• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The bright side of Atheism

Nice: as an atheist you can strike the word "blasphemy" from your vocabulary.

Eddie Izzard- "Blass f' me, blass f'you ...blass f' everyone!!!" :p

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Question - and it's a sincere one.

What do you, as an atheist, believe regarding "right and wrong" and the choices that humans make?

Are poor choices (whether you choose to call them "right or wrong" or choices made knowing that other people will be negatively affected) ever made by atheists? If so - should atheists feel remorse, or regret? Should atheists whose choices harm others feel any guilt? Why or why not?
I don't like to call myself an atheist although others call me that. I'm still looking for answers about why we're here so I prefer the term, agnostic.

I like you so I'll say this with soft kitty tissues >>> insert my good intentions since you can't see me<<<<<. :)

I find your questions pretty insulting, actually. It's one of those insinuating sentences that try to say those with no religious beliefs couldn't possibly have any morals or know the difference between right and wrong because there's no god in the equation. Seriously? You really think that? That saddens me and it's terribly ignorant.

My life is no different now. I still haven't cheated on my husband. Still don't steal. Still love my neighbors, children and friends. I do more charity work than ever before. If I may be so bold, I'd have to say my heart is bigger now. It's so much more free to love. The ropes and chains and weights have been removed. I've never been happier. Surely that can't sound so awful?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Nice: as an atheist you can strike the word "blasphemy" from your vocabulary.

Eddie Izzard- "Blass f' me, blass f'you ...blass f' everyone!!!" :p

Actually, I found myself using that word a little while ago. I simply noticed that blasphemy is not against divinity, but rather against that what is sacred ... at least that is how I use the word.

Alceste

Vagabond
I don't like to call myself an atheist although others call me that. I'm still looking for answers about why we're here so I prefer the term, agnostic.

I like you so I'll say this with soft kitty tissues >>> insert my good intentions since you can't see me<<<<<. :)

I find your questions pretty insulting, actually. It's one of those insinuating sentences that try to say those with no religious beliefs couldn't possibly have any morals or know the difference between right and wrong because there's no god in the equation. Seriously? You really think that? That saddens me and it's terribly ignorant.

My life is no different now. I still haven't cheated on my husband. Still don't steal. Still love my neighbors, children and friends. I do more charity work than ever before. If I may be so bold, I'd have to say my heart is bigger now. It's so much more free to love. The ropes and chains and weights have been removed. I've never been happier. Surely that can't sound so awful?

I get what you mean. :) The short answer is that we feel remorse for the unethical things (if any) we've actually done, but we don't have to carry around a bunch of crazy, pointless remorse for being born "sinners" with Christ's blood on our hands.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.

I find your questions pretty insulting, actually. It's one of those insinuating sentences that try to say those with no religious beliefs couldn't possibly have any morals or know the difference between right and wrong because there's no god in the equation.

OK, I'm using soft kitty tissues too in my response, because I like you as well.

Sorry for misunderstanding that you are indeed not an atheist. So now that we've got the designations clear, I guess it's also clear that I don't mean this as any sort of personal INSULT - since you're not even an atheist to begin with (to clarify, I don't mean it as a personal insult to atheists either, but that's beside the point because you're not one - more on this in a minute).

I'm not insinuating ANYTHING. For starters, that's not my style - if I mean to say something, I'm just going to say it, diplomacy not being one of my stronger suits. My question was sincere, because frankly I'm surprised to find so many people (not limited to atheists) stating that one of the perks of atheism is guilt free living.

I want clarification on that, which is why I asked my questions in all sincerity. I don't understand how a belief system - ANY belief system - that includes any sort of empathy toward other people could possibly come with a "no guilt guarantee" and that's the implication I saw on this thread - which is why I asked for clarification.

It's one of those insinuating sentences that try to say those with no religious beliefs couldn't possibly have any morals or know the difference between right and wrong because there's no god in the equation.Seriously? You really think that? That saddens me and it's terribly ignorant.

No. Seriously I DON'T think that. If I thought that, I wouldn't have asked questions for clarification - I would have simply stated my belief...or possibly not even participated in this thread. I am ASKING for clarification - and I should be able to ask just such questions in a respectful manner (which I did) without being called ignorant. But maybe I'm expecting too much of this forum or of people.

It doesn't sound awful to me - and of course no one knows whether you felt awful before, or why you feel better now, other than you - and then only if you're very introspective and honest with yourself, as I sincerely hope you are and have no reason to believe you're not.

All I can say is that personally, I could say exactly the same things you've said - as a Christian. And that doesn't sound so awful either, does it?

Glad we're both so happy and so free to love and so free of ropes and chains and weights! It's great to be alive, isn't it?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
An atheist may feel guilt, but has the advantage that he/she has fewer sources.
All people may feel it when their actions conflict with their own values, but
theists have additional guilt for failing to meet a book's values.

In my experience, there is a release of guilt and responsibility. With Christianity anyway. A release of burden. Whereas Jesus takes upon himself that burden.

Maybe it's psychological... But one gives the responsibility for their life to God. You are now free from having to always know the right thing to do.

I think maybe this was the intent originally of what Jesus taught. Obviously not how it is always applied.

Last edited:

Looncall

OK, I'm using soft kitty tissues too in my response, because I like you as well.

Sorry for misunderstanding that you are indeed not an atheist. So now that we've got the designations clear, I guess it's also clear that I don't mean this as any sort of personal INSULT - since you're not even an atheist to begin with (to clarify, I don't mean it as a personal insult to atheists either, but that's beside the point because you're not one - more on this in a minute).

