• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The debate of God.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I don’t think it would be best for theist to figure out exactly why they believe what they do because they may see that believing in gods that can perform miracles or people who can rise from the dead, a little far reaching.

I think a big reason why people believe in something because mum and/or dad did, pretty simple really. On occasion, someone may see the light as an adult but it’s about your upbringing

Well, that apllies to all upbringing including non-religious objective morality ideologies. It is not only theists that can run into that problem.

Madsaac

Well, that apllies to all upbringing including non-religious objective morality ideologies. It is not only theists that can run into that problem.

This is true.

However, in general, do you feel that non theists may question things a little more. I have no objective evidence on this just a 'gut' feeling. :)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I feel as though the whole debate over God has been going the wrong way. Atheists many times give reasons why religions make no sense. Theists many times try and come up with scientific evidence for god. They work occasionaly, but I feel they aren't the correct ways of going about this.

I think it woul be best to figure out exactly why people believe what they do. What I mean by that is that every theist, of any religion, have their own personal reasons why they believe, and vice versa. I think we should get to the core of why people believe, and perhaps we can see more people becoming atheists, or (though I hope not) more people becoming theists

Does anyone disagree?
I think it boils down to thy own self be true.

It's one of the core reasons why I think religion, particularly faith-based ones are strictly personal and meant for you and you alone , and is for absolutely nobody else.

BrightShadow

Atheists many times give reasons why religions make no sense.

And yet - if you drop an Atheist at 2am in the middle of an African Jungle with lions and Hyenas - the Atheist will call out for help from God. IMO :D

Op is probably long gone!

I think it woul be best to figure out exactly why people believe what they do.

As I said in my post # 78 - we are born with a natural inclination towards recognizing and believing in God. God created us that way. It is an inherited ability to recognize the existence of God. However our upbringing and certain aspects of environmental effect can block this ability and stop it from manifesting or growing.
It could be blocked until you find yourself in a tough predicament (on a plane about to crash, lost in the middle of a Jungle etc.) - and then it unleashes again! The words - "God if you are out there - please help" - comes out of the mouth! ;)

So, why people believe in God?
Some believe because they are born into it, some believe because they found themselves in tough positions and sought, some believe because they are smart and realize there must be a creator BUT all believe because they are born with natural inclination to believe.
The ones who don't believe - are broken! :brokenheart:

Madsaac

And yet - if you drop an Atheist at 2am in the middle of an African Jungle with lions and Hyenas - the Atheist will call out for help from God. IMO

It could be blocked until you find yourself in a tough predicament (on a plane about to crash, lost in the middle of a Jungle etc.) - and then it unleashes again! The words - "God if you are out there - please help" - comes out of the mouth!

Yes, it may be because it seems all other options have been exhausted. However, you still have many options available but have already called for god's help.

Quite the difference.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
The debate of God.

Reason without its conjugal partner, Word of Revelation, can never find G-d, and it should not, right?:

6:104
Eyes cannot reach Him but He reaches the eyes. And He is the Incomprehensible, the All-Aware.

Regards
6:104
لَا تُدۡرِکُہُ الۡاَبۡصَارُ ۫ وَہُوَ یُدۡرِکُ الۡاَبۡصَارَ ۚ وَہُوَ اللَّطِیۡفُ الۡخَبِیۡرُ ﴿۱۰۴