• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The bright side of Atheism

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
being an atheist itself does not actually indicate anything, it doesn't mean you're non-superstitious, more 'rational etc etc etc

If you are an atheist and believe that friday the 13th brings bad luck, then you are a false Atheist.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
OK, I'm using soft kitty tissues too in my response, because I like you as well.

Sorry for misunderstanding that you are indeed not an atheist. So now that we've got the designations clear, I guess it's also clear that I don't mean this as any sort of personal INSULT - since you're not even an atheist to begin with (to clarify, I don't mean it as a personal insult to atheists either, but that's beside the point because you're not one - more on this in a minute).
I didn't take it as a personal insult, actually. :) However, just asking questions of that nature is kind of demeaning. No one wants to be prompted to explain if they follow any basic morals standard or know the difference between right and wrong. I understand your inquiry better now though, so we're still good. :hug:

Also, there really isn't much difference between me (self declared agnostic) and an atheist. I think there's a very, very slight chance there's a higher being or god as defined by Christianity. I also think (notice I don't say - believe) there's a slight chance of some other type of higher power that isn't a creator, per se. That's for another thread, though. My current belief system in this genre is that I don't know but am open to knowing a god or creator. Pretty basic and boring, really. I am also at peace with not knowing.

I'm not insinuating ANYTHING. For starters, that's not my style - if I mean to say something, I'm just going to say it, diplomacy not being one of my stronger suits. My question was sincere, because frankly I'm surprised to find so many people (not limited to atheists) stating that one of the perks of atheism is guilt free living.

I want clarification on that, which is why I asked my questions in all sincerity. I don't understand how a belief system - ANY belief system - that includes any sort of empathy toward other people could possibly come with a "no guilt guarantee" and that's the implication I saw on this thread - which is why I asked for clarification.
You're giving the word "guilt" too much free range or letting it cover too broad a scope of human existence. I'm guilty of not explaining my position more succinctly. :D

The free-from-guilt I'm specifically talking about is:

I no longer feel like a loser who needs a redeemer via Christianity. The notion of being a sinner beyond redemption without the cleansing blood of Christ no longer applies. Can't you see how some sinners would feel terrible for putting a man on the cross because we're so awful and depraved that he needed to come down from the heavens to save us? Then, every time someone sins AGAIN He's up there saying "Yep, see? Those cretins keep sinning and sinning. Good thing I came down to save their butts." It's such a flawed system. God designed man to sin. Man sins, God condemns to death, therefore we need Christ. It makes ZERO sense to me anymore. And don't even get me started on the place of Hell.

Basically, because I don't believe this weird story anymore, I'm free from the guilt of sending Jesus to the cross. I'm also free to believe I'm a good person with generally good intentions who naturally messes up sometimes and has to deal with the consequences. That's it.

I'm also free from feeling like I needed to be a salesman for God. Ugh. I hated that. I was never effective about "spreading the good news" to others. I failed miserably.

There are more guilt-free perks of being god-free and I may be back to add those thoughts too.

idav

Being
Premium Member
The bright side of atheism is no supernatural deity watching everything you do even in private. Atheists just have to worry about their governments doing that.

TheGunShoj

If you are an atheist and believe that friday the 13th brings bad luck, then you are a false Atheist.

That doesn't make a false atheist. What does good or bad luck have to do with the belief in a God which is the only dilemma that atheism addresses? You can believe in anything else that you want to other than God and you are just as atheist as the next.

Your confusion may come from the fact that many atheist also fall under the skeptic, empiricist or other labels as well, so typically they don't believe in other mythical or far fetched claims either.

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
The bright side of atheism is no supernatural deity watching everything you do even in private. Atheists just have to worry about their governments doing that.

Still they have to fear;the poor atheists; with no rewards or promise of any rewards in the hereafter!!!!???

Regards

TheGunShoj

Still they have to fear;the poor atheists; with no rewards or promise of any rewards in the hereafter!!!!???

Regards

What is to fear? That just makes my life now infinitely more valuable because it's the only one I have. And non existence didn't bother me before I was born, I doubt it will bother me once I'm gone. I literally will not have the capacity to fear at that point.

idav

Being
Premium Member
You mean the Atheists/Agnostics/Skeptics have many cults???!!!

How many cults they have? Please

Regards

I was attempting to be humorous. Belief in god doesnt determine belief in spirituality. I cant imagine an atheist being mad of someone not being true atheist lol.

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
This thread is almost inspired by another one, recently started.
I didn't even want to post in that thread. Because, experience tells me that Atheism has no dark sides, nor negative aspects.

An atheistic person learns to be autonomous from God. An Atheist is necessarily autonomous, given that they believe in no deity.
But this autonomy is what enables people to trust the human nature and to fight for the development of our mankind.
By rejecting superstition, fatalism, determinism, fear of God and so on.

1) Intellectutal honesty. My observations are not forced into supporting preconcieved conclusions.
2) Bacon.
3) Moral and ethical honesty. My understanding of right and wrong is a result of MY consciousness, not forced based on authoritative doctrines.
4) Beef.
5) Curiosity. The freedom to question even in the absence of answers, rather than struggling with dogmatic answers that are not allowed to be questioned.
6) Shellfish.

Looncall

Regards

How about no hereafter? No carrot, no stick. It's up to us.

Morality based on scripture, with the threat of hell and the promise of heaven, is no morality at all. It's been outsourced to others.

No wonder clerics can so easily send their "flock" (What an insult! Sheep are so stupid.) to do murder.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
That doesn't make a false atheist. What does good or bad luck have to do with the belief in a God which is the only dilemma that atheism addresses? You can believe in anything else that you want to other than God and you are just as atheist as the next.

Your confusion may come from the fact that many atheist also fall under the skeptic, empiricist or other labels as well, so typically they don't believe in other mythical or far fetched claims either.

all right. In your opinion, what would be the reasons why an Atheist may believe that a black cat brings bad luck?

and above all: how can a cat or the number 13 bring bad luck? What is the physical process that enables that to happen? (always explained from an atheistic perspective)

Looncall

all right. In your opinion, what would be the reasons why an Atheist may believe that a black cat brings bad luck?

and above all: how can a cat or the number 13 bring bad luck? What is the physical process that enables that to happen? (always explained from an atheistic perspective)

Please excuse my sticking my nose in.

I'm not aware that such superstitions require a god. So, atheists can follow them just like anyone else, whether they make any sense or not.

Their connection with religion is just that they too are ancient errors that have persisted in culture.

TheGunShoj

I don't know, superstition? lack of skepticism, rational and critical thinking? I don't believe in those things so I can only speculate but those are completely separate from the belief in a deity, which is the only thing atheism addresses. Case closed.