• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The default position...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
As I said, rather than write - 'doesn't believe God does not exist'', just edit out the double negative and write it as 'believes God exists'. That will save you a lot of confusion.
But that's the whole point.

The belief "God exists" points at god being true. The belief "God does not exist" points at god being false.

And then there is the position that we refrain from pointing. We refrain from asserting the uncertainty of either position, because asserting uncertainty either way does us no good.

Curious George

Veteran Member
What proof? You've lost me.

As I said, rather than write - 'doesn't believe God does not exist'', just edit out the double negative and write it as 'believes God exists'. That will save you a lot of confusion.

I apologise if you took what I said as an ad hominem attack, but who (other than a person trying to be deliberately deceptive, or with poor English skills ) would write; "I didn't not go to the shop today!", in favour of "I went to the shop today."?
"
Just try it George - instead of writing; "Doesn't believe God does not exist", substitute "believes God exists" and the "proof" you presented evaporates in a flash of bad grammar.
This is not a double which cancels out. Perhaps, you were unaware that all double negatives do not cancel in the English language. Not a problem, just ask. :)

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
But that's the whole point.

The belief "God exists" points at god being true. The belief "God does not exist" points at god being false.

And then there is the position that we refrain from pointing. We refrain from asserting the uncertainty of either position, because asserting uncertainty either way does us no good.
If you do not believe God exists, or 'refrain from pointing' you are atheist.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
This is not a double which cancels out. Perhaps, you were unaware that all double negatives do not cancel in the English language. Not a problem, just ask. :)
Of course it was a double negative. Sorry George, but you seem to be being deliberately deceptive - let's just leave it there.

Wiki has a great and very straightforward page on double negatives if you are interested.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
No belief before consideration.
You need something in your head first.

Now if you prefer....and you should....
We learn to say no....before we learn anything else.
No....is the first word we learn.

Then it's just a matter of who got to the child first.

Most of the world seems to think there is Something Greater.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Not if you also do not believe God does not exist.

Or what would be your word for that?
"Not if you also do not believe God does not exist"? My word for that would be 'Theist'.

The double and triple negative game is as pointless as it is boring Willa.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
"Not if you also do not believe God does not exist"? My word for that would be 'Theist'.

The double and triple negative game is as pointless as it is boring Willa.
So... Atheist: the person who refuses to accept that belief and disbelief are positions or views on the world.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
So... Atheist: the person who refuses to accept that belief and disbelief are positions or views on the world.
Let's leave it there Willa, you are being deliberately obtuse - and I am bored to death with these pointless obfuscations.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Let's leave it there Willa, you are being deliberately obtuse - and I am bored to death with these pointless obfuscations.
Okay. But it will come up again. I'm not being obtuse, it just seems that you cannot understand. So it will come up again. And again. As long as we are on these forums.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Of course it was a double negative. Sorry George, but you seem to be being deliberately deceptive - let's just leave it there.

Wiki has a great and very straightforward page on double negatives if you are interested.

I think you misunderstand, again.

I did not say it was not a double negative (I really hope you can appreciate the humor of this sentence).

I said your misunderstanding likely comes from the assumption that all double negatives cancel out. The first clue should have been the negatives applying to different verbs.

For example, one who watches no t.v.
Could claim they watch no t.v. shows that do not have swearing. This does not mean they watch t.v. shows with swearing. For as we note, they watch no t.v. shows period. This would include t.v. shows with and without swearing.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
I think you misunderstand, again.

I did not say it was not a double negative (I really hope you can appreciate the humor of this sentence).

I said your misunderstanding likely comes from the assumption that all double negatives cancel out. The first clue should have been the negatives applying to different verbs.

For example, one who watches no t.v.
Could claim they watch no t.v. shows that do not have swearing. This does not mean they watch t.v. shows with swearing. For as we note, they watch no t.v. shows period. This would include t.v. shows with and without swearing.
George, the double negative in question cancels out. I'm bored with the double negative game George, I have better things to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.