• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Family - A Proclamation to the World

madhatter85

Transhumanist
The Family: A Proclamation to the World
spacer.gif

The First Presidency and Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

We, the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children.

All human beings—male and female—are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny. Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose.

In the premortal realm, spirit sons and daughters knew and worshiped God as their Eternal Father and accepted His plan by which His children could obtain a physical body and gain earthly experience to progress toward perfection and ultimately realize his or her divine destiny as an heir of eternal life. The divine plan of happiness enables family relationships to be perpetuated beyond the grave. Sacred ordinances and covenants available in holy temples make it possible for individuals to return to the presence of God and for families to be united eternally.

The first commandment that God gave to Adam and Eve pertained to their potential for parenthood as husband and wife. We declare that God's commandment for His children to multiply and replenish the earth remains in force. We further declare that God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between man and woman, lawfully wedded as husband and wife.

We declare the means by which mortal life is created to be divinely appointed. We affirm the sanctity of life and of its importance in God's eternal plan.

Husband and wife have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children. "Children are an heritage of the Lord" (Psalms 127:3). Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, to teach them to love and serve one another, to observe the commandments of God and to be law-abiding citizens wherever they live. Husbands and wives—mothers and fathers—will be held accountable before God for the discharge of these obligations.

The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities. By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners. Disability, death, or other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation. Extended families should lend support when needed.

We warn that individuals who violate covenants of chastity, who abuse spouse or offspring, or who fail to fulfill family responsibilities will one day stand accountable before God. Further, we warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets.

We call upon responsible citizens and officers of government everywhere to promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society.

This proclamation was read by President Gordon B. Hinckley as part of his message at the General Relief Society Meeting held September 23, 1995, in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Any comments? Questions? Debates? Concerns?
I for one love this statement

Random

Predictable? Why is it that very few familys are actually like what is described there?

I just meant that the OP struck me as typical of the general Abrahamic stance on familial relations.

Why are there very few families like the OP? Good question. Possibly because the world would be in a worse state than it currently is (which would be hard...) were it a fact that the male in every household rules over his clan like a president. In most houses the practical reality is that the mother's influence is greater, or @ least the strongest determining factor in decision making for the family. What do you think the reason is, Madhatter?

Jesus promised a day when there would be no more marriage (and thus no more family as we understand it...). Worth mentioning...

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
It's one of many opinions about what a family can be. If it's an opinion you share . . . bully for you. If it's an opinion you want to force others to share through the power of the law . . . you are a bully. :D

Random

doppelgänger;900815 said:
It's one of many opinions about what a family can be. If it's an opinion you share . . . bully for you. If it's an opinion you want to force others to share through the power of the law . . . you are a bully. :D

You are proud of your family and children, Bren, rightly so. Would you consider yourself president of the unit, king of the clan, a Patriarch by default? Or does the Missus bust your balls too much? :D

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice

QFT :yes:

A

angellous_evangellous

... or religion .... :rolleyes:

FFH

Veteran Member
Why are there very few families like the OP? Good question. Possibly because the world would be in a worse state than it currently is (which would be hard...) were it a fact that the male in every household rules over his clan like a president. In most houses the practical reality is that the mother's influence is greater, or @ least the strongest determining factor in decision making for the family.
If there is love in the home, one for another, there is no issue about one being more important than the other. That is where division starts..

We are all equal in the eyes of the Lord...and when we begin to put ourselves one above another that's when we get into problems...

The master is no greater than the servant. The husband is no greater than the wife, they are equal in the eyes of God as are the employer and the employee, for instance...

We should be busy serving and loving one another.

Jesus promised a day when there would be no more marriage (and thus no more family as we understand it...). Worth mentioning...
Haven't heard that one, that's a first for me...

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
You are proud of your family and children, Bren, rightly so. Would you consider yourself president of the unit, king of the clan, a Patriarch by default? Or does the Missus bust your balls too much? :D

We're pretty much equal partners, I'd say. We try to play to each of our strengths. In some matters she's the final arbiter, while in others I am. If it came to fisticuffs though, she's a second degree brown belt in Kenseido and used to teach kickboxing . . . :eek:

FFH

Veteran Member
Funny..;)

madhatter85

Transhumanist
I just meant that the OP struck me as typical of the general Abrahamic stance on familial relations.

