• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Coffee House - the UU Fellowship Thread

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
*Sets out raspberry jam cookies and pear tea*

Homecoming Sunday is this week. I'm looking forward to having Dr. Sewell (my church's regular minister) back in the pulpit. I've been rather disappointed with the guest ministers this summer.

Does anyone else have a Homecoming Sunday to look forward to?

applewuud

Yes, we're getting a work team together to clear out the cobwebs on Saturday. Wish we didn't "recess" during the summer.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Me, too. Especially since it means I have to leave earlier in the morning. :coffee: (Over the summer, my church switches from two services to one.)

That's a mild annoyance, though. Mostly, I'm looking forward to better services and seeing those who take the summer off.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Davidium doesn't frequent these forums the way he used to, so it's doubtful that he'll see this, even if he could get online. But I'll post anyway, and send this prayer out into the e-universe:

We are thinking of you and yours David, as Ike bears down on Galveston. It's likely that you are living in Chicago now but still have friends in Galveston. We are thinking of your UU fellowship as well.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
:( I just found out today that my church's budget shortfall is so bad that they might actually be closing it down for July. :(

And yet, we still give half our offeratories to local charities. I love my church.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
:( I just found out today that my church's budget shortfall is so bad that they might actually be closing it down for July. :(

And yet, we still give half our offeratories to local charities. I love my church.
Is that Marilyn Sewell's church? I hear that Portland's unemployment rate is 10%. Sorry that the church is hurting so badly.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Storm's church is large - if I remember correctly it's got three choirs (including the bell choir). My own church, another large one, is short on our budget too. Things are bad all around right now. How is yours doing financially, GG?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Storm's church is large -
I heard it was the largest in the country, in fact.

if I remember correctly it's got three choirs (including the bell choir).
Not counting the two bell choirs or children's choirs. And I think they might have just added a fourth, though it might have been the older children's choir.

applewuud

My church had a congregational meeting yesterday...returns from investments are down, we've used up a rainy day fund to get a new heating system. To keep a minister at all (she's currently half-time), we have to increase pledges or other income by $30,000--almost 50%. The treasurer doesn't think that's likely.

And we haven't had summer services as long as anyone can remember.

But oddly, I think we'll get through it. We're paying a lot of attention to the community as a whole, and the pledge process has been sort of weak in previous years. Other parts of the community are turning to us more...it's not uncommon in financial crisis that people need "invisible means of support". ;)

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Well, I have some interesting news.

I think I got called to ministry last Sunday. At least, I know I have to serve, and ministry was what first sprang to mind.

I've made appointments with my lay minister and the intern minister who unofficially takes care of the Young Adults group, to talk it through and figure out my first step.

Trey of Diamonds

Well, I have some interesting news.

I think I got called to ministry last Sunday. At least, I know I have to serve, and ministry was what first sprang to mind.

I've made appointments with my lay minister and the intern minister who unofficially takes care of the Young Adults group, to talk it through and figure out my first step.

Spectacular!