• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The default position...

Status
Not open for further replies.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
The problem is that you end up using the same label for some one who merely has no belief either way, / and for some one who actively dis-believes in the idea of a deity. These are two very different positions, not just in semantics, but in format. It simply doesn't work.
Theism = the belief in the existence of God or gods.
Atheism = the lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

They are both incredibly general terms including a multitude of subcategories. What is the problem?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
They are two forms of the same term. When you speak of one, the other is present.
Right. And, my argument is that one of the "forms" of the term "atheism" ("atheist") only applies to people.

This is the same with "science" and "scientists", "strategy" and "strategist", etc.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
imagine the look on a little kids face.....
Hey!......you're an atheist!.....I'm surprised you didn't know that!

leibowde84

Veteran Member
You keep using the implication like a crutch.

pretty lame ....I think.
How am I using it as a crutch? It is what the word means and is the topic of this discussion. I would not be in favor of assigning the term atheism to anyone who could consider the option on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.