Why are there very few families like the OP? Good question. Possibly because the world would be in a worse state than it currently is (which would be hard...) were it a fact that the male in every household rules over his clan like a president. In most houses the practical reality is that the mother's influence is greater, or @ least the strongest determining factor in decision making for the family. What do you think the reason is, Madhatter?

I agree with the fact that the mother's infulence is a very strong one. but it states in the message:
"In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners."

how does that represent a structure of "King of the clan?" I would say Patriarch and Matriarch of the family better suits that statement. because the idea is that married couples should act as a unit rather than separately.

Random

I agree with the fact that the mother's infulence is a very strong one. but it states in the message: "In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners."

How does that represent a structure of "King of the clan?" I would say Patriarch and Matriarch of the family better suits that statement. because the idea is that married couples should act as a unit rather than separately.

I understand your point, however, the conceit in Abrahamic religion persists that the male is Head of the household and the female/mother subordinate to him. It is a Patriarchal form of religion and there is no recognition even of the existence of the word "Matriarchy". Whether as a (politically incorrect) rule or a conceit, the fact remains the same: obedience to Jewish, Christian or Islamic law requires male dominance. I am not judging that fact, only stating that it is so as a point of fact.

The practical difference is in what happens day to day in families. Here the equality hinted @ in certain portions of the OP may begin to take root and be realized.

Runt

Gender is a social construction not bound by biological sex. Thus, the purpose of an individual's life need not be determined by biological sex or socially-imposed gender roles.

So long as a marriage is founded on mutual love and consent, it is good and valid, whether between a man and a woman, two women or two men.

While children are probably more likely to be "better off" with the love, support and guidance of two parents, a single parent is more than sufficient to raise a healthy and happy individual and should not be looked down upon for parenting a child alone or having a child out of the bonds of marriage.

Men and women are equally capable of nurturing, protecting and providing for their children. Therefore, men and women need not have different roles within the household, except those which they willingly impose upon themselves by virtue of preference or aptitude.

Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, to teach them to love and serve one another, and to help them develop free thinking, discretion and moral agency.

FFH

Veteran Member
It's funny because it's true.
yeah, I guess so..;) You know your human psychology well..

It's my fault tho, I asked him to find it and post it, so I could read it here at work, but it's a good read for all..

Very powerful document that sums up what we beleive...no need to go into any more details than are in that document, unless one joins the LDS faith..

That sums up our beliefs pretty much... nothing complicated about the LDS faith...too simple...

PureX

Veteran Member

Any comments? Questions? Debates? Concerns?
I for one love this statement
This is a very good example of how prejudice and oppression naturally and automatically follow whenever human beings set themselves up as spokesmen for God. It happen every time, because what they are doing is essentially putting their own ideas, including their own ignorance and prejudice, into the mind and mouth of God himself, and then proclaiming their own unquestionable righteousness by reiterating it to the world as if it were coming from God, Himself.

I find this sort of thing both dangerous and offensive. And I find the people who do this to be ignorant and selfish and completely careless of the thoughts and ideas and feelings of others. They carry no spiritual weight with me, they deserve little respect in this regard, and will be treated accordingly.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
yeah, I guess so..;) You know your human psychology well..

It's my fault tho, I asked him to find it and post it, so I could read it here at work, but it's a good read for all..

Very powerful document that sums up what we beleive...no need to go into any more details than are in that document, unless one joins the LDS faith..

That sums up our beliefs pretty much... nothing complicated about the LDS faith...too simple...

I have to add; The Truth is always simple, it is never complex or ill-logical.

I was raised by just my mother becasue my biological father decided to run from responsibility rather than face the concequences of his actions.
Disability, death, or other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation. Extended families should lend support when needed.

my extended family have been literally life-savers when it came to me and my mother.