• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Christian Attitude Toward Homosexuals and Homosexuality

Skwim

Veteran Member
In another thread the following exchange took place:
Person A: "Why do you assume that homosexual identity is sinful? the bible doesn't say so."

Person B: " XXXXXXX has admonished me not to be using the bible any more on his thread, so I'm not going to be able to answer your question. Sorry."
Because no such thread has been forthcoming I've taken it upon myself to create one; showing that the while the Bible doesn't consider "homosexual identity" to be sinful, it does suggest that homosexual acts are.

OLD TESTAMENT
Leviticus 22
You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination

NEW TESTAMENT
Romans 1:26-27
26 For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; 27 and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11
9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, 10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

1 Timothy 1:8–10
8 Now we know that the law is good, if one uses it lawfully, 9 understanding this, that the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who strike their fathers and mothers, for murderers, 10 the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine,

Now, given that homosexual acts are "an abomination," "shameless," and "unrighteous," and that such lawless individuals "will not inherit the kingdom of God" it appears the Bible feels that, if nothing else, homosexuals should at least abstain from sexually expressing themselves---I assume that homosexuals can live together as a couple as long as they remain celibate.

So, is this the prevailing attitude among those Christians who favor gay rights and such: it's okay to be homosexual, just don't practice homosexuality?

Or, is it:

A) Not okay to even be a celibate homosexual.

B) Okay to be a practicing homosexual.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I'm often times thinking about obese people gorging themselves with shellfish and pork at the local buffet while their children run around like little heathens disrespecting everyone in the establishment.

Why don't we hear sermons about that?

Skwim

Veteran Member
How about Judge not lest ye be judged?

Love your neighbor?

I'm often times thinking about obese people gorging themselves with shellfish and pork at the local buffet while their children run around like little heathens disrespecting everyone in the establishment.

This isn't even clever side-stepping.
icon13.gif

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

Because most religious people pick and choose what they want from their religious books based on their own biases, and have no problem whatsover being hypocritical or inconsistent?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

I wonder how many obese people who gorge themselves on shellfish and pork while their kids run around disrespecting everybody in the establishment also financially support these preachers.

Maybe because money talks? :shrug:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The OP title is wrong.
It should read...
" The Various Christian Attitudes Toward Homosexuals and Homosexuality "

Karl R

So, is this the prevailing attitude among those Christians who favor gay rights and such: it's okay to be homosexual, just don't practice homosexuality?

Or, is it:

I can't speak for all christians who favor gay rights. I can only speak about my own attitude.

If you look carefully at 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 and 1 Timothy 1:8–10, you'll notice that practicing homosexuals are lumped in with those of us who have told lies, those of us who have bad-mouthed our least favorite politicians, and those of us who have engaged in premarital sex.

I certainly hope it's okay to be a practicing homosexual. Otherwise, I'm just as screwed as they are.

arhys

Probably not the prevailing attitude among individual so-called Christians who promote deviance (all or nothing with that crowd), but it is certainly the prevailing attitude among churches. Such an attitude can be justified by Scripture, which teaches that all human beings are of sacred worth (being made in the image of God), but not that all actions are of sacred worth.

arhys

Leviticus 19:17-18: Rebuke your neighbor frankly so you will not share in his guilt. Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself."

Loving your neighbor as yourself means not allowing him to plot a path to destruction, nor allowing yourself to go along with him.

Skwim

Veteran Member
The OP title is wrong.
It should read...
" The Various Christian Attitudes Toward Homosexuals and Homosexuality "
So you know for certain that not all Christians are in agreement!? What are you, the revolting god or something?

Skwim

Veteran Member
I can't speak for all christians who favor gay rights. I can only speak about my own attitude.

If you look carefully at 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 and 1 Timothy 1:8–10, you'll notice that practicing homosexuals are lumped in with those of us who have told lies, those of us who have bad-mouthed our least favorite politicians, and those of us who have engaged in premarital sex.

I certainly hope it's okay to be a practicing homosexual. Otherwise, I'm just as screwed as they are.
Apparently you are. :shrug:

arhys said:
Leviticus 19:17-18: Rebuke your neighbor frankly so you will not share in his guilt. Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself."

