• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Family - A Proclamation to the World

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Gender is a social construction not bound by biological sex. Thus, the purpose of an individual's life need not be determined by biological sex or socially-imposed gender roles.

So long as a marriage is founded on mutual love and consent, it is good and valid, whether between a man and a woman, two women or two men.

While children are probably more likely to be "better off" with the love, support and guidance of two parents, a single parent is more than sufficient to raise a healthy and happy individual and should not be looked down upon for parenting a child alone or having a child out of the bonds of marriage.

Men and women are equally capable of nurturing, protecting and providing for their children. Therefore, men and women need not have different roles within the household, except those which they willingly impose upon themselves by virtue of preference or aptitude.

Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, to teach them to love and serve one another, and to help them develop free thinking, discretion and moral agency.

There's some good stuff written there.

I don't agree with male+male or Female+Female relatiosnhips. And this is nto because of my upbringing or "values", but rather it's just common sense.

just take a look a the Difference between the sexes from a merely physical standpoint. It is impossible for two females to concieve a child, just as it is impossible for two males to concieve a child together.
If it were meant to be why would god restrict that function between males and females exclusively?

on a nother note:

Surely it is god's plan for all of his spirit children to come to earth and recieve bodies. no?

It is human nature to procreate and replenish the earth, correct?

I am sure what happens is people think that they are "in love" with a person of the same sex, it's completely misunderstood. I believe it is human nature to love one another nomatter what the sex and that some people misunderstand thier own feelings thinking they are "in love" rather than just loving them as one friend loves another.

Then there's people who want to be different or be on the "bandwagon" and they will do anything to be accepted by the people they feel they want acceptance from.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Surely it is god's plan for all of his spirit children to come to earth and recieve bodies. no?

It's dangerous to think you know for sure what the Divine wants, if it indeed wants anything.

I think the human race has done this already quite well.

rojse

RF Addict
To risk in derailing the thread, it seems that the statement is biased towards the "traditional" family of the husband, wife, and children. What about a family with no father or mother, due to a death? Or a husband and wife that cannot have children? Are these unordained by God?

Runt

I don't agree with male+male or Female+Female relatiosnhips. And this is nto because of my upbringing or "values", but rather it's just common sense.

just take a look a the Difference between the sexes from a merely physical standpoint. It is impossible for two females to concieve a child, just as it is impossible for two males to concieve a child together.

If it were meant to be why would god restrict that function between males and females exclusively?
Well yes, if you believe that marriage is only about procreation, I can see how this would be true. But I believe that the unitive aspect of sex and marriage takes precedence over procreation. I know you believe that while love transcends gender, romantic love only arises between a man and a woman, but I have to disagree based upon the testimonies of homosexual and bisexual men and women I have known, as well as my observations of them. As for children... children can be adopted and raised in love by same-sex couples to be healthy and happy adults. I've seen it more than once. There is also the possibility of artificial insemination and surrogate motherhood for women.

I don't know. I personally do not believe God or the soul exist, although I recognize that I might be wrong and have no right to tell others that they are wrong. Thus, for me there are no spirits in Heaven waiting for embodiment, nor is there a God with a plan... So I would have to say no, or at least I have no reason to think so.

The notion that the purpose of life is simply to beget more life rings hollow and unfulfilling to me. Far more meaningful, for me personally, is the purpose to enrich the lives which we have...

jonny

To risk in derailing the thread, it seems that the statement is biased towards the "traditional" family of the husband, wife, and children. What about a family with no father or mother, due to a death? Or a husband and wife that cannot have children? Are these unordained by God?

"Disability, death, or other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation. Extended families should lend support when needed."

Runt

"Disability, death, or other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation. Extended families should lend support when needed."
What if a family does not want to have children, but is perfectly capable of conceiving, bearing, and rearing them?

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Well yes, if you believe that marriage is only about procreation, I can see how this would be true. But I believe that the unitive aspect of sex and marriage takes precedence over procreation. I know you believe that while love transcends gender, romantic love only arises between a man and a woman, but I have to disagree based upon the testimonies of homosexual and bisexual men and women I have known, as well as my observations of them. As for children... children can be adopted and raised in love by same-sex couples to be healthy and happy adults. I've seen it more than once.

I do not believe sex is only for the mere act of procreation, it is to bring two peopel closer together as a couple within the bonds of matrimony. Matrimony is about raising a family and seeing your generations progress toward thier full potential. but nomatter how much you adopt, that child youa dopted was concieved of a male and a female union, and will never be truely "Your child"

The notion that the purpose of life is simply to beget more life rings hollow and unfulfilling to me. Far more meaningful, for me personally, is the purpose to enrich the lives which we have...

Life itself perpetuates more life. Just as happiness perpetuates more happiness. If life did not mean to bring abotu more life and more happiness, then life would end and have absolutely no meaning.

jonny

What if a family does not want to have children, but is perfectly capable of conceiving, bearing, and rearing them?

Good for them. I'd hope they'd get surgery to prevent pregnancy. I don't want people to have children who don't want them any more than they do.

madhatter85

Transhumanist

Then thier lineage will end and thier family and thier family's name will die with them and will never be remembered as someone's father or mother. it's a sad sad thing to think of.

