• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Golden rule or 'eye for an eye?'

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
I grow ever annoyed at the comments and arguments against revenge and capital punishment; "it doesn't solve anything; it won't bring them back to life". In the case of a wrongful death of a loved one, its not about bringing them back to life, its about a sense of justice and honoring their memory for all time.

Deidre

I grow ever annoyed at the comments and arguments against revenge and capital punishment; "it doesn't solve anything, it won't bring them back to life". In the case of a wrongful death of a loved one, its not about bringing them back to life, its about a sense of justice and honoring their memory for all time.
but violence will ALWAYS bring about more violence. even if we deem it as 'justifiable.'
:(

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
but violence will ALWAYS bring about more violence. even if we deem it as 'justifiable.'
:(

Well, Deidre there is always the dictum of "Forgive, but never forget". Depending on the circumstances I could adhere to that. I am, in truth, somewhat of a gentle soul. :smileycat:

Deidre

Well, Deidre there is always the dictum of "Forgive, but never forget". Depending on the circumstances I could adhere to that.

That, I agree with, but even with wars. Even 'justifiable' wars, it seems that we only end up inches ahead of where we once were. I believe in self defense, if someone is about to harm me, I have a right to defend myself. But, the DP seems like a calculated form of permanent punishment. It seems that we need to do a better job (as a society) to help people make better choices, as opposed to the DP being the band aid to correct future behaviors of others. It doesn't work.

So do you believe that revenge is still a dish best served cold? :p

Deidre

Again, for me, depending on the circumstances, Deidre, yes. I hope this doesn't make you think any less of me. I am compassionate, but I can also be ruthless.
I wouldn't think less of you, we are friends. :)
I wonder though, do you feel 'better' if you decide to exact revenge upon someone? I have spent a lot of my time during different times, being angry with people who just aren't worth it. The best revenge so to speak, is living well. For yourself. Ignoring those who have wronged you, and instead, taking the energy we waste on them, and focusing it on making a better life for ourselves. You may very well do all of that, but it still takes a lot of negative energy to exact revenge...or even think about it. (I've thought about it lol) :p

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
I wouldn't think less of you, we are friends. :)
I wonder though, do you feel 'better' if you decide to exact revenge upon someone? I have spent a lot of my time during different times, being angry with people who just aren't worth it. The best revenge so to speak, is living well. For yourself. Ignoring those who have wronged you, and instead, taking the energy we waste on them, and focusing it on making a better life for ourselves. You may very well do all of that, but it still takes a lot of negative energy to exact revenge...or even think about it. (I've thought about it lol) :p

Lets say for arguments sake Deidre that you and I were lovers. If someone were to attack you, to harm you, to kill you, I could not forgive them nor forget. And especially if I knew who your attacker was, I would hunt them down and exact an Eye for an Eye sense of justice upon them in accordance with my own will, with or without law enforcement officials. That is just simply who I am as a man, a human being, and a Setian.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Neither. Eye for an eye leaves us all blind, but "do unto others" comes with a lot of loopholes.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
I grow ever annoyed at the comments and arguments against revenge and capital punishment; "it doesn't solve anything; it won't bring them back to life". In the case of a wrongful death of a loved one, its not about bringing them back to life, its about a sense of justice and honoring their memory for all time.
Also, some people are just garbage that would benefit humanity by being removed from the Earth. Serial killers are a good example. Such as Ted Bundy, who escaped from custody and continued his killing spree. Giving him the chair put a stop to that, though. :) People who get off on torturing animals ("crush videos", for example) should be executed, too. They're just sick psychopaths and you can't change them.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Lets say for arguments sake Deidre that you and I were lovers. If someone were to attack you, to harm you, to kill you, I could not forgive them nor forget. And especially if I knew who your attacker was, I would hunt them down and exact an Eye for an Eye sense of justice upon them in accordance with my own will, with or without law enforcement officials. That is just simply who I am as a man, a human being, and a Setian.
It's a code of honor.

Kolibri

If "eye for eye" was kept in the court systems there would be less crime. Even when it came to scheming by means of false witnesses, this would prove to be an active warning to those that come after.

"The judges will thoroughly investigate, and if the man who testified is a false witness and has brought a false charge against his brother, you should do to him just as he had schemed to do to his brother, and you must remove what is bad from your midst. Those who remain will hear and be afraid, and they will never again do anything bad like this among you. You should not feel sorry: Life will be for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot." - De 19:18-21

Not that I am arguing for a change of today's polices, but the standard given in the Law of Moses was designed to create an effective deterrent against future crimes - when it was followed. I certainly would think twice if I knew the courts were consistent and truly unforgiving yet fair if I was thinking of harming my neighbor in anyway.

Deidre

I understand, but then...you'd go to prison. Would it have been worth it? I'm dead. My assailant is dead. And you've lost your freedom. :(
Our justice system sucks on many levels, so I can see why one would feel the desire to take matters into his own hands.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
I understand, but then...you'd go to prison. Would it have been worth it? I'm dead. My assailant is dead. And you've lost your freedom. :(
Our justice system sucks on many levels, so I can see why one would feel the desire to take matters into his own hands.

There needs to be some sort of "Eye for an Eye" legislation. Legalized "revenge" under special circumstances.

Deidre

There needs to be some sort of "Eye for an Eye" legislation. Legalized "revenge" under special circumstances.

lol I burst out laughing like...involuntarily. :D

Well, I imagine prison isn't a picnic, and the death penalty is already on the books.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
lol I burst out laughing like...involuntarily. :D

Well, I imagine prison isn't a picnic, and the death penalty is already on the books.

If I were an elected senator or representative I would introduce the "Eye For An Eye" legislation. :smileycat:

Deidre

If I were an elected senator or representative I would introduce the "Eye For An Eye" legislation. :smileycat:

haha I know you would. :D

But, many live by this 'rule' already...and look where the world is so, not sure it's beneficial in the long run. Even for those who wish to seek revenge, it does a person more harm than good. From a deep interpersonal level. It seems like it will bring peace, but...it never does.

ISIS would be an extreme example of this, but an example nonetheless.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
haha I know you would. :D

But, many live by this 'rule' already...and look where the world is so, not sure it's beneficial in the long run. Even for those who wish to seek revenge, it does a person more harm than good. From a deep interpersonal level. It seems like it will bring peace, but...it never does.

ISIS would be an extreme example of this, but an example nonetheless.

You do bring up very interesting points Deidre, this is why the "Eye For An Eye" legislation would have to be very specifically and accurately worded.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
"Justice" is such a devious, deceptive, painful, and ill-defined concept. What is "justice" to you is most certainly not just to another.

Domenic

The key word is: Justice.
There are two types, Mans Justice, and Gods Justice.
A Christian would follow Gods Justice. Here is how that works. God says, "Vengeance is mine." Since we are all property of God, anyone doing harm, or other wrongs to someone, they are doing it to Gods property. Since we are all Gods property, he is the only one to do justice. True he may not do it in mans fashion, or in mans time...but he will do it. If we wrong someone and want God to forgive us, he says to first go to that one, and make it right.

Jesus removed the, "An eye for an eye."