Loving your neighbor as yourself means not allowing him to plot a path to destruction, nor allowing yourself to go along with him.
Therefore you what, rebuke all homosexuals or just practicing homosexuals?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Person A: "Why do you assume that homosexual identity is sinful? the bible doesn't say so."

Person B: " XXXXXXX has admonished me not to be using the bible any more on his thread, so I'm not going to be able to answer your question. Sorry."
Because no such thread has been forthcoming I've taken it upon myself to create one; showing that the while the Bible doesn't consider "homosexual identity" to be sinful, it does suggest that homosexual acts are.

OLD TESTAMENT
Leviticus 22

NEW TESTAMENT
26 For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; 27 and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, 10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

8 Now we know that the law is good, if one uses it lawfully, 9 understanding this, that the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who strike their fathers and mothers, for murderers, 10 the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine,

Now, given that homosexual acts are "an abomination," "shameless," and "unrighteous," and that such lawless individuals "will not inherit the kingdom of God" it appears the Bible feels that, if nothing else, homosexuals should at least abstain from sexually expressing themselves---I assume that homosexuals can live together as a couple as long as they remain celibate.

Or, is it:

I don't think that's a "given" at all! What is known is that none of these passages speak of sexual orientation. Homosexuality as an orientation was unknown to these people. So, logically, if the acts in question occur, they occur in spite of one's orientation toward the opposite sex, not as a result of one's orientation toward the same sex. To act "unnaturally," therefore, would be an "abomination." IOW, what's unnatural is acting against one's nature -- and here, one's nature is to be drawn to the opposite sex.

Now, if that's what's going on here, then I wholeheartedly agree. One shouldn't act in opposition to one's orientation. Where I wholeheartedly disagree is when people try to assert that the bible is against homosexual acts that are undertaken by homosexuals toward homosexuals.

edit: BTW, I'm "person A" in the example above, and I stand by the statement: The bible doesn't say homosexual identity is sinful.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
As nice as it would be, you really can't force people to like you and accept you. Tolerance is about the best you can expect . It may be the right thing to do, but you can't force it. In an ideal world people would accept others almost Indiscriminately. People have a right to not accept what others do. You can either whine, moan, and complain about it non-stop or you can ignore it and get on when your life. If someone doesn't like you, then just say "they aren't worth my time" and then stop worrying about it. It may not be fair to have to do, but educating people (and not in a hostile way)is the best hope of sometime gaining acceptance of certain legal rights- such as marriage. (I am not saying I don't accept gays, I am just speaking generally).

I see all people as individuals, no matter their ethic group, sexual orientation, religion, creed, etc. If people are nice to me, then I will be their friend. If people aren't nice to me, I will still have Christian love for them, but I won't want to be a friend. People generally treat people they way they are treated (this isn't always true, but mostly is).

EDIT: Not all Christians believe all the same things, we don't like being labelled unfairly, too.

Last edited:

Me Myself

Back to my username
I don't think that's a "given" at all! What is known is that none of these passages speak of sexual orientation. Homosexuality as an orientation was unknown to these people. So, logically, if the acts in question occur, they occur in spite of one's orientation toward the opposite sex, not as a result of one's orientation toward the same sex. To act "unnaturally," therefore, would be an "abomination." IOW, what's unnatural is acting against one's nature -- and here, one's nature is to be drawn to the opposite sex.

Now, if that's what's going on here, then I wholeheartedly agree. One shouldn't act in opposition to one's orientation. Where I wholeheartedly disagree is when people try to assert that the bible is against homosexual acts that are undertaken by homosexuals toward homosexuals.

edit: BTW, I'm "person A" in the example above, and I stand by the statement: The bible doesn't say homosexual identity is sinful.

So you dont think the bible is completely accurate or the perfect word of God? You do understand it was limited by the ignorance of men?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

Indeed. :)

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

OLD TESTAMENT
Leviticus 22
NEW TESTAMENT

Or, is it:

Most people don't seem to understand that a word for homosexuality - is NOT in Romans 1:26-27, 1 Corinthians 6:9-11, or 1 Timothy 1:8–10, - and Leviticus 18:22 is questioned because of its wording in Hebrew.

V'eith zakhar lo thish'kav mish'k'veiy ishah toeivah hi

HOMOsexuality (or self-love) is just another form of selfishness. It is being reblious against God and is usually stemming from bitterness towards one or both parents.