• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The flaw in the argument that feminism is bad because it ignores men's issues

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
One of the links provided as an example of feminist blocking MRA's was a small news article about a women's group blasting the governor of New York, Elliott Spitzer calling him unfit for office because he regularly hired prostitutes.He was being wire tapped and investigated by the IRS and the FBI and it was found he had spent over 80,000 in several years on call girls and I think he was actually investing in one call girl establishment.Its my understanding that political officials were also calling for his resignation and if not discussions were on starting the impeachment process.

Please someone tell me how that is feminism blocking MRA's attempts at some sort of movement on any issue?

Alceste

Vagabond
There never was a name for them, actually. They were very informally organized, and I met some of them through a meditation group I led. A few random chats over coffee led to the invitation. We met at a park under a tree and dished. What was very sad was that the group themselves felt rather powerless, and that the only thing they could do was act as more of a support group for themselves than for activism.

I can find a couple of them again (thank you FB). Since we had known each other for years, and see how their group is doing. They gave advice on what feminism can be offering differently, but after thinking about it, I think it's much more empowering to create and act not by piggybacking off another group, but to learn from another group on what they did and to repeat it for themselves.

I know back then, my first desire was understanding. It then became a discussion of awareness. I wouldn't mind offering more information on how change has occurred for women's rights from grassroots to government policy so that they feel like they're not stagnating on men's issues.

Oh, and when it comes to male victims of rape, I believe this ought to be at the top if not close to it for their and other men's groups. There are way too many male survivors that have absolutely nowhere to go.

That's what I think too. Settling on a major social problem and doing something about it is galvanizing, empowering, raises the profile of your group, attracts donations, attracts new members and starts a real public conversation.

You've got to pick an issue with pretty significant social implications though. Custody is a great choice. Inadequate support services for male victims of sexual assault and domestic violence, also a good choice. Over-prescription of ADHD drugs for boys, too.

I don't think protecting men from false rape accusations is going to garner much support because the whole subject is so touchy. Also MRAs zeroing in on false rape accusations as an injustice to men in general when inadequate support for male rape victims is so much more serious an issue is... odd.

I think they will do better and be more well received if they spend more time on activism and less time on anti-feminist polemics. If your organization's main occupation is criticism of other organizations, the sorts of people who can actually get **** done (AKA activists) aren't going to join. They'll feel like they're wasting their time and resources.

Alceste

Vagabond
One of the links provided as an example of feminist blocking MRA's was a small news article about a women's group blasting the governor of New York, Elliott Spitzer calling him unfit for office because he regularly hired prostitutes.He was being wire tapped and investigated by the IRS and the FBI and it was found he had spent over 80,000 in several years on call girls and I think he was actually investing in one call girl establishment.Its my understanding that political officials were also calling for his resignation and if not discussions were on starting the impeachment process.

Please someone tell me how that is feminism blocking MRA's attempts at some sort of movement on any issue?

It isn't feminism. It's courts and politicians, but feminists are pretty good at getting a sound bite or reaction quote wedged into the relevant media coverage.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
That's what I think too. Settling on a major social problem and doing something about it is galvanizing, empowering, raises the profile of your group, attracts donations, attracts new members and starts a real public conversation.

You've got to pick an issue with pretty significant social implications though. Custody is a great choice. Inadequate support services for male victims of sexual assault and domestic violence, also a good choice. Over-prescription of ADHD drugs for boys, too.

I don't think protecting men from false rape accusations is going to garner much support because the whole subject is so touchy. Also MRAs zeroing in on false rape accusations as an injustice to men in general when inadequate support for male rape victims is so much more serious an issue is... odd.

I think they will do better and be more well received if they spend more time on activism and less time on anti-feminist polemics. If your organization's main occupation is criticism of other organizations, the sorts of people who can actually get **** done (AKA activists) aren't going to join. They'll feel like they're wasting their time and resources.

I can't frubal you again yet, but excellent post all around!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Spitzer is such a dirt bag, that even bags of dirt object to the comparison. He committed very real crimes, but got off scot free. Nonetheless, some feminists (NOW) have criticized him on the basis that prostitution is fundamentally wrong. This is where I disagree with those feminists. I say one person has the right to boink another for pay....or, we aren't free if we can only give it up for free.

No one has ever offered to pay me (not counting Alceste's dubious private messages), but it could happen IRL.

Alceste

Vagabond
Spitzer is such a dirt bag, that even bags of dirt object to the comparison. He committed very real crimes, but got off scot free. Nonetheless, some feminists (NOW) have criticized him on the basis that prostitution is fundamentally wrong. This is where I disagree with those feminists. I say one person has the right to boink another for pay....or, we aren't free if we can only give it up for free.

No one has ever offered to pay me (not counting Alceste's dubious private messages), but it could happen IRL.

Oh come on rev. How can you turn down all that bacon I offered?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
[QUOTEAlso MRAs zeroing in on false rape accusations as an injustice to men in general when inadequate support for male rape victims is so much more serious an issue is... odd.][/QUOTE]

I agree.I swear I have seen and heard more complaints about that than the horror of ALL rape but specifically how many men are affected.And speaking of prison and unequal just /harsher sentences for "men verses women" ? I hear that being complained about when I think FIRST I would focus on STOPPING people who are imprisoned from being raped every single DAY! Its SICK to put a person in a cage for a crime they committed then stand around whistling dixie while they get gang raped.

At the same time try and work on keeping low level offenders out of there in the first place.