possible upon a spinning globe Earth. The reference gyros would continuously precess and move as the globe Earth spins. Planes, ships, and missles would crash.

That is just strange.

2.) A globe Earth would not continuously spin around the Polaris star, as the Earth hurtles in three axis motion through space in the Solar System, Galaxy, and Galaxy Cluster, all moving at millions of miles per hour.

That is stranger.

3.) There exist no actual photos of the Earth taken from space vehicles. All NASA Earth images from them are admitted by them to be "composite images" artificially produced. As well, those images never show sky blue atmosphere around the Earth as we see it from the Earth.

You are correct about composite images. However, you might wish to notice the following non composite image: https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/nasa-captures-epic-earth-image/

187_1003705_americas_dxm.png

4.) A thousand mph surface speed at the spinning equator of a globe Earth would have long ago forced all of the crustally mobile continents to move to the equator. But, this has not happened.

Okay...

5.) There is no physical mechanism to cause the Earth's atmosphere to spin at the same rate as the surface of a spheroid Earth. The wind at the equator of a globe Earth should be supersonic, but it is not.

Weirder...

It will serve no purpose for yourself or any purpose within this discussion for you to become emotionally upset, attitudinally snarky, or full of ad hominem when you try to post your thoughts. Try to honor The Lord and His Bible with manly and efficacious statements. Hyperbolic accusations should be left to the Women. Thanks for your cooperation.

Remember, Jesus loves you so very much He will protect your heart from informational anguish when facing Truth. "Thy Word is Truth."

Pardon Sir. Do you actually believe the Earth is flat?

Stokley

Did "W
"He sitteth upon the circle of the earth." Isaiah 40:22

It's easy to confound those who slander God and His Bible. Because "Thy word is truth." Right? Right.

But,, the scripture that we all (Christians) should turn to when reading your posts is, Jude 4.
Did "We" here forget to notice "circle" does not say "globe/sphere"?

Lol.

"We" can also see Jude 4 says nothing about a globe Earth, and referencing Jude 4 at this point demonstrates "one's" resorting to weak ad hominem because of an inability to deal with facts. Lol. This is so much fun.

Stokley

Let me
That's a good one, I forgot about that verse.

Isa 40:22 (ESVST) 22 It is he who sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers;
Let me lovingly help your English comprehension in the Wonderful Name of Jesus.

"Circle" does not mean "globe." Lol. Can you rejoice in the truth, as God has instructed you to within His definition of Love?

Maybe not? Too stubborn? Lol.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
They are called satellites and they are up in this big dark expanse called SPACE. Go look it up, it is huge!
Very good! I'm so proud.

Now for a bit of a physics lesson, and I suggest you don't sleep through this one! If the earth were flat, gravity wouldn't work. Even if you wanted to handwave it so it did, you couldn't orbit. That requires a three-dimensional object. It fails on a 2 dimensional one.

Class dismissed.

ThirtyThree

Job 26:10 (ESVST) 10 He has inscribed a circle on the face of the waters at the boundary between light and darkness.

A circle is round, isn't it?

Job 26:10: He hath compassed the waters with bounds, until the day and night come to an end.

And he circled the waters (waters actually translated to "the face") with bounds (prescribed limits). Go figure.

Stokley

I
@Stokley Your post is written with enough intelligence to make me think this is probably a joke or a mock.
I notice, just as I predicted about people as yourself, you cannot factually refute any part of the OP, but have instead referred to weak ad hominem.

Are you emotionally affected by what I posted ... ? Lol.

Stokley

Did you forget
Very good! I'm so proud.

Now for a bit of a physics lesson, and I suggest you don't sleep through this one! If the earth were flat, gravity wouldn't work. Even if you wanted to handwave it so it did, you couldn't orbit. That requires a three-dimensional object. It fails on a 2 dimensional one.

Class dismissed.
Did you forget to remember the most recent Astrophysical Evidence shows "gravity" is actually a pushing force coming from the far reaches of the Universe?

Tell me if that makes you feel desperate and uncomfortable. Lol.

Stokley

sppeare
Lots of things, like bacteria, aren't in the Bible either. I'm pretty sure there aren't any guns either. Or computers. Or the internet. And anyway, I've got Gods. Keep your Cowardly-Christ, I'll take my chances with the Gods of the North.

Apparently, in your mind this topic has become a discussion about yourself.

Lol. Have a nice little life!