Smoke

Done here.
Then thier lineage will end and thier family and thier family's name will die with them and will never be remembered as someone's father or mother. it's a sad sad thing to think of.
Tragic. Think of the awful barrenness of childless failures like Flannery O'Connor, Greta Garbo, George Washington, Rosa Parks, Immanuel Kant, Dr. Seuss, Emily Dickinson, Margaret Mitchell, Arthur C. Clark, Helen Keller, Florence Nightingale, Simone de Beauvoir, T. S. Eliot, Cole Porter, Louis Armstrong, Julia Child, Ralph Nader, Isaac Newton, Linus Pauling, Joyce Carol Oates, Dolly Parton, the Wright Brothers, Walt Whitman, P. G. Wodehouse, David Souter, Eudora Welty, Sartre, Nietzsche, Nureyev, and that wandering, rootless freak, Jesus. Frittering their lives away like that when they should have been breeding.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
nobody cares about thier fruitless labors anyways, Except Jesus, and i would bet money he had a family, and he certainly wasn't "homosexual"

cardero

Citizen Mod
I’m sort of at odds. There is a part of me that the family unit is an illusion. Having a mother and father who divorced in my early teens and a sister who detached herself from the remaining family 2 years ago after my mother had passed away, the family unit seems like an unreachable dream (in other words you cannot make someone love you). There is another part of me that feels its important but if I was to speculate what GOD thought about it, I do not believe that GOD stands on the marriage ceremony, that if people no matter what gender, creed or color wanted to gravitate towards each other and try a committed, responsible living unit this would be understandable to Him. I do not believe that children of families are properties of parents but usually express their own individuality, their own path toward professional, recreational, spiritual interests. Families can consist of any group or any community and we all seem to be responsible for each other in some way. RF is like a caring family.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
The Family: A Proclamation to the World
spacer.gif

The First Presidency and Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

We, the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children.

All human beings—male and female—are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny. Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose.

In the premortal realm, spirit sons and daughters knew and worshiped God as their Eternal Father and accepted His plan by which His children could obtain a physical body and gain earthly experience to progress toward perfection and ultimately realize his or her divine destiny as an heir of eternal life. The divine plan of happiness enables family relationships to be perpetuated beyond the grave. Sacred ordinances and covenants available in holy temples make it possible for individuals to return to the presence of God and for families to be united eternally.

The first commandment that God gave to Adam and Eve pertained to their potential for parenthood as husband and wife. We declare that God's commandment for His children to multiply and replenish the earth remains in force. We further declare that God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between man and woman, lawfully wedded as husband and wife.

We declare the means by which mortal life is created to be divinely appointed. We affirm the sanctity of life and of its importance in God's eternal plan.

Husband and wife have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children. "Children are an heritage of the Lord" (Psalms 127:3). Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, to teach them to love and serve one another, to observe the commandments of God and to be law-abiding citizens wherever they live. Husbands and wives—mothers and fathers—will be held accountable before God for the discharge of these obligations.

The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities. By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners. Disability, death, or other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation. Extended families should lend support when needed.

We warn that individuals who violate covenants of chastity, who abuse spouse or offspring, or who fail to fulfill family responsibilities will one day stand accountable before God. Further, we warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets.

We call upon responsible citizens and officers of government everywhere to promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society.

This proclamation was read by President Gordon B. Hinckley as part of his message at the General Relief Society Meeting held September 23, 1995, in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Any comments? Questions? Debates? Concerns?

I for one love this statement
I have absolutely no problem with the above statement. If People choose to believe this and choose to engage in this kind of marriage then I support their decision. I don’t think that we should discriminate against these kind of mixed marriages (i.e. male and female). I strongly believe we should treat them with the same kind of respect that we give to male-male or female-female marriages.:rainbow1:

madhatter85

Transhumanist
I’m sort of at odds. There is a part of me that the family unit is an illusion. Having a mother and father who divorced in my early teens and a sister who detached herself from the remaining family 2 years ago after my mother had passed away, the family unit seems like an unreachable dream (in other words you cannot make someone love you). There is another part of me that feels its important but if I was to speculate what GOD thought about it, I do not believe that GOD stands on the marriage ceremony, that if people no matter what gender, creed or color wanted to gravitate towards each other and try a committed, responsible living unit this would be understandable to Him. I do not believe that children of families are properties of parents but usually express their own individuality, their own path toward professional, recreational, spiritual interests. Families can consist of any group or any community and we all seem to be responsible for each other in some way. RF is like a caring family.

I'm sorry for your loss and your situation. I know alot of families that handle situations completely differently. I think what mattters most is when families are struck with tragedy, it is HOW they handle it, not just "what happens"

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice

So, the only purpose to life is to get married and have lots of children? That's very 18th century. Nobody is ever remembered for anything else other than having children. Right.

I suppose all those people who are infertile ought to just kill themselves. Wouldn't want them to waste their lives.

:rolleyes:

Runt

nobody cares about thier fruitless labors anyways, Except Jesus, and i would bet money he had a family, and he certainly wasn't "homosexual"
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not when you suggest that there is no value to those individuals' works and lives and no reason to care about them...

Also, I'm fairly certain nobody called Christ a homosexual, so what the heck are you talking about?

Runt

It sounds as though you are reducing the value of a human being to his or her capacity to procreate...