I'm not insinuating ANYTHING. For starters, that's not my style - if I mean to say something, I'm just going to say it, diplomacy not being one of my stronger suits. My question was sincere, because frankly I'm surprised to find so many people (not limited to atheists) stating that one of the perks of atheism is guilt free living.

I want clarification on that, which is why I asked my questions in all sincerity. I don't understand how a belief system - ANY belief system - that includes any sort of empathy toward other people could possibly come with a "no guilt guarantee" and that's the implication I saw on this thread - which is why I asked for clarification.

No. Seriously I DON'T think that. If I thought that, I wouldn't have asked questions for clarification - I would have simply stated my belief...or possibly not even participated in this thread. I am ASKING for clarification - and I should be able to ask just such questions in a respectful manner (which I did) without being called ignorant. But maybe I'm expecting too much of this forum or of people.

It doesn't sound awful to me - and of course no one knows whether you felt awful before, or why you feel better now, other than you - and then only if you're very introspective and honest with yourself, as I sincerely hope you are and have no reason to believe you're not.

All I can say is that personally, I could say exactly the same things you've said - as a Christian. And that doesn't sound so awful either, does it?

Glad we're both so happy and so free to love and so free of ropes and chains and weights! It's great to be alive, isn't it?

I think the point is that without religion, one does not have to cope with unnecessary extra guilt.

As an example, it is clear to me the Christianity, with its notion of original sin, explicitly tries to induce a state of morbid guilt in its followers, regardless of their personal histories. My personal opinion is that it is done to keep pews and collection plates full.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I think the point is that without religion, one does not have to cope with unnecessary extra guilt.

As an example, it is clear to me the Christianity, with its notion of original sin, explicitly tries to induce a state of morbid guilt in its followers, regardless of their personal histories. My personal opinion is that it is done to keep pews and collection plates full.

Well, that's your interpretation of the issues, so thanks for that.

However, as a Christian, the only time I've experienced morbid guilt is when I've been morbidly WRONG - and this generally encompasses situations when my poor choices have negatively impacted the lives of others. And I have been "morbidly wrong" on more than one occasion, during my 52 years on this earth. (Just to clarify, I can count the times I've felt MORBIDLY guilty on one hand, with fingers left over - though I have felt really, really stupid slightly more often! :D)

My point is that, as some other theists on this thread have pointed out, not all theists struggle with unhealthy negative thought patterns or unnecessary guilt. Personally, I believe these thought patterns and feelings are the result of a faulty belief system or flawed understanding of faith and the freedom it can bring to a person's mindset and emotional wellbeing. But like your comments, these comments are just my personal opinion.

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

It is not natural to conform to Atheism/Agnosticism/Skepticism etc.
Notwithstanding the above if they are not superstitious, don’t believe in myths; and they always stick to reason,argument, dialogue and peace; they are to be appreciated. That would be their bright side.

But the big question is ; do they?

If they don’t then they have a dark side also.

Regards

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

It is not natural to conform to Atheism/Agnosticism/Skepticism etc.
Notwithstanding the above if they are not superstitious, don’t believe in myths; and they always stick to reason,argument, dialogue and peace; they are to be appreciated. That would be their bright side.

But the big question is ; do they?

If they don’t then they have a dark side also.

Regards
Atheists can be as irrational as believers.
We often see them here pushing loopy ideas like the government being here to help us.

TheGunShoj

Well, that's your interpretation of the issues, so thanks for that.

However, as a Christian, the only time I've experienced morbid guilt is when I've been morbidly WRONG - and this generally encompasses situations when my poor choices have negatively impacted the lives of others. And I have been "morbidly wrong" on more than one occasion, during my 52 years on this earth. (Just to clarify, I can count the times I've felt MORBIDLY guilty on one hand, with fingers left over - though I have felt really, really stupid slightly more often! :D)

My point is that, as some other theists on this thread have pointed out, not all theists struggle with unhealthy negative thought patterns or unnecessary guilt. Personally, I believe these thought patterns and feelings are the result of a faulty belief system or flawed understanding of faith and the freedom it can bring to a person's mindset and emotional wellbeing. But like your comments, these comments are just my personal opinion.

That may be how you feel. But can you not recognize how original sin could install perpetual guilt in others that may not have your same outlook? The fact that you're an inherently evil person from the moment you enter this world without having done anything wrong and it's inescapable by your own actions, thus requiring the acceptance of Christ for salvation? Not to mention that many religions turn perfectly normal human functions into sins thus perpetuating the cycle so the believer is constantly mired in sin and guilt over it. I can see how that would make someone feel pretty crappy and helpless.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
As a former long time theist, the GREATEST gift agnosticism/atheism has given me is the freedom from guilt.

The lovely, soft and serene life of peace one can lead when not burdened with Christian guilt. It's worth everything. I'll never go back.

whats Christian guilt

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Atheists can be as irrational as believers.
We often see them here pushing loopy ideas like the government being here to help us.

And that means they are not all-bright even if they name themselves as Brights. There is no harm if they are pointed to the darkness surrounding them so that they could correct themselves to improve/reform and shine more.

Regards

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
being an atheist itself does not actually indicate anything, it doesn't mean you're non-superstitious, more 'rational etc etc etc

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And that means they are not all-bright even if they name themselves as Brights. There is no harm if they are pointed to the darkness surrounding them so that they could correct themselves to improve/reform and shine more.
Everyone likes to think their group is special.....atheists are bright....Xians are
"good"....Texans are tall. But we're all individuals. I prefer to call myself "ignorant".

Last edited: