• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The default position...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Well certainly if they lack the capacity to believe they cannot believe the proposition God does not exist is true.

If they cannot believe such a proposition then they do not believe it. If they do not believe God does not exist, according to you, they then believe God does exist. Of course this is a contradiction, because babies cannot believe. Thus, with this proof by contradiction, the statements cannot be equal.
That doesn't make sense - of course babies can not believe in God, belief in God is a belief they do not have. How you figured that was a 'proof by contradiction' I can only imagine.

Curious George

Veteran Member
That doesn't make sense - of course babies can not believe in God, belief in God is a belief they do not have. How you figured that was a 'proof by contradiction' I can only imagine.
Lol
You said premise 1.

Premise 1:
not believing that god does not exist= believing God exists.
Premise 2:
Babies cannot believe.

Therefore babies cannot believe that God does not exist.

Since, not believing God does not exist is equal to believing God exists

Babies believe that God exists.

This contradicts, our second premise

Therefore either the first or the second premise is not true.

Assuming your premise, leads to the absurdity that babies believe in God.

Game, set, match...thank you for playing.

atanu

Premium Member
Person: No, I just told you I believe neither that God exists nor that he doesn't. What's wrong with you?

I think, the sentence would be correct or easier to comprehend if the person said: "I neither believe nor disbelieve."

atanu

Premium Member
Can anyone don't believe God exists and at the same time don't believe God doesn't exist? It maybe possible when the person is undecided on which way to approach?

Don't believe God exists doesn't equal to believe God doesn't exist?

No it doesn't equal simply because the person who says "I don't believe God exists" can just continue with "and I don't believe he doesn't exist either. I just don't know what to believe."

How can one say "I don't believe that X exists" and also "I don't believe that X doesnot exist" in same breath? "I don't believe that X exists" means "I believe that X does not exist".

Consider "I don't believe that there is beer in fridge". This person believes that there is no beer in the fridge. Now, if he were to say in same breath "I don't believe that beer is not in the fridge", most likely he is out of his mind.

Probably there is confusion regarding the use of double negation. It is perfect to say "I neither believe nor deisbelieve in God. I have not considered the question at all." Or " I neither believe nor disbelieve, since I found no confirmation this way or that way."

ArtieE

How can one say "I don't believe that X exists" and also "I don't believe that X doesnot exist" in same breath? "I don't believe that X exists" means "I believe that X does not exist".
Of course it doesn't. You aren't really saying that a person can't just say "I don't know what to believe so I won't commit to believing any of them?"
Probably there is confusion regarding the use of double negation. It is perfect to say "I neither believe nor deisbelieve in God.
No it isn't to not believe is the same as disbelieving.
I neither believe nor disbelieve, since I found no confirmation this way or that way."
To not believe is the same as disbelieve. You mean "I neither believe God exists nor do I believe God doesn't exist, since I found no confirmation this way or that way."

atanu

Premium Member
Repeating doesn't help. Try using different words. Grammatically what you say doesn't make sense.

There is no repeat. One part says "I have no belief" and the second part says "I have no disbelef either".

atanu

Premium Member
Consider "I don't believe that there is beer in fridge". This person believes that there is no beer in the fridge. Now, if he were to say in same breath "I don't believe that beer is not in the fridge", most likely he is out of his mind.

Of course it doesn't. You aren't really saying that a person can't just say "I don't know what to believe so I won't commit to believing any of them?"

Such a person is out of his mind. He actually says "i believe there is no beer" and then he says "i believe there is beer".

Such a person should say "I have not enough data to decide".

ArtieE

There is no repeat. One part says "I have no belief" and the second part says "I have no disbelef either".
Still doesn't make any sense. Saying "I have no belief" is the same as saying "I disbelieve". Try using different words.

ArtieE

Such a person is out of his mind. He actually says "i believe there is no beer" and then he says "i believe there is beer".

Such a person should say "I have not enough data to decide".
This doesn't make sense either. A person who says "I have not enough data to decide" is an agnostic.

Status
Not open for further replies.