• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The default position...

Status
Not open for further replies.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
An 'agnostic' would be uncomfortable with either answer. An 'atheist' would be comfortable with the 'No' answer....that's an important difference. Anyway, I 'get' your technical argument but that doesn't change the colloquial use of words.
But, most people who identify as atheists merely lack a belief in God. They don't actively believe that no god or gods can exist. Many of them will claim that there is merely insufficient evidence. Don't you think that these atheists would prefer the definition used in the dictionary?

Also, can you cite where you are getting your definition of these terms from? Or are you just going by how you have come to subjectively think the terms are used in common discourse?

outhouse

Atheistically
But, most people who identify as atheists merely lack a belief in God. They don't actively believe that no god or gods can exist.

This brings up a great point in conscious rejection and belief.

I did at one time have a belief there was no god, but with knowledge I no longer have a belief of any kind.

Its like math. I don't believe 2 is the answer to 1 + 1 = I know it is 2.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
This brings up a great point in conscious rejection and belief.

I did at one time have a belief there was no god, but with knowledge I no longer have a belief of any kind.

Its like math. I don't believe 2 is the answer to 1 + 1 = I know it is 2.
and forgive me if this is a stupid question, but you do identify as atheists correct?

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Are you saying 'agnosticism' is a subcategory of 'atheism'. Technically, you might make an argument but they words have different meaning in colloquial speech.

Theist: Believes God exists
Agnostic: Is not sure if God exists
Atheist: Does not believe God exists

This is the colloquial use of the words.
Atheist/theist speaks to what a person BELIEVES. Agnostic/gnostic speaks to what a person KNOWS.

Most atheists are agnostic. Atheism not being a knowledge claim is essentially agnostic.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Why does this create a problem in your mind?
Because I'm not an atheist. I don't hold a position towards either end. Atheism does not describe my views, and theism does not describe my views.
It creates a problem when people try to claim my views are something they aren't.
As I said earlier, some have moved beyond the atheist/theist dichotomy.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Atheist/theist speaks to what a person BELIEVES. Agnostic/gnostic speaks to what a person KNOWS.

Most atheists are agnostic. Atheism not being a knowledge claim is essentially agnostic.
And what of a person who believes both God exists and God does not exist?

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Because I'm not an atheist. I don't hold a position towards either end. Atheism does not describe my views, and theism does not describe my views.
It creates a problem when people try to claim my views are something they aren't.
As I said earlier, some have moved beyond the atheist/theist dichotomy.
But that doesn't make sense. 'Moving beyond' a dichotomy?

If you are not a theist, you are an atheist - why is that so difficult? It is an either/or proposition. If you do not hold the position of belief in a theistic god - you are atheist.

Curious George

Veteran Member
No, they must just be having difficulty understanding a simple dichotomy.
You do realize this is more akin to a scientific view as this is precisely what we do in science, we falsify theories. We do not assume nothing is true until someone comes along and persuades us.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
You do realize this is more akin to a scientific view as this is precisely what we do in science, we falsify theories. We do not assume nothing is true until someone comes along and persuades us.
How does that relate to what I said?
A person is either theist, or not. You can not be neither.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
If you are not a theist, you are an atheist - why is that so difficult? It is an either/or proposition. If you do not hold the position of belief in a theistic god - you are atheist.
What's so difficult about accepting some of us are not either one?

Curious George

Veteran Member
How does that relate to what I said?
A person is either theist, or not. You can not be neither.
I asked about a belief and you connected that belief to a lack of understanding such that others should question the sanity of a person holding such a belief. Well, as it turns out a holder of such a belief may grasp dichotomies more so than most. And the view is valid. So, the above has to deal with explaining the view which I am assuming you did not understand. Hopefully we can get back to my original question of you now...what is a person who believes both are true?

Status
Not open for further replies.