• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Death Penalty

kai

ragamuffin
If an innocent guy dies in prison, he surely has no chance of being acquitted at a later date.
Well they have and the do get aquitted all be it too late.
The only difference is, while people are still being unjustly convicted, this dead inmate's corpse wasn't injected with chemicals....
Indeed
Feeling better about it is an empty sentiment... because the bottom line is you're still talking about a dead innocent convict.
Yes i am and so are you we must remember that
At the same rate, we might as well be putting the guilty ones to death... especially now that it's getting harder and harder to convict innocent people.
well why dont we wait until its not possible to convict innocent people then we can all have our justice

kai

ragamuffin
So it isn't that the death penalty is wrong it is the process of determining the guilty,a life sentence for murder in the UK is 15 years and with good behaviour its 10,compare that to the victim and all the people that are related,freinds family etc,the sentence is forever.
In 10 years you have to take a chance that the murderer has been rehabilitated and seen the wrongs of His/Her ways and comes out of Prison a new person until you hear on the News that said person has killed again.

actually in the UKthe convicted man gets a "Tariff" which is decided by the judge on the facts of the case. if the Tarrif is say 15 years then thats his first chance of parole not when he is released, a "lifer " is always on licence even if he should get his first parole which is rare.

If a judge feels that this person should not be released at all then he can say so. or give him a Tarrif of say 25 to 30 years where he is obviously going to die in prison due to his age.

If a judge were to give a tarrif of say 10 to 15 years he would be unlikely to feel that this offence carries the death penalty don't you think.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Then i suggest we suspend all state killings until we have the perfect judicial system that makes no mistakes. Once we have a perfect system i will back the death penalty.

There is no such thing as a perfect justice system that makes no mistakes. Should we suspend everything that is not perfect? If so we are all in trouble.

kai

ragamuffin
There is no such thing as a perfect justice system that makes no mistakes. Indeed, so we know it makes mistakes and jails people by mistake should we not look again at any system that kills people by mistake?Should we suspend everything that is not perfect? If so we are all in trouble.

No! shall we stay on subject?

Enoch07

Premium Member
No! shall we stay on subject?

The justice system we have is correct 99% of the time. That is good enough. The very very very few that are wrongly executed is worth the price to pay to keep murderers off the street.

gnomon

The justice system we have is correct 99% of the time. That is good enough. The very very very few that are wrongly executed is worth the price to pay to keep murderers off the street.

Cognitive Myopia.

It may not be Utopia but it's the next best thing without trying.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
That is a disgusting sentiment, especially since the death penalty's ability to lower crime is tenuous (and most of the evidence suggests that it has the opposite effect).

e: ^what he said

kai

ragamuffin

i hope you never have to pay that price. or have to explain the pricing structure to the innocent persons family. and remember that price is optional you don't have to pay it at all to keep murderers off the streets.

Last edited:

Enoch07

Premium Member
i hope you never have to pay that price. or have to explain the pricing structure to the innocent persons family. and remember that price is optional you don't have to pay it at all to keep murderers off the streets.

That is fine with me. If my wrongful execution saves even 1 child from being raped and murdered then that is a good trade.

gnomon

That is fine with me. If my wrongful execution saves even 1 child from being raped and murdered then that is a good trade.

Would you add saving 1 child from being taught dispensationalism and your moral views to that list? Might be a fairer trade.

Nobody worry. They can't be offended if they have you on ignore.

Poisonshady313

especially since the death penalty's ability to lower crime is tenuous (and most of the evidence suggests that it has the opposite effect).

There is no such evidence.

less than 1% of murderers in this country in the past 33 years have been put to death.

The number of prisoners California has on death row at this point in time is more than half the number of executions that have ever taken place in this country in the past 33 years.

1174 executions... and it's as if capital punishment doesn't even exist.

There are many states that have the death penalty that, for very many of the last 33 years haven't executed anyone at all.

So when you say "most of the evidence suggests that it has the opposite effect"... I laugh, because it's a joke.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
There is no such evidence.

less than 1% of murderers in this country in the past 33 years have been put to death.

The number of prisoners California has on death row at this point in time is more than half the number of executions that have ever taken place in this country in the past 33 years.

1174 executions... and it's as if capital punishment doesn't even exist.

There are many states that have the death penalty that, for very many of the last 33 years haven't executed anyone at all.

So when you say "most of the evidence suggests that it has the opposite effect"... I laugh, because it's a joke.

The death penalty has been around for 5,500 years without ever putting an end to murder. Some deterrent!

Poisonshady313

The death penalty has been around for 5,500 years without ever putting an end to murder. Some deterrent!

Every murderer who has been put to death has never murdered another person.

And the death penalty has never been effectively put to use.

I'd like to see it given the chance to work the way it's supposed to. In more states, publicly, with more than half the population of death row being executed during any given year.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'd like to see it given the chance to work the way it's supposed to.

The death penalty has not worked in all of its 5,500 year history. Yet, you are for giving it yet another chance. And another. And another. I'm sorry, but that's madness.

Poisonshady313

The death penalty has not worked in all of its 5,500 year history. Yet, you are for giving it yet another chance. And another. And another. I'm sorry, but that's madness.

I believe the number of people who have been rightly executed in the last 5,500 years is a lot lower than the number of people who should have been executed in the last 5,500 years. Which means its effectiveness cannot rightly be measured

If you think you can prove me wrong, I'd love to see what you have to offer.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I think more people should get the death penalty.
If you molest children, or really if you commit any violent crime against children, or if you are a rapist or if you kill someone just to be mean when they've done nothing wrong, you should be shot in the face once and then have your neck broken an hour later if you're not dead yet. I think if rapists and child molestors knew that would be their penalty, they would be less likely to rape people or kill them. I mean, I like to steal things sometimes, because I know the worst that will happen isn't really bad, but if I knew that there was a possibility of me being shot in the face and having my neck broken, I wouldn't steal anything anymore.

Think of it this way: Does this world need rapists and child molestors in it? Would the world be a better place if people who rape and murder children (and adults) weren't alive anymore? I certainly think so. It's not like nice people are getting the death penalty. I think it should be reserved for the really bad people who actually hurt other people, so I see it as a completely positive thing.

+People might be more scared to commit violent crimes if they know they'll be killed as punishment
+People who do commit these crimes will get punished for what they did
+We won't have as many sexual perverts and murderers in our world if we execute them.

That's the way I see it.