• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Christian Attitude Toward Homosexuals and Homosexuality

Skwim

Veteran Member
I think it neither here nor there. Persecutions occur in diverse and unconnected cultures. South American archeology shows homosexuals were sometimes persecuted, but this has little bearing upon the Bible canons. Much nearer to Bible cultures you find Greece, where homosexuality was admired. Why not draw from that the conclusion that we'd be surprised if the Bible writers didn't admire homosexuality? After all it has been popular in many places throughout history. When speaking of the Bible, we are talking about thousands of years. A lot happens in a thousand years.

See HERE

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That is unforgiveable, Skwim.

I can never forgive what has been done to me and my loved ones by ministers, and I would not expect those children to forgive. I do not forgive it. The situation is very bad, but Christians can be held accountable using reason. Ingledsva makes some valid points about the Bible. Also Christianity is not indestructible and can be changed, improved or abandoned. Its own scriptures say so. The facts on the ground are that homosexuals have been getting beaten black & blue with Bibles in many places. That is going to change and is being changed, but there is no adequate compensation for what has happened. The only thing to do is to make the present much better and to comfort the wounded. Then we can talk about the future.

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I don't think that true 'pure' christianity has any issues with homosexuality at all. But then, the sad bit is, I don't know of a true 'pure' christian church. Most churches are Pauline, and Paul was a raging, compensating(?) homophobe in the extreme.

Jesus's speech about not coming to change the old Jewish laws was an 'aside' to give him a chance to send his true canvassing messages, and his real anger and aggression was towards the priesthood, which had totally sold out to the invaders. leaving the people 'up the creek'. Well..... that's what I think......

Pity, because 2000 years down the line, all these various christian communities are simply glue-set into so many sad tenets. Even now, in England, after the passing of the 'same-sex-marriage bill' onto our House of Lords, it looks as if it might get altered out of all recognition, by comparison with what our Prime Minister wanted to achieve.

My opinion of our PM has risen hand over fist just recently, even if his agenda is driven by his image-makers!

Skwim

Veteran Member
Ingledsva said:
What exactly does this have to do with the topic?
It addresses Brickjectivity's point that the Bible's attitude toward homosexuality is ancient history: " When speaking of the Bible, we are talking about thousands of years. A lot happens in a thousand years." My point being that in recent times (the Dutch Roman Catholic church in the 1950s) some Christians still abided by the Bible's view.

oldbadger said:
I don't think that true 'pure' christianity has any issues with homosexuality at all. But then, the sad bit is, I don't know of a true 'pure' christian church. Most churches are Pauline, and Paul was a raging, compensating(?) homophobe in the extreme.
Don't all christian denominations practice "true 'pure' Christianity" in their own eyes?

Last edited:

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
HOMOsexuality (or self-love) is just another form of selfishness. It is being reblious against God and is usually stemming from bitterness towards one or both parents.
Huh??

Homosexuality doen't mean "self-love" it means being attracted to a person of the same sex as yourself. It is not rebellion against god, it is a natural feeling that someone experiences, actually it's the same feeling that heterosexuals feel toward someone of the opposite sex. How is love for another person considered selfish?

As to your strange assertion that homosexuality usually stems from bitterness towards one's parents ... you're out to lunch on that one. I have no idea what your basis is for making such an assertion.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Skwim said:
Don't all christian denominations practice "true 'pure' Christianity" in their own eyes?
oldbadger said:
I guess so.........sad, eh?
Not all churches think that. I've run into some that are otherwise, but then they are no longer denominations because of it. A denomination, by definition, would not be a denomination if it didn't think so.