• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Easyway to Stop Smoking

4consideration

Premium Member
Thanks for the happy birthday to my son. He told me on his birthday that us quitting smoking was the best birthday present he ever got -- even better than Xbox1. :)

It does feel good. I am having a much easier time breathing.

I don't think about smoking much, so it surprises me sometimes when a thought about it pops up. I find it helpful to still internally say, "Yay, I don't have to do that." when I see someone smoking. It helps me remember to keep thinking of it as something to celebrate, rather than a sad, unfulfilled longing. I don't experience the longing feeling for more than a second or two, and only rarely. Other times I had quit the longing was a regular feeling that prompted sadness and made it tough to stay quit.

A week ago I was in my home town at a visitation/funeral, and a group of 3 friends I've known all my life were talking with me. I said I wanted to go outside because it was so crowded and I wanted some air. One of them was surprised to see me go outside, but not for the purpose of smoking, and even commented that she had come outside since I had always been her "smoking buddy." When I told my friends I had quit, they were interested in how, so the rest of our conversation ended up being about the book.

I think some, or all, of them will try it. My little sister has a copy of it, too.

Thanks. :)
@Poisonshady313, I mentioned in my post above more than a year ago that my younger sister had a copy of the book. Update on that.

She had gotten a copy of the book from her library, let it ride around with her in her car until it was due back at the library, then returned it.

About 2 months ago she decided she was really ready to quit and bought a copy of the book. She's now been a non-smoker for more than 6 weeks.

Thanks for your suggestion of that book.

Poisonshady313

@Poisonshady313, I mentioned in my post above more than a year ago that my younger sister had a copy of the book. Update on that.

She had gotten a copy of the book from her library, let it ride around with her in her car until it was due back at the library, then returned it.

About 2 months ago she decided she was really ready to quit and bought a copy of the book. She's now been a non-smoker for more than 6 weeks.

Thanks for your suggestion of that book.
That is wonderful news. Thank you for sharing that.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
The easier way to quit smoking:

1.) Throw pack in trash
2.) Don't buy another pack
3.) Have the discipline to say no

That's how I quit

Poisonshady313

The easier way to quit smoking:

1.) Throw pack in trash
2.) Don't buy another pack
3.) Have the discipline to say no

That's how I quit
I'm pleased to hear that it worked for you. My father used a similar method, except the first step was different... he smoked his last pack, then just stopped buying them.

Unfortunately, this isn't effective for most people.

If "just stop" were enough, there wouldn't be as many different smoking cessation methods, and none of them would make any money.

The point is to change the way you think about smoking even before you stop, so that there is no feeling of being deprived when you resolve to put out your final cigarette. When you approach the decision to become a non-smoker with a feeling like you're gaining freedom, rather than dread and regret, you're much more likely to stay a non-smoker, and you're much less likely to struggle for the rest of your life with an itch you're not allowing yourself to scratch.

Sensor

I'm trying to stop, but I've come to realise that I simply replace one addiction by another, the less I smoke the more chocolate I eat...

Poisonshady313

I'm trying to stop, but I've come to realise that I simply replace one addiction by another, the less I smoke the more chocolate I eat...

I highly recommend picking up a copy of Allen Carr's book. It's not expensive at all, and not only has it helped my own friends and family, it has helped a number of people here at RF.

Easyway changes the way you think about smoking, which changes the way you think about quitting.

Smoke as you normally would while you read, read the whole thing, and follow his instructions, and you too can find it easy to stop